Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

potatocubed posted:

I'd like to nominate the half-mimic as an exception.

Well, maybe not for actual use; I just wanted an excuse to post it again.
I don't know how but I am going to work in a half-dragon mimic somewhere in a game I run at some point, just to make my players consider the logistics of such a creature's existence.

Edit: of all the things to page snipe with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Half-dragons are overused, and in that case the logistics are almost certainly a wizardsorcerer did it. What you need are one of those 3.5 abominations with a dozen different "half-" templates stuck on it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Moriatti posted:

What the gently caress

If you don't think "Plate-Male" is a hilarious name I don't think I could play a game with you :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

senrath posted:

Half-dragons are overused, and in that case the logistics are almost certainly a wizardsorcerer did it. What you need are one of those 3.5 abominations with a dozen different "half-" templates stuck on it.
I think half-field and half-celestial are more "a wizard did it", and half-illithid already involves weird body horror but nothing that hilarious. I guess dragons also have shapeshifting more often than not. half-fey maybe?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Elfface posted:

Though I do now want to make the next group of players I run a game for incredibly uncomfortable by having a mimic try and seduce them.

just think about how many treasure chests someone has to gently caress before they accidentally impregnate a magic one

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

half-field
Grassy gnoll?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm half-rolling-log-trap

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
All I can think of when half-dragons come up is this dorky strip from Dungeon...

... based on an adventure in the same issue.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Splicer posted:

Grassy gnoll?

Leave me out of this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Crotch posted:

Some time back, I had a couple vacancies in the paragon-tier 4e game I run on Roll20. I was a little worried that it'd be hard to find people interested in a game that was well underway, but I actually got a lot of applications. And a lot of them were really good applications!

But then there was also this:

The video link goes to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOh6CDUpfcY

I, uh... I didn't respond to that one.

That's me

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Yawgmoth posted:

I think half-field and half-celestial are more "a wizard did it", and half-illithid already involves weird body horror but nothing that hilarious. I guess dragons also have shapeshifting more often than not. half-fey maybe?

Yeah, I don't recall exactly where, but I remember it being written that the more social dragons will often shapeshift into a humanoid and spend a few decades having fun, which can often result in half-dragons.

I guess what it mostly comes down to is - humans will have sex with anything. Here in the real world we already have people who claim to be married to and having sex with their cars, among other things.

Oh, and a lady married the Berlin Wall, but had an affair with a fence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Elfgames posted:

that's all good for baseline combat but a large amount of a fighter's problem is lack of things to do outside of combat

That's actually a very easy thing to fix, just change up the skill system so Fighters can have good skills too

Elfface posted:

Yeah, I don't recall exactly where, but I remember it being written that the more social dragons will often shapeshift into a humanoid and spend a few decades having fun, which can often result in half-dragons.

I guess what it mostly comes down to is - humans will have sex with anything. Here in the real world we already have people who claim to be married to and having sex with their cars, among other things.

Oh, and a lady married the Berlin Wall, but had an affair with a fence.

Reminds me of how in Ben 10 Alien Force(and it's sequel Ultimate Alien) they established pretty clearly(but never outright said since it was still a kid's show) that Humanity's special trait was the ability to crossbreed with pretty much any species they wanted to

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Ben 10 lore and canon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

The Ben 10 lore and canon

They actually fleshed out Ben 10's setting fairly well by kid's show standards(albeit not without some continuity snarls), heck it would work better for a Supehero RPG setting than a lot of comic book Superhero settings would

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

That's actually a very easy thing to fix, just change up the skill system so Fighters can have good skills too

i mean that's nice but other classes generally get to bypass the skill system altogether at the very least you should give fighters some points or tokens that let them auto succeed every now and then.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is moving so far afield you might as well start from scratch and ground-up build a skill system and classes that don't suck balls.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if anyone is loving treasure chests on the reg it's gotta be a dragon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

That's easy to do in a pure skills or class based system, but once you throw ability scores into the mix it all goes pear shaped. EotE is the only ability scores + skills system I've seen where you're rewarded for having a high skills/stats combo without meaningfully penalising low stats in a high skill. And in a swords and sorcery setting this still doesn't address the spellcasting verbs issue.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man if anyone is loving treasure chests on the reg it's gotta be a dragon.

If nothing else, it'd deter the looters.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah man do you have any idea what dragon spunk is worth as a material component?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Splicer posted:

That's easy to do in a pure skills or class based system, but once you throw ability scores into the mix it all goes pear shaped. EotE is the only ability scores + skills system I've seen where you're rewarded for having a high skills/stats combo without meaningfully penalising low stats in a high skill. And in a swords and sorcery setting this still doesn't address the spellcasting verbs issue.

Yeah, and like, EotE does it in a really clever way too, but it's also a way that could never be done in D&D. Switching to dice pools would be a massively radical change.

Honestly, the easiest change I can think of is to remove the myriad of things that basically cockblock Strength. There are a trillion and one spells that all have "...and I auto-succeed on whatever strength check this could've been." One reason fighters suffer skill wise in connection to attributes is because Strength is so heavily devalued. Give D&D a simplistic system to measure how much you can carry, throw away bags of holding, and just generally make the game way, way more physical. Like, as it stands, Strength may as well only exist for the sake of melee attack and damage. At high strength - not even magically high! - fighters should be able to eternally succeed at whatever used to fall under "bend bars / open gates." Let them rip manacles off the wall. Let them kick down doors with ease. Let them carry the entire rest of the party, unconscious, under their arms, to safety. This isn't even fantasy genre levels of strength - this is just asking that fighters at least be able to accomplish the same poo poo actual people can do.

Meanwhile a level 20 D&D fighter with max strength asks to lift a car off their baby and the DM probably sucks in air around their teeth and goes "roll with disadvantage, and you need a 20" if they even let them try.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That Time My Players Snuck Into A Dragon's Den To Jack Him Off In His Sleep

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, and like, EotE does it in a really clever way too, but it's also a way that could never be done in D&D. Switching to dice pools would be a massively radical change.
The core concept behind the EotE system is that the highest of (stat + skill) determines odds of success, while the lower influences your chances of ancillary benefits. The first is easy, your modifier is the higher of your stat mod or proficiency. It's that second bit that's the kicker. There's no more information channels to attach that to. You could do some things in combat like damage mods or affect your crit range but with skills you've got limited options.

A 2dX system could work without going full dice pool.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 12, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, the easiest change I can think of is to remove the myriad of things that basically cockblock Strength. There are a trillion and one spells that all have "...and I auto-succeed on whatever strength check this could've been." One reason fighters suffer skill wise in connection to attributes is because Strength is so heavily devalued. Give D&D a simplistic system to measure how much you can carry, throw away bags of holding, and just generally make the game way, way more physical. Like, as it stands, Strength may as well only exist for the sake of melee attack and damage. At high strength - not even magically high! - fighters should be able to eternally succeed at whatever used to fall under "bend bars / open gates." Let them rip manacles off the wall. Let them kick down doors with ease. Let them carry the entire rest of the party, unconscious, under their arms, to safety. This isn't even fantasy genre levels of strength - this is just asking that fighters at least be able to accomplish the same poo poo actual people can do.

Meanwhile a level 20 D&D fighter with max strength asks to lift a car off their baby and the DM probably sucks in air around their teeth and goes "roll with disadvantage, and you need a 20" if they even let them try.

have you considered Death To Ability Scores

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

Everyone applies their top ability score mod to their trained skills. No class restrictions on skills. Arcana is a knowledge skill, not a casting skill. Done.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

slap me and kiss me posted:

Everyone applies their top ability score mod to their trained skills. No class restrictions on skills. Arcana is a knowledge skill, not a casting skill. Done.
Except now Strength is even more useless, because you can max your Athletics by maxing Intelligence or Dexterity and spending a single skill point in Strength's sole noncombat skill, while also getting a bunch of decent secondary skills. It's a bit of a catch 22. Not an unsolvable one, but it's not that easy.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Splicer posted:

Except now Strength is even more useless, because you can max your Athletics by maxing Intelligence or Dexterity and spending a single skill point in Strength's sole noncombat skill, while also getting a bunch of decent secondary skills. It's a bit of a catch 22. Not an unsolvable one, but it's not that easy.

you say that but it sure it seems like it was solved two posts above yours

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

you say that but it sure it seems like it was solved two posts above yours
and by an even handsomer fellow several posts beforehand!

Splicer posted:

That's easy to do in a pure skills or class based system, but once you throw ability scores into the mix it all goes pear shaped.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

Why would strength be useless? It'd allow a fighter with beefed up strength to apply that bonus to any of the game's skills.

E: if you're worried, just say that 1/2 your max attr. bonus is what gets applied to non-trained skills.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 12, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Why would strength be useless? It'd allow a fighter with beefed up strength to apply that bonus to any of the game's skills.
The more general case problem description is that training skills in stats you're good at gets you less net points than ones you're bad at, so you're better off boosting the scores you want to be kind if good at and cherry picking the skills you actually want from tanked stats.

E: if you're worried, just say that 1/2 your max attr. bonus is what gets applied to non-trained skills.
Well now you're not using the ability scores at all, just an obfuscated level-scaled proficiency bonus that's higher for trained skills. Which is bad because obfuscation is bad.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 12, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Double posting: So if I want to be good at three of the five skills under one stat I'm best off tanking that stat and boosting one I'm not taking any skills in.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
If you've a better idea for making skills equitable in a game that's built around ability scores and mods, I'm all ears.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

If you've a better idea for making skills equitable in a game that's built around ability scores and mods, I'm all ears.
If I've come across as jumping on you it was not intentional and I apologise. I'm not attacking you, I'm having an enjoyable discussion about a subject that I've put an unhealthy amount of thought into. The difficulty inherent in making a high stat OR training viable while leaving a high stat AND training desirable is a pet topic of mine.

Generally the answer is "add more information channels".

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

If I've come across as jumping on you it was not intentional and I apologise. I'm not attacking you, I'm having an enjoyable discussion about a subject that I've put an unhealthy amount of thought into. The difficulty inherent in making a high stat OR training viable while leaving a high stat AND training desirable is a pet topic of mine.

Generally the answer is "add more information channels".

Not at all. I'm starting a 4e game in the near future, so I'm actually quite curious about the best ways to make the skill system more equitable.

In making LTB, my approach to this problem was to eliminate ability scores entirely, and abstract the skill system such that any species/background/class combination could tackle any problem using a collection of choice-derived non-combat powers.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Splicer posted:

and by an even handsomer fellow several posts beforehand!

I apologise unreservedly for libelously implying you were some kind of disgusting ability scores sympathiser

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I tried to explore this a bit, but to extend the idea I was working on -

Don't tie skills to ability scores. Tie them to classes with options for niche/cross-class skills linked to a character's background before they started being a murderhobo. Go back to OSR's mandatory minimums for ability scores for each class - that way you get around oddities in the rules like 'why is the Fighter with 9 Str able to bend bars better than my Wizard with 11 Str?' - and only use point-buy as the method for character creation. Like another poster suggested, give 1/2 of your class' core attribute as a bonus to untrained skills, unless you can't use that skill untrained, to give characters the ability to to do something in most situations.

(This tries to get you closer to DTAS without it feeling like you've killed ability scores off entirely. Mandatory minimums ensures that all characters are going to be decent at their core function, with some wiggle room for 'customization' via other attributes).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Not at all. I'm starting a 4e game in the near future, so I'm actually quite curious about the best ways to make the skill system more equitable.

In making LTB, my approach to this problem was to eliminate ability scores entirely, and abstract the skill system such that any species/background/class combination could tackle any problem using a collection of choice-derived non-combat powers.
Replace the +5 bonus with a scaling bonus roughly on par with optimal primary stat mod progression. Use the highest of stat mod or skill bonus for the d20 mod. If the natural die roll on a trained roll is less than or equal to (5 + ability score mod) then, succeed or fail, you get a little side benefit.

e: and just ditch the concept of class skills

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know what finally broke me from the DC Adventures curse? I read the rules on being a Green Lantern and trying to trap someone and went "UGH! Too much work! Can't I just roll one die pool and make a complication? Like in MHR?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

have you considered Death To Ability Scores

If you think I am an ability score sympathizer you are grossly mistaken.

• Locked thread