Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ubers full of homeless millennials, carrying computer cases full of high end GPUs to Washington state, where the electricity is cheap and plentiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
instead of bankers jumping to their deaths, it's thousands of twitter accounts deactivating themselves

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

etalian posted:

the gigs of wrath

Nice!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
some hacker(s) locked down the county government computer systems of Mecklenburg County, NC, which contains Charlotte, NC and Bank of America corporate hq, with ransomware. their price to release county servers: 2 bitcoins.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/12/06/hackers-shut-down-mecklenburg-county-servers-demand-23-k-ransom/926779001/

that was last week. the county gov will not negotiate, so the computer systems remain locked down

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

zeal posted:

some hacker(s) locked down the county government computer systems of Mecklenburg County, NC, which contains Charlotte, NC and Bank of America corporate hq, with ransomware. their price to release county servers: 2 bitcoins.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/12/06/hackers-shut-down-mecklenburg-county-servers-demand-23-k-ransom/926779001/

that was last week. the county gov will not negotiate, so the computer systems remain locked down

Day 1: "Should we pay the fee it's like $30k" "gently caress no that's way too much"
Day 15: "Okay we've lost $470k in productivity, let's just pay the stupid 30k fee" "What do you mean bitcoin is at $250,000 now???"

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

What if hte goal of ransomware is to inject liquidity into bitcoin?????????????

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

they're not smart enough for that

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Day 1: "Should we pay the fee it's like $30k" "gently caress no that's way too much"
Day 15: "Okay we've lost $470k in productivity, let's just pay the stupid 30k fee" "What do you mean bitcoin is at $250,000 now???"

if you look at the url of that article vs the current headline they revised the total amount of the ransom by $3,000 after publishing on 12/6

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

the gigs of wrath

lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Charles Mansion posted:

it’ll be an e-comic

50 shades of bitpay

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

zeal posted:

if you look at the url of that article vs the current headline they revised the total amount of the ransom by $3,000 after publishing on 12/6

omg that's great.

I can't wait until news orgs have a little API service they query to dynamically render bitcoin values / exchange rates in their articles.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

what if bitcoin is the ghost in the machine????????????????????????????????????????????

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

moller posted:

I just wanted to say -

Magic the Gathering Online eXchange.

The economy is being placed on the reserve list.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

the gigs of wrath

would read this book

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

etalian posted:

the gigs of wrath

It makes the weird blowjob scene more understandable, at least

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Market Cap of Bitcoin: 0.28T
Market Cap of Walmart: 0.28T

lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Alpha Mayo posted:

Market Cap of Bitcoin: 0.28T
Market Cap of Walmart: 0.28T

lol

lol bitcoin bubble is going to actually gently caress the global economy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lmaoo we deserve this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol bitcoin bubble is going to actually gently caress the global economy

DO ITTTTTTTTTTTT

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP ISSUES STATEMENT REGARDING WORLD ECONOMIC CRISIS AFTER BITCOIN CRASH

^welcome to this timeline

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Alpha Mayo posted:

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP ISSUES STATEMENT REGARDING WORLD ECONOMIC CRISIS AFTER BITCOIN CRASH

that's a news headline from a scifi thing penned in the pre 9 part of the bush administration, but dismissed as too outlandish and immersion-breaking

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Alpha Mayo posted:

ahahaha this is going to be a real thing that happens

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
How do bitcoin people expect to actually make money from it? Do they expect to buy cars or houses or rent with bitcoin?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

How do bitcoin people expect to actually make money from it? Do they expect to buy cars or houses or rent with bitcoin?

John McAfee Bullish on Bitcoin Price Reaching $1 Million by 2020

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
I lust for bitcoin induced economic death

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

huh?

you can buy bitcoin with dollars and use the bitcoin to buy illegal things anonymously, or you can sell illegal things anonymously for bitcoin and then sell the bitcoin for dollars and the illicit source of your money is concealed

for those purposes it doesn't matter at all what the exchange rate is, for the buyer or the seller, because neither is buying bitcoins to hold. you don't make fun of either of these people, because you can use bitcoin to buy things that your hosed up government prohibits because it's dumb, like psilocybin or LSD

then there are people mining bitcoin for profit, who have mental illness and need your compassion

and then there are the people investing money in bitcoin because they expect the exchange rate between bitcoins and dollars to change, and those people are loving stupid, but not mentally ill, and these are the people who it's fine to cyberbully

and then there are the people writing option and futures contracts for bitcoin, and these people have mental illness but it's the kind where the cure is a guillotine

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
that's my understanding. but i'm really loving dumb and i'm even higher than i am dumb so if my posts make sense to you you must be real fuckin dumb

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

John McAfee Bullish on Bitcoin Price Reaching $1 Million by 2020

Lol I just checked and you can buy a McAfee sub with bitcoin, but only for year+ subs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yes.

Bob has one bitcoin, and "the market" says that that bitcoin is worth a thousand dollars, so Bob should be able to buy a thousand dollars worth of stuff with it.

Now, you and I know that this doesn't really work because you couldn't cash-out all the bitcoin in the world if you tried, but if Bob wants to buy something from Adam, and both Adam and Bob believe that the bitcoin is worth a thousand dollars, then Bob can send his one bitcoin to Adam in exchange for one thousand dollars worth of Adam's stuff, and the question of cashing out the bitcoin is skipped entirely.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
tfw when you can buy LSD with bitcoin but can't buy a BLT

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

that's my understanding. but i'm really loving dumb and i'm even higher than i am dumb so if my posts make sense to you you must be real fuckin dumb

i must be a fuckin idiot then

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
just thinking about all those sweet cheap gpus that will flood the market

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
US will bail out the GPU market.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Also remember that receiving an EFT from a bitcoin exchange will probably end in your bank account being locked and your national tax service auditing your finances.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
goddammit if this crashes the economy that would be so dumb

IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lmaoo we deserve this
:laffo:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this timeline for absolute morons keeps getting stupider than i can possibly imagine

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
dumb poo poo silicon-valley libertarians are literally going to crash the world economy

there literally isn't a more poetic ending to our current crisis than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjfoEvsR9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The rich are rich for a reason. They are just smarter and harder working than you. I don't remember a man poorer in Bitcoin than me offering me a job, do you?