Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Barudak posted:

It's fine for the Nazis to blame all of their social ills on the Jews and evict them from their businesses and homes, as long as they paid a fair market price the Jews were willing to settle for.

If you thought "hey that would never work, and at best completely alienate the Jews and make them still ripe for further exploitation" you're not a published economist.

Before World War 2, some Jews were allowed to leave Germany and emigrate as long as they gave the Nazis all their money first (and found somewhere willing to take them, because being racist about immigration is not a new thing in e.g. Britain or the US).

Presumably this was the free market at work and thus fine and good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I get that, to a degree. But pulling your books out during social engagements?

Seems way more likely to be some kind of martyrdom display to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Classes ARE easier as an older adult, or at least they were for me. But that’s because with semi-maturity comes the power to attend class and resist the urge to half-rear end anything you think you can get away with.

The former I can probably agree with, but the latter, lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Pick posted:

Me [26/F] with my boyfriend [29/M] of five years is going back to school after dropping out in his freshman year but he's acting like a child about itRelationships
2 points 12 comments submitted 1 year ago by matilda_wormwood to r/relationships

quote:

into The world of academia, that you feel smarter and more knowledgeable and generally sort of arrogant about what you know. It's not a bad thing, and it's natural to get into that kind of mindset when you finish high school

fuckin lmao yeah its normal to turn into a shithead the second you pick up a book, makes sense to me

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lol she couldn't be a more stereotypical phd student. She's actually mad at the bf because she's doing a doctorate at a private school and he's just getting a degree from a community college. That's the true issue that post is about. It has nothing to do with the character of his efforts or whatever, it's about 'how can you give a poo poo about any of this, don't you know that I'M GETTING A PHD". Can't wait for her to start rolling her eyes whenever he mentions anything about school in the next few years, it's going to be great.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Show me one person in academia who's well adjusted. I'll wait :smugbert:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Inescapable Duck posted:

The former I can probably agree with, but the latter, lol

Yeah, learning how to competently half rear end something as well as wring maximum points from an abject technical failure via bullshitting are actually two of the life skills I agree make going back to college later in life a fair bit easier, alongside actually occasionally showing up/listening

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Palpek posted:

Lol she couldn't be a more stereotypical phd student. She's actually mad at the bf because she's doing a doctorate at a private school and he's just getting a degree from a community college. That's the true issue that post is about. It has nothing to do with the character of his efforts or whatever, it's about 'how can you give a poo poo about any of this, don't you know that I'M GETTING A PHD". Can't wait for her to start rolling her eyes whenever he mentions anything about school in the next few years, it's going to be great.

yeah i feel like if she genuinely just had his best interests at heart she'd be able to shrug and go 'well better he's working too hard than not hard enough'

and if it is really only about that then just give 'em a semester to adjust to being back in school and he'll chill out a little

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Her main issue with him was that he was lazy and sat around playing video games and smoking weed all the time.

Now he is not being lazy and sitting around playing video games and smoking weed all the time, and she is upset and wants him to slack off.

She didn't realise how comfortable she was with their relationship dynamic where she was the awesome productive academic and he was the lazy fuckup. Now that he's not being a lazy fuckup, she feels threatened so has to find some way to reassert how she is the "good" one in the relationship. After all, what if he works hard and gets his life together and then realises that he could actually do better than her? Instead, she'll sabotage his efforts to study and make him feel like his hard work is actually worth poo poo compared to the gleaming towers of academia that she and other "real" students occupy. When he fails, she is then safe and will never have to critically examine her own life or improve herself because she's so successful and great compared to her uneducated pot slob; she'll always looks great by default.

If she actually gave a poo poo, Ms "I teach people at this level for a living" would offer to help or give him some kind of study advice to make it all feel a bit less overwhelming. It's a big life change going from being a lazy pot smoker whose free time is his own to having homework and trying to learn math again after a decade of not using it.

Maybe he is dumb and finds easy subjects difficult, but it's really lovely to judge people for being smart or dumb because they have no control over their innate intelligence. The only thing they can actually control is how much effort they put into learning things, and he is apparently putting in a lot of effort and getting great grades as a result. It's pretty telling that she finds his hard work and success threatening rather than exciting. Maybe he is making a bit of a show of being a student, but that is probably because she clearly makes such a show of her identity as an academic. She's clearly used to being "the smart one" - whatever lipservice she pays about him being smart:

quote:

He gets great grades because he's an adult at a community college attending class with a bunch of teenagers basically, not necessarily because he's smarter than any of them, just way older.

:drat:

She in no way thinks he is smart and hates the fact that he is succeeding.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Me [29 M] with my GF [27 F] 4 months, compares my car to her exes.

quote:

So this Sunday GF is over at my place. We have sex. After that I drive her home in my car. After like 5 minutes she's saying: "Why did you buy a car like this, it does not have heating in the seats. The previous guy had heating in the seats in his BMW." - All this with a poo poo eating pretentious grin.

I almost had no words to say.. I say "seriously this is an extremely poo poo thing to say even as a joke, would I have said anything like this you would have most likely broken up on the spot."

She says nothing just grins like this is just a joke or something. Like it's even more amusing to her that I'm upset about this.

Am I overreacting? I mean, she does make many sarcastic/teasing jokes all the time also with her colleagues at work.

PS: Now that I remember, this is actually the second comment now about my car (which is brand new btw. just not BMW or some other status-symbol crap) and in direct comparison with the previous dude's car.

tl;dr: GF sais her exes car was better because it was a BMW and had heating in the seats.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Don't date people who take joy in legitimately upsetting you why would you need to be told that

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ArbitraryC posted:

Like I'm not trying to poke fun at the guy for taking his coursework seriously and reviewing it as needed, but it does feel over the top for him busting out his books while she buys something from a vending machine. I think she always viewed him as a smart dude who didn't apply himself, and she's coming to the stark realization that he's not.

I feel for the guy, honestly. I was on the fence about applying to grad school (and was probably the only linguistics grad in my BA group to not want to be an audiologist). When I decided to take my GRE, I doubled down probably way too hard on the math part and took that GRE prep book drat near everywhere on the off chance I had some time to kill and could go over all the 9th grade level math formulas I'd forgotten about since it'd been seven years since I'd ever used them.

I love the 'smart but doesn't apply himself' complaint. Beep boop I am a PhD student. I only date the most exceptional of mental stock.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I [28m] can’t have children. My girlfriend [25f] of three years is pregnant. What do I do?

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been trying for a child for 12 months with no success. Finally, she became pregnant and we were over the moon. We both wanted two children. So i decided to go to the doctors to get my fertility checked. I thought I might of had a low sperm count. I told my girlfriend that I’d be going doctors to check my fertility.

Test results come back and I’m non-fertile. I can’t have children. I have no sperm in my ejaculation. I have low levels of hormones in the pituitary gland.

Well, that means I have not fathered the baby. I asked the medical doctor if there’s anyway I could ever get someone pregnant, he said no.

So I’m really shocked and just at a loss. She must have cheated on me so now I don’t know what to do. I’m thinking about leaving her without a discussion because it’s not like I’ll be leaving MY baby behind. As it wasn’t me who got her pregnant..

I’m sad that I’m infertile and knowing I’d never be able to father a biological child upsets me to no end. But I could have adopted or got some help like Artificial Insemination by donor for my girlfriend. But shes gone and cheated.

TLDR. :: girlfriend cheated on me because she’s pregnant but I’m infertile. Do I just leave?
What a dilemma.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Danaru posted:

Don't date people who take joy in legitimately upsetting you why would you need to be told that

Given the theme of the page, I'd blame amazingly terrible parenting and/or being bullied to pieces in school

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Enfys posted:

She in no way thinks he is smart and hates the fact that he is succeeding.

They should open the relationship.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Barudak is married and I am still a love ronin, my heart crushed by the wheels of neurodiversity

Forbidden Love!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Part of getting older is realizing your weaknesses and knowing how to correct them. I'm going to be starting college back up next year and I'm definitely going to have to take remedial math classes.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Palpek posted:

I [28m] can’t have children. My girlfriend [25f] of three years is pregnant. What do I do?

What a dilemma.

Eh either this guy is supremely stupid or this is fake. Infertility workup is crazy expensive and generally requires insurance pre-authorization, nobody would pay for it if he genuinely thought he had just knocked up his girlfriend

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

My teenage rebellion was applying to colleges with good career prospect trajectories and lots of scholarship money, getting varsity letters in sports, and spending time in heterosexual relationships with American citizens. My parents told me they were disappointed in my life but had learned to accept it when I revealed to them I had a good paying job with strong career prospects in a commercial industry after leaving college.

Deviant

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's hard to go back once you've experienced heated seats.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Before World War 2, some Jews were allowed to leave Germany and emigrate as long as they gave the Nazis all their money first (and found somewhere willing to take them, because being racist about immigration is not a new thing in e.g. Britain or the US).

Presumably this was the free market at work and thus fine and good?

This is coercive theft of property and considered only marginally better than just killing them all. They basically wanted the Nazis to eminent domain the Jews.

For instance, its a pretty common position in their circles that of the many reasons Abraham Lincoln was a terrible abomination of a president he should have compensated the slave owners for their loss of property.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Jeza posted:

Let me guess. You are still waiting?:downs:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jeza posted:

Does someone who entered academia as their retirement plan/excuse to show the world their collection of over 5,000 hawaiian t-shirts count?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Does someone who entered academia as their retirement plan/excuse to show the world their collection of over 5,000 hawaiian t-shirts count?

No, Ronnie.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

It's hard to go back once you've experienced heated seats.

Yeah, but it's also easy to not say out loud every thing that crosses your mind, and yet we have OP's GF

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Barudak posted:

Look man I have to have some way to exhibit my wardrobe!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

My [28 F] boyfriend's [32 M] stories are boring to me

quote:

I know this makes me sound like an awful person but my boyfriend's stories are SO long.

Every single day he gets home from work and begins with an exasperated sigh and a loud cackle: "Ohhh god... You're not going to BELIEVE what happened today."

Then he jumps into an extremely long and detailed story about his day, in which everyone else is doing stupid crap and annoying him, and he has to save the day.

He always interrupts himself with his own laughter and says, "Just wait, it only gets better."

Then when it finally ends, I say "Wow that is unbelievable" and he cackles again and says: "Oh I'm just getting started! That's only the first of 3 stories!"

I reply "Ugh, jeeze..." in a less enthusiastic voice. He doesn't notice that and begins on story #2.

From his laughter and buildup he seems to think I really enjoy these stories? But I'm pretty obviously not interested after the first 10 minutes, because in my opinion, that's way too long for a story.

I try to tell him how my day went too for 60 seconds, which he rarely responds to, or turns it back to a story about himself.

I love him but I seriously can't take this anymore. How can I talk with him about this without hurting his feelings? I don't want him to feel like he can never share stories with me. I just wish he could quell the theatrics and trim the stories.

tl;dr: Boyfriends stories are really long, he finds them hilarious and does a lot of buildup and detail, continues telling more even though I am clearly uninterested. How can I tell him that I do not find these as entertaining as he does?
:murder:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Palpek posted:

Me [29 M] with my GF [27 F] 4 months, compares my car to her exes.

“Hey, one last question before you go, how does the walk home from my place to your house compare with your ex’s?”

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Palpek posted:

It's like a vampire, once you let him in he can get in any time he wants!

Should have cut him off after the first bitching session.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Palpek posted:

32 years old and already someone's obnoxious grandpa.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

therobit posted:

My[16m] Mom[40s f] told everyone in the neighborhood I was gay. Says it's homophobic if I don't want to date other dudes. I'm NOT gay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5i6BHBuqxE

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Palpek posted:

This is why you find a workmate you can hang with after work so you can both vent about poo poo which would bore a normal person to death.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Barudak posted:

This is coercive theft of property and considered only marginally better than just killing them all. They basically wanted the Nazis to eminent domain the Jews.

For instance, its a pretty common position in their circles that of the many reasons Abraham Lincoln was a terrible abomination of a president he should have compensated the slave owners for their loss of property.

Delaware offered compensated emancipation but the slaveholders wouldn't take them up on it. Because they really, really liked slavery.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah, but it's also easy to not say out loud every thing that crosses your mind, and yet we have OP's GF

I know my gf has said a whole bunch of poo poo about the cars I've owned in the past that I just roll my eyes at ("why did you buy such an old car?" "why didn't you buy one with seats in the back?" "why do you keep it when it breaks down so much" etc. Typically at a really opportune juncture, like when I'm skinning my knuckles trying to fix something).

That being said, comparing it to her ex boyfriend's car was typical reddit-level shitheadery. The only acceptable answer there is to say to get out and walk it if it's such a hardship.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Delaware offered compensated emancipation but the slaveholders wouldn't take them up on it. Because they really, really liked slavery.

Then the offer wasn't high enough is their position. I do need to repeat that Austrian School Libertarians who are the absolute most hardcore don't actually believe in evidence. If you don't believe me, let me quote the Wikipedia page here on one of their biggest names: "He wrote that conclusions could not be inferred from empirical observation or statistical analysis and argued against the use of probabilities in economic models"

Granted, the other more mainstream position for Libertarians is that Slavery was defacto wrong because those agreements weren't willingly entered upon so the Slaves had a right to be free. This then runs directly into an issue of what the proper use of force was and a lot of Libertarians get caught up in the old "You can have your pound of flesh but you aren't allowed to spill a single drop of blood" issue.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vargatron posted:

Part of getting older is realizing your weaknesses and knowing how to correct them. I'm going to be starting college back up next year and I'm definitely going to have to take remedial math classes.

Good luck!

(Unless you're talking about remedial classes at a community college).

But seriously, when you haven't had to find the cosine of something in however many years, I don't fault someone for having to relearn it. Math teachers were full of poo poo when they said we'd need that poo poo in everyday life. Most I've ever used was, like, figuring out the area of something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

My wife[34f] and I [35m] tried an open relationship and 3 ½ months in I am disgusted by her behavior.

quote:

My wife and I have been married for 6 years, together for 8 and we have a 3 year old daughter together. As with a lot of longer relationships, our sex life started to dwindle. For my wife, her sex life went through phases where she would want it a lot (when she started reading 50 shades) and other times where it just didn’t happen.

We decided that we would try to mix things up, we went to try swinging a shot and neither of us felt it was right. Knowing someone for a couple hours, and then going to full on penetration felt awkward. To add to it, there were rarely any attractive couples, most people were older and fat.

My wife suggested we try an open relationship, we would both be honest to each other, and the main point of the point was to be an extracurricular aspect. Most of our energy would go into making our marriage better so after months of talking we finally agreed to it. I started off by making a Tinder account, and then my wife got upset that I was “looking for something” when she wanted the relationship to come to me.

I deleted the account like she asked. Then about a month in, she says she is going to go on a coffee date with this guy. I reluctantly agreed, however the day of when she was going on her date she said something that really irked me. She wanted to call it quits, because she felt like she didn’t look hot enough for him. I know she was trying to make a good impression but seriously? Not hot enough for him, but she never tries that hard with her appearance for me.

Then things got worse, when their relationship went physical, she rarely would want to have sex with me, she said she felt worn out and said the next day. Next day would come and she still wouldn’t want to. Plus every time she went out I would be responsible for our daughter and the household chores. Before opening up our relationship we had once or twice a week, after opening up, it went down to once every two weeks, and the sex was worse.

Then one thing happened that really got me upset. My wife came home from the other guy’s house, and later that night we went to have sex. However, I noticed that her rear end in a top hat looked bruise, I asked her what happened, and I realized that she had anal sex with the other guy. She started crying and I ended up leaving the house. At that point I lost it, I know to a lot of you this will come off as silly. However, for the longest time I have tried to get my wife to try anal sex with me, it’s one of my top fantasies. And now I see that she hosed this random guy, but not me. She tried to tell me it just 'happened' however she didn't explain why she didn't tell him to stop.

At that point I was considering getting a lawyer and divorcing her there however I chose not to. I don’t want to break up our family. My wife said she will end the open relationship however I don’t even know. I feel ripped off because I couldn’t even sleep with one person. While she had a relationship for a couple months with another guy. Plus, I don’t view sex with my wife the same anymore, after the whole incident. She said we can have anal sex, however I don't even want to anymore that whole thing has been ruined for me. Emotionally I want to call it quits, however rationally I want to preserve my family. We have went to couple’s counseling however it is terribly expensive, and we don’t feel that it is effective.

So I am coming to you all for advice. What do we do?

tl;dr - Wife and I tried an open relationship, ended up with me hating her guts. I want to break up, however I don't want to ruin our family.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Honestly between all the bruising (wtf), "it just happened," and her sudden willingness to dump the guy, the anal doesn't sound super consensual or fun. On top of the whole rest of the mess of course

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Palpek posted:

My wife[34f] and I [35m] tried an open relationship and 3 ½ months in I am disgusted by her behavior.

Whelp, that marriage is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Jealousy is a real emotion. Why do these idiots somehow think they can avoid it completely? It's not a virtue to be unable to feel a valid and normal human emotion.