Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Bit of a waste of a metal loving image of Lead Cenobite Juckner, and Female Cenobite sounds too catholic torture-person Foster on a...not even a pun on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 7, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump and Jerusalem – Donald Trump has defied overwhelming global opposition by declaring US recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, but insisted that the highly controversial move would not derail his own administration’s bid to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict"

Telegraph:

Christine Keeler obituary: the woman at the heart of the Profumo affair

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Writer 'tricks' TripAdvisor into making his Dulwich shed number one ranked restaurant in London

Mail:
Mac on...Donald Trump's recognition of Jerusalem

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Brexit and 'regulatory alignment' – A pressure group linked to the former Vote Leave campaign has warned Theresa May that signing up to regulatory alignment with the EU to solve the Irish border problem will not allow Britain to ‘take back control’ from Brussels"

Telegraph:

Jeremy Corbyn-backing Momentum campaign faces fines and possible criminal investigation if found to have breached spending rules at general election

Independent:

Times:

HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royals attend aircraft carrier ceremony

Evening Standard:

'Sufficient progress' in Brexit talks announced after May's dash to Brussels

Mail:
Mac on... the over-inflated wages of University chiefs

'I want an intensive course on how to become a university vice-chancellor.'

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really like what they did with the hair.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Perspective isn't Brookes' strong point in that Times one, is it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Perspective isn't Brookes' strong point in that Times one, is it.

She's a league away from the ship throwing the bottle into empty air and it still sinks?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is it really an aircraft carrier when it doesn't have any compatible planes yet, having been built specifically for the f35 :eng99:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the breakthrough Brexit deal – Theresa May’s ‘hard won’ deal with Brussels to widen the Brexit negotiations has been publicly praised by all sides of her divided party"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Caspar David Friedrich

Times:

Gerald Scarfe:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"A treacherous Brexit climb lies ahead - Chris Riddell on Theresa May’s EU divorce deal announcement"

Sunday Telegraph:

The Crown: season two review – the one with all the shagging … and Suez

Independent on Sunday:

Michael Gove: voters can change EU deal if they don't like it

Sunday Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the breakthrough in Brexit negotiations – David Davis has said the chances of Britain crashing out of the EU without a trade deal have dropped dramatically as a result of last week’s breakthrough on the principles of a Brexit divorce agreement" Also :derp: SNOW!!! :derp:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Labour backs 'easy movement' of EU workers after Brexit, says Keir Starmer

Evening Standard:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Britain's special partnership with the EU – PM’s hopes of securing a unique post-Brexit trade deal with the EU have come under threat from international pressure to deny Britain special treatment"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Charles Addams.

Times:

'I don't have to be very clever to do my job', says Brexit Secretary David Davis

Evening Standard:

Donald Trump signs directive to send astronauts back to Moon

Mail:
Mac on... gender survey for 10-year-olds

David Squires:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mac’s incredibly accurate depiction of a 10 year old boy. Famously muscled, they are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mac's not seen a child since 1987.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That makes Mac a lot better than some other right wingers.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump and harassment claims – Donald Trump claimed on Tuesday that the harassment accusations against him were a Democratic conspiracy as he lashed out at a female Democratic senator with what she quickly dubbed a ‘sexist smear’"

Telegraph:

'Yay, porgs!' – critics' verdicts on Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Independent:

Huge, mysterious object flying past Earth might be an alien spacecraft, scientists say

Times:

Gove: boost aid cash in fight against ocean plastic

Evening Standard:

Mail:
Mac on... NHS vouchers for breastfeeding mothers

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress off, Mac

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Dabir posted:

gently caress off, Mac

With a new year around the corner, what are people's thoughts about banishing Mac from the thread? It feels like they are getting ever worse, they are never funny and make everyone angry. Thread would be better off without them IMO.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GTO posted:

With a new year around the corner, what are people's thoughts about banishing Mac from the thread? It feels like they are getting ever worse, they are never funny and make everyone angry. Thread would be better off without them IMO.

We should let him stay, at least Mac tries his best to imitate this Human art called "making cartoons". Not bad for an alien from a dumbass species known for blowing up McDonald's and throwing kids in wheelchairs over cliffs.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

Evening Standard:

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've seen a Five Things Happened.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's only two things really, Trump and the star war. The other bits are just like any other over-labelled cartoon.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goatface posted:

Mac's not seen a child since 1987.

I love how Mac can't even avoid getting a bit of classism in there - the broken down cars, the pram in the snow and the bottles just inside the door.

^ I think we should keep Mac. He's loving awful, but helps remind us of the kind of commentators (and readers) out there - retreating into a bubble is never a good thing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Yeah, a while back the thread was just Bell and Rowson and while I'm sad we can no longer pretend we are the land of No Bad Cartoons it's far better to have the terrible people to make fun of. I actually miss Paul Thomas' godawful political scribbles.

And Gender Survey Kid is just mad they apparently only asked 'GIRL OR BOY?' rather than allowing options for non-binary gender identities and those who are questioning. Mac has very strong views on inclusive survey methodology.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

We should keep Mac so that when the auld oval office finally kicks the bucket the rage he induces will be fresher so we can enjoy his demise more.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Satan's own live for a very long time though. Look at the royals :/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We definitely need a :mac: emote though, should all chip in to get one made. Have the racist tribal mask wobbling back and forth with 'gently caress off' written in the Mail logo font next to it. Good for all situations involving garbo racists, not just cartoons!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just make the title "gently caress off mac"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2nding this for 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I'm for keeping Mac; without the occasional cries of "gently caress off, Mac!" this thread would be extremely quiet.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Theresa May's Brexit defeat – Theresa May’s government has suffered a humiliating defeat after MPs backed an amendment to her flagship Brexit bill"

Telegraph:

Alabama election: Democrats triumph over Roy Moore in major blow to Trump

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Guardian Australian Sport:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OK, I’m going to have to show my ignorance: is there a specific meaning behind the harlequin outfit May is always dressed in? I feel like I’m not getting the full joke.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably a "clown running a circus" cartoon 6 months ago that he's just running with.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Mac appeals to my masochism and I enjoy seeing just how bad he can get

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

I think we should keep Mac. He's loving awful, but helps remind us of the kind of commentators (and readers) out there - retreating into a bubble is never a good thing.

Seconding this.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

TACD posted:

OK, I’m going to have to show my ignorance: is there a specific meaning behind the harlequin outfit May is always dressed in? I feel like I’m not getting the full joke.

Bell came up with it around a year ago when there was a phase of "killer clown sightings!" in a few places, and it seems to have stuck. I mean, that government. What a bunch of clowns!

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Without Mac we would never fit Rowson or Bell into their proper context

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cloud Potato posted:

Bell came up with it around a year ago when there was a phase of "killer clown sightings!" in a few places, and it seems to have stuck. I mean, that government. What a bunch of clowns!
Fair enough; it was persistent enough I thought there might also be some cutting historical reference or other as well.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Theresa May’s Brexit rebels – Prime minister seeks to reassure EU leaders she is still in charge after her government suffers its first parliamentary defeat on Brexit"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Vladimir Putin says it's 'not my job' to create rivals for his 2018 election bid, as he hosts annual press conference
Bonus! Morland's done a Christmas special of his animated cartoons, and it's not hidden behind the Times paywall. Click here for the video!

Evening Standard:

'Youthquake' named 2017 word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Seeing those political cartoonist awards photos, it suddenly struck me? Are there any (paid and published) femaled political cartoonists? Like, anywhere at all? It seems like the last bastion of the boys club in legacy media.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's Ann Telnaes in the US who is one of their best cartoonists imo, but I don't know of any over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Nicola Jennings pops up in the guardian every now and then, top of the last page for instance.