Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Thor/Mephisto drinking contest was pretty drat funny. The page with the drink names pops up in the funny panels thread regularly.

Yeah, he's good with the comedy stuff. The Master of Kung Fu issue basically just a straight up comedy issue about a doctor trying to transfer Shang-Chi's brain into an octopus to make a kung fu octopus. Also it has some great henchmen stuff in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No love for moongirl?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Covok posted:

Thor! You're right. Definitely read Thor. Jason Aaron's Thor is like one of the best runs. Possibly better than Walter Simonson!

Blasphemy. The actual order is Kirby, Simonson then Aaron. Then you have getting a paper cut on a trade of the DeFalco run, followed by the worst experience you can have with Thor, reading the JMS run.

I need to reread the Jurgens run, like I said in the DC thread and then for longterm writers there's what, Roy Thomas? Although Ol Roy introduced a lot of important things, and I'd say it's definitely worth reading, he plays up his continuity cop tendencies pretty bad here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Defalco gave us Erik Masterson and thus Thunderstrike.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is that good or Bad to you?

I haaaaaaated Thunderstrike. I wanted Thor, not some douchebag with a beard that wasn't Thor.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Defalco gave us Erik Masterson and thus Thunderstrike.

Yeah, basically I was saying that DeFalco's run is just ok, at worst is boring but that JMS is so bad that accidentally cutting yourself on a collection of a decent but unspectacular comic is a far less painful and more rewarding experience than actually reading his work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Is that good or Bad to you?

I haaaaaaated Thunderstrike. I wanted Thor, not some douchebag with a beard that wasn't Thor.

You sir, are dead to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The most impressive part about Thunderstrike is he was able to find someone with adamantium/uru alloy piercing needles so he could have an earring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Huh? People make Thor bleed all the time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I know it didn't end well, but I don't remember JMS Thor being anything approaching terrible.

edit: I suppose giving way for JiM is ending well :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 11, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I know it didn't end well, but I don't remember JMS Thor being anything approaching terrible.

Same here. It's a bit preachy at times, especially when Iron Man shows up for a bit, but that's JMS. But it has a lot of interesting and fun stuff going on. If you don't think having Asgard in Oklahoma is at least a little bit fun, I just don't understand you.

It's at least way better than Matt Fraction's baffling run.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I've been enjoying Thanos and black Panther too

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'mma be honest. The origin Bendis created for the symbiotes may be a clumsy retcon, but it makes them a heck of a lot more interesting, and explains why an alien race exists to serve as clothing for different species in the first place.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Same here. It's a bit preachy at times, especially when Iron Man shows up for a bit, but that's JMS. But it has a lot of interesting and fun stuff going on. If you don't think having Asgard in Oklahoma is at least a little bit fun, I just don't understand you.

It's at least way better than Matt Fraction's baffling run.

It's aggressively boring in the worst way, and yeah the Oklahoma stuff was a good idea, although I think it's funny how thoroughly Jason Aaron salts the earth on that one.

I dunno, I just really dislike JMS, always have. I've never read a single comic of his that hasn't left a weird aftertaste in my mouth.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 11, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Beta Ray Bill is the only good alternate Thor.

(Ok, maybe Throg also).

Was Fraction's run somewhat of a fill-in after JMS left the book?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Huh? People make Thor bleed all the time.

Yeah, like, literal gods. Somehow I doubt Piercing Pagoda hires people on that level, even in the Marvel Universe.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'mma be honest. The origin Bendis created for the symbiotes may be a clumsy retcon, but it makes them a heck of a lot more interesting, and explains why an alien race exists to serve as clothing for different species in the first place.

What did he come up with? The old Planet of the Symbiotes said that they were emotional parasites who basically made their hosts like like that movie Crank until they died, and then moved on to the next host. I thought that was pretty decent explanation.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

What did he come up with? The old Planet of the Symbiotes said that they were emotional parasites who basically made their hosts like like that movie Crank until they died, and then moved on to the next host. I thought that was pretty decent explanation.

The new explanation is that the symbiotes are an alien race called the Klyntar and they're actually really swell folks. Apparently if one goes nuts for whatever reason like Venom, they can absorb it into the ol' hivemind and get it in order. Also apparently they're agents of "the cosmos" which is I guess like the Green Lantern Corps only you just hear the mission objectives in your head instead of having a little blue man dictate them to you?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Beta Ray Bill is the only good alternate Thor.

(Ok, maybe Throg also).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

The new explanation is that the symbiotes are an alien race called the Klyntar and they're actually really swell folks. Apparently if one goes nuts for whatever reason like Venom, they can absorb it into the ol' hivemind and get it in order. Also apparently they're agents of "the cosmos" which is I guess like the Green Lantern Corps only you just hear the mission objectives in your head instead of having a little blue man dictate them to you?

I think I prefer the old version

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought the symbiotes were created by a costume machine on Battleworld. :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Every explanation of the symbiote(s) since the original storyline seems worse and worse. As far as we knew it was a simple-minded organism subsisting off of Peter's physical activity that, after being bonded to him long enough to absorb human emotions and after being rejected by him, becomes a jilted lover of sorts. Not evil black goo or some symbiotehood of traveling superpants, just hell hath no fury like a costume scorned.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wheat Loaf posted:

I always thought the symbiotes were created by a costume machine on Battleworld. :shrug:
It wasn't a costume machine. In Secret Wars, it's clear that Peter goes to the wrong machine.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Teenage Fansub posted:

How did it end, anyway? I remember it being fairly abrupt because he didn't want to tie in with Siege, but that's about it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FoneBone posted:

How did it end, anyway? I remember it being fairly abrupt because he didn't want to tie in with Siege, but that's about it.

He ditched mid-storyline and Kieron Gillen took over

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I almost fell asleep reading that.

irlZaphod posted:

Was Fraction's run somewhat of a fill-in after JMS left the book?

No, he clearly had something in mind, it just wasn't very good. Which is surprising since despite a weak ending, his Thor God of Blood (or whatever the hell it was called) mini was pretty interesting and cool.

Like sure that part where some small-town preacher becomes a herald of Galactus was kind of neat, but the run as a whole is so disjointed and full of strange decisions. Like ok, you wanna make Thor not be tied to Donald Blake anymore, I can get behind that, nobody even knows who that guy is anymore. So you make Donald... a cuckolded, decapitated plant monster? What?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 11, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked that bit of JMS' Thor with the regular southern dude being with that Asgardian goddess.

I don't remember their names though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the guy was Bill. He ended up in Valhalla. :)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Bill as loving amazing and whatever else one might think of Asgard, Oklahoma that was a really effective side story.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

X-O posted:

Yeah, he's good with the comedy stuff. The Master of Kung Fu issue basically just a straight up comedy issue about a doctor trying to transfer Shang-Chi's brain into an octopus to make a kung fu octopus. Also it has some great henchmen stuff in it.

There is nothing better than some good henchmen stuff. Every once in a while I'll back and read the Hank Johnson: Agent of Hydra series from Secret Wars because it's so funny and great.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
At the time the JMS thing seemed like an unfortunate confluence of events where he was told he'd have two years to do Thor without the demands of crossovers or events, and Marvel ultimately stuck to that promise; the problem was that JMS had mapped out two years (twenty four issues) of story and he'd only finished about half of them when two years were up and Marvel wanted Thor back in the Avengers and part of the greater universe. He wanted more time to finish his planned "two year" run, and Marvel even pushed Siege/Age of Heroes back a bit to try to accommodate him, but when they finally told him they 'needed Thor back' he quit abruptly and hastily wrapped everything up with a (delayed by a few months) "Giant Size Finale" as Kieron Gillen did fill-in work based on conversations about how JMS's Thor would tie into Siege "once he wrapped up his story", except the first issue of that shipped the week after JMS's finale so they only kinda sorta lined up if I recall.

In the ensuing years JMS's work on The Twelve, Superman, Wonder Woman, Red Circle, Brave & the Bold, Squadron Supreme, etc. etc. etc. showed that JMS is the sort of person who quits a lot of projects midstream and blames his collaborators, throws artists under the bus for not completing issues that he hasn't actually written yet, etc. etc. etc. so maybe it was less a string of bad luck and more JMS's standard operating procedure.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

JMS gets cranky since in comics he can't make his garbage all on his lonesome, he made his bones with Babble On 5 after all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

In the ensuing years JMS's work on The Twelve, Superman, Wonder Woman, Red Circle, Brave & the Bold, Squadron Supreme, etc. etc. etc. showed that JMS is the sort of person who quits a lot of projects midstream and blames his collaborators, throws artists under the bus for not completing issues that he hasn't actually written yet, etc. etc. etc. so maybe it was less a string of bad luck and more JMS's standard operating procedure.

Sort of like a comics version of Bryan Fuller? :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Anything worth a poo poo from the MAX line besides Alias and Punisher? There is a MAX sale on comixology.

Edit: this sale also covers Edge and Frontier and Miracleman.

So anything good from that?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 12, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Hood
Cage
Wisdom
Fury maybe?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Miracleman's in that sale, so, Miracleman.

edit: So's this stuff called Frontier Comics. Can anyone vouch for that?
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Frontier-Comics-The-Complete-Collection/digital-comic/328211

ee: Elektra Assassin's in there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 12, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Aside from what has already been mentioned:

Greenberg the Vampire is a favorite of mine, Strange Tales, anything with Richard Corben art, Deadpool Max is goofily enjoyable

I read Children of the Voyager ages ago, I liked it, can't attest to the rest.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
So I expect a lot of fluff books to get cancelled over the coming year if the Fox Deal goes through at Disney. Got to make way Marvel's new A-list superhero teams the X-Men and Fantastic Four and their related universe of characters (Silver Surfer, Doom, X-Force, Future Foundation, etc. etc.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ooh boy. The MCU already introduced the concept of an intentionally created large shared universe into movies, the Fox deal could bring another comic book thing in; confusing partial hard reboots! Everybody likes Deadpool, so make Deadpool canon in the MCU, but the three main dudes from the other X-Men movies are all retired, so reboot the regular X-Men stuff into the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean they are already in the process of wrapping up this stretch of the universe, getting Fox just adds a few more toys for them to play with for the next big run.

• Locked thread