Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Intellectual property accelerationism, once Disney owns all the cultural properties the cannibalistic structures of capitalism will devour it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Disney should buy Warner Bros as well so we can finally get the live action Amalgam adaptation we deserve:

What the gently caress is wrong with his feet?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't even think of a good joke for the Disney/Fox thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can't even think of a good joke for the Disney/Fox thing.

It's just not really funny at all.

A monopoly of almost all blockbuster films is pretty much the antithesis of how the blockbuster movement started in the 70s. It's just terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uhhh... Disney's The Fox and the Hound and The Fox.

No, drat it, that sucks

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Top Gun posted:

So is Constantin the producers of the FF movies? What role do they play? Do they make any story/casting/creative decisions for the FF films?

IIRC all they do is get a producer credit in the movies and collect a check.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with his feet?

That's just how feet were in the 90s.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's incredibly loving depressing.

I can't wait for six months of "DOES THIS MEAN WE FINALLY GET THE OG STAR WARS" when Kathleen Kennedy already said "no, you're not getting the OG Star Wars."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I do feel like if I were Disney, I'd gently hint at a future in which the pre-special editions were released even if it isn't practical or worth it, just to stoke the already-adoring fanbase some more.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Timby posted:

I can't wait for six months of "DOES THIS MEAN WE FINALLY GET THE OG STAR WARS" when Kathleen Kennedy already said "no, you're not getting the OG Star Wars."
"We're giving you something better than OG Star Wars. Star Wars / MCU crossover!"

*every character from every Star Wars & MCU game, cartoon, TV show, book and reality come barging into the producers meeting*

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 12, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A friend of mine wrote this about the issues with Guardians 2. It's an interesting read.

quote:

See, the big escape plan involves Yondu straight-up murdering every Ravager on his ship with the help of his trusty arrow.

This sequence is set to the offbeat, slow-motion swagger of “Come a Little Bit Closer,” a song that celebrates the romanticism of outlaws. It includes scenes of toddler Groot killing some of the pirates who humiliated him.

It’s also filmed as the “fun” midpoint of the film.

Nearly every death in this sequence is staged for either its cool factor (look how efficient and cold-hearted Yondu is!) or its LOL-worthy absurdity (haha! They DROPPED A SPACESHIP on them!).

The audience is expected to cheer for baby Groot giving these villains their just desserts, and for Yondu enacting his justified revenge.

So the tonal result of this whole sequence is… we’re supposed to laugh because bad people got killed in a righteous and amusing fashion?

We’re supposed to view Yondu, Rocket, and toddler Groot as badass outlaws because they… murdered a bunch of other outlaws?

We’re supposed to cheer for the death and destruction of the very same characters whose deaths one movie ago would have been considered noble and tragic, but is now justified as being earned and deserved… right?

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

No one needs to take anything FoldableHuman has to say seriously ever again:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/940493552278126592

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Pr'aps that's who no-one noticed dying in Suicide Squad.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

We joke a lot about MoS being so traumatic that it causes people to hallucinate things that don't actually happen in the film but this seems to suggest that's actually true.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jutsuka posted:

The rest of that aside it's been a while since I saw it but doesn't he save them from getting crispy? Like, that's what ultimately forces the suicide by cop.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The rest of that aside it's been a while since I saw it but doesn't he save them from getting crispy? Like, that's what ultimately forces the suicide by cop.

Yes, and quite clearly so. Dan Olson is either blind or disingenuous.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wait hold on, does that guy think that Superman lets Zod fry the family or twists his neck into frying them? Because that's demonstrably not true, you can freeze-frame it/rewind it and see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h55YePGLYHQ&t=124s

What a contemptible moron.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It's been argued both ways. The family is not shown again after the last shot of the beam being literally right on top of them. Generally the way it's framed appears to make you think otherwise (Superman pulls Zod's head UP before snapping his neck, aiming his eyebeams away from the family) but it's not inaccurate to say that it can be read either way and there is evidence to support it.

That said uh, a half-second shot of the family running away afterwards would probably not have been a bad thing to underline "Superman did a great tragedy to save these lives" instead of having them vanish off the face of the Earth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I think we even SEE them after the fact.

Not like, directly and cheering and poo poo that you'd get in a Marvel movie but I think we see them scamper off

But yes, they're alive. He takes a life to save theirs

Screaming at nothing in particular

loving Christ

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"This guy still giving you trouble?"

Snap's neck.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Alive and unharmed. Just requires the viewer to pay attention.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Not like, directly and cheering and poo poo that you'd get in a Marvel movie but I think we see them scamper off

You don't see them scamper off. I looked again and you see them in the distance after the neck-snap and then not again.

So they are alive, it's just a weirdly obscure way to show it especially because nobody's going to be looking at the background in that shot.

Jutsuka posted:

Alive and unharmed. Just requires the viewer to pay attention.

This is the laziest criticism. It's a badly handled part of the scene because "to pay attention" means the viewer would be looking at a muted part of the background instead of the brightly colored protagonist and the corpse falling to the floor which dominate the scene.

Edit: Also keep in mind that shot is literally less than a second long.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 12, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

We don’t, actually. We neither see nor hear them after the fact. The last we see of that family is them almost being eclipsed by Zod’s eyebeams.

There is a conspicuous puff of black smoke emanating from where they were in the long shot of Lois comforting Superman. :stonk:

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. :argh:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It makes sense that Superman wouldn't really be bothered if they died because after all he literally just murdered thousands of people in his fight with Zod (citation needed)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around just how visually illiterate someone would have to be to think the family in MoS got vaporized, rather than saved :psyduck:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ImpAtom posted:

You don't see them scamper off. I looked again and you see them in the distance after the neck-snap and then not again.

So they are alive, it's just a weirdly obscure way to show it especially because nobody's going to be looking at the background in that shot.

This is the laziest criticism. It's a badly handled part of the scene because "to pay attention" means the viewer would be looking at a muted part of the background instead of the brightly colored protagonist and the corpse falling to the floor which dominate the scene.

Edit: Also keep in mind that shot is literally less than a second long.

It's not "weirdly obscured" or "badly handled", it's just unimportant. Of course the family didn't die. The focus of the scene is on Superman because that's the important part.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around just how visually illiterate someone would have to be to think the family in MoS got vaporized, rather than saved :psyduck:

without a doubt there were subtly different versions of MOS/BVS show at certain theaters, it's the only explanation for how weird people get about them

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To be fair they could have shown them after the fact. They didn't need to cut away from Superman and could have kept focus on him, as that's the whole point of the scene but them running away in the background probably would have helped.

Then again, an alien demi-god almost vaporized them with energy beams from his eyes. They're probably still squatting there. I wonder how much money they spent on a shrink. You going to help them pay for that, Superman? No? Not my Superman!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Come on. With the benefit of repeated viewings and freeze frame, yeah, but even the people saying they did survive were iffy about the details. One moment of them crouching amidst some rubble where they’re clearly not the focus of attention? How is it strange that people who’ve only seen the movie once might miss that?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Timby posted:

A friend of mine wrote this about the issues with Guardians 2. It's an interesting read.

This has been going for a while. In the first Guardians movie, Star-Lord kills two people and tries to kill a third, not knowing who they were except that they wanted to take him with them. He did this in order to make money, and shows no hesitation or remorse. His actions are shown to be justified.

The movie presents him as a sympathetic viewpoint character

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 12, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Come on. With the benefit of repeated viewings and freeze frame, yeah, but even the people saying they did survive were iffy about the details. One moment of them crouching amidst some rubble where they’re clearly not the focus of attention? How is it strange that people who’ve only seen the movie once might miss that?

Who gives a poo poo if you see them afterwards or not? It's, like, the entire point of the scene, that he kills Zod to save them. I'm not talking about people missing a shot, I'm talking about a much more basic failure in cognition and ability to process film language.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He is part of a crew that murders tons of people in the Crucible or whatever it's called.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jutsuka posted:

Man, this guy is a real dumbass, huh?

Phylodox posted:

??????
He obviously saved them, that's the entire point of the scene. The movie does not need to have the family RUN UP TO SUPERMAN AND HUG HIM while he's screaming in order to know they are saved. This is why you get dumbass poo poo like the Russian family in Justice League or the WE HAVE TO SAVE ALL THE PEOPLE in Age of Ultron.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Who gives a poo poo if you see them afterwards or not? It's, like, the entire point of the scene, that he kills Zod to save them. I'm not talking about people missing a shot, I'm talking about a much more basic failure in cognition and ability to process film language.

I mean...Superman kills Zod, and, like that one guy said, he raises his gaze to where that family should be and screams. I didn't read it as the family being dead, but it's not unthinkable that someone might. Like that guy.

GonSmithe posted:

He obviously saved them, that's the entire point of the scene. The movie does not need to have the family RUN UP TO SUPERMAN AND HUG HIM while he's screaming in order to know they are saved. This is why you get dumbass poo poo like the Russian family in Justice League or the WE HAVE TO SAVE ALL THE PEOPLE in Age of Ultron.

Can't there be a middle ground? Somewhere between completely ignoring them and zooming in on them after the fact? Even some foley work so you can hear them existing in the background?

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 12, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Phylodox posted:

I mean...Superman kills Zod, and, like that one guy said, he raises his gaze to where that family should be and screams. I didn't read it as the family being dead, but it's not unthinkable that someone might. Like that guy.

He's screaming because he killed Zod. It's unthinkable to think someone might think that because it's hard to believe someone can be so bad at watching a movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jutsuka posted:

Hm.

Timby posted:

I typically don't like when people talk about things in movies being "earned" but this was pretty good.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He probably drank too much cough syrup.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hey guys I found this glaring editing mistake in Videodrome. Max Renn is pointing a gun to his temple and the film cuts to black just before we hear a gunshot. For all we know, he missed!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

He's screaming because he killed Zod. It's unthinkable to think someone might think that because it's hard to believe someone can be so bad at watching a movie.

Yeah, this. The weight of the moment caught up to him. He killed one of the last members of his people. It's hard to go from not throwing a punch in your life, to throwing punches against powerful beings like yourself to killing one within a span of a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

It's not "weirdly obscured" or "badly handled", it's just unimportant. Of course the family didn't die. The focus of the scene is on Superman because that's the important part.

That basically sums up a lot of the problems people have with MoS right there to be honest.

"The people Superman saved are unimportant" is basically the crux of the criticism people have with the way the direction was handled. Superman saving people is a given, the film's choice to focus on Superman over giving lip service to the lives he saved leads to people coming away with an unwanted view of the film. It's why the sequel focuses far, far, far more on that or on the people Superman saved, failed to save, and on the consequences of both.

• Locked thread