Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

wool like that will end up felting itself whenever you get it wet or wash it, so i think you either need to actually make it more yarn-y or learn to enjoy a giant matted mess :(

the blankets look really neat but it's not as simple as it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

What if you spray it with scotchguard first

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

What if you spray it with scotchguard first

Does this work for STD protection too?

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Goons please stop filling your homes with garbage

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Does this work for STD protection too?

No complaints so far

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

The Snoo posted:

wool like that will end up felting itself whenever you get it wet or wash it, so i think you either need to actually make it more yarn-y or learn to enjoy a giant matted mess :(

It's acrylic, it'll just feel like soap on the hands.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

cannot pake posted:

Goons please stop filling your homes with garbage

the only garbage in my home, is me.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Want a fetus mold, though?

How big are the resulting fetuses? These might make some pretty awesome slingshot ammo...

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
Incidentally, aliexpress has some cheapass slingshots that are pretty fun. The wife wasn't nearly as amused as I was using mine to launch veggie trimmings out the kitchen window in the general direction of the compost heap for some reason though. I even offered her a go. Spoilsport.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Duh Ugh posted:

Incidentally, aliexpress has some cheapass slingshots that are pretty fun. The wife wasn't nearly as amused as I was using mine to launch veggie trimmings out the kitchen window in the general direction of the compost heap for some reason though. I even offered her a go. Spoilsport.

Sweet! I could use one to launch hot dog chunks at my neighbor's vegan dog.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

vegan dog.

Argh death to America

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

value-brand cereal posted:

Also if you ever wanted to make those bigass knitted wool blankets, here's about 124 feet of already dyed wool yarn/batting stuff. I'm seriously tempted just to have a gently caress off huge blankie :3: Lookit that white bitch clutching it like it's Kylo loving Ren and only she could cure his greasy emo-ness. Oh my god. And there's so many colors you could make a goddamn Pride blanket out of them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/kni...2792903751.html

Thanks so much for this link, I know someone who will love this!

Per the listing:

Yarn Dudes posted:

Because the recent appear fraud,Deliberately put the yarn break,

And tear the wool,This belong to serious fraud.

In China belongs to the serious crimes,

I'll use law to punish cheats.And will use legal complaint liar.

Resolutely won't compromise with a liar.
Liar, please cherish yourself,Don't be a crime.thank you.

The last line resonates with me and makes me think of my ex :ohdear:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

my neighbor's vegan dog.

This is willful animal cruelty. I don't give a crap if people want to be vegan but that dog needs animal protein. I would contribute a dollar to the slingshot hotdog fund.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Holy poo poo this is cool, I might just take the plunge on these. I've been in a baking frenzy lately and I now realize my baked goods have been missing nice, clean edges. :spergin:

Hell yeah! May your cakes be edgy as gently caress and Instagram ready, hashtag no filters! Or in other weird shapes since that seller has a bunch them in best forms. I bet you can make ice cubes out of the smaller ones, and have futuristic drinks like a real live star trek!

Hug in a Can posted:

I'm so excited! I've always wanted bulky yarn but I could never justify the price! Thank you so much for the link! :neckbeard:

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Thanks so much for this link, I know someone who will love this!

Per the listing:

The last line resonates with me and makes me think of my ex :ohdear:

Your both super welcome! I hope y'all have fun making blankies or big ol ' scarves and stuff when it finally arrives! And same, I always wanted those huge yarn blankets on etsy, but.... you know. Not necessarily for 1,000 had and stuff. Plus I can pick my own colours and not have to spend extra for a custom one!

I've no idea what Yarn Dude is going on about. Maybe they're talking about resellers ?

The Snoo posted:

Pfft look at this poor person who can't afford dry cleaning. :huge smuggo face: but no, if it's will you have to dry clean it. It's expensive as gently caress for a huge blanket. My big wool Pendleton blankets cost a few hundred to clean, and those are about queen mattress sized.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've never made one of those blankets, but I've seen responses to diy videos of it. they do look really nice and I wish everyone luck with the material and I hope it's not fiberglass 👌

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

I've no idea what Yarn Dude is going on about. Maybe they're talking about resellers ?

Thinking about it more with my broken-English translation skills, I'm wondering if they've had a run of people cutting the yarn and asking for a refund because it wasn't contiguous? This would certainly explain:

"Liar, please cherish yourself,Don't be a crime.thank you."
Gay Weed Dad 1989 - 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tater_salad posted:

I'm weary of buying things related to food direct from China.

It's exhausting, isn't it? :newlol:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

This is willful animal cruelty. I don't give a crap if people want to be vegan but that dog needs animal protein. I would contribute a dollar to the slingshot hotdog fund.

Even worse, they're also ~horse people~

I hate the lot of them, and their poor sheep dog barks and howls all night BC they keep it in an outdoor kennel all the time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's exhausting, isn't it? :newlol:

You know what I mean

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
A lot of the stuff on aliexpress is exactly (and I mean 100%) exactly the same stuff I can buy locally. (just locally it's sometimes a lot more expensive) It really is the same stuff. If It's bad for your health then the stuff here is too. This worry belongs largely (admittedly- not as completely) in the same drawer as "aliexpress is gonna steal your credit card!1!". Face it, this kind of manufacturing just doesn't happen in the western world anymore. We're doomed, might as well enjoy our cheap trinkets before we all get our mandatory work assignment in the chinese sulfur mines. I don't know how it is for my fellow americans but the savings are immense for me as an european. I also figured out that ePacket only takes about two weeks (sometimes one) from China to Germany on average and always take it now when I order something. No idea how it has gotten that fast either. Sometimes you have stuff disappearing for a month but that's mostly a customs thing.

I recently got some cheap shoes from aliexpress too. I'm an old so I don't care about wearing expensive stuff so I got a pair of cheap winter boots from there for 15€, if they survive this winter (and it seems like they do) they were a bargain. I saw exactly the same shoes offered on local amazon for 27€. (Protip: read the local reviews) They fit like a glove and have nice wool lining. Then again we don't get very harsh winters here so take that as you will. They also have some decent screw bit sets if you are a computer toucher that are cheap enough that you can just throw em away if you lose a few bits or damage them. Don't have links right now, sorry, but it's worth a look!

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 12, 2017

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah my girlfriend bought some printed socks off Amazon and they showed up the same day as some AliExpress stuff I bought. They had essentially the same Chinese shipping label on them. It seems to be like the exact same poo poo I could buy locally as well, it's all made in the same place anyway and I don't really think too many importers are taking a cut to their profits to test the items if they're just bullshit trinkets.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Police Automaton posted:

A lot of the stuff on aliexpress is exactly (and I mean 100%) exactly the same stuff I can buy locally. (just locally it's sometimes a lot more expensive) It really is the same stuff. If It's bad for your health then the stuff here is too.

One of my local dollar stores got busted for selling dangerous kids toys and other stuff.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Rad-daddio posted:

Sweet! I could use one to launch hot dog chunks at my neighbor's vegan dog.

This is the one I bought, $4. You owe it to thr poor doggo to save it from its terrible owners.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Also if you ever wanted to make those bigass knitted wool blankets, here's about 124 feet of already dyed wool yarn/batting stuff. I'm seriously tempted just to have a gently caress off huge blankie :3: Lookit that white bitch clutching it like it's Kylo loving Ren and only she could cure his greasy emo-ness. Oh my god. And there's so many colors you could make a goddamn Pride blanket out of them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/kni...2792903751.html

I have no idea what I'd do with this wool since I don't knit but I really want it. It looks so cozy.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I just found out that food bowls with phone stands is a thing.

http://s.aliexpress.com/nm677RrI

http://s.aliexpress.com/3i6bAjMJ

http://s.aliexpress.com/BNJFv2ia

http://s.aliexpress.com/nUNbeaEr

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i need the one for sunflower seeds so bad lmao

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Ordered a couple phone bowls.

Not as gifts, not as a joke, but because I will unironicly use them every loving day to watch Netflix while eating mac and cheese.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No TV? Work lunch? Not really seeing a use case for myself so I'm wondering what your situation is.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

neet or winewife

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Me: “do you want one of these for Christmas?”

partner: “no”

Me: “it looks like the greatest idea ever!”

partner: “it looks like a good way to drop your phone in soup”

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maybe if you are spastic and strike your bowl hard enough to topple it over the lip

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

PokeJoe posted:

No TV? Work lunch? Not really seeing a use case for myself so I'm wondering what your situation is.

You called it with work lunch. I have a tv too but rarely get a chance to eat in front of it anymore.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Want a fetus mold, though?

I bought a baby mold earlier this year and made gummi babies. They were disturbingly detailed:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I was always wondering what a jelly baby was.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Police Automaton posted:

A lot of the stuff on aliexpress is exactly (and I mean 100%) exactly the same stuff I can buy locally. (just locally it's sometimes a lot more expensive) It really is the same stuff. If It's bad for your health then the stuff here is too. This worry belongs largely (admittedly- not as completely) in the same drawer as "aliexpress is gonna steal your credit card!1!". Face it, this kind of manufacturing just doesn't happen in the western world anymore. We're doomed, might as well enjoy our cheap trinkets before we all get our mandatory work assignment in the chinese sulfur mines. I don't know how it is for my fellow americans but the savings are immense for me as an european. I also figured out that ePacket only takes about two weeks (sometimes one) from China to Germany on average and always take it now when I order something. No idea how it has gotten that fast either. Sometimes you have stuff disappearing for a month but that's mostly a customs thing.

I recently got some cheap shoes from aliexpress too. I'm an old so I don't care about wearing expensive stuff so I got a pair of cheap winter boots from there for 15€, if they survive this winter (and it seems like they do) they were a bargain. I saw exactly the same shoes offered on local amazon for 27€. (Protip: read the local reviews) They fit like a glove and have nice wool lining. Then again we don't get very harsh winters here so take that as you will. They also have some decent screw bit sets if you are a computer toucher that are cheap enough that you can just throw em away if you lose a few bits or damage them. Don't have links right now, sorry, but it's worth a look!

I read all your posts about old computers, and your writing style is really good for that. It's not good for posting about shopping on AliExpress.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I can’t wait to make disturbing foetus cupcakes. Thanks thread! In return, here’s a penis cake mould with really unappetising examples.

Woden posted:

One of my local dollar stores got busted for selling dangerous kids toys and other stuff.

These dumbdumb parents actually gave their kid a toy bought from Wish and then went to the papers when the kid wrapped the wires round their neck. Maaaaaybe don’t give your kid crap toys from the internet. It’s probably filled with asbestos.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

evobatman posted:

I read all your posts about old computers, and your writing style is really good for that. It's not good for posting about shopping on AliExpress.

Thanks but it's how I write I guess, I'm a bit verbose. :v: I hope it's not bothering people too much.

For kids there are different rules. They chew on things for example.

I bought one of those eachine mini drones for 18€
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Eachine-E60-Mini-for-Pocket-Drone-With-Camera-Headless-Mode-2-4G-6-Axis/32818178337.html

It was more of an impulse buy because I always wanted to play around with one but don't want to get too invested with going outside and stuff. Most of the fun drones are very limited in the ways you're allowed to use them here, because I guess the government worries somebody gets the bright idea to strap explosives to one and fly it into something.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BT168D-Digital-Battery-Tester-Checker-for-1-5V-and-AA-AAA-Cell-BT-168D/32764568310.html

These battery testers are ok too for the price. You'll find lots of bad reviews on youtube and aliexpress about them because they show a lower voltage than multimeters do. That's the entire point of a battery tester. If you measure a battery with a multimeter you only have the internal resistance of the battery and that's not enough load for the battery. A battery measured like that will always show a higher voltage and it's not indicative of in what condition the cells are in. Battery testers have a dummy load (very cheap ones have literally only a few resistors in the case) and if battery cells are empty the voltage collapses under load and for example your remote control stops working or only works intermittently. Multimeters are not good for measuring if a battery is empty or not, you want a battery tester. I'd go for one with a digital display, they mostly have an integrated solution for measuring and there's less margin for error there. Ideally if you want to be accurate you want a battery tester that has it's own battery but it's not strictly necessary, something like the one above is good enough for your run-off-the-mill cheap supermarket alkalines.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
Speaking of measuring tools. I just got my $12 IR Pyrometer. I haven't had a chance to test it against any of the <$50 pyrometers my coworkers have. Kinda curious just how inaccurate it'll turn out to be.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Police Automaton posted:

Thanks but it's how I write I guess, I'm a bit verbose. :v: I hope it's not bothering people too much.

For kids there are different rules. They chew on things for example.

I bought one of those eachine mini drones for 18€
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Eachine-E60-Mini-for-Pocket-Drone-With-Camera-Headless-Mode-2-4G-6-Axis/32818178337.html

It was more of an impulse buy because I always wanted to play around with one but don't want to get too invested with going outside and stuff. Most of the fun drones are very limited in the ways you're allowed to use them here, because I guess the government worries somebody gets the bright idea to strap explosives to one and fly it into something.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BT168D-Digital-Battery-Tester-Checker-for-1-5V-and-AA-AAA-Cell-BT-168D/32764568310.html

These battery testers are ok too for the price. You'll find lots of bad reviews on youtube and aliexpress about them because they show a lower voltage than multimeters do. That's the entire point of a battery tester. If you measure a battery with a multimeter you only have the internal resistance of the battery and that's not enough load for the battery. A battery measured like that will always show a higher voltage and it's not indicative of in what condition the cells are in. Battery testers have a dummy load (very cheap ones have literally only a few resistors in the case) and if battery cells are empty the voltage collapses under load and for example your remote control stops working or only works intermittently. Multimeters are not good for measuring if a battery is empty or not, you want a battery tester. I'd go for one with a digital display, they mostly have an integrated solution for measuring and there's less margin for error there. Ideally if you want to be accurate you want a battery tester that has it's own battery but it's not strictly necessary, something like the one above is good enough for your run-off-the-mill cheap supermarket alkalines.

Your writing is perfect. Don't change a thing!

You were spot on with regard to the quality of Aliexpress goods. Read reviews, and if a deal seems too good to be true even for Aliexpress then it probably is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Duh Ugh posted:

This is the one I bought, $4. You owe it to thr poor doggo to save it from its terrible owners.

I've been sneaking home made beef jerky to him through the fence. The slingshot would help me get meats into the back part of their yard where they don't ever go. 4 bucks is a steal.