Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Yay!

Dogs getting sick is the worst, they can't tell you why they hurt :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
All this talk about dogs is making me sad that I can't go home right now and pet my dog.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember my poor doggo passing from brain cancer :smith: she would sneeze then have a seizure.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

seiferguy posted:

I remember my poor doggo passing from brain cancer :smith: she would sneeze then have a seizure.

That's awful but also kind of interesting in a really morbid way.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

pubic works project posted:

All this talk about dogs is making me sad that I can't go home right now and pet my dog.

Get one of those firehydrants with an ipod in it so you can face time your dog and remotely shoot out treats when they are a good dog (which is always)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sick animals are the worst thing ever. Our cat has a collapsed lung and if he frequently doubles over in a fit of wheezing and gasping if he exerts himself too much.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

Thats all that can physically vote statewide elections in Alabama, due to gerrymandering and keeping convicted felons from registering at the state level.

am i kidding? am I serious? Would you be surprised either way?

Acatually in this case, its less gerrymandering and more shutting down all the ID issuing offices in any county that either votes democrat, or has a large black population.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_sends_message_we_are_t.html

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Get one of those firehydrants with an ipod in it so you can face time your dog and remotely shoot out treats when they are a good dog (which is always)

My wife is actually wanting to get one of those!

Edit: Funny thing about Iggy that never ceases to crack me up. He barks at a lot of stuff...but he really gets going when it's a shadow. We had the fireplace on last night and he was just running around barking at the shadows it cast. Especially when it was one of ours. I couldn't stop laughing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

a new study bible! posted:

Sick animals are the worst thing ever. Our cat has a collapsed lung and if he frequently doubles over in a fit of wheezing and gasping if he exerts himself too much.

It's been a few years now but we lost two cats within three months of each other. The first one's kidneys failed so we had to put him to sleep, the second one refused to eat or drink anything until we finally had him put to sleep because he was slowly and painfully dying. This wasn't some Where the Red Fern Grows thing where he was depressed about the other one dying, he was sick but the vet didn't know why and gave us some antibiotic to try that didn't work. He was a stray that had been coming around that we brought into the house six months earlier so he wasn't with us long

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kalli posted:

Yeah, they memorialized it:

I showed these to my friend who speaks Russian and that is old style Cyrillic on the outside. It says

On a sunny day of May Ulf, the mighty warrior killed The Thing with just one pole

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In sick dog chat, my gfs dog spent the night at the emergency vet and just got put on anesthesia because last night she randomly started throwing up and her back legs stopped working. They're running tests on her now and doing a spinal tap. They gave us a laundry list of things they think it could be but won't know anything until after the tests.

She's afraid she won't have the use of her back legs and all I can think about is super scooty:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Dogs are cool. If I had a more stable life I would get a doggo or pupper of my own. But until then I’ll just live through all of you.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oh man i had a shrimp boil last night and i threw in half a garlic bulb and today i squeezed it out like toothpaste into some leftover smoked pork.im dying here

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The biggest benefit of remote work is I never have to leave my doggy. My 10 minute breaks are soooo relaxing when I can just cuddle my lil doge

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I work remotely too, my old lady dog needs to be in the same room as me. When I'm working, she cries until I let her in the office then just finds a place to take a nap. She doesn't need constant attention or pets or anything, just to be in the same room as me at all times when I'm at home

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cattle dogs are like corgis but with none of the creepy meme people surrounding them. and they're built like brick shithouses. people say they're energetic but they're more like greyhounds than the little yappy dogs

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of dogs, our crazy HR lady brought her dog into the office because reasons. I didn't even notice except the dog started barking.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It seems like crazy people always work in HR

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Old lady dog is currently napping on the couch :unsmith:

hifi posted:

cattle dogs are like corgis but with none of the creepy meme people surrounding them. and they're built like brick shithouses. people say they're energetic but they're more like greyhounds than the little yappy dogs

Hank the Cowdog!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
HR is the worst and I've seen too many people let go or fired because someone in HR had a bad day

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I watched our on-site HR person attempt to steal someone's lunch the other day, and they only stopped because they didn't like what was in the lunch.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Human Resources more like Human Garbage

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We got a company wide email from a very angry person who had his lunch stolen multiple times and it turned out to be a lady in HR. (another person caught her microwaving up their lunch).

All HR people are sociopaths and scoundrels.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe it's because I've only worked in smaller offices (even though I've worked for huge companies) but I've never experienced the stolen lunch thing and it fascinates me

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
The HR lady at my last job absolutely hated me after I told her how lovely the travel policy was and how it actually cost the company money and made the employees less happy. It caused a big stink with my whole department, her, and the COO. So I decided to start going out with her intern

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

piss tape israel posted:

It seems like crazy people always work in HR

My girlfriend works in HR, and from her stories this is absolutely correct. HR is where all the older white women work, most of which are divorced, crazy cat / dog / bird ladies. Last time I talked to my HR person, I casually mentioned one of my coworkers got married over the weekend, and she responded with "I loved all of my ex husbands." How the hell do you respond to that?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I have no clue why anyone would even want to be in HR. Dealing with every employee, reviews, raises, hirings, firings, disciplinary actions, insurance etc...blah.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I actually liked the HR at my last job even though the head of HR was super-awkward. It also doesn't help that the HR rep assigned to my site at my current job is the same one who conducted my hiring process, including the salary negotiation that I punted super-hard because I was broke as gently caress and just needed a job anywhere.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

I have no clue why anyone would even want to be in HR. Dealing with every employee, reviews, raises, hirings, firings, disciplinary actions, insurance etc...blah.

Job security, every company needs em and they're the last to go when the lights get forcibly shut off

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Blitz7x posted:

Job security, every company needs em and they're the last to go when the lights get forcibly shut off

I guess...it just seems like a utterly miserable existence in my experience. Most of the HR people I have befriended have all hated it so maybe it's just my sample size.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

There's a really interesting dynamic in offshore oil companies where instead of old decrepit jack-ups, the new ultra Deepwater rigs are essentially small cruise ships with a drilling derrick stuck on top. So now oil company good ol boys are having to mingle with merchant mariners hired to keep the boat steady while they drill baby drill and as a large portion of merchant mariners are female it's no shock that it's more than just the well that's being drilled

HR had to send a strongly worded email to stop banging your shipmates like loving summer camp lmao

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a theory called the Becky Principle, wherein if you're trying to change a process at work and the process is owned by a middle aged white woman, don't try. Their lives are so out of control outside of work, so they will protect the one thing they can control, no matter how good or bad it is for the company.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

Maybe it's because I've only worked in smaller offices (even though I've worked for huge companies) but I've never experienced the stolen lunch thing and it fascinates me

It's the only time I've seen of it in 15+ years of office work. Though, you'd have to be touched in the head to earn real money and steal people's lunches. I could understand that coming up more in a retail situation because I knew so many people even 15+ years ago who were in dire financial situations doing those jobs, and it has to be so much worse now.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
To be fair, the VP of HR at my current company is great. On my second day she came down to check on me at around 2PM. My boss was out with a sick kid and I told her I didn't have much going on outside of HR-related reading. Without skipping a beat she tells me "Eh, you can go home if you want to. You're salaried anyway."

I ended up staying till 5, but that one conversation set the stage for how things have gone for nearly two years. She might have been trying to test me for all I know, but I still love it here :unsmith:

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 11, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

piss tape israel posted:

To be fair, the VP of HR at my current company is great. On my second day she came down to check on me at around 2PM. My boss was out with a sick kid and I told her I didn't have much going on outside of HR-related reading. Without skipping a beat she tells me "Eh, you can go home if you want to. You're salaried anyway."

I ended up staying till 5, but that one conversation set the stage how things have gone for nearly two years. She might have been trying to test me for all I know, but I still love it here :unsmith:

You have chosen...wisely...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Intruder posted:

She seems to be ok

Best they can figure, she had something stuck in her throat that she managed to clear. She hasn't been having trouble breathing since late yesterday afternoon. :toot:

I'm glad your dog is okay. :)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/939972059609927681

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The last job I worked didn't have any sort of HR. It was pretty great. If we did have HR, the entire company and most of the employees would have been sued for sexual harassment in about 5 minutes.

Intruder posted:

At my last job, a coworker told a story about a previous job he had. One of the workers there was tired of having his lunch stolen so one day he spiked his lunch with Tums or Alka-Seltzer or something related. He found out who was stealing his lunch when the thief starting foaming from the mouth.

Blitz7x posted:

There's a really interesting dynamic in offshore oil companies where instead of old decrepit jack-ups, the new ultra Deepwater rigs are essentially small cruise ships with a drilling derrick stuck on top. So now oil company good ol boys are having to mingle with merchant mariners hired to keep the boat steady while they drill baby drill and as a large portion of merchant mariners are female it's no shock that it's more than just the well that's being drilled

HR had to send a strongly worded email to stop banging your shipmates like loving summer camp lmao

Knowing nothing about merchant mariners, why are they mostly women?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Knowing nothing about merchant mariners, why are they mostly women?

Well it's not mostly women, it's something like engineering where it's an 80/20 split but historically offshore oil and gas has been more like a 1000/1 split

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The thought of eating someone else's lunch seems really gross.

• Locked thread