Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Blistex posted:

Also, are there any stats on the number of mainlanders who have immigrated to BC who actually have jobs? I swear at least 75% of them only exist to shop in luxury stores and eat out.

I've read enough Haier posts to know that Chinese dudes don't eat out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Gargamel Gibson posted:

:confused:
That's all they do, because none of them can even boil water without help. It's just that they probably eat out in the same Chinese restaurant every time.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Darkest Auer also evidently does not eat out

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'm dumb

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
I would never do that. I’m happily married. I’ve got more than enough to eat at home.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Bajaj posted:

The percentage of Steam client users by language. I'm so glad I don't play online games.

What I am surprised by is that Tencent or similar hasn't gotten Steam banned in China so they can roll their own game distribution service.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

peak debt posted:

What I am surprised by is that Tencent or similar hasn't gotten Steam banned in China so they can roll their own game distribution service.

They will when they're ready

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

A lot of the least-English competent students I had in Chengdu were eventually sent to Vancouver once it became clear that they weren't going to make it through our program. It's like a tuhao failure dumping ground. The family gets rid of a loser kid and has an excuse to snap up that sweet BC real estate in one go.

I thought people were joking until one of them came back. Spent two years in Vancouver and two years in an immersive English high school before that, and not one word of English.

If the programs in vancouver actually failed kids out for not learning a single word of english that would be both racist and non-inclusive, and, on a totally minor and practically unrelated note maybe damage the school's profitability.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhQlDPN1W4k

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Baronjutter posted:

If the programs in vancouver actually failed kids out for not learning a single word of english that would be both racist and non-inclusive, and, on a totally minor and practically unrelated note maybe damage the school's profitability.

Oh, no, I'm talking about our school. I have no idea what the kids were doing in Vancouver, except vague murmurs of "private English tutor."

I don't know if kicking someone out for not performing up to minimum standards is inherently racist, but yeah, I am not advocating that. Or any of this. Including the school I used to work at. Or even Vancouver. I can advocate that Victoria is very nice and Nanaimo is really boring, but that's it.

e: And I meant that the parents would do that, pull them out of our school and send them abroad as an :effort: attempt at solving the kid's motivation problems. The only kids I know about who got expelled either stabbed someone, incited a mob to beat another student, or just didn't pay tuition for a year and eventually were asked to leave because they owed the school fifteen hundred USD.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 11, 2017

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

No why

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I was going to try to continue the joke, but I ended up reminding myself about the peanut brittle and now that's all I can think about.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh, no, I'm talking about our school. I have no idea what the kids were doing in Vancouver, except vague murmurs of "private English tutor."

I don't know if kicking someone out for not performing up to minimum standards is inherently racist, but yeah, I am not advocating that. Or any of this. Including the school I used to work at. Or even Vancouver. I can advocate that Victoria is very nice and Nanaimo is really boring, but that's it.

e: And I meant that the parents would do that, pull them out of our school and send them abroad as an :effort: attempt at solving the kid's motivation problems. The only kids I know about who got expelled either stabbed someone, incited a mob to beat another student, or just didn't pay tuition for a year and eventually were asked to leave because they owed the school fifteen hundred USD.

I mean that's why it's such a safe place to dump your underperforming kid because the schools and universities here keep lowering their standards and making a separate stream for mainlanders that focuses mostly on protecting feelings while separating them from their money. Having to learn english too stressful? Dont' worry about it. Staying in dorms and housing with non-chinese too stressful? We got your covered. Don't like the content in some of the classes? We'll change it, or make new classes just for your tastes. None of that still good enough? Well then don't go to one of the proper major universities, enroll in a little private school with absolutely no academic pretenses, just a 25k a year babysitting service. We'll make sure your little emperor never has to interact with a non-mainlander, never has to speak or hear of word of english, and has all his housing, cooking, and cleaning looked after.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mojo1701a posted:

I was going to try to continue the joke, but I ended up reminding myself about the peanut brittle and now that's all I can think about.

Want some toast?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I mean that's why it's such a safe place to dump your underperforming kid because the schools and universities here keep lowering their standards and making a separate stream for mainlanders that focuses mostly on protecting feelings while separating them from their money. Having to learn english too stressful? Dont' worry about it. Staying in dorms and housing with non-chinese too stressful? We got your covered. Don't like the content in some of the classes? We'll change it, or make new classes just for your tastes. None of that still good enough? Well then don't go to one of the proper major universities, enroll in a little private school with absolutely no academic pretenses, just a 25k a year babysitting service. We'll make sure your little emperor never has to interact with a non-mainlander, never has to speak or hear of word of english, and has all his housing, cooking, and cleaning looked after.

Oh, 100 percent. I can't imagine being in that situation.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

School in Canada is 25k a year? For what I'm assuming is on the expensive end? What the gently caress.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

bamhand posted:

School in Canada is 25k a year? For what I'm assuming is on the expensive end? What the gently caress.

It was only around 10-15k for international students ten years ago. In Ontario, anyways. drat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bamhand posted:

That's the typical rate for international students. Many will pay much more for these sort of all-inclusive schools that are more like boarding schools/daycares. 50k a year isnt unheard of at all, and that's just for the program. They still need 80-150k or so for a car so they can drive to school for the year, and a monthly allowance from their parents of 10k for food and clothing and such.

These cars are often sold for cheap after they go home, usually to a less-rich mainlander student. Sometimes they can't be bothered though so just abandon them at the airport. My neighbour had a student abandon his 80k car last year after his 5th run-in with police. Since he didnt have a license he actually put it in his homestay host's name, so that worked out. They didn't sell it right away and then a few months later his parents flipped out and demanded they give them the full purchase price of the car after their golden boy told his parents his host family stole the car and tricked him.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

That's the typical rate for international students. Many will pay much more for these sort of all-inclusive schools that are more like boarding schools/daycares. 50k a year isnt unheard of at all, and that's just for the program. They still need 80-150k or so for a car so they can drive to school for the year, and a monthly allowance from their parents of 10k for food and clothing and such.

50k is just the regular price for out of state here in the US. My sister is paying 80k for public school. You guys are getting fleeced by the Chinese.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

bamhand posted:

50k is just the regular price for out of state here in the US. My sister is paying 80k for public school. You guys are getting fleeced by the Chinese.

80k a year for a public university in the US? Hate to say it, but maybe your sister is the one that's getting fleeced...

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

kimcicle posted:

80k a year for a public university in the US? Hate to say it, but maybe your sister is the one that's getting fleeced...

Tuition and fees at New York University are $47,750 USD without financial aid. With room, board, and other fees combined, total cost of attendance is $68,400 USD.

I guess it's 80 with all her living expenses etc included.

And yes US colleges fleece their students.

But I bet Canadians can charge Chinese international students 100k easy and still have a never ending supply of applicants.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

bamhand posted:

Tuition and fees at New York University are $47,750 USD without financial aid. With room, board, and other fees combined, total cost of attendance is $68,400 USD.

I guess it's 80 with all her living expenses etc included.

And yes US colleges fleece their students.

But I bet Canadians can charge Chinese international students 100k easy and still have a never ending supply of applicants.

They just go the states at that price because USA is a name brand.

USA deserves to be burned down, at least halfway.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm angered by the way this was recorded on a phone, then recorded on a phone for youtube.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
NYU ain't no public school

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Oh whoops I kinda just assumed it was based on the name. In any case I assumed if they could charge 70k a year, Canada could charge 100k for international.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Is it this guy?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-42308791

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Seriously, 20k a year is the going price for state subsidized attendance at cheaper state schools in the US.

Canada's not even getting maximum value out of debasing their educational institutions!

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

It's suppose to be a video of that guy, but it's fake. The perspective and the lighting between the foreground and background don't match. The video was shot from a tripod (or some other stable position) and from a distance, which is different from any other video this guy has done before. Also, if the guy fell 62 stories, why was there a crashing sound immediately after he leaves the frame?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

CIGNX posted:

It's suppose to be a video of that guy, but it's fake. The perspective and the lighting between the foreground and background don't match. The video was shot from a tripod (or some other stable position) and from a distance, which is different from any other video this guy has done before. Also, if the guy fell 62 stories, why was there a crashing sound immediately after he leaves the frame?

Hah, well I did listen to it without sound. Oh well, still can't understand how someone can fight their instinct at that height and just parade around with death. Just looking at videos of that stuff makes me go NOPE without even a second thought.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

simplefish posted:

Aga or get out

Also open fires are just loving good, nothing about appearances.

Agas are loving useless for anything except inefficiently heating a small part of your house by burning a large pile of money.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Agas are loving useless for anything except inefficiently heating a small part of your house by burning a large pile of money.

Yes?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

fish and chips and dip posted:

Having grown up during the car stealing height in Poland in the 90's I can't help but imagine that Vancouver would be fertile grounds for a car thief gang targeting the tuhaos.

Think bigger. Kidnapping is what the cool kids do nowadays.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Venting about education systems: I found out the other week that Taiwanese students learning English essay-writing at the high school and college level are taught that the thesis sentence is always the first sentence of the first paragraph, no exceptions.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Pirate Radar posted:

Venting about education systems: I found out the other week that Taiwanese students learning English essay-writing at the high school and college level are taught that the thesis sentence is always the first sentence of the first paragraph, no exceptions.

I mean, that's not the worst thing ever. Many Americans are taught that the thesis comes last in the first paragraph. The truth is that I comes where it makes the most sense. And when first learning to write a standard essay, hard and fast rules aren't the worst (think five paragraph essays) even if they are really bad for upper-level college work.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

King of False Promises posted:

I mean, that's not the worst thing ever. Many Americans are taught that the thesis comes last in the first paragraph. The truth is that I comes where it makes the most sense. And when first learning to write a standard essay, hard and fast rules aren't the worst (think five paragraph essays) even if they are really bad for upper-level college work.

I just wish we could pick one dumb rigid plan for what an essay has to look like and stick to it :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
the dictionary defines "face" as the thing on the front of your head. this is my thesis statement. In chinese culture, face is not only very inportant, but also very interesting.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

canada of the future, congrats

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

peak debt posted:

There was an article or post or something earlier this year by some game industry guy saying that he talked to someone from Tencent who told him to expect Steam to be blocked in China next year.

Just one more thing to throw on the pile of evidence that the Great Firewall is about protectionism, not speech.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

VideoTapir posted:

There was an article or post or something earlier this year by some game industry guy saying that he talked to someone from Tencent who told him to expect Steam to be blocked in China next year.

Just one more thing to throw on the pile of evidence that the Great Firewall is about protectionism, not speech.

<why_not_both.jpg>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?
I think people here are far too critical of the Chinese population in Vancouver. I live in Burnaby across from Crystal Mall/Metrotown, in a complex that is probably 80% nouveau riche Chinese teenagers. Most are nice enough, and are at worst absurd as opposed to detestable. Moreover, of the Chinese population who don't speak English, the majority isn't the filthy rich, but instead poor immigrants working all day in a bubble that requires no English, and survive just fine without it. There's plenty of westerners in China in a similar situation.

It's similar rhetoric as the Hong Kong immigration wave in the '90s. Mainlanders will adapt fine as well.

• Locked thread