Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

it was dumb don't watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished it. Still thought it was bad.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Finished it. Still thought it was bad.
I wasn't crazy about it, but I liked the idea of making a movie about someone going to extreme lengths just to say "gently caress you" to someone. I choose to believe that Tom Ford was personally trying to send that message to someone, which would add another level to the whole "story within a story" thing.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone watched El Camino Christmas? If so, how was it?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I really should have taken a friends advice and stay away from Neo Yokio.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

the first 2 seasons of ash vs evil dead are on netflix if you are like me and never got around to watching it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

the first 2 seasons of ash vs evil dead are on netflix if you are like me and never got around to watching it.

Awesome! Just finished Dark last night and needed something new.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

thelaughingman posted:

I really should have taken a friends advice and stay away from Neo Yokio.

wrong it owns

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jaden owns.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Anyone watched El Camino Christmas? If so, how was it?

I slept through half of it while my girlfriend watched it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Neo Yokio is actually pretty good.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I watch all of Nocturnal Animals and I literally can not remember anything about it... at all. It has "nocturnal" in the title so I'm guessing alot of the movie takes place at night.

Anyway I'm going to go with my default review... It sucked.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I watch all of Nocturnal Animals and I literally can not remember anything about it... at all. It has "nocturnal" in the title so I'm guessing alot of the movie takes place at night.

Anyway I'm going to go with my default review... It sucked.

I get the feeling that they put that opening scene in the movie to troll people who saw the following words: Amy Adams, Isla Fisher, Graphic Nudity.

I got trolled

I mostly liked the movie though. I only remember one scene from it now, but that scene was good. Jake and Isla being put in a stressful situation.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 12, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Anyone know if The Force Awakens is streaming anywhere? I'd like to get a refresher before seeing The Last Jedi.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Rough Lobster posted:

Anyone know if The Force Awakens is streaming anywhere? I'd like to get a refresher before seeing The Last Jedi.

Netflix UK if you can find a VPN

Parachute
May 18, 2003
also i think you can rent it on youtube/google for like $3

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It is n the Starz app catalog in the US.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

It is n the Starz app catalog in the US.

I think Starz is also getting the JK Simmons parallel worlds thriller counterpoint next month, so hey, added value!

It's that or showtime. One of the s's.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had not heard of Neo Yokio until now, but if you gave me 3 guesses as to what it was, an anime created by the singer from Vampire Weekend starring Jaden Smith would not have been one of them.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Black Room is a sleazy little erotic horror movie/black comedy that starts out being 'so trashy it's good' but then actually manages to jump the hurdle to being 'actually rather good for trash.'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Stevie Lee posted:

I slept through half of it while my girlfriend watched it

Ben? Is that you?

I thought it was just fine. I imagine all small town cops are just that drunk/incompetent.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Looks like they re-added Hatfields and McCoys.

Pretty entertaining, with some big star power.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Watched it last night on Netflix, and Gremlins does not hold up well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

Everyone take note. This is how you write a bad opinion.

I watched it with a group on Saturday for my horror movie nights, half had seen it, half hadn't. Overall consensus: Still great. I do think the final act goes on a little long, but it's still deservedly a classic.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

10 Beers posted:

Holy poo poo wtf?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I also watched Gremlins last night on Neflix, and it still loving owns. Joe Dante is a treasure.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Gremlins needed a better script, because the one we got feels torn between multiple ideas and has some issues with subplots, but it’s still a blast, and letting Joe Dante do his thing is great. No question that the sequel is better by a pretty significant margin, though.

I watched Small Soldiers last weekend, and it’s also a blast. It doesn’t really have a target audience because it’s a movie about toys fighting each other that manages to be violent and nasty enough to get a PG-13, but it’s a lot of fun. It scratches the same itch as Gremlins 2: The New Batch, and members of The Dirty Dozen and Spinal Tap voice the toys.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
gremlins is great especially because it lead to gremlins 2 which is undoubtedly the best sequel ever made in movie history

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Gremlins script issues comes from Chris Columbus trying to be grimdark with the subject matter and Dante making it more comedic and Spielberg wanting it family-friendly. They also had to keep changing things due to technical limitations. I think they were almost halfway done filming when Spielberg decided to not turn Gizmo into Spike and to keep him good throughout.

The WTF interview with Dante is a must-listen for his fans. The Gremlins stories are awesome and crazy.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

also if somehow you haven't seen this...well you gotta. hell, they even made up KMK look like joe dante

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wasn’t the script for Gremlins written for like a 2:30 or 3-hour movie? Knowing that, you can see where some of the clunkiness comes from.

Parachute posted:

gremlins is great especially because it lead to gremlins 2 which is undoubtedly the best sequel ever made in movie history

No other movie sequel has a Gremlin drinking a potion that turns him into a spider while Slayer blares on the soundtrack, so this checks out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Also, the story behind the making of Gremlins 2: The New Batch rules. The studio immediately wanted Joe Dante to make a sequel to Gremlins after it became a smash hit, but Dante refused because the first was incredibly stressful, and he didn’t want to do a sequel just for the money. So the studio spent years trying to get various combinations of writers and directors to make a sequel, but none of them took off. Eventually they got back to Dante, and he agreed to do it on the condition that he get full creative control, and the studio agreed, which is how we got the gonzo anarchic masterpiece that is Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Also, the story behind the making of Gremlins 2: The New Batch rules. The studio immediately wanted Joe Dante to make a sequel to Gremlins after it became a smash hit, but Dante refused because the first was incredibly stressful, and he didn’t want to do a sequel just for the money. So the studio spent years trying to get various combinations of writers and directors to make a sequel, but none of them took off. Eventually they got back to Dante, and he agreed to do it on the condition that he get full creative control, and the studio agreed, which is how we got the gonzo anarchic masterpiece that is Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

joe dante - "jurassic park is going to come out and we can never use puppets again so let me make my live action self aware looney tunes movie"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
“So it’s going to look like the projector is broken in the middle of a scene and the director of Death Race 2000 is going to get Hulk Hogan to hell at the Gremlins to continue the movie. When this Home video, the VHS will break and John Wayne will threaten the Gremlins to start the movie. And you better believe we’re going to make that happen for the novel too” - Joe Dante

Parachute
May 18, 2003
mister, welcome to the men's room

code:
" we're getting christopher lee cast as the mad scientist i don't care what the budget is for casting 
we will hock WB merch before, after, and during the movie if we have to" - jd 
hey pal, i sure hope you washed those hands

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I just watched Gremlins about 6? months ago with my wife who never saw it, and she really enjoyed it. She thought the mogwai were suitably cute and the movie is fun overall.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Gremlins script issues comes from Chris Columbus trying to be grimdark with the subject matter and Dante making it more comedic and Spielberg wanting it family-friendly. They also had to keep changing things due to technical limitations. I think they were almost halfway done filming when Spielberg decided to not turn Gizmo into Spike and to keep him good throughout.

The WTF interview with Dante is a must-listen for his fans. The Gremlins stories are awesome and crazy.

I'll have to dig up that interview, but everyone in CD owes it to themselves to watch Gremlins with the audio commentary. If you don't already have it on DVD or Blu, that's just shameful.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Holy poo poo wtf?

My bad. In all fairness, I was mostly referring to some of the effects. I still love the inventor father.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Franchescanado posted:

Huh I always kind of assumed the sentimentalism was Chris Columbus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
chris columbus is all about christmas-time home invasions and the kid-friendly violence that ensues