Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Ditocoaf posted:

This take makes the most sense to me out of what I've seen: Patreon doesn't want to be a "money services business"

Agreed, this does make the most sense of all the sound and fury I've read so far.

Still, Patreon really did bungle the whole thing pretty badly by being a little deceptive in its description of the new service model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yep, I think we have a winning explanation for why they are doing what they are doing.

I wonder why being a "money transmitter" is so horrible that they are willing to risk their success like this rather than comply with the regulations that govern the-thing-they-most-definitely-are-and-that-is-the-only-reason-people-use-them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 11, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Yep, I think we have a winning explanation for why they are doing what they are doing.

I wonder why being a "money transmitter" is so horrible that they are willing to risk their success like this rather than comply with the regulations that govern the-thing-they-most-definitely-are.

for similar reasons to why Paypal is very definitely absolutely positively not a bank and Uber totally doesn't employ drivers. The article explains some of the issues that come with being a regulated money service business, the short of it being pretty much all of the convenience that makes using Patreon a desirable alternative to... anything else relies on their not technically being one despite obviously being one, especially if they want to operate internationally.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 11, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe they were leaving those for anyone caught short on the loo.

In Webcomics news: Shelley's not kidding.

We have an actual Esther De Groot sighting in Bad Machinery/Scary Go Round! It's a Christmas miracle!

And she's apparently...talking to a red robot? Man, Giant Days must be going in some weird directions. (Nice use of panel blocking to conceal who, if anyone, she showed up with, though). And I think that's Jack's sister's friend Lauren he's talking to. Oh, and Elliot's there, maybe talking to Holly.

Shelby Winner's a bit of a surprise. Although that might be Mrs. Lord, considering Ken's right there.

And Little Claire is doing a Dazzler cosplay.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, I have no doubt that Lottie and Claire can make some music, because that's just something that naturally occurs with groups of mystery-solving children, but have they ever done anything musical in the comic before?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, I have no doubt that Lottie and Claire can make some music, because that's just something that naturally occurs with groups of mystery-solving children, but have they ever done anything musical in the comic before?
A lot of the mystery teens' musical talents were established back in The Case of The Modern Men.

Shauna was a singer in a power-metal band (until she got kicked out due to the Mod-Rocker war). She later showed up with a guitar in her alter ego, but I dunno if she was ever depicted playing (I think she's just the singer in Go-Kart Conspiracy, though). Heck, Lottie & Claire (and Mimi) discussed founding a band and (presumably) that guitar was Lottie's. Maybe she got her electric guitar as part of Mrs. Grote's financial success in Severed Alliance?

Actually, I'm not sure it's been established what instrument Claire plays.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually, I'm not sure it's been established what instrument Claire plays.

She's doing the pyrotechnics.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I loved the reveal of that.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Why is Scout (the non time-travelling one) even at that party.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just realised that Desmond Fishman is also attending this baby shower.

Could this be the end of Desmond Fishman?

Also, rereading Bad Machinery as research led me to discover Sixteen Miles To Merricks, which was a nice bonus.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Ditocoaf posted:

Why is Scout (the non time-travelling one) even at that party.

It's for her stepsister

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I was a little worried that Scout was going to shoot the baby but i'm glad she's just going to try to kill Shelley instead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Scout's hair was a homage to Tom Baker all along.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zeeman posted:

It's for her stepsister

Half-sister, even. That's what makes her really mad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

Scout's hair was a homage to Tom Baker all along.

It'd work better if her hair hadn't been retconned into being black. Unless...that's a side-effect of her alterations to the timeline?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Was rereading Hard Yards from the start and look at that, Erin called out a few of the events that Scout had been messing with.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Seems like Future Scout's being used to retroactively make Tim less of a danger to himself and others.

Typical Tim Jones, relying on a dangerous invention to get himself out of trouble! :argh:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Going back to ava's demon for a second.... man, has more than a week passed since the start of the comic?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We might have reached, like, day three.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I feel almost personally insulted by the reveal of what Back's title means.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, it's been possible to figure that "the world is a literal living being" for a while now, I'm just disappointed in myself for not predicting the pun.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
The world has a really bizarre form of scoliosis.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Apparently Patreon backed down. Huh.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah im lmaoing heartily over it

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

e: never mind i was beaten

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, considering the fifty or so comics people are saying are connected to it, and spun off it, and weave in and out of it, and just generally exist as part of it...

...how would one even START getting into Scary-Go-Round?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, considering the fifty or so comics people are saying are connected to it, and spun off it, and weave in and out of it, and just generally exist as part of it...

From my understanding the reading order goes:

1. Bobbins
  2. Scary-Go-Round
  3. Giant Days
  4. A fuckton of limited availability short story comics
  5. Bad Machinery

Things get a little hairy when you get to Giant Days because there's actually two different Giant Days series, both focused around Esther de Groot. The first one's a (now unpublished) webcomic mini-series, and the current Giant Days is a serial print comic that's currently(?) in the process of winding down its storyline. There's also a series of Shelly Winters short story comics shoved in before and during Bad Machinery like Murder She Writes, Skellington, and Girl Spy.

Basically yeah holy poo poo you have a task ahead of you because John Allison has been writing about these characters for nearly 20 years now.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

For Scary Go Round proper, you could just start at the beginning:
http://www.scarygoround.com/sgr/

It goes through a number of evolutions of art and style and the cast shifts around a bit over the years, but you can basically read it straight through.

Bobbins (the original) predates it, but is even rougher and I never read it until much later.

If you want to start with his more recent, and more consistent art style and actual plotting work, Bad Machinery would make sense:
http://www.scarygoround.com/ar.php (Also available in print and via comixology)

The bulk of the Bad Machinery cast is new to BM, though a few of them were introduced in the last year or so of Scary Go Round, and some of the Scary Go Round cast turn up from time to time, but knowing their detailed backstory is not really important to enjoy Bad Machinery, which stands alone.

Giant Days follows Esther (a SGR character from the later years) to college and the rest of the cast are new. It also stands alone.

The original Giant Days miniseries is available on Comixology (https://www.comixology.com/Giant-Days-Year-One/comics-series/12162) but not online for free.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 14, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I started with Bad Machinery and that's it. There's a ton of previous content I haven't read yet, but I didn't feel lost at any point; once in a while you get parts that clearly reference some past event (Mordawa comes as a bit of a surprise), but otherwise, any prior happenings are just part of the general tapestry of life, so nothing much jumps out as an event from a previous series that you need to know about. Hell, I think the current chapter is the first time I found out that Tim Jones was mayor at some point, even though he's played a couple of major roles in Bad Machinery.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 14, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ooh, that's a toughie.

You could probably just start with Scary Go Round proper, or alternatively just get into Bad Machinery directly if you don't want to work through the entire archive, since that was designed as a jumping-on point. Most of the tie-in stories aren't necessary for the overarching story, or where they are theyre ususally actually included in the standard Bad Machinery archive.

I think the general consensus is that OG Bobbins is skippable.

Edit: heartily beaten.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
FWIW I just started on this myself, started with Bad Machinery, and it was a totally satisfying binge.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bobulus posted:

We might have reached, like, day three.

Looking back through the archive, yeah, it's maybe been two three days since the start of the comic.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Just read bad machinery and keep in mind that any of the non-parent recurring adults are probably cameos from the older comics. The only bit of complicated backstory that comes up in the modern stuff is what happened to Erin Winters, but you get a sufficient summary of how she got where she is when it's relevant. Allison will also put links to little call-backs he does in the author's comments right below a new page. Today's Paul Hollywood cameo is uncredited, however.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 14, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

Just read bad machinery and keep in mind that any of the non-parent recurring adults are probably cameos from the older comics. The only bit of complicated backstory that comes up in the modern stuff is what happened to Erin Winters, but you get a sufficient summary of how she got where she is when it's relevant. Allison will also put links to little call-backs he does in the author's comments right below a new page. Today's Paul Hollywood cameo is uncredited, however.

Yeah Scary Go Round has pretty much sitcom continuity, there's an overarching story running through it but it should barely matter for the purposes of jumping into a given episode and getting the gist

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Plus, Allison's really good about linking back to a relevant story if it's worth reading. As you might expect from a series that's been ongoing for twenty years, SGR is of varying quality, but the stories Allison references are the good ones.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah you only read Bobbins if you have some strange desire to see the characters before their tone was really set

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Seems like Future Scout's being used to retroactively make Tim less of a danger to himself and others.

Typical Tim Jones, relying on a dangerous invention to get himself out of trouble! :argh:

Making Tim dead will lessen the danger he poses to people yes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soon another Scout will pop up trying to save her dad.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Des just kicked the door open and knocked Scout flat on her face, calling it now.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fortis posted:

Des just kicked the door open and knocked Scout flat on her face, calling it now.

Oh god, I didn't see it, but you are 100% correct.

EDIT: lol at Shelley hanging out in the redhead corner. This party is clearly an excuse for John to draw various forgotten characters together at his whim.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I realized what it meant immediately after reading that page. Just, wow.

Also, this means that the crack near where Abigail was buried that was mentioned back near the start of the comic was the world's butt.

Anyway, huh, besides this, that map means that they're actually really close to the capital. I wonder if the comic's going to be a relatively short, two-or-three book story, or if things are going to go on for a while after Abigail and Daniel arrive in Goodness and do things there.