Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

hey girl you up posted:

I don't think it will in the foreseeable future; the universal Siri search doesn't search local libraries. Just whatever is on its master list. (Doesn't work with Apple's own home sharing either.)

True, but it would be nice if I could say "Search Plex for XXXXXX" and it would automatically open Plex, go to the Plex Search tab, and populate the search field with XXXXXX.

Seems like something that's technically possible, but something that Apple would never do because it goes against their "universal search" mantra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The UI in the Amazon app seems pretty janky: mislabeled thumbnails, when you go back from a show page it's a total crapshoot where you end up but it's never where you left off, etc. Maybe it's time to start using the TV app.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It'd be awesome if the thing AppleTV users were waiting years for was the thing that ended up pushing them into the TV app.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

This is a goddamn clusterfuck with Netflix. Every time the streaming quality changes, my TV spends 3-4 seconds changing modes, and Netflix is changing the streaming quality every 2-3 minutes, and occasionally multiple times within 30 seconds. (Netflix seems to be unable to stream at any reasonable quality tonight despite my 200mbit connection. I'm trying to watch Civil War which should be 4K, but it's fluctuating between what looks like 480p and 720p and occasionally 1080p when I'm lucky.)
My Smart TV does something similar for the beginning of most shows, but I don't recall subsequent fluctuations.

It's the reason I decided to go with cable instead of wi-fi. Seems weird since you'd think they have an idea of your average speed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

canyonero posted:

I'm not sure if this is true now. Maybe it's an iOS only feature, but the TV on the phone now includes a Sports tab that works with apps like ESPN to stream live sports.
Nope, it's on the AppleTV TV app now too!

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, that's one of the biggest hopes I have for it in terms of tying in a live service, easier way to find games when they're on!
If your streaming service of choice gives you access to the ESPN app, then whatever is currently playing will show up in the TV app. So it will do what you want in a roundabout way. It won't show just like TV shows as far as I can tell yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The cord cutting thread tells me the Prime Video app on ATV 2.1 audio only.

So I tested it with a known multi-channel show (Grand Tour) against the ShieldTV Amazon Prime app.

ATV : 2.1 (Dennon displays 2CHANNEL)
ShieldTV: 5.1 (Dennon displays MULTI)

God damnit, Amazon.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad I can access Prime Video now on the ATV, but it feels like they took the iOS version and just slapped a skin on it. I don't have a 4K ATV (or a 4K TV) so I can't test that.

Hopefully this will be addressed shortly(lol) with an update that enables multi-channel audio.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Hopefully this will be addressed shortly(lol) with an update that enables multi-channel audio.

This is what will probably happen. It's out there now so we'll see how well Amazon finally supports it.

I'm super interested to dig into a write-up involving all the crap Apple and Amazon put each other through to get this app out there finally.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

True, but it would be nice if I could say "Search Plex for XXXXXX" and it would automatically open Plex, go to the Plex Search tab, and populate the search field with XXXXXX.

Seems like something that's technically possible, but something that Apple would never do because it goes against their "universal search" mantra.

My Echo can do this, except I have to have the Plex app open first

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thwomp posted:

I'm super interested to dig into a write-up involving all the crap Apple and Amazon put each other through to get this app out there finally.

I’d be a little surprised to see one, at least from both sides. Nobody has yet published an account of the Facebook/Apple scuffles of 2012-2015, for example.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Has anyone tried installing Kodi on their Apple TV 4? The main issue seems to be having to constantly side load it each weak from the tutorials I've seen.

Wanted to give it a whirl since Plex isn't working too well with my setup and Kodi was more reliable before as well as for the plugins.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What issues are you having with Plex... forced transcoding due to codecs?

I’ve finally got a usb-C cable so I might try sideloading some stuff, but more for plugins and messing about than using it as my main media player.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
For local media playing, Infuse is probably the best option.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’ve had a 4th Gen AppleTV sitting around unopened for almost a year (I got it free for signing up for 3 months of DirecTV Now but already had one). Yesterday I was at Best Buy and had a thought, what if I say it was a gift and they got me the wrong one and try exchanging it for the 4K version and just pay the difference? Anyone have luck returning/exchanging without a receipt at Best Buy?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Mahoning posted:

I’ve had a 4th Gen AppleTV sitting around unopened for almost a year (I got it free for signing up for 3 months of DirecTV Now but already had one). Yesterday I was at Best Buy and had a thought, what if I say it was a gift and they got me the wrong one and try exchanging it for the 4K version and just pay the difference? Anyone have luck returning/exchanging without a receipt at Best Buy?

They likely won't do it since the Apple TV has a serial number

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah Best Buy records the serial number on all Apple purchases. I think most retailers do.

Just sell it for cash. They’re going for $120-130 new

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mahoning posted:

Good luck on your attempt to commit fraud.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just sell the loving thing on eBay, it’s in new condition why are you trying to do crime for $15.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is anyone else getting bad lip sync in the Amazon app? I tried Amazon on my TV and other apps on my Apple TV and it wasn't anywhere near as bad. Starting and stopping the stream sometimes helps.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Victorian Gentleman posted:

Has anyone tried installing Kodi on their Apple TV 4? The main issue seems to be having to constantly side load it each weak from the tutorials I've seen.

Wanted to give it a whirl since Plex isn't working too well with my setup and Kodi was more reliable before as well as for the plugins.

I have Kodi on my ATV4, and it works perfectly - almost exactly the same as it did on my HTPC (the only issue is that library auto update plugins don’t work or cause the ATV to chug along). I even have a demanding custom skin on it.

The weekly sideloading thing was a pain in the rear end until iOS 11 came along and enabled wireless access through Xcode. No more USB C cable tethering. Just two minutes in Xcode and iOS App Signer gets the job done. Happy to help if you need guidance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What’s the weekly element about? I have a recent guide on how to install it, but it doesn’t detail that. Does the app need to be re-signed every week to keep it working or something?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Good luck on your attempt to commit fraud.

Oh no the morality police are here to admonish me for wanting to give a store a brand new unopened product in return for its retail value! Think of the children!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don’t commit fraud you dummy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

qirex posted:

Is anyone else getting bad lip sync in the Amazon app? I tried Amazon on my TV and other apps on my Apple TV and it wasn't anywhere near as bad. Starting and stopping the stream sometimes helps.

For me, subtitle timing seems to be way off. Like it displays a wee bit too late.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Oh no the morality police are here to admonish me for wanting to give a store a brand new unopened product in return for its retail value! Think of the children!

Why’d you ask, then?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sellouts posted:

Why’d you ask, then?

I asked if it would work or not. Someone pointed out no, so I’m not gonna do it. Question answered, bing bong so simple. But it couldn’t be left alone, apparently.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mahoning posted:

Then there’s no need to deceive the store, clearly. “Hey, buy this off my for full retail value, OK?” Please report back!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s the weekly element about? I have a recent guide on how to install it, but it doesn’t detail that. Does the app need to be re-signed every week to keep it working or something?

Yeah, it is to resign the app. (After 7 days the app and its data are still there, it just won’t launch.) If you have a non-paid-up Apple developer account you can only sign your own apps, for testing, for 7 days. If you have a $99 dev account you can sign poo poo for a whole year, but that is a steep price to pay for Kodi alone. Worth it if you can get a dev pal to sign it for you, though.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

qirex posted:

Haven’t watched anything from Amazon yet, but 100% happening in Plex on DVR’d shows. Same fix and everything.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know what the “cable test” in Audio/Video sends?

Being close to 100% ignorant (so I’m about to use some probably wrong words and concepts), I’m trying to figure out if it’s

1. sending out metadata along with the test screen (OK/cancel graphic) that says for instance “4k 10 bit 4:2:2 data incoming,” with the expectation that displays supporting this will accept and display it, while displays not supporting it will black screen and time out.

2. Pushing a certain bit rate through the cable along with 1.

I’m dealing with some cables that are intermittently flickering/dropping video during the test.

e: rereading this it can only really be a cable test if it’s 2., right?

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 12, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Apple TV is stuck on installing about 10 apps, and has persisted through both an OS upgrade and reboots. Just has a blank icon and ‘Waiting...’ and the folder they’re in has the clock timer image over the top. Annoying because I can’t see what is what, but the apps actually appear to work (perhaps older versions?)

Not sure if it’s a bug other people are having, or some Apple ID issue (I have 2x US accounts the installs are split between.) I might just reinstall everything from scratch if it stays like this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

My Apple TV is stuck on installing about 10 apps, and has persisted through both an OS upgrade and reboots. Just has a blank icon and ‘Waiting...’ and the folder they’re in has the clock timer image over the top. Annoying because I can’t see what is what, but the apps actually appear to work (perhaps older versions?)

Not sure if it’s a bug other people are having, or some Apple ID issue (I have 2x US accounts the installs are split between.) I might just reinstall everything from scratch if it stays like this.

At that point, I'd just delete the app and try to reinstall, but there is a non-zero chance having apps tied to two different accounts installed is playing into this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’m thinking it can’t auth and it’s getting jammed or something. I’m always gonna have multiple accounts sadly, but getting rid of the old holdover one can’t hurt anyway. So many apps installed I’ll never use anyway, so a fresh start is never bad and I want to get a 4K and religate this to the bedroom with the apps synced anyway.

Now to lose HBO until I can auth it down the inlaws again, ha.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just in case it went unnoticed, the Amazon Prime Video app was updated with support for 5.1 surround sound for their UHD/4k content with a promise of 5.1 coming for the rest of their content in a future update.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Victorian Gentleman posted:

What about MrMC?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just bought an Apple TV 4K the other day and set it up. What are some good free content apps that don’t require a login? I’m talking things like the NPR Podcast app or the PBS app, but maybe more tuned towards entertainment.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The NBC app doesn't require a login, and you can get a wide variety of shows on it. They seem to copy/paste the same commercials throughout, which is annoying.

Pluto TV is like a weird streaming TV aggregator. It's a full-on TV Guide with channels like MST3K, Epic Fail TV (?), etc. They've recently started offering free movies with commercials, but I haven't tried it yet.

We don't need a login for BBC iPlayer, but you might need to do some DNS/VPN tomfoolery if you're outside the UK.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fischtick posted:

The NBC app doesn't require a login, and you can get a wide variety of shows on it. They seem to copy/paste the same commercials throughout, which is annoying.

Pluto TV is like a weird streaming TV aggregator. It's a full-on TV Guide with channels like MST3K, Epic Fail TV (?), etc. They've recently started offering free movies with commercials, but I haven't tried it yet.

We don't need a login for BBC iPlayer, but you might need to do some DNS/VPN tomfoolery if you're outside the UK.

Thanks.

Few more questions (edit: reformatted now that I'm not on my phone):

My TV supports HDMI-CEC. Is there any way to quickly check whether my cable supports it? I know it sounds like a silly question but I bought the cheapest cable at the store I could find for €5 and the cardboard "packaging" only says "High Speed with Ethernet" and nothing else. It works just fine but now I'm reading some articles/posts about how cheap cables might not always support all CEC commands?

I'm asking cause right now my Apple TV can turn my TV on and off, but for volume control it's still using IR. I don't see an option for "Auto via HDMI" or similar, and choosing "Auto" chooses "Auto via IR." Changing the HDMI ports on my TV doesn't make a difference.

If it is the cable I hope that these AmazonBasic ones will do?

e:

I have my Apple TV video options set like this:

Format: 4K SDR 50Hz
HDMI Output: YCbCr
Chroma: 4:4:4
Match Content: Range & Frame Rate

If that the proper way to do things? I heard that setting "Format" to HDR will make it post-process everything into an HDR signal which doesn't seem like something I want. On my TV I've enabled the chroma setting to 4:4:4 to match it. I have the refresh rate set to 50Hz because TVs here are 50Hz? I'm not sure if I'm suppose to turn on Frame Rate matching.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 1, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Turn on framerate matching. It will adjust the framerate to the content being viewed, and just be 60 Hz or whatever on your screen. (Your TV is not 50 Hz.) If you have an HDR-capable TV, you probably want to turn it on, otherwise you won't be getting HDR at all. I think it just sends over the metadata for non-HDR content, but it doesn't actually change anything.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

My TV supports HDMI-CEC. Is there any way to quickly check whether my cable supports it? I know it sounds like a silly question but I bought the cheapest cable at the store I could find for €5 and the cardboard "packaging" only says "High Speed with Ethernet" and nothing else. It works just fine but now I'm reading some articles/posts about how cheap cables might not always support all CEC commands?

I'm asking cause right now my Apple TV can turn my TV on and off, but for volume control it's still using IR. I don't see an option for "Auto via HDMI" or similar, and choosing "Auto" chooses "Auto via IR." Changing the HDMI ports on my TV doesn't make a difference.

If it is the cable I hope that these AmazonBasic ones will do?

If the Apple TV is turning off the tv I’d say the cable is working. Are you running a speaker system or trying to use the tv speakers? I know in my tv I had to change the audio setting to “external speakers” for it to change the audio on my receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Turn on framerate matching. It will adjust the framerate to the content being viewed, and just be 60 Hz or whatever on your screen. (Your TV is not 50 Hz.)

Are you sure about that?

Compare this NA/US version of the XBR X940E spec sheet:

To the EU/German version of the equivalent XE9405 one:

My confusion really just comes from the fact that the only things I watch are American made TV (30Hz) and American made movies (24Hz) but AC power here is 50Hz, and this bit from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate#Televisions

quote:

Another difference between 50 Hz and 60 Hz standards is the way motion pictures (film sources as opposed to video camera sources) are transferred or presented. 35 mm film is typically shot at 24 frames per second (fps). For PAL 50 Hz this allows film sources to be easily transferred by accelerating the film by 4%.

Where does the movie get sped up by 4% in this case? Does Netflix do this for me in their backend? Does my AppleTV do this for me in hardware before sending it to my TV? Does my TV do this in hardware? None of this makes sense to me really.

Endless Mike posted:

If you have an HDR-capable TV, you probably want to turn it on, otherwise you won't be getting HDR at all. I think it just sends over the metadata for non-HDR content, but it doesn't actually change anything.

I just bought the TV and it's "HDR Capable" though after doing the research for TVs I've come to understand that this is basically all marketing speak until you get into the high end and preferably OLED TVs, which mine isn't. So I'm more interested in 4K resolution. Either way thought that "match range" means that if I played an HDR video, despite having set my Apple TV to SDR, that it would switch over to HDR for that specific video?

Anyway, is there a way I can choose which variant of HD I want to play things in in Netflix? Because in my Netflix in the ATV, Jessica Jones says "VISION" instead of "4K" or "HDR" and it makes the entire show look like poo poo because of Marvel adding artificial film grain says Reddit. I checked out Marco Polo which comes up as Dolby Vision and it looks really nice, and I can watch Jessica Jones on my TV's Netflix app where it just says "4K HDR" (I think) and it looks great there too. Picture settings for both source inputs are equal.

savesthedayrocks posted:

If the Apple TV is turning off the tv I’d say the cable is working. Are you running a speaker system or trying to use the tv speakers? I know in my tv I had to change the audio setting to “external speakers” for it to change the audio on my receiver.

Apple TV connected directly to TV via HDMI cable. No other devices exist.