Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm just glad they finally let Sakura age. She would have been like in her early 20s in Street Fighter 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

KOF had the 3 but thats a weird one since the game came with like 50 characters anyway. Guilty Gear characters are free if you keep up with the game. Tekken added one character for 6 bucks and he came with new stage, songs and the same endless customization everyone else gets...SFV is priced like a free game that I got duped into paying 60 dollars for and wnat my money back because at this point, even if i wanted to play a majority of the roster would be unavailable for me to even try.

I'unno about KOF14 but their four character pack shows at about the same price as S1 to me, so it's better priced but you get less DLC. It might even out at the end. GG just releases a new version in lieu of a season pass, and you still have to buy some characters, don't you? I think REV 2 with the extra characters matches S2 in price. I'm not even gonna bother talking about BB. T7 Geese is super expensive here because he comes bundled and you pay about the same for Eliza on a per-character basis - so far it's a season pass with A character on it with a second one confirmed, so it's hard to tell how much each character will cost on a per piece basis. IJ2 I'm confused about because I dunno if the Ultimate Edition gets you everything, I'm assuming not because there's an ultimate pack that gives you characters PLUS an upgrade to get the next 9 dudes. Maybe it's a regional pricing thing, but when it comes down to it SFV isn't an outlier on a per character basis, it just releases way more DLC.

I understand being disappointed at SFV and how bare-bones it was at release, I understand not wanting to support that poo poo and hell, I'm not, but any game that lasts long enough racks up ridiculous "on release" DLC price. The biggest sin SFV commited was having NOTHING when it came out and then pumping them numbers up with fighter packs, which just makes it look like the base product wasn't worth it. I'd still have this model than have Arcsys' old "your game is useless now, buy the new revision even if you don't give a gently caress about any of the characters on it because rebalancing is attached to it".

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
really it's got to be maddening paying 60 up front at the start of sfv and having only the base game when paying 60 now can get you a full s1dlc character roster plus the base game

idc about arcsys dlc stuff, I've never felt ripped off by guilty gear. it probably helps that it's a good game though

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

In Training posted:

He's not wrong though, juri is the only character I want to play and she manages to be absolutely worthless in a game where you don't need much to be useful.

Don't I know it, she was my main when I played.

Dias posted:

I understand being disappointed at SFV and how bare-bones it was at release, I understand not wanting to support that poo poo and hell, I'm not, but any game that lasts long enough racks up ridiculous "on release" DLC price. The biggest sin SFV commited was having NOTHING when it came out and then pumping them numbers up with fighter packs, which just makes it look like the base product wasn't worth it. I'd still have this model than have Arcsys' old "your game is useless now, buy the new revision even if you don't give a gently caress about any of the characters on it because rebalancing is attached to it".

Yeah I've probably spent over 100 bucks just keeping up with Xrd releases which is fine because it's good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think Xrd Rev is a ripoff and I commend Arcsys for changing up their upgrade system. But I mean, I could say that I paid full price for Xrd and now I can get Rev 2 with DLC for the same amount of money, except Xrd doesn't matter anymore unlike base SFV, which still has the same playerbase.

edit: but yeah, at the end of the day SFV's main problem is that it's Not Good, the DLC just exacerbates how dry the base game was.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arzachel posted:

You're such a whiny bitch it makes hating on SFV feel bad by association.

I'm secretly a Capcom shill and that's our genius marketing strategy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
'Fool me nine times shame on me' I say to no one in particular as I reinstall again.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sakura’s alpha 2 stage looks amazing in hd. Honestly i want more alpha 2 stages!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why are y'all salty about Blanka: a fun and good character?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

mango sentinel posted:

hf, cvs2

personally I like blanka

edit oh also he was a gimmick character in sf4

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

mango sentinel posted:

blanka looks and sounds annoying, his gameplan has been "do random/gimmicky poo poo and win" for years, and beyond that he doesn't really have anything that stands out moveset wise

he's the unholy trinity of things that make a fighting game character bad. even back in SF2 he was lame because he was just honda 2

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm just glad they finally let Sakura age. She would have been like in her early 20s in Street Fighter 4.

It had to happen at some point but personally I think it owns super hard that Sakura canonically took nine years to finish high school

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think you guys are heavily discounting the satisfaction of a 50/50 where neither player knows which side it's hitting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Her attendance was probably abysmal.

Also her backstory is close enough to jaded salary woman so I'll take it, Capcom.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Happy with the dlc characters. Don't care for most of em besides blanka but happy for Cody fans especially.

Most excited for balance changes, from what I have seen at PSX Abigail has new Combo routes. Vega v-skill has either full body invincibility or is coded to be air attack immune like a MP DP, and you can finally get ex walldive to combo after VT rose.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

It had to happen at some point but personally I think it owns super hard that Sakura canonically took nine years to finish high school

On par with people that supported SFV since release.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

On par with people that supported SFV since release.

I was kicked out mandatory due to age so I never got to 9 years. Please respect those who have not had the same opportunities as other, better SFV players. It’s really not our fault.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hating blanka is a sin

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

good to see the story art is still super terrible

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Cody was the only way I'd look at this again and it happened. Not sure how to feel about this.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

darealkooky posted:

blanka looks and sounds annoying, his gameplan has been "do random/gimmicky poo poo and win" for years, and beyond that he doesn't really have anything that stands out moveset wise

CvS2 A-Blanka is not a gimmick

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It's really weird just how much mocap they use for everything now. Like 80 percent of Abigail, chunks of Menat(though it looks good on her), all cinematics, and certain moves on certain characters.

One might say Capcom or Blimps or whatever they farm it out likes that process. Still excited about sagat and cody because Capcom has me before they couldn't count to 3.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's really weird just how much mocap they use for everything now. Like 80 percent of Abigail, chunks of Menat(though it looks good on her), all cinematics, and certain moves on certain characters.

One might say Capcom or Blimps or whatever they farm it out likes that process. Still excited about sagat and cody because Capcom has me before they couldn't count to 3.

idk they rotoscoped a ton of poo poo in 3s and people consider that one of the most beautiful games of all time

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

anime was right posted:

idk they rotoscoped a ton of poo poo in 3s and people consider that one of the most beautiful games of all time
Sure but the bits that are brought up again and again about 3s' awesome animations aren't the rotoscoped crap but all the smears and deformations that have nothing to do with it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

darealkooky posted:

I can understand hating his gameplan/gameplay, but how is the concept of attacks like turning himself into a giant spinning speeding ball and covering his whole body in electricity not "stand out movement wise"? SF2 had a couple of weird characters/attacks, and at the time Blanka was certainly up there in weirdness.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I hated that costume in 4 that took up half the screen. Blanka ball was jarring with those big rear end wings.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ventana posted:

I can understand hating his gameplan/gameplay, but how is the concept of attacks like turning himself into a giant spinning speeding ball and covering his whole body in electricity not "stand out movement wise"? SF2 had a couple of weird characters/attacks, and at the time Blanka was certainly up there in weirdness.

I didn't mean so much the animation as their mechanics. At the end of the day ball and electric are just honda headbut/hands but more annoying. This is where you post a bunch of shotos and own me I guess but blanka has never done it for me.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I play Ken and I hated fighting him.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
SF2 banka good
SF4 blanka bad

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
all blankas are equally bad and deserve to be put down, if necessary in a humane way

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
For the record, I think SFIV Blanka was a lot of fun to play but incredibly stupid.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

I didn't mean so much the animation as their mechanics. At the end of the day ball and electric are just honda headbut/hands but more annoying. This is where you post a bunch of shotos and own me I guess but blanka has never done it for me.

Blanka’s gone a long way from basically being a Bad version of Honda in SF2. With all the extra mobility options and what-not and a removed emphasis on keeping charge compared to big E. He’s... still not very good but he’s in the same boat Alex is in that it’s just his kit sucks and has no synergy with itself and there’s nothing they can do about it outside completely remaking him for SFV. (Or just completely overpowering his normals like CvS2 so it doesn’t matter how bad everything else is, I guess)

Which, I mean, they’ve done for characters already in V so maybe it’s finally Blanka’s time. There’s no reason we had to have gotten ‘3S but with stuff missing’ trash garbage Alex instead of some kind of revamp that actually made him a playable character.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I guess I'll install this and log in once a week to get some fight monies so I can buy the new waifus and husbandos

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

darealkooky posted:

Actually I'd probably start with saying that electricity isn't that much like hands or chun-li's lightning legs outside of the motions.

But nah, I think I get that you're saying something like "none of these moves feel exciting to use" rather than their base art concepts. I'd still disagree, but I at least understand that there is some preferences that will be at play here. Personally I never found Honda's moves much fun, so I've always preferred to mess around with Blanka if we compared those two.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
cant wait to see how theyre gonna utterly gently caress up the characters i love so much

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
From memory Blanka was much more fun to play than Honda in SF2 because of his movement and normals. It's also weird to say Blanka was redundant because he shares specials with a character when Ryu and Ken exist.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Futuresight posted:

From memory Blanka was much more fun to play than Honda in SF2 because of his movement and normals. It's also weird to say Blanka was redundant because he shares specials with a character when Ryu and Ken exist.

Blanka is ‘fun’ compared to Honda in SF2 because Honda’s entire play style is based around the down-back position and controlling space around himself EXTREMELY well. In the SF2 games, Honda’s comedy-tier matchup chart is always like 7-3/8-2 against character that have to approach him, and 3-7/2-8 against characters that get to throw fireballs at his husky butt all day (and don’t get punished on reaction by Honda’s low quick jump- sorry HF Chun)

Blanka’s faster foot speed and... well, overall worse buttons for covering against attacks means Blanka is usually a much more offensive character. That’s is a problem when he’s a Charge character who has to approach. His great foot speed always helped, as did his big buttons, but his high jump was always a liability, electricity has to be one of the jankiest Hit/hurtboxes in SF2 (usually not in Blanka’s favor) and the fact he has a hard time holding a charge while doing anything else he wants to do is... bad. Real bad.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Futuresight posted:

Hey, Ken was different from Ryu in SF2

There was a bug where in edge cases he (Ken) did more damage!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Blanka was cool because he could bite people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

We Know Catheters posted:

Blanka was cool because he could bite people

zangief bit people to death in sf2