Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also Cliff Robertson is a super good actor and his confused and frightened "Peter???!??" is extremely legit.

That scene of him dying and having that weak smile of recognition still hits me like a Mack truck.

Granted the Tobey crying face afterwards sort of ruins it but if that were my Uncle/Dad I'd have that ugly cry face too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Brother Entropy posted:

uncle ben being replaced by uncle tony is the biggest reason i'm still skipping homecoming

like, 'replacing blue-collar good values uncle ben with trust-fund arms dealer uncle pennybags' sounds like something you'd make up to make fun of ditko or some other libertarian jack-off in the comics industry but no, marvel studios poured millions going all in on that

Watch it,it's good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

So basically, "Not my Spider-Man"? As that's been pointed among the MoS and BvS discussions, that is no longer a valid argument.

Davros, as a fellow Who thread person, come the gently caress on man.

That hot take of yours is so misplaced that I didn't even see it at first.

See here's the thing, what you took out of context was my preference of Spider-Man, that being the angry bitter one from the 60s and 70s. Mostly the 60s but he showed up a few times after.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Not My Anything because I did not hold this as a detriment against the movie- otherwise I would have to hold it against ALL the movies, which I don't.

That's just my preferred version of the character, who has never been in a movie.

Now if I had made my entire argument based on the fact that this is not the Peter Parker I like, Re Angry Peter, then you would have a point. I did not, so you do not.

If you're going to try and strangle what I say into something related to whatever the gently caress you want to bitch about, make sure it's actually relevant.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Brother Entropy posted:

uncle ben being replaced by uncle tony is the biggest reason i'm still skipping homecoming

like, 'replacing blue-collar good values uncle ben with trust-fund arms dealer uncle pennybags' sounds like something you'd make up to make fun of ditko or some other libertarian jack-off in the comics industry but no, marvel studios poured millions going all in on that

You should watch it, in true Marvel Movies fashion they try to play both sides.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Watch it,it's good.

You should watch it, in true Marvel Movies fashion they try to play both sides.

i'm getting real conflicting messages here but both are telling me to see it???

i'll keep an eye out for whenever it starts cropping up on hbo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Let me say this: I felt exactly like you did, I thought it was a shot at Spidey's working class roots and everyman appeal to make him beholden to Tony Stark, but they did a few things to "soften" the blow (and one really gross thing that I despised, but that's a spoiler).

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm getting real conflicting messages here but both are telling me to see it???

i'll keep an eye out for whenever it starts cropping up on hbo

Homecoming is good, watch it. Spider-man is young and funny, New York is, for once, suitably ethnically diverse, and the bad guy is Michael Keaton being sympathetically Keatonesque.

My favorite thing is, at the end of the day, it's just a story about a dude who wanted to steal stuff being stopped by another dude who doesn't want other people's stuff stolen. No blue lasers from the sky, no planet-terraforming alien menace, no existential threat to Tony Stark's ego: just a solid crime caper.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

euphronius posted:

I think the vulture being a hero and person to root for was a point of the movie?? Or am I really detached from Hollywood perceptions.

The beginning of the movie is literally devoted to showing what a laughably kleptocracy the US has turned into after Iron Man 2 and that it will screw over anyone or anything to enrich Stark. Throughout the movie we are also shown repeated scenes of Stark failing both to take Peter seriously and to mentor him in any significant capacity. Stark could have resolved Vulture in five minutes but he's stuck too far up his rear end to ever take him seriously as a threat, which is especially ironic as Vulture is a threat he himself unwittingly created. Finally, if there still was any doubt that Stark is the real villain of this story it all ends on Peter turning him down and choosing to walk his own path.

This is a concurrent theme in phase 2 and 3 of the Marvel movies by the way. In phase 1 Tony Stark is the bestest guy ever who, while a jerk and narcissist, can do no real fault. Gradually since that point in phase 2 we started seeing how Stark is unreliable, selfish and has delusions of grandeur which almost destroys the world in Avengers 2. At this point it's starting to become questionable what purpose stark hogging the Iron Man technology really serves but massaging his own ego and in phase 3 both Civil War and Homecoming has driven this point down further by outright portraying him as the villain.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Let me say this: I felt exactly like you did, I thought it was a shot at Spidey's working class roots and everyman appeal to make him beholden to Tony Stark, but they did a few things to "soften" the blow (and one really gross thing that I despised, but that's a spoiler).

What's the really gross thing?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Homecoming is good, watch it. Spider-man is young and funny, New York is, for once, suitably ethnically diverse, and the bad guy is Michael Keaton being sympathetically Keatonesque.

My favorite thing is, at the end of the day, it's just a story about a dude who wanted to steal stuff being stopped by another dude who doesn't want other people's stuff stolen. No blue lasers from the sky, no planet-terraforming alien menace, no existential threat to Tony Stark's ego: just a solid crime caper.

This,couldn't have said it better,gently caress anyone who doesn't like homecoming,it's great.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Counterpoint: it's actually kinda boring.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The best part of Homecoming and really the only one I still remember is Spiderman getting his poo poo absolutely ruined by the suburbs.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

It's an optimistic and funny movie about Spiderman. After Spiderman 1 & 3 and ASM 1 & 2 everyone has had more than enough of depressed Peter Parker.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i will never have enough of depressed peter parker

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I could do for some pissed off Parker myself

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

McCloud posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

What's the really gross thing?

In their Spider-Man 33 homage, when Peter is trapped under the rubble, he doesn't hear or imagine the voice of a family member or friend. It's Tony fuckin' Stark berating him. I'm ok with changing stuff from the comics to the movie but the comic is the stronger version, with Peter's love for Aunt May + his guilt at letting Ben die + a great pep talk (way better than "Come on Spider-Man!") motivating him to lift the rubble. Replacing that with lovely Friend And Surrogate Father Tony Stark berating him to get motivated really rubbed me the wrong way.

Brother Entropy posted:

i will never have enough of depressed peter parker

Same, just goes to show you that people don't actually like the comics.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

euphronius posted:

I think the vulture being a hero and person to root for was a point of the movie?? Or am I really detached from Hollywood perceptions.

No that seems right. Vulture was one of the better MCU villains and Keaton dod really great with a very well written role. I didn't care too much for the film but Keaton Vulture was awesome.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spiderman... 6? (We have six of these now? gently caress) is a solidly OK movie with some newer Spiderman ideas, and is a little less concerned with being puritanical Spiderman, which is nice. It doesn't have the emotional punch of Raimi Spiderman but eh, those movies are made, that story is done.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
Where are we supposed to go to discuss Disney's Fox acquisition and talk about how excited we are that the X-Men and Fantastic Four are coming the MCU?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There's this thread and there's one in BSS.

The Redlettermedia thread in GBS would probably also work.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 12, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Top Gun posted:

Where are we supposed to go to discuss Disney's Fox acquisition and talk about how excited we are that the X-Men and Fantastic Four are coming the MCU?

Finally the lost continuities can come together with the Avengers... To punch each other with hyperlethal force, but playfully.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm pretty excited about the mega monopoly which is going to make Disney execs even richer

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't forget giving $60 billion to Fox News.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'd say 'hey maybe now we'll get x-men and doom in marvel vs capcom again' but that latest one ended up being a real turd

so i got no upsides to disney getting one step closer to owning all of us

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Murdoch would also be getting Disney stock out of the deal.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Cameo posted:

Murdoch would also be getting Disney stock out of the deal.

I guess it's pretty thematic for people who like Dr. Doom that this is benefiting the real life version

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm pretty excited about the mega monopoly which is going to make Disney execs even richer

I don't know what's more tantalizing. Wolverine saying BUB in an Avengers movie or the future value of my stock portfolio.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Captain America's unilateral blunder handling the Keaton incident before all of the facts were made available is even more proof that he should have signed the Sokovia Accords.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Top Gun posted:

THE GARBAGE CAN.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Would a Disney buyout of Fox give them the Fantastic Four? My understanding is that Fox licenses FF from the German guy who bought the rights in the late 80s/early 90s. When he released the super low budget FF movie in the early 90s Marvel bought up all copies of it but he still retained the rights. He entered into some sort of licensing deal with Fox so he could retain the rights as they were dependant on him producing and releasing a mouton picture.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

Would a Disney buyout of Fox give them the Fantastic Four? My understanding is that Fox licenses FF from the German guy who bought the rights in the late 80s/early 90s. When he released the super low budget FF movie in the early 90s Marvel bought up all copies of it but he still retained the rights. He entered into some sort of licensing deal with Fox so he could retain the rights as they were dependant on him producing and releasing a mouton picture.

Nobody knows and that's a big discussion point right now. Fox does have some control over the FF though because they traded Ego to Disney for use in Guardians of the Galaxy in exchange for the TV rights to the X-Men which is how LEGION and The Gifted came to be.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The German company is Constantin Films, but they've always collaborated with Fox very regularly to distribute stuff in Europe or vice versa even outside of Fantastic Four stuff.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

The German company is Constantin Films, but they've always collaborated with Fox very regularly to distribute stuff in Europe or vice versa even outside of Fantastic Four stuff.

So is Constantin the producers of the FF movies? What role do they play? Do they make any story/casting/creative decisions for the FF films?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

MiddleOne posted:

It's an optimistic and funny movie about Spiderman. After Spiderman 1 & 3 and ASM 1 & 2 everyone has had more than enough of depressed Peter Parker.

What's optimistic about a vigilante who's prime motivation is thrill seeking? He has the nerve to complain to his friend that "every night somebody tries to take his head off." Complete nutcase.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same, just goes to show you that people don't actually like the comics.

I read one comic book series and bought them every time that came out, and 2 years later I finally stopped buying every issue. I don't like comics. They're expensive. And they get everywhere.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Not according to the DC threads, if one mentions they didn't like certain portrayals in Snyder's films.
lol settle down you loving dingus

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

settle down beavis.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Top Gun posted:

It's incredibly loving depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's incredibly loving depressing.

Disney should buy Warner Bros as well so we can finally get the live action Amalgam adaptation we deserve:

• Locked thread