Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CelticPredator posted:

But you like Man of Steel? How can this beee!!!!

Anyway, while I don't think the family died, it's still kind of odd there isn't a shot of them running away, or reacting to Superman saving them. That could've been a good moment.

I never noticed that before. It's kind of odd.

There's no shot of the family escaping because it would serve to excuse Superman's decision, that he had to kill Zod because of his singular moral duty to this family, to save them. But - as is often noted in this thread - he chooses to kill Zod, and the camera lingers on his horror at having done so. We can say that this was the moral choice, but again - as is often brought up - it's easy to imagine an alternate universe where Superman otherwise incapacitates Zod, sends him to the phantom zone, some other palliative instead of taking decisive action. (The usual objection to this is that it would be less dramatically satisfying, which is true, but that isn't relevant when we're talking about the morality of Superman killing Zod)

Existentialism is a Humanism posted:

Nor, on the other hand, if God does not exist, are we provided with any values or commands that could legitimise our behaviour. Thus we have neither behind us, nor before us in a luminous realm of values, any means of justification or excuse. – We are left alone, without excuse. That is what I mean when I say that man is condemned to be free. Condemned, because he did not create himself, yet is nevertheless at liberty, and from the moment that he is thrown into this world he is responsible for everything he does. The existentialist does not believe in the power of passion. He will never regard a grand passion as a destructive torrent upon which a man is swept into certain actions as by fate, and which, therefore, is an excuse for them. He thinks that man is responsible for his passion. Neither will an existentialist think that a man can find help through some sign being vouchsafed upon earth for his orientation: for he thinks that the man himself interprets the sign as he chooses. He thinks that every man, without any support or help whatever, is condemned at every instant to invent man. As Ponge has written in a very fine article, “Man is the future of man.”

I'd recommend Existentialism is a Humanism generally. It's an excellent essay/talk, even if existentialism has fallen out of favour in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I've jokingly said to people before "What movie did you watch?" when I've disagreed with them, but it wasn't serious, just a way to express "We have very different opinions on this".

But seeing as someone who is (seemingly) a good video editor, who has a youtube channel which he spends time on talking about films, their effectiveness, why a movie does/doesn't work etc. thinks that the family at the end of MoS got murderized by Zod and Superman's reaction is to their deaths, not to killing Zod or the entire day's events...

There may have ACTUALLY been two MoS's released to the world! It would explain why the arguments about it are still going more than 4 years later, we're not talking about the same movie, he saw a different movie to the rest of us.

I mean, surely someone who talks so much about movies would not get simple facts about them wrong, or ask confusing questions about who died in Suicide Squad. He saw a different cut of that too! His version didn't have the explosion that killed El Diablo, it was cut out! It all makes sense!

Like, I haven't seen MoS in over two years and I instantly recalled the family lived and Superman was screaming over other things, like, is my memory supergood or is there a problem with other peoples?

Is it like the problem with eyewitnesses where 5 of them will give 5 different descriptions of the killer? People's memories are just not trustworthy?

Or is he just an idiot?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I will say Yondus funeral is the best part of the entire movie and I was really moved by it.

It's amazing they actually let this scene pass without undercutting without an awkward joke.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Schwarzwald posted:

How are you planning on releasing your BvS cut? I doubt youtube will consider it transformative enough to let it pass as fair use.

I'mma just put it up on Google Drive and then post a sharable link.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've watched literally dozens of Youtubers run their mouth about why movies work and don't work and 99% of it is poo poo, they have no idea what they are talking about. What they are good is inventing some kind of arbitrary framework (or stealing it from somewhere else) with just enough objective language to make it seem real and then putting that template over movies and, surprise! The broadly popular ones are 'good' and the unpopular ones are 'bad', I've literally never seen any of them apply their framework to an unpopular movie and say "hold on, this is actually good" or vice-versa because their "rules" are just post-hoc justifications. This is the majority of modern film criticism in general, btw.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The internet critics thread is having this exact same conversation. Except it's with BravestOfTheLamps and its going in circles faster than the discussion does around these parts.

Truly, you cannot escape Zack Snyder. We are all part of the same cult. Fans, haters, passive watchers.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
No DCU movie ranks above interesting failure at the absolute most, objectively

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've watched literally dozens of Youtubers run their mouth about why movies work and don't work and 99% of it is poo poo, they have no idea what they are talking about. What they are good is inventing some kind of arbitrary framework (or stealing it from somewhere else) with just enough objective language to make it seem real and then putting that template over movies and, surprise! The broadly popular ones are 'good' and the unpopular ones are 'bad', I've literally never seen any of them apply their framework to an unpopular movie and say "hold on, this is actually good" or vice-versa because their "rules" are just post-hoc justifications. This is the majority of modern film criticism in general, btw.

I'm still just learning a lot of this stuff but it is hilarious when you get the usual things like "CG is bad!" or "too much shot reverse shot" or the ubiquitous "plot holes" and these things are suddenly not important when the movie is popular and the reviewer personally liked it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Farg posted:

No DCU movie ranks above interesting failure at the absolute most, objectively

How so?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Objectively they are a series of images that give the illusion of movement, with sound.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Guy A. Person posted:

It's amazing they actually let this scene pass without undercutting without an awkward joke.

I thought the whole funeral was already a pretty awkward joke in itself. Break out the fireworks for the guy who knowingly helped make this happen!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've literally never seen any of them apply their framework to an unpopular movie and say "hold on, this is actually good" or vice-versa because their "rules" are just post-hoc justifications. This is the majority of modern film criticism in general, btw.

This is just insane to me. Absolutely insane. Are people not allowed to enjoy films that are not enjoyed by what seems like "most people"? If they all share similar problems, perhaps that, I dunno, maybe the film simply didn't connect with them in that way? And maybe that same film, connected with you on a personal level, and you were able to appreciate it in a way they did not? And maybe this isn't a loving bad thing?

Like, people have their own opinions(rules) on what makes a film good. I do, you do, loving weird rear end SMG does. No one goes "Films are nothing and I bring them everything." It's impossible. You want people to say things you agree with and that's fine. I, personally, don't scoff at people finding validation in their opinions, because it's nice to find people who think similar to you. But it's also too much to ask of them to believe what you want them to believe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

the reviewer personally liked it.

Yes.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Timby posted:

A friend of mine wrote this about the issues with Guardians 2. It's an interesting read.

Like I said in the generalchat, Guardians 2 is a "Star Trek" film where the first was "Star Wars." Like in Star Trek, the Federation are the good guys until they try to court martial Kirk for breaking the rules. Then they suck!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

This is just insane to me. Absolutely insane. Are people not allowed to enjoy films that are not enjoyed by what seems like "most people"?

It's telling that the issue becomes about the paranoid fear of not being allowed to enjoy things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wisecrack uploaded a video today in their What Went Wrong series about Man of Steel. I tuned in to see what they could possibly say about it. Less than a minute in "By trying to graft drakness and grit into a character devoid of such qualities, Man of Steel stumbles into a mess..."

He said that as he played a scene where Superman is enveloped by a bright white light.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm 2.5 minutes in and it's already in Not My Superman territory. I'm gonna play some SNES games now instead.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

This is just insane to me. Absolutely insane. Are people not allowed to enjoy films that are not enjoyed by what seems like "most people"? If they all share similar problems, perhaps that, I dunno, maybe the film simply didn't connect with them in that way? And maybe that same film, connected with you on a personal level, and you were able to appreciate it in a way they did not? And maybe this isn't a loving bad thing?

Like, people have their own opinions(rules) on what makes a film good. I do, you do, loving weird rear end SMG does. No one goes "Films are nothing and I bring them everything." It's impossible. You want people to say things you agree with and that's fine. I, personally, don't scoff at people finding validation in their opinions, because it's nice to find people who think similar to you. But it's also too much to ask of them to believe what you want them to believe.

What you are writing is bizarre, and difficult to parse:

"Are people not allowed to enjoy films that are not enjoyed by what seems like 'most people'?"

I assume that you wrote the above phrase very quickly, and without stepping back to think about what you were doing. You are apparently asking forums poster Megaman's Jockstrap for his permission to enjoy film? Does he have power over you? Then we have the stuff about "opinions(rules)" and so-on.

Megaman's Jockstrap simply wrote that post-hoc justifications are bad. I don't believe you like post-hoc justifications. So, what are you doing?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

He's talking about a whole genre of Youtube bullshit that's pretty much devoted to the opposite of what you're saying. By that I mean, they constantly try to break down in "objective" terms why Disney is Great at making High Quality movies. I don't think Mr. Jockstrap is taking issue with youtubers saying "I didn't like this movie."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Schwarzwald posted:

How are you planning on releasing your BvS cut? I doubt youtube will consider it transformative enough to let it pass as fair use.

In a PM to a select few...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm 2.5 minutes in and it's already in Not My Superman territory. I'm gonna play some SNES games now instead.

Justice League Task Force and The Death and Return of Superman, as embarrassingly bad as they are, are still better than those videos.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

He's talking about a whole genre of Youtube bullshit that's pretty much devoted to the opposite of what you're saying. By that I mean, they constantly try to break down in "objective" terms why Disney is Great at making High Quality movies. I don't think Mr. Jockstrap is taking issue with youtubers saying "I didn't like this movie."

Maybe they really like the Disney films and think they're wonderful? :shrug: Manufactured products or not, they do elicit reactions out of people. It's just kind of baffling to me, despite the opinion side of things, why this thread, which applauds expressing your opinion in more lengthy and detailed manner, is so turned off by people doing just that, except for films they don't like.

You guys have this list that whenever someone discusses these Snyder films, they can't go there at all. They can't take issue with a take on a well established character, they can't discuss the destruction at the end of Man of Steel, or the dark tone...ect. And you dismiss the video/essy/post, entirely whenever someone touches on those topics. You guys may find it "boring". But others don't! Others might agree! Or maybe this is an idea that is new to them! I don't know! I'm only myself here!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Martman posted:

This is 100% correct. These reviewers pretend to offer analysis. Instead what they give is justification. That's not the same thing by a country mile.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The amount this thread flips out whenever anyone talks poo poo about a Snyder movie is amazing.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I haven't watched a Nerdwriter video since he did one on Ghost in the Shell, in which his entire point was "not my GitS". It was incredibly stupid. Is there a thread for video essays on cinema?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe they really like the Disney films and think they're wonderful? :shrug: Manufactured products or not, they do elicit reactions out of people. It's just kind of baffling to me, despite the opinion side of things, why this thread, which applauds expressing your opinion in more lengthy and detailed manner, is so turned off by people doing just that, except for films they don't like.

You guys have this list that whenever someone discusses these Snyder films, they can't go there at all. They can't take issue with a take on a well established character, they can't discuss the destruction at the end of Man of Steel, or the dark tone...ect. And you dismiss the video/essy/post, entirely whenever someone touches on those topics. You guys may find it "boring". But others don't! Others might agree! Or maybe this is an idea that is new to them! I don't know! I'm only myself here!

Ok, hang on.

Slow down a second.

This one sentence was really tripping me out: "Are people not allowed to enjoy films that are not enjoyed by what seems like 'most people'?" I had to read it over and over before I realized that, despite the punctuation, it's actually a fragment of a much larger run-on sentence. Here is your full sentence:

"Are people not allowed to enjoy films that are not enjoyed by what seems like "most people" if they all share similar problems, perhaps that, I dunno, maybe the film simply didn't connect with them in that way and maybe that same film, connected with you on a personal level, and you were able to appreciate it in a way they did not?"

That is a motherfucker of a sentence. That is borderline incomprehensible. I mean you straight-up can't read that without just chopping away at it and rebuilding the whole thing. And when you do break it down, what you are saying is not even a question but an assertion: "I have personal experiences!"

Why are you telling us this?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 13, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ultimately so much Internet hot air is people looking for justification for their emotions. It's really quite shocking when you finally see it. It's why a 7/10 review for an unreleased much-hyped video game freaks people out. It's why randos on Twitter will scream that you must have literal brain damage if you don't like Mad Max Fury Road. It turns out that most people are terrified of their own emotions and responses and need constant assurance that they are good, correct, and decent and that people who feel differently are somehow defective in some way.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that someone believing BvS is good is as bad as someone being racist.

I know that sounds like I'm being ironic, but I'm 100% serious

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People want to connect with other people.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

People don't lose their poo poo at someone giving Breath of the Wild a 7/10 because they want to connect with other people, my dude.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

CelticPredator posted:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But isn't that the point of why they're losing their poo poo? I'm not saying everyone is on the same level here, but that seems like someone looking up to a reviewer to share their opinion, and not doing so. And it hurts them, because they are so close to the material, and it is their identity.

Not a healthy relationship. But it all comes down with not wanting to feel alone. It's a weird feeling I used to have as a younger dude. It didn't do anything but add useless anger to my already angsty self. Some people, due to many factors, don't have any self awareness. And it sucks. But on some level, I do kinda get it?

However, I totally get insulting people who say "being racist is the same as liking BvS" because that's a dumb thing to say, though.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Thread war!!! Thread waaaarrrr!!111

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RevolverDivider posted:

The amount this thread flips out whenever anyone talks poo poo about a Snyder movie is amazing.

Lol everyone in here is being pretty chill except CP who is having a mini-meltdown because someone attacked genetic YouTube reviewers with mainstream opinions

But yea those loony Snyder fanboys right?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I heartily reccomend people check out the Internet Critic thread in RGD. It's a riot.

People really hate CD lol

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re: Youtuber chat
I like lessons from the screenplay
He focuses on writing techniques and sources screenplay writing books.

Also, the talk about how everyone remembers MoS differently reminds me of Lindsay Ellis talking about how it's so hard to remember what happened in the Transformers movies

Im at work, so apologies if this is way late and you're already all on some Snyder meta discussion

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Woody Harrelson might be in the Venom movie.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/venom-woody-harrelson-tom-hardy-1202563687/

Odds are he's playing Carnage.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

I heartily reccomend people check out the Internet Critic thread in RGD. It's a riot.

People really hate CD lol

Do people like, try to post here and get chased off by the meanies disagreeing with them? Or lurk here and get pissed at the opinions they see?

Like, I lurk a few D&D threads to try and educate myself on some topics but why would people who aren't interested in posting here even know or care about CD? Why is it even on their radar? I basically have a handful of forums and threads I even care about and the rest might as well not exist. I had to look up what RGD was (I am a total music philistine for any RGDers peeping this post, feel free to make fun of me for that)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lessons From The Screenplay does okay to avoid going out-and-out expressing disdain for things, but it has a terrible habit of calling back to Robert McKee's formula bullshit - and specifically his book, STORY - more often than I'd prefer.

Channel Criswell does pretty well. 100 Years of Cinema has an interesting hook but is a bit shallow.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What is RGD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Gatts posted:

What is RGD?

Podcast forum