Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
EA pulls the same poo poo with battlefield 1. the game lets you unlock new guns at a slow trickle just playing as usual but I can jump on there right now, throw $50 EA's way and be given every single one of them instantly.. they call it a 'time saver pack'. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dude decides to open the gate for the firefighters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rpZ2Bkz11U

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Slugnoid posted:

EA pulls the same poo poo with battlefield 1. the game lets you unlock new guns at a slow trickle just playing as usual but I can jump on there right now, throw $50 EA's way and be given every single one of them instantly.. they call it a 'time saver pack'. :rolleyes:

Yeah but in this case it was "4500 hours of playing or $2100 to fully unlock Star Wars: Battlefront II" which is why people were complaining.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ariong posted:

It actually is. Keep in mind this is a AAA game based on the world’s biggest franchise. It’s like if Thor: Ragnarok had only made 200 million dollars. Like yeah that sounds like a big number, but the budget on that movie was 180 mil.

I dunno how much the budget was for Battlefront 2, but between the microtransactions beng taken out completely and the low sales figures it probably made a fraction of what they wanted it to make. Then again, judging by the way they made the game they probably wanted to make infinity trillion dollars off of it, so maybe that’s not saying much.

Yeah, just some back-of-the-napkin math, if each of those 880k copies sold for 60$, that's 53 million revenue best case (likely quite a bit less from sales through retailers instead of digital distribution). Against a budget that was supposedly in the neighbourhood of 200 million, EA is making huge losses on that. Sure, they were presumably banking on making a significant chunk of money through microtransactions over time, but even if they manage to outright double the money made from initial sales that way, they'll still fall short by a large margin. Usually the success of games like these is measured in whether they manage to hit their projected profit goals. This one might not even manage to break even in a reasonable time.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Feonir posted:

882,000 still sold, that is not a small number. Gamers really do deserve game companies.

Nearly 900k copies is terrible for a AAA game. Launch week(end)s generally want 3-5 million copies sold.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They were expecting something like 1.7 million in that first month, then a giant leap for Christmas and the movie. They may still get it, of course.

Smaller schadenfreude; someone I went to high school with posted on Facebook, asking if the game was appropriate for a ten year old. She said he would only be allowed to play the single player mode, no online at all. I can't imagine there's very much to single player, especially for $60.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The sales are probably up to 2 million considering the NPD doesn't count digital sales like Steam as part of their numbers.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

even if they manage to outright double the money made from initial sales that way, they'll still fall short by a large margin

Disney is apparently putting the thumbscrews on them regarding 'getting kids to develop gambling habits is a really bad look' because Disney is a terrifying hellbeast of a company but it (likes to look like it) gives a poo poo about kids. I'd be surprised if the microtransactions ever come back.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mu Zeta posted:

The sales are probably up to 2 million considering the NPD doesn't count digital sales like Steam as part of their numbers.

It's EA so it's not on Steam although I'm assuming most people who want the game probably already have Origin installed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The article also estimated around 500k in digital, which still falls short of what they wanted.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://giant.gfycat.com/DecentPortlyEquestrian.webm

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Who ordered the same day delivery???"

:ohdear:

I hope their cheap crap from Amazon was on time at least.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Somfin posted:

Disney is apparently putting the thumbscrews on them regarding 'getting kids to develop gambling habits is a really bad look' because Disney is a terrifying hellbeast of a company but it (likes to look like it) gives a poo poo about kids. I'd be surprised if the microtransactions ever come back.

Ehhh. They only care about it because it's getting bad press. Disney's licensed mobile games have microtransaction bullshit too, but "hardcore gamers" don't give a poo poo about mobile games (aimed at kids or not).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Odddzy posted:

I agree with the above poster, 800k copies of a star wars licensed game is NOTHING and the EA brass must be panicking.

It's a Star Wars game? Yeah, I'm gonna agree that 800k is a tiny amount. Gamers merged with Star Wars nerds sounds like the absolute worst of fandoms though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh god the look of just a total feeling of self defeat and depression on that guys face at the end

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Absolute pro click here.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Slugnoid posted:

right, but like most of the battlefield games before it, some of the best guns are the starting ones, and none of the planes or other fun things are locked behind anything. if someone just wants to give EA money I do not care much, though all such systems just going away tomorrow would be nice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They were expecting something like 1.7 million in that first month, then a giant leap for Christmas and the movie. They may still get it, of course.

Smaller schadenfreude; someone I went to high school with posted on Facebook, asking if the game was appropriate for a ten year old. She said he would only be allowed to play the single player mode, no online at all. I can't imagine there's very much to single player, especially for $60.

Apparently the single player campaign is about 5 hours (a 10-year-old will probably take longer though) and is generally incoherent, featuring the hero and villain characters in weird interludes that don't seem to have any connection with the Inferno Squad storyline that was advertised as the single player campaign.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Such an rear end in a top hat thing for them to do but from a utilitarian perspective the joy that the crowd gets more than makes up for the woman's dogshit-induced distress

baw has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Dec 11, 2017

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For her information, the single player campaign takes about 4 hours to complete. (According to Angry Joe) A kid would get more playtime out of Tetris.

E,FB : 5 hours if you include the cutscenes, wich take up about an hour.

Bad Wolf has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Dec 11, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Back in my day, we played with bots if our friends couldn't come over.

I'm sure the game has neither bots or local multiplayer.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

baw posted:

Such an rear end in a top hat thing for them to do but from a utilitarian perspective the joy that the crowd gets more than makes up for the woman's dogshit-induced distress

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Schadenfreude Thread: A Utilitarian Perspective

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Back in my day, we played with bots if our friends couldn't come over.

I'm sure the game has neither bots or local multiplayer.

I think it has bots, since that's how I ended up first trying the game when the free beta was up.

It really isn't that great a game. It looks beautiful and runs very well like the Battlefield games, but the gameplay is pretty dull (weapons other than your primary are rechargeable powers, so it's like Overwatch but slow and plodding) and the mouse flying for fighters is horrendous and virtually uncontrollable without practice. It doesn't take a single risk and removes everything interesting and fun from its Battlefield lineage until it's actually less fun than the original Battlefront 2 from over a decade ago. It's worth maybe $30 at best, not $60 plus microtransactions.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

the schad is on me for reading the comments on this video

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it has bots, since that's how I ended up first trying the game when the free beta was up.

It really isn't that great a game. It looks beautiful and runs very well like the Battlefield games, but the gameplay is pretty dull (weapons other than your primary are rechargeable powers, so it's like Overwatch but slow and plodding) and the mouse flying for fighters is horrendous and virtually uncontrollable without practice. It doesn't take a single risk and removes everything interesting and fun from its Battlefield lineage until it's actually less fun than the original Battlefront 2 from over a decade ago. It's worth maybe $30 at best, not $60 plus microtransactions.

The worst thing to come from the Star Wars resurgence is EA getting the videogame license.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
death isn't schoody :(

Somebody has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Dec 12, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Current-events-related question:

What kind of dumbass must you be to try to be a suicide bomber, build your bomb, set it off, and wind up only *injuring* yourself?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

A career-orientated one.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Phanatic posted:

What kind of dumbass must you be to try to be a suicide bomber, build your bomb, set it off, and wind up only *injuring* yourself?

smh this city has a very high standard for terror attacks, and this latest one is a huge disappointment

guy should be ashamed of himself he wasn't even noteworthy enough to interrupt The Price Is Right

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That happens pretty much all the time. It turns out building bombs is hard and there's a tendency for the herd of competent suicide bombers to be thinned.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Phanatic posted:

On the grand chart of dumdasses I'd rate him slightly above the dude who stuffed explosives up his rear end.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Inescapable Duck posted:

That happens pretty much all the time. It turns out building bombs is hard and there's a tendency for the herd of competent suicide bombers to be thinned.

And if you outsource the bomb building to a freelance scientist, there's always the possibility he'll just give you a shoddy bomb case full of used pinball machine parts instead.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Competent terrorists recruit depressed mentally ill people to be suicide bombers for them, and provide them with functional bombs. It's not at all surprising someone trying to make their own fails.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And that's why I'm not a world-famous building climby guy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought it meant it would polish your car to a shark-like mirror finish.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Aerdan posted:

Ehhh. They only care about it because it's getting bad press. Disney's licensed mobile games have microtransaction bullshit too, but "hardcore gamers" don't give a poo poo about mobile games (aimed at kids or not).

It's not so much microtransactions they care about so much as the loot crates to unlock content.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Raygereio posted:

On the grand chart of dumdasses I'd rate him slightly above the dude who stuffed explosives up his rear end.

Wikipedia posted:

Assisted by his older brother, Ibrahim al-Asiri, he had hidden a pound (0.5 kg) of PETN plastic explosives in his rectum and anal canal, which security experts described as a novel technique.
"Little brother, it is time! Bend over!"
"Again already?"

Alternative: he was such a tight-rear end that he couldn't even fit enough bang inside to kill anybody but himself.

I'd rate butt-bomber here a little higher than a would-be suicide bomber that fails to kill even themselves. Butt-bomber scored a 1, that other idiot a zero.

Powered Descent posted:

And if you outsource the bomb building to a freelance scientist, there's always the possibility he'll just give you a shoddy bomb case full of used pinball machine parts instead.
One of my favourite stories from the world of terrorists. I can just imagine the scientist's thought process as he walked past the junkyard.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's not so much microtransactions they care about so much as the loot crates to unlock content.

No, it's the combination of the two. Diablo III has 'loot crates', but nobody cares because you don't pay real money for the randomized item drops.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

p. sure snuff schaden is mostly verboten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

I remember watching a documentary about that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_N_xCHjFR4