Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Takes hotter than the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My prediction: Moore will win by 0.2% above the threshold to necessary to ensure a recount is not triggered

why would you say this you monster

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

NYTimes has the needles of doom posted.

OPEN THE BLOODGATES

Oh God, Jones is at 0% Everywhere! :Arzy: :siren:

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You already tried the huggy bear schtick on me and it didn't work then either. And stop loving lying you steaming pile of dogshit. You didn't say "maybe we should stop calling people dicks" in a vacuum, you disingenuously equated it with calling women cunts, and then people schooled you on how ignorant and transparently misogyny-motivated that was, while you unleashed steaming coils of bullshit all over the thread.

And then JUST TODAY you whipped out some antediluvian misogyny about Huckabee Sanders because the worst thing your bigotry-addled mind can think to say about a woman presently engaged in dismantling our democracy is that she might not be submissive to her husband enough.

You are a loving oil slick polluting the sea of humanity and I will remind you of that fact every day until you loving die. Go to hell.

take a deep breath

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

pepito sanchez posted:

it's just so weird. here in uruguay, every citizen is required to vote for president, on a weekend, or pay a fine. it's very simple stuff. our entire constitution and government is modeled after USA's.

it's also probably why we still have a strong five or so parties. easy to say with a population of ~3mil. i suppose.

Serious question: Do they shut stuff down and people know to like, grocery shop the day before? Or do they overstaff everywhere so people can leave to go vote?

I've always wondered the logistics of things like that. Like in the US even gas stations and some restaurants are open on like, christmas day and other days people are all expected to "have off". I can't imagine a completely shut down day annually.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Roy Moore has completely depressed Republican turnout but unfortunately bland centrist Doug Jones has been unable to motivate voters. We report that Nick Saban has won with 1 vote.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hanales posted:

Serious question: Do they shut stuff down and people know to like, grocery shop the day before? Or do they overstaff everywhere so people can leave to go vote?

I've always wondered the logistics of things like that. Like in the US even gas stations and some restaurants are open on like, christmas day and other days people are all expected to "have off". I can't imagine a completely shut down day annually.

They do neither. It is technically illegal for your employer to schedule in such a way that you literally cannot make it to the polls but lol if you think that stops anyone.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Javes posted:

None if the turtle has anything to say about it.

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/940689768656113666

DId someone see some exit polls with a result they don't care for? Or just hedging their bets?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

theflyingorc posted:

It's legitimately weird that he doesn't get that a normal person would have said "Imagine having to sit around the Thanksgiving table with her" or something similar, implying familial obligation without all the weird baggage that comes from jumping straight towards marriage

"Imagine being her friend", even. She's extremely unpleasant down to her soul

A normal person would have just left it go instead of derailing and trying to find meaning in things that weren't there.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BootStrap posted:

I also had to look up "democracy sausage". I thought it was another name for gloryhole. :bahgawd:

It is a type of sandwich.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Ripoff posted:

“Let the people of Alabama speak and decide through their votes... unless, that is, they vote for something we don’t like in which case lol gently caress ‘em, democracy was a mistake.” - Senator Turtle

Edit:

This is gonna be the best trip or the worst. We’re gonna wake up on a beautiful coastline with wonderful patchy memories or in a sex dungeon run by a gimp named “Mr. Fister”. Hold on to your asses, kids.

As much of a piece of sweltering garbage McConnell is, I don't think this is a fair criticism. Per the article she's quoting:

"The Alabama secretary of State will have to certify the election results before the winner can be sworn in, a process that was already expected to take weeks."

The senate is off for the holidays starting like next week.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

treerat posted:

take a deep breath

Nah, TB's right.

Your Taint posted:

So reducing women to a crude vagina is not ok, but reducing men to a crude penis is. Got it.

(For the record both are bad)

Your Taint posted:

Just by definition if it's a slur it's bad.

Not saying I'm offended by being called a dick. But to say "this slur is is ok for reasons but this slur isn't" is disengenuous.

This goes for everyone everywhere: if it's ok for you to do it to someone, then it's ok for them to do it to you. Period.

Is dumb poo poo coming from some one that doesn't actually understand why people take issue with "oval office" and "pussy" as insults.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mantis42 posted:

Oh God, Jones is at 0% Everywhere! :Arzy: :siren:

Voter suppression has worked far better than anyone expected

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Javes posted:

None if the turtle has anything to say about it.

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/940689768656113666

Is that actually compatible with the XVIIth amendment?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Taint posted:

Yes, just today I said I felt sorry for her husband because she is so unpleasant. I'm so terrible.

Some creative prose in there. 8/10 would read again.

Yes that would be the sexism, you goddamn loving moron. Your rolling with the punches act isn't fooling anybody. Lift up your gutflap and root around for that grimy cashew you call a dick instead of making GBS threads up this thread any further.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Your Taint posted:

A normal person would have just left it go instead of derailing and trying to find meaning in things that weren't there.

Dude I legitimately cannot stand TB and she's absolutely, totally right and you need to shut up

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Roy Moore has completely depressed Republican turnout but unfortunately bland centrist Doug Jones has been unable to motivate voters. We report that Nick Saban has won with 1 vote.

he got critical support from the underreported on "thought saban was the guy who invented power rangers" demo.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Completely off topic but KM I've read bits and pieces about your work situation itt. If you're ever back in LA and looking for set PA or production office work please send me a PM.

Back on topic though, KM is right about the industry knowing about all these guys before any of it blew up. Everyone knew not to get involved with those guys.

That being said, a lot of those same rumor mills trade in fake/exaggerated info too. Rose McGowan herself, for example, has been the subject of some pretty heinous, mysoginistic, and blatantly false conversations I've heard.

Was there chatter about spacey? I'm nowhere near the scene but it seemed like a lot of industry people were surprised.

(Disclaimer: I'm not claiming Mummy Xzibit is wrong, I'm just interested to hear more about what was known about him. Please don't jump up my rear end, TFO)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Your Taint posted:

A normal person would have also apologized for causing offense, maybe rephrased or clarified what they meant, and moved on. And yet here you are.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hanales posted:

We have the same thing in Australia and there are pre-polling stations open for a couple of weeks beforehand. In theory you are only meant to use them if you can't get to a polling place on election day, but they don't police it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Thank you! yeah, I'm trying to save up to relocate. gently caress Michigan.

But you're absolutely right about Rose, etc. It's a double edged sword. Take everything with a grain of salt. The only person I lean towards trusting is Lainey.

Oh my god I love Lainey. She's the only gossip site my wife still reads after getting into them in College.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I voted. No longer where I was but this location has never had a line. Nice black ladies were running the sign in and there were like 40 booths you could vote at and people quickly coming in and out. Doug Jones signs all over the place 30ft from the location. Feeling good.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Your Taint posted:

I don't think I've actually voted on election day since 2004. I'm fortunate enough to be able to walk 5 minutes to City Hall and cast an early ballot there.

is mail in vote not a thing in every state?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crow Jane posted:

A normal person would have also apologized for causing offense, maybe rephrased or clarified what they meant, and moved on. And yet here you are.

I clarified what I meant many times directly. People wish to draw their own conclusions even though I've said things directly in my defense. That's their problem, not mine.

I'm not the one who keeps bringing this up. This current derail was triggered by a person saying maybe I"m not the best person to jump in and defend someone on whatever it was and then I said I don't care and the flood gates opened. But don't let that fact get in the way.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

canepazzo posted:

DId someone see some exit polls with a result they don't care for? Or just hedging their bets?

Probably just hedging. Strange will vote reliably for the tax bill and whatever other horrendous poo poo the same as Moore would, so may as well just refuse to seat whoever on the chance that Jones wins.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

canepazzo posted:

He doesn't particularly want to have to bribe Roy Moore with abolishing the age of consent or mounting a burning cross behind the Senate podium, never mind lose a vote to the Dems entirely.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ig55 posted:

As much of a piece of sweltering garbage McConnell is, I don't think this is a fair criticism. Per the article she's quoting:

"The Alabama secretary of State will have to certify the election results before the winner can be sworn in, a process that was already expected to take weeks."

The senate is off for the holidays starting like next week.

Nah. Given the fact that the turtle was all about holding up Merrick Garland for a year because he claimed traditional process wouldn't serve the voice of the American people, I think it's pretty fair to say that the jerk only observes norms when they directly suit him. The voice of the American people should prevent Strange from casting a vote for either Jones or Moore by McConnell's logic, but of course, that isn't expedient towards today's objective so yesterday's arguments are loooong forgotten.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Your Taint posted:

I clarified what I meant many times directly. People wish to draw their own conclusions even though I've said things directly in my defense. That's their problem, not mine.

:siren:you can do things that reinforce negative stereotypes without intending to:siren:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Katt posted:

Cat post for all the snipes that failed to provide.

Truly the most metal of cats. :black101:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Taint posted:

No, you LIED several times. At no point have you displayed even a glimmer of understanding that what you said was wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Katt posted:

Cat post for all the snipes that failed to provide.

A lot of Nazis are being lionized these days.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dbukalski posted:

Absolutely not.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lobok posted:

A lot of Nazis are being lionized these days.

Best post by far today.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Yes that would be the sexism, you goddamn loving moron. Your rolling with the punches act isn't fooling anybody. Lift up your gutflap and root around for that grimy cashew you call a dick instead of making GBS threads up this thread any further.

So criticising a woman is sexist. Got it. Thank you for educating me, TB, noted scholar of all things sexist and not sexist.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

dbukalski posted:

34 states allow you to mail in voting with no excuse, Alabama is not one of them

https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_in_Alabama#cite_note-electionswebsite-13

quote:

A voter is eligible to vote absentee in an election if he or she cannot make it to the polls on Election Day for one of the following reasons:[13]

The voter will be absent from the county on Election Day.
The voter is ill or has a disability that prevents a trip to the polling place.
The voter is a registered voter living outside the county, such as a member of the armed forces, a voter employed outside the United States, a college student, or a spouse or child of such a person.
The voter is an appointed election officer or poll watcher at a polling place other than his or her regular polling place.
The voter works a required shift of 10 hours or more that coincides with polling hours.
The voter is required by an employer under unforeseen circumstances to be out of the county on Election Day for an emergency business trip.
The voter has a medical emergency requiring treatment from a licensed physician.

The absentee ballot application must be received at least five days prior to the election. The ballot must then be returned either in person by close of business the day before the election or by mail. If returned by mail, the ballot must be postmarked no later than the day before the election and received by the election manager by noon on Election Day

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

deleted

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 12, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

No, you LIED several times. At no point have you displayed even a glimmer of understanding that what you said was wrong.

:) Ok.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Your Taint posted:

So criticising a woman is sexist. Got it. Thank you for educating me, TB, noted scholar of all things sexist and not sexist.

Dude, please, just stop.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crow Jane posted:

Dude, please, just stop.

I'll stop when everyone else does. Deal? Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

hanales posted:

No and no. It's a regular day at most businesses. Most states (including Alabama) have some form of law requiring at least some time off to vote, but restrictions vary state to state. Some states don't have laws about it at all.

In Alabama an employer must give you one hour to go vote if polls are not open at least two hours before your shift starts or one hour after it ends. Employees must give notice they need to vote. This is not a paid break.

• Locked thread