Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

tsob posted:

Honestly I think if you were making a Gundam movie you'd be better off just making your own thing and not trying to adapt an existing story because you'd have to change so much to make it work. Gundam has a rich base setting along with a history of AU's so making a new one with a near Earth setting and colonies, Minovsky particles etc. and it's own story distinct from UC or any other AU would be the best step and leave the writers/creators with the most freedom to write to the format's strength.

This is true, but I really like the UC and would make it at least loosely based on it. That, and I think it would be really cool to see a lot of iconic characters, mobile suits and events from 0079 in live action.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You don't have to adapt the whole of Gundam into a single movie, there's a pretty easy stopping point with Garma eating poo poo and the White Base crossing over into federation territory. The trick is to adapt it so that that feels like a natural crescendo, which would involve introducing Garma fairly early into the film so he feels like an antagonist and not just a third act roadblock, probably by giving him dozle's scenes.

Yeah, it would have to be a trilogy, although the order of events would probably have to get switched around a bit.

I figure movie 1 should have the attack \ escape from side 7 be the first act and have the 2nd and 3rd acts of the movie be a combination of the Ramba Ral and Garma arcs. I think Arcsquad is on to something there, because putting the Ramba Ral storyline in the first movie would spice it up a little bit and make things more interesting. You get Amuro's character development out of the way early, Char and Ramba Ral have never really been onscreen together much if at all, and the Gouf brings in variety as otherwise the only Zeon mobile suits would be Zakus. I also think Lalah Sune should be present on Char's Musai in the beginning but stays in space and doesn't come with him to earth for a little foreshadowing.

Then at the end of the movie, the White Base makes it to Jaburo much earlier than in the series. (The first two thirds of 0079 was them just trying to get to Jaburo.) It's at this point where they're given the mission to basically serve as a decoys \ test pilots. You also get to see that the Federation is working on GMs and will roll them out soon. (Like in the Origin, the Federation has already mass produced Guntanks, Guncannons and Balls, but they're woefully outmatch by Zakus.)

Movie 2 then takes place some time after the first movie (it is no longer a One Year War) and the White Base crew have become hardened veterans. During the course of the movie, the White Base takes part in a campaign in Europe against M'Quve's forces. Early on, Kai falls in love with Miharu and she remains as a spy on White Base for most of the movie instead of getting killed off immediately. We're also introduced to Lt. Matilda early on. The 2nd act is the battle with the Black Tri Stars where Matilda gets killed and then subsequently Operation Odessa. The finale is basically the same as the original as the White Base gets called back to Jaburo to defend it from a massive Zeon invasion.

And finally Movie 3 is more or less the same because there isn't much that needs changing I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Is there any significance to the end of December Sky when they find the Zeong parts? I don’t think it comes up in Bandit Flower.

The manga scans stopped at what ended up as the end of Season 2/Bandit Flower, so we don’t know yet. It might be relevant to how the leader of the South Seas Alliance turned the Psycho Zaku into a mass-brainwashing tool - it’s how the Federation obtained psycommu tech, and the SSA is a Federation splinter group..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is true, but I really like the UC and would make it at least loosely based on it. That, and I think it would be really cool to see a lot of iconic characters, mobile suits and events from 0079 in live action.

Yeah, it would have to be a trilogy, although the order of events would probably have to get switched around a bit.

I figure movie 1 should have the attack \ escape from side 7 be the first act and have the 2nd and 3rd acts of the movie be a combination of the Ramba Ral and Garma arcs. I think Arcsquad is on to something there, because putting the Ramba Ral storyline in the first movie would spice it up a little bit and make things more interesting. You get Amuro's character development out of the way early, Char and Ramba Ral have never really been onscreen together much if at all, and the Gouf brings in variety as otherwise the only Zeon mobile suits would be Zakus. I also think Lalah Sune should be present on Char's Musai in the beginning but stays in space and doesn't come with him to earth for a little foreshadowing.

Then at the end of the movie, the White Base makes it to Jaburo much earlier than in the series. (The first two thirds of 0079 was them just trying to get to Jaburo.) It's at this point where they're given the mission to basically serve as a decoys \ test pilots. You also get to see that the Federation is working on GMs and will roll them out soon. (Like in the Origin, the Federation has already mass produced Guntanks, Guncannons and Balls, but they're woefully outmatch by Zakus.)

Movie 2 then takes place some time after the first movie (it is no longer a One Year War) and the White Base crew have become hardened veterans. During the course of the movie, the White Base takes part in a campaign in Europe against M'Quve's forces. Early on, Kai falls in love with Miharu and she remains as a spy on White Base for most of the movie instead of getting killed off immediately. We're also introduced to Lt. Matilda early on. The 2nd act is the battle with the Black Tri Stars where Matilda gets killed and then subsequently Operation Odessa. The finale is basically the same as the original as the White Base gets called back to Jaburo to defend it from a massive Zeon invasion.

And finally Movie 3 is more or less the same because there isn't much that needs changing I think.

More than this I think what I would change the most is the Amuro/Char/Lalah situation. Considering the appeal of Newtypes is to communicate across long distances, I think it would be neat to have a growing psychic conversation between Amuro and Lalah, which could parallel/contrast against Char and Lalah's physical conversations. Tangible versus intangible, and how intimate a relationship could be if it is only two minds touchign one another.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure the appeal of live action version of the original Gundam. The show was good, the movies were good, the Origin remake of the show will be excellent. A fourth telling but with a bunch of limitations and changes to fit western sensibilities and movie structure seems both pointless and just begging for it to be bad.

If for some reason we absolutely need an American live-action Gundam, they should do it like Godzilla. Totally free to create it's own characters and universe, but beholden to the spirit of the original.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

More than this I think what I would change the most is the Amuro/Char/Lalah situation. Considering the appeal of Newtypes is to communicate across long distances, I think it would be neat to have a growing psychic conversation between Amuro and Lalah, which could parallel/contrast against Char and Lalah's physical conversations. Tangible versus intangible, and how intimate a relationship could be if it is only two minds touchign one another.

I might suggest that you could go a little weirder than simple psychic conversations. Memory-sharing, temporary body-swapping, all that poo poo. The whole point of Newtype evolution is that it’s something genuinely new, an unprecedented level of human connection that’s both beautiful and terrifying. It needs to be strange.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not sure the appeal of live action version of the original Gundam. The show was good, the movies were good, the Origin remake of the show will be excellent. A fourth telling but with a bunch of limitations and changes to fit western sensibilities and movie structure seems both pointless and just begging for it to be bad.

If for some reason we absolutely need an American live-action Gundam, they should do it like Godzilla. Totally free to create it's own characters and universe, but beholden to the spirit of the original.

I could see something like War in the Pocket or Thunderbolt. Focusing on a smaller conflict and the people who get caught up in the gears of the machine, instead of some THWWWOOOOMMMM grand epic BWAAAAHHHHHH end of the world DA DAD DA DA DDUUUNNNN battle

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
They should just do shot for shot remakes of the MSG movies, honestly.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Muffinlord posted:

They should just do shot for shot remakes of the MSG movies, honestly.

who will fit in the giant rubber recreation of this though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

So make it during the reconquest of the North American front as the GM squadrons try to take back California Base?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Tulalip Tulips posted:

L&O: Gunpla Crimes

In the Plavsky Particle system, adhesive based offenses are considered especially heinous.
In Diver City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Kragle Victims Unit.
These are their stories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slightpirate posted:

In the Plavsky Particle system, adhesive based offenses are considered especially heinous.
In Diver City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Kragle Victims Unit.
These are their stories.

I mean it isn't like the Gundam Mafia isn't canon.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Taintrunner posted:

who will fit in the giant rubber recreation of this though

Me in a heartbeat, actually.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Live action Gundam is technologically feasible these days, and I would still pass on it. Way too much baggage to adapt.

I agree with the other folks positing it would need to be its own thing. I think an AU gundam TV show or movie trilogy or pair or films could be good. I just think it needs to be it's own encapsulated thing. Honestly you could probably turn 8th MS team into a Live Action something with solid success, it's setting is far more comfortable for most folks and the story arc is far more personal. It would prb end up like a Pacific Rim extension movie and maybe ive talked myself out of it now. Whoops. But of all the UC stories I think you could edit it down into a tidy 2-2.5 hour movie without too much issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A live action movie would also need to keep the original soundtrack. It's goofy and funky as hell, but it is also incredibly easy to adapt into an orchestral rendition. The 30th Anniversary music album and the Gundam Symphonic Poems are fantastic, if you haven't heard them.

But they'd probably just get Hans Zimmer to fart out another temp track OST if they made the film.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

A live action movie would also need to keep the original soundtrack. It's goofy and funky as hell, but it is also incredibly easy to adapt into an orchestral rendition. The 30th Anniversary music album and the Gundam Symphonic Poems are fantastic, if you haven't heard them.

But they'd probably just get Hans Zimmer to fart out another temp track OST if they made the film.

We think alike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt5cBv4lHDk

Orchestral soundtracks with leitmotifs are becoming rarer these days and Star Wars is one of the few series that still does this kind of stuff.

But I'm also a complete madman and I would go all in on the retro-future stuff regardless if I was doing Gundam or not. In the Orville, Seth McFarlane captures the look at feel of 90's Star Trek shows. I would go for a late 70's \ early 80's aesthetic that's stylistically similar to Star Wars, Battlestar Galatica, Buck Rodgers, Space: 1999, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUxDbWcVTc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ngo3qKtfPI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYW7kkHyI4 (This one is similar to a well known anime, isn't it? It's not a coincidence.)

Yeah, I'm talking tight jumpsuits, bell bottoms, big poofy hair, mustaches, cheap sets, big CRT monitors, knobs and buttons, a big bombastic soundtrack, an opening sequence where the actors look at the camera, smile and freeze frame as their name is superimposed with plain yellow text, I would loving do it man. Nobody else is crazy or stupid enough.

So yes, it goes without saying that Amuro would keep his 70s afro and jean jacket.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of BSG, I'd legit love to see a BSG-Remake style live-action Gundam just for sheer curiosity's sake.

It worked for Space Battleship Yamato

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I'm talking tight jumpsuits, bell bottoms, big poofy hair, mustaches, cheap sets, big CRT monitors, knobs and buttons, a big bombastic soundtrack, an opening sequence where the actors look at the camera, smile and freeze frame as their name is superimposed with plain yellow text, I would loving do it man. Nobody else is crazy or stupid enough.
I feel like the only way you could get that funded these days is by being an overt parody, and that makes me kind of sad.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Finished Gundam X.

It's still not the worst, but it isn't any good. It feels like they were told they got cancelled not at the start of what would be the second season but a few episodes into it so the last 9 episodes or so are super rushed (and they still manage to waste time somehow with very little of it left). So much of the show is wasted, it has terrible villains who are in fact some of the worst Gundam villains ever, and even the end game is just a total mess. Unlike ZZ that follows a similar pacing progression, it never really pays off and it just feels so deeply incomplete and un-thought out. I wish I had more nice things to say about it, but I don't. There is a good reason it was cut short, even given the time to develop the second half plots I don't think would have produced a better show.

It is what it is, and what it is, is what I said it was; feels and acts like a cheap Gundam knock off. They had all these kind of Gundam idea parts, but with no idea of how to fit them together to be worth a drat imo.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Gundam X is a masterpiece compared to other offerings in the series. Pity it's so underrated.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ka0 posted:

Gundam X is a masterpiece compared to other offerings in the series. Pity it's so underrated.

Gundam X is like, high low-tier Gundam. So if you cut out the middle and high tiers, then yeah it's a masterpiece compared to the rest of the low tier.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The thing is with Gundam X is that it isn't good enough to be really well loved by a lot of people, but it isn't bad enough to be infamous.

PMush Perfect posted:

I feel like the only way you could get that funded these days is by being an overt parody, and that makes me kind of sad.

Well, with the kind of poo poo that pops into my head, the line between "affectionate homage" and "overt parody" is kind of blurred. Although the best spoofs are like that, like Black Dynamite or half of Mel Brooks' movies.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Personally, I've always wondered how Gundam X would have turned out if it didn't have to suffer from a few rounds of time slot hot potato. If anything hurt the show in the long run, being kicked around several time slots until landing in the dead zone of early mornings definitely was not good for stability.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I would just as easily chalk it up to a lack of genuine inspiration. Gundam X was the 4th of 4 consecutive annual Gundam TV show products.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

The thing is with Gundam X is that it isn't good enough to be really well loved by a lot of people, but it isn't bad enough to be infamous.

I think that's about right. It wasn't outright bad enough to warrant serious scorn, but it certainly doesn't have enough merits to be particularly memorable and beloved either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man I watched a video from 00 where a squadron of Tierens engage some other mobile suits in an artillery duel before the Exia shows up and clowns them all. Makes me wonder what a show where the Gundam type suits are mobile tanks would be like. Gundam conbat via Mechwarrior

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Man I watched a video from 00 where a squadron of Tierens engage some other mobile suits in an artillery duel before the Exia shows up and clowns them all. Makes me wonder what a show where the Gundam type suits are mobile tanks would be like. Gundam conbat via Mechwarrior

Literally 8th mobile suit team? Outside of the sword fighting thats pretty much exactly how mech combat plays out in the games, and in the setting proper close combats right at home.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Artum posted:

Literally 8th mobile suit team? Outside of the sword fighting thats pretty much exactly how mech combat plays out in the games, and in the setting proper close combats right at home.

08th MS team comes closest but it still has stuff like the Gouf Custom Tarzan swinging across saverfish fighters and the Apsalus firing death rays.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

08th MS team comes closest but it still has stuff like the Gouf Custom Tarzan swinging across saverfish fighters and the Apsalus firing death rays.

Mechwarrior has giant death rays, doesn't it? I am like 90% sure I remember setting up my mech to fire a single huge-rear end laser beam that instantly overheated it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fair enough

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Mechwarrior has giant death rays, doesn't it? I am like 90% sure I remember setting up my mech to fire a single huge-rear end laser beam that instantly overheated it.

I want to say it was possible to load up on enough lasers and missiles that if you fired them all at once you'd just straight up explode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Argevollen had that, with the main mecha’s core innovation being that it could move like a giant human. Pity that show was dull as hell, though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

chumbler posted:

I want to say it was possible to load up on enough lasers and missiles that if you fired them all at once you'd just straight up explode.

Not everyone is meant to go home.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

You can bring enough weapons along that alpha striking causes you to take so much heat damage you melt down, yeah.

No death rays, though, just particle cannons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

Now I'm imaginaing some mechwarrior pilot going " I have no choice.... I have to use it" and then yelling out some anime as gently caress special attack name.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Probably in a Nova Cat because "fire enough PPCs that I turn into an explosion throwing a rave" is their whole deal.

Edit: The rival-turned-good is in a Vulture and the one girl is in a horribly out of her depth Shadow Cat.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 13, 2017

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Monaghan posted:

Now I'm imaginaing some mechwarrior pilot going " I have no choice.... I have to use it" and then yelling out some anime as gently caress special attack name.

I trained as a child soldier in the mountains of a middle east analogue to learn Shinken-Patsu-Baku-Matsu-Hatsu-Datsu-Technique! NOW YOU WILL WITNESS MY TRUE GUNDAM POWER!!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DFA attacks are already pretty anime.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Generally the only way to actually directly kill yourself via overheating is via ammo explosion, especially if you're being dumb and carrying machine gun ammo, because overheating starts running the risk of ammo explosions, and said risk gets higher the further you push the heat gauge - and machine gun ammo in particular might as well just be a nuke going off inside your mech. Seriously, tabletop tactics with stock mechs tends to be dump any MG ammo in the mech first turn, because ammo explosion mechanics (which are of course caused by getting ammo racked too) just turns it into a time bomb.

Otherwise, you're far more likely to die via the expedient of shutting down due to too much excess heat, and then someone shooting you in the cockpit, than melting down your reactor or anything.

And the single big laser would be the Bombast Laser, which sounds cool in theory but is pretty terrible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can bring enough weapons along that alpha striking causes you to take so much heat damage you melt down, yeah.

No death rays, though, just particle cannons.

Did it in a Daishi in Mechwarrior 3. The Annihilator that ate the Alpha Strike died along with it :black101:.

Then I added more Heatsinks and got to working in a survivable state :unsmigghh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

And the single big laser would be the Bombast Laser, which sounds cool in theory but is pretty terrible.
I tried so hard to make the Bombast work in 4 but it just was not worth the trouble.