Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

suuma posted:

So uh, did the yellow team win or what, somebody explain curling to me.

Granite archery on ice where you are allowed to knock other arrows off the target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

suuma posted:

So uh, did the yellow team win or what, somebody explain curling to me.

It's hard to tell if that was the last shot of that end (and end being like an inning/period) or not, but the skill required to hit the first rock that perfectly to make the others complete the take-out of the last rock is world-class. Note that the sweepers also help "curl" the rock to the right spot as well - hence how it's a team game. If that was the last shot of that end (inning/period), the yellow rock that stayed in that spot scores a point for that team. They did this by using a bunch of rocks from both teams to complete that shot.

Just lay out a bunch of coins on a table in a similar layout, and imagine flicking one perfectly to hit all the others to make the last one fall off the table at the end (and keep the last coin to hit it stay in that spot).

Curling is still pretty big up in Canada, and now they can make money professionally as there's a tournament circuit. It used to be they all had day jobs, and did this in off hours.

Kragger99 has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Dec 12, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
So, like bumper pool for yetis?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Curling --not hockey-- is Canada's official national sport.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

My wife and I were sitting in a bar in Niagara Falls, ON watching this during a big rear end lake effect snow storm. It was from the last Winter Olympics. We were amazed, and totally into it rooting for whatever team we thought looked coolest. There was something very romantical about getting drunk in a bar in Canada, during a snowstorm, and rooting for a team in a sport you know nothing about. To me, it looks like Bocci ball, played with giant rocks, with brooms, on ice. Now, how cool is that?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lincoln posted:

Curling --not hockey-- is Canada's official national sport.

Nope, it's Hockey for winter and Lacrosse for summer.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/n-16.7/page-1.html

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

blarzgh posted:

So, like bumper pool for yetis?

Shuffleboard on ice.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

"did the team that hit a loving triple bank shot win????", goons

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

sandoz posted:

"did the team that hit a loving triple bank shot win????", goons
ha ha, yeah fuckin goons how do you not know the rules for this sport no one's heard of outside canada, you fuckin nerd losers

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

ha ha, yeah fuckin goons how do you not know the rules for this sport no one's heard of outside canada, you fuckin nerd losers

--can't figure out what a 12 ft bullseye means-- a goon

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, curling isn't exactly like scoring cricket or something. It's a huge loving bullseye and one coloured thing knocked the other coloured things out of the rings entirely and settled in the middle of the bullseye. That' pretty intuitively some sort of a good outcome.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, curling isn't exactly like scoring cricket or something. It's a huge loving bullseye and one coloured thing knocked the other coloured things out of the rings entirely and settled in the middle of the bullseye. That' pretty intuitively some sort of a good outcome.

It's basically just horseshoes on ice

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yawgmoth posted:

It's an olympic sport.

I always compare it to bowls on ice.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Curling is reaaallly not that complicated.

You take turns throwing your eight rocks at the target.
If at the end your rock is closest to the middle, you get a point for every rock you have sitting there that is closer than the opponent's closest rock. The opponent gets nothing.
Switch who goes first every round, play like 10 rounds.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

that's also basically the best possible shot in curling

like, has there ever been a better one?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Poulpe posted:

Curling is reaaallly not that complicated.

You take turns throwing your eight rocks at the target.
If at the end your rock is closest to the middle, you get a point for every rock you have sitting there that is closer than the opponent's closest rock. The opponent gets nothing.
Switch who goes first every round, play like 10 rounds.

But you don't switch if no points are scored, so there is strategy around blanking an end to keep the chance the throw the last rock. Having the last rock is also called having 'The Hammer'.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

sandoz posted:

that's also basically the best possible shot in curling

like, has there ever been a better one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM5mFH3_Qhs

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'd love to take up that sport but I don't have enough space for a squat rack :sigh:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Nice. So, just to summarize - she was down by 2 with the last rock of the last end (essentially the last throw of the game). She hit off one of the opponents rocks - and because that rock then hit the wall on the side, it's "dead", and then rolled to take out the opponent's rock to score 3 points, and win it all.
What's even more impressive is that late in the game, the sides of the ice can frost up a bit, making normally easy shots that much harder.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So was that a good shot? I can't tell.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

So was that a good shot? I can't tell.

Her team is yelling a lot at her so I think she missed

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://i.imgur.com/pxgX4TL.mp4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A drop ceiling in a produce section?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Solice Kirsk posted:

A drop ceiling in a produce section?

:monocle:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

They are exhibiting an emotional response. Did they just win this sporting event?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Groove is in the heaaAAAaaaart

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Groove is in the heaaAAAaaaart

https://i.imgur.com/4sJ0G2D.mp4

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I see the stone in the middle, but are the ones on the corners counted dead? Didn't see if they hit the walls.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://i.imgur.com/SYHMEeV.mp4

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://i.imgur.com/I2CBve3.mp4

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Curling is the best loving sport in the winter Olympics holy poo poo what is wrong with you guys? Every 4 years get SUPER loving PUMPED for curling.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I did not expect the sheer amount of screaming going on in this video. They sound like the're charging into battle.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://i.imgur.com/HNZwQD8.mp4

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love when she becomes possessed about halfway down the "track" or whatever they call the playing field.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Epic

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Faith no More?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004