Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Well, actually this was solved in 2nd ed-

Simian_Prime posted:

I feel the best “fighter gets to do stuff outside of combat” rules were the AD&D 2e rules where at a certain level the fighter just had a personal army of dudes that would follow them just on the sheer strength of their reputation. You got a henchman Captain around your level and a group of 1st level “special forces” to do adventuring with you, and then a small army of 0-level soldiers to conquer nations and build forts and stuff.

Mechanically a lot of players and GMs hated it because meant more dice to roll, but if you could abstract it so that a fighter can use his army to impact the campaign world with minimal prep, it would help close the gap.

(Thinking of implementing a similar rule as an Advanced Fighter Move for Dungeon World. Working title: #squadgoals)

Dammit.

I feel like 4e has an easy houserule for this in that you just let characters pick whatever the heck skills they want, and everyone gets 4.
But then the Fighter's usually got STR, DEX and CON, so I hope you like physical skills, dummy.

Martial Practices helped allieviate this, but it still just feels like someone forgot to make the fighter do stuff outside of combat.

Most damning is that Fighters never seem to get a bonus to perception, which seems like a real garbage choice for the militia and guard class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

the author of this has a much brighter view of the DW Fighter than I do

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Countblanc posted:

the author of this has a much brighter view of the DW Fighter than I do

Flaws aside, I'd rather play a DW fighter than a D&D5e any class at all.

I was the wizard during the "D&D Next" public playtest thing and I was bored out of my loving skull.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

D&D Next has discouraged the 2e, Pathfinder and myself (4e) from actually running it, which is... That's certainly something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I have no problem with someone liking it, I just don't understand why

It's very densely packed, is the thing. You can't walk three steps without tripping over a set of warring kingdoms or an abandoned elf city. It's basically "if you don't know what to do for a campaign, stick a pin in the map".

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

FMguru posted:

The closest thing they have is "they get to do that damage all day", which is meaningless in practice because the party's adventuring day always when the spellcasters run low on prepared spells.

Changing topics: It's been more than a month since Green Ronin announced they were going to produce a full account of their relationship with CA Suleiman, complete with the world's most detailed timeline. I guess that has been shipped out to the ol' memory hole.

Not to mention Frog God games had a Humble Bundle deal, and Matt MacFarland is still plugging away at his kickstarter and is on the board of the Indie Game Developers Network with no acknowledgement of the accusations to either group. :sigh:

Looks like things are going to blow over, as the more cynical posters always predicted.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's very densely packed, is the thing. You can't walk three steps without tripping over a set of warring kingdoms or an abandoned elf city. It's basically "if you don't know what to do for a campaign, stick a pin in the map".

That's actually one of the biggest reasons I don't like it, it's too goddamned crowded

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Mostly can’t get into the stock 5e Realms because most of it feels painfully generic, the same way I feel about most high fantasy settings these days. The Second Sundering outlined that it really wasn’t a setting anymore, just a bunch of interchangeable setpieces where people’s actions no longer mattered because the reset button could be pushed at any time.

The most fun I had was a Godbound game I ran set in the Realms during the Time of Troubles, where every PC played a god of their choice and had the chance to bend the setting to their whims. The game ended with the liberation of Thay before RL got in the way and I had to wrap things up.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I like the realms cause it was the first big campaign world I read about that wasn't rifts, and compared to rifts it was pretty tame and made more sense.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So the game store I work at is having a passive-aggressive Used Board Games white elephant exchange for the holiday party and I want to ruin Set.

I'm planning on scribbling in permanent marker various unhelpful, distracting, and otherwise aggrivating messages on a standard 81-card deck of Set. I'm soliciting card concepts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Caught in a bad romance!
Imprisoned by good DC.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be clear, I also understand the utility and non-combat-role argument, but to me that feels like something that's on the side of the spellcaster to be "fixed".

What I was trying to get at was that even "make Fighters better" books like Tome of Battle for the most part didn't make Fighters "more useful", but rather gave them more interactive abilities that added a lot of damage.

But is there some inherent value in making your big damage ability something that needs to be explicitly declared?

And if the Fighters aren't the heavy hitters because Wizards, and lots of other classes are capable of dealing more damage than the Fighter, would it be enough to address that problem by making the Fighter be the absolute best at dealing damage, even if it's achieved through a basic attack?
Honestly, what you're describing is how 5e does it. Even ignoring gimmick builds a decently built fighter is doing more average or more reliable damage per round than the wizard or rogue. MMO fighters don't just get spike damage, they're either tanks who also get battlefield control in the form of threat generation and debuffs, or strikers who have spike damage, threat reduction, debuffs, and a bunch of aoe vs single target decisions. Half of being a striker in an mmo is knowing who not to attack.

A lot of the above doesn't translate to turn based, but the general thing is that your levers aren't just about doing more damage, they're about controlling, impacting, or adapting to the situation. In tabletop a limited use spike damage utility is good if you know adding a little extra oomph to this attack will knock a guy out this turn rather than next turn. Or a normal or even reduced damage attack that will stun or reposition the orc, or heal or reposition you (assuming a game where positioning is meaningful).

You're right that adding a damage boosting rotation is how some people try to fix fighters, but that's because they don't get what's wrong with fighters in the first place.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

the general thing is that your levers aren't just about doing more damage, they're about controlling, impacting, or adapting to the situation. In tabletop a limited use spike damage utility is good if you know adding a little extra oomph to this attack will knock a guy out this turn rather than next turn. Or a normal or even reduced damage attack that will stun or reposition the orc, or heal or reposition you (assuming a game where positioning is meaningful).

You're right that adding a damage boosting rotation is how some people try to fix fighters, but that's because they don't get what's wrong with fighters in the first place.

So what I'm getting here is, if we are adding "abilities" to Fighters, and granting that their basic attack is already sufficiently powerful as a baseline, what we should be looking at would be on the order of:

* something to guarantee a hit with
* something to deal even more damage
* something to AOE with
* something to inflict a debuff on an enemy
* something to place a buff on a friendly
* something to forcibly move an enemy (if it matters)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
that's all good for baseline combat but a large amount of a fighter's problem is lack of things to do outside of combat

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Flavivirus posted:

Not to mention Frog God games had a Humble Bundle deal, and Matt MacFarland is still plugging away at his kickstarter and is on the board of the Indie Game Developers Network with no acknowledgement of the accusations to either group. :sigh:

Looks like things are going to blow over, as the more cynical posters always predicted.

Its the bizarre upside down nature of the internet, but GR loving up so vocally and publicly was probably the most helpful thing in driving change. Without that visible target acting like a dipshit, the outrage momentum dies, and few groups are going to take action if they don't see a big outcry for it. MacFarland got that right off the bat and immediately went dark. Once GR stopped digging a hole for itself and put a pause on things, there wasn't another driver.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

So what I'm getting here is, if we are adding "abilities" to Fighters, and granting that their basic attack is already sufficiently powerful as a baseline, what we should be looking at would be on the order of:

* something to guarantee a hit with
* something to deal even more damage
* something to AOE with
* something to inflict a debuff on an enemy
* something to place a buff on a friendly
* something to forcibly move an enemy (if it matters)
Also if it's a tanky fighter some way to keep the enemy hitting you. A threat/marking system and/or some way to intercept attacks and/or in an inherently sticky system some way to get you beside an enemy or an enemy to beside you. But that's only part of the fighter problem(s)

Elfgames posted:

a large amount of a fighter's problem is lack of things to do outside of combat
Fighters need to be good at non combat stuff without having to pull from their good at fighter pool. Someone who can cast firebolt has both a combat thing and access to the "fire" verb out of combat. Someone who casts with their social stat is also going to be good at socialing. If all fighters have is a bunch of do damage and tank stuff then they can't meaningfully interact with the environment beyond punching it. It's not even a case of just handing them some talkgood abilities, you have to be careful not to sift lock them out if the basic interaction methods, like d20 does due to skill + stat being linearly cumulative and the uneven utility if ability scores.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

Mostly can’t get into the stock 5e Realms because most of it feels painfully generic, the same way I feel about most high fantasy settings these days. The Second Sundering outlined that it really wasn’t a setting anymore, just a bunch of interchangeable setpieces where people’s actions no longer mattered because the reset button could be pushed at any time.

The most fun I had was a Godbound game I ran set in the Realms during the Time of Troubles, where every PC played a god of their choice and had the chance to bend the setting to their whims. The game ended with the liberation of Thay before RL got in the way and I had to wrap things up.

The 5e Realms are pretty bad, yeah. You’re right in saying they took out a lot of what’s unique about the setting. The Realms are nowhere near as crowded as people make them out to be, but the level of detail is for sure a lot of what appeals.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I could swear there was a generic FFG thread but I can't find it. There also isn't one for Genesys, so has anyone picked it up yet and what do you think? I have experience with Edge of the Empire and I love the dice system.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

In that sense, if you can't make a mistake, why even have all these other buttons at all? Or to get to my conclusion immediately: would a simple "I attack" model work if the Fighter did a boatload of damage while doing it, under the assumption that the Fighter is already succeeding in using all of their attacks and abilities correctly and maximally?

Dealing boatloads of damage all the time ruins the utility of HP as a manageable resource. If the intent is not to use it as a manageable resource, then is there a reason to use HP as the health system?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I like my 4E Slayer just fine Gradenko

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Splicer posted:

Fighters need to be good at non combat stuff without having to pull from their good at fighter pool. Someone who can cast firebolt has both a combat thing and access to the "fire" verb out of combat. Someone who casts with their social stat is also going to be good at socialing.

Well, if you're going to hold onto ability scores at all, then clearly you need to redefine the ability scores so that all the skills aren't held by two-thirds of them and one third is basically useless. Take Strength, for example. Make it 'Might', and stick tactics, strategy, modern history, and intimidation under it. Take Constitution and make it 'Resolve', with resisting fear and persuasion and speaking plainly from the heart in it's portfolio. Then don't screw Martial types out of skills for no drat reason.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some time back, I had a couple vacancies in the paragon-tier 4e game I run on Roll20. I was a little worried that it'd be hard to find people interested in a game that was well underway, but I actually got a lot of applications. And a lot of them were really good applications!

But then there was also this:

The video link goes to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOh6CDUpfcY

I, uh... I didn't respond to that one.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

"Hey I, at a fundamental level don't understand 4e and also refuse to take anything seriously lest people think I'm not totally above it and cool, mind if I improv with you guys?"

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was actually kind of relieved at how bad an application it was because I didn't want to put any serious thought into whether or not I was going to invite someone called "The Alt-Rick" into my game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
"I want to use something from dndwiki" is code for "I am a terrible roleplayer and a terrible person, please beat me with an old garden hose".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Thank you for your interest in joining. You are hereby being served with a restraining order."

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Splicer posted:

Fighters need to be good at non combat stuff without having to pull from their good at fighter pool. Someone who can cast firebolt has both a combat thing and access to the "fire" verb out of combat. Someone who casts with their social stat is also going to be good at socialing. If all fighters have is a bunch of do damage and tank stuff then they can't meaningfully interact with the environment beyond punching it. It's not even a case of just handing them some talkgood abilities, you have to be careful not to sift lock them out if the basic interaction methods, like d20 does due to skill + stat being linearly cumulative and the uneven utility if ability scores.

This is really, really rough, but the idea is basically this:
-Abolish social skills/the very concept of a 'face' class
-Kill Charisma as a statistic
-Give classes modifiers to interact with others if the other party is familiar with their 'toolkit', so to speak
-Apply modifiers tied to alignment (if it's there, might as well use it)
-Give the party an overall reputation score based on how they conduct themselves

The idea is to give every class some benefit for 'taking the lead' whenever appropriate, and gives the DM a tool for encouraging different members of the party to step up and take a role in social interactions.

Inspiration:
I actually liked that the old Baldur's Gate games had a reputation system where your party's overall reputation scored determined how people would interact with you socially. My idea is that when the party is interacting with people, make a flat check for the party modified by whoever decides to speak for the group first, roleplaying-wise. The modifier is determined by the person's class/alignment. For example:

If the Fighter speaks to the Captain of the Guard:
-Because they're both martial folks, being a Fighter grants him a bonus/malus, depending on what would be most beneficial to their goal (player decides, and they could want to make the Captain poo poo his pants and step aside for them or awe the Captain into helping them).
-In the same scenario, the wizard wouldn't get a bonus/malus because the target's relatively unfamiliar with their ways.
-Alignment determines bonus/malus depending on how far away you are from the target's alignment (i.e., Lawful Evil Fighter interacts with Neutral Good Captain - modifier is applied for the good/evil divide, nothing happens for the law/neutral divide)

The base check is 10, modified by the party's approach/objectives. So if they want to get a negative reaction, they use their modifiers to increase the difficulty of the check so they roll 'under' it. If they want a positive reaction, they use their modifiers to decrease the difficulty of the check so it's more likely they'll roll over. Reputation is a hidden stat that the DM keeps track of that they use to modify the ultimate DC of the check based on the party's actions (so if they're typical murderhobo robbers and have a reputation as such, trying to get someone to do favors for them becomes difficult even if they send the paladin to parlay. On the other hand, intimidating them with raw muscle is more effective).

You could even work reputation like a 'clock' from The Sprawl, too - have a Reputation Clock for each town/group they come across and as they perform actions it fills up, and once it's filled up all the way their reputation within that town/group becomes a very solid thing that's extremely difficult to change, and bleeds over to similar groups in the same area (so if they develop a reputation as cutthroat murderers, even towns/people they haven't met are somewhat aware of this reputation and start with their clocks partially filled by negative opinions). This mirrors the 'level of play', because few people will have ever heard of a bunch of small-time adventurers but as they grow in power, more people/groups will know of them based on reputation alone.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ratoslov posted:

Well, if you're going to hold onto ability scores at all, then clearly you need to redefine the ability scores so that all the skills aren't held by two-thirds of them and one third is basically useless. Take Strength, for example. Make it 'Might', and stick tactics, strategy, modern history, and intimidation under it. Take Constitution and make it 'Resolve', with resisting fear and persuasion and speaking plainly from the heart in it's portfolio. Then don't screw Martial types out of skills for no drat reason.
If we're talking the d20 spread, Strength and Con being separate in so many games continues to be the dumbest thing. Just merging Strength and Con into one stat instead of forcing Beefy Fighter to double-spend for roughly equivalent benefits to Dexterity Fighter.

Another issue is that having high Intelligence or Charisma in d20 does nothing innately to help a Fighter be better at Fightering, while a few points in Dexterity or Constitution are pretty useful for the Wizard to keep Wizarding. So a Wizard can choose to be a Dexterous Wizard (Better Initiative, AC, and Dex save) or a Tough Wizard (Better HP and Con save), but a Smart Fighter (or any other non-int class) will just end up being bad at two things. Making sure all ability scores have roughly equivalent passive splash benefits would allow classes stuck with a low-utility primary a lot more choice in choosing what to secondary without nerfing themselves mechanically.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gnome7 posted:

Down that path lies the Essentials Slayer class, which was "the Fighter with only basic attacks but comparable/higher damage and similar defenses." Which, while effective, was boring as heck and a strict downgrade to the 4E Fighter by virtue of being so much more boring.

Was there a single Essentials subclass that wasn't just a worse and more boring version of the original?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Was there a single Essentials subclass that wasn't just a worse and more boring version of the original?

The Mage was better because lol Mearls.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sentinels make good hybrid material.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was so excited to play a Blackguard and it was a miserable experience.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

I was so excited to play a Blackguard and it was a miserable experience.
Heroes of Shadow was a terrible book containing several (perhaps the only?) classes generally considered unusable by 4e fans.

Mearls was the lead writer.

Blackguard wasn't that bad, but at best it's kind of a sloppy confusing mess.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpactVector posted:

Heroes of Shadow was a terrible book containing several (perhaps the only?) classes generally considered unusable by 4e fans.
Bladesingers probably fall in that category for a lot of people.

Heroes of Shadow is mostly a book for regular paladins and warlocks to poach powers from. Even the layout of Heroes of Shadow is bad; classes are laid out in a jumbled fashion where half of their heroic/paragon-tier stuff is only explained after their epic destinies.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

The Crotch posted:

Bladesingers probably fall in that category for a lot of people.
Yeah, that was the main one that came to mind outside HoS.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Yawgmoth posted:

"I want to use something from dndwiki" is code for "I am a terrible roleplayer and a terrible person, please beat me with an old garden hose".

I'd like to nominate the half-mimic as an exception.

Well, maybe not for actual use; I just wanted an excuse to post it again.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

potatocubed posted:

I'd like to nominate the half-mimic as an exception.

Well, maybe not for actual use; I just wanted an excuse to post it again.

What the gently caress

What the fuuuuuuck? posted:

Three sample Half-Mimic adventurers are described below.
Samantha is a wooden Half-Mimic Bard. She is ashamed of her ugly appearance so spends a lot of her time in the guise of an elf. She travels as a group of bards and adventures, searching for legends and fables. No one but her knows that her parents were a treasure chest and an elven warlock. She sleeps as an lute as she is paranoid that the mage is trying to find and enslave her.
Sam "Plate-male" is a metal Half-Mimic Warlord, who works for the witch who made him. He spends most of his time disguised as a treasure chest waiting for adventurers to open him. He acts cold and emotionless, although he has feelings for his slave-master. He never spends any time as a humanoid, unless it's required for a mission. He usually he spends time as a dwarf if he has to use a humanoid form.
Goh Lem is a stone Half-Mimic Battle Mind. He spent his early life as an eternal guard in a dungeon, until he was freed by a psion adventurer. His Saviour then trained him to use the psionic magic, and has vowed to killed the cruel wizard who trapped him in the dungeon he was born in. Little does he know that the psion opened his treasure chest mother and looted a necklace from her innards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Whoever wrote that entry did so with fetishistic intent.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's a very good chance that most of the half-mimic entry was written by jokers from the original SA grognards.txt thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

quote:

Play a Half-Mimic if you want...
To be a member of a race that is good at hiding and trickery.
To be a member of a race that favours the ardent, warlock or battlemind classes.
To have a backstory where one of your parents had sex with a treasure chest.

Though I do now want to make the next group of players I run a game for incredibly uncomfortable by having a mimic try and seduce them.

• Locked thread