Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Zenithe posted:

Accidentally causing a sheep to bleed is pretty common in shearing, although obviously the better you are at it the less it happens.

That's why the letter from the overflow was written in tar, because shearers used it to cauterise any cuts.

Oh I know, but he nicked the sheep a fair few times and he really struggled to get through the whole exercise. It was on a little stage so that the old guys could show off to the audience how a sheep is sheared. The old guys were putting on a show and interacting with the audience, but the other guy just grunted a lot and turned his back to us. Probably the audience was in more pain than the sheep. So awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Inescapable Duck posted:

A conversation with my brother makes me wonder; how hosed is the country? Apparently all the shearers are in their 60s and no one knows how to replace them. Of course, I grew up in the country and no one had any interest in teaching me how to shear, same with my brothers. Nobody thinks of the future out there, and then they wonder why they're so hosed.
Well the answer is staring you in the face. Invade New Zealand!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...212-h03i8e.html

quote:

Bennelong byelection: Tone of Sydney's Chinese media shifts amid foreign interference furore

Growing tension between the Chinese and Australian governments over allegations of undue political influence has filtered into coverage of the Bennelong byelection in Chinese-Australian media, potentially hurting the Liberal Party's chances in Saturday's knife-edge poll.

As attacks by the Coalition on Sam Dastyari over his association with Chinese government-linked donors ramped up over the past few days, the People's Daily, a major Chinese state-controlled outlet, took a hard line against the Australian government, publishing an opinion piece on Monday decrying the debate as racist and urging the government and media to "discard their political biases and prejudices."

After that piece was published, the tone of coverage of the byelection rapidly began to change in Australian-based Chinese media. That coverage may prove crucial in the election on Saturday, as Bennelong has the highest percentage of Chinese-Australians of any seat in the country.

Hours after the People's Daily piece ran, Sydney Today, one of Sydney's largest online Chinese media outlets, described Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull as "standing at the front line of anti-Chinese sentiment".

An online poll of the Chinese community seen on Monday by Fairfax Media indicates Labor's candidate, former NSW premier Kristina Keneally, holds a large lead over the Liberals' John Alexander, drawing 66 percent of the votes.

The ongoing poll is being circulated on the popular Chinese social media app WeChat by Sing Tao Daily, the largest Chinese newspaper in Sydney, and ends on Thursday.

Also on Tuesday, the ACTU ran an advertisement in Sydney Today and 1688.com - both large online Chinese media outlets - calling on constituents to "stop the unfair citizenship test, and criticising a proposal to require prospective citizens to have resided in Australia for four years instead of one year. The advertisement, authorised by ACTU secretary Sally McManus, also struck out at perceived closeness between the Liberal Party and One Nation, claiming "their political positions are extremely similar".

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Oh gently caress off anime dave qld labor are poo poo but they're just really boring about it.

- continues genocide against aboriginal Queenslanders
- shuts down public education
- sells public land for private development
- goes against the union and allows the renewables boom to be driven by private US companies
- what federal public housing commitment agreed to under Gillard????
- makes mean comments about political opponents pets
- poor fashion
- scared and nervous of the electorate and so always combative in person
- HENRY offenders

At least with qld lnp you know exactly what they're about. Qld alp is methadone for hand-wringing wannabe progressives that just end up doing the same thing anyway but ~~~the light on the hill~~~

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lol if the crusade against Dastyari ends up with Turnbull losing the prime ministership due to a 10 point by election swing because of wechat

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

QLD Labor is still somehow the best Labor

Look at this post.

I wanna rub your nose in it so you learn your lesson.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Also just chiming in with that the whole research industry is heavily interlinked with foreign research agencies/universities because our government is shithouse when it comes to funding/supporting research. China is a major partner when it comes to psychology research actually because it was banned until approximately the 1970's as it doesn't strictly conform to the principles of Marxism (according to the CCP).

Interestingly this is a similar thing which happened in the Soviet Union, where a lot of psychology research what heavily neuroscience based because it was more "tangible". I have a greater awareness of this because the specific sub-field that I basically inhabit (beside clinical) is based off these neurophysiological models of the brain, which incorporate a lot of translated texts.

e: basically the point is lol

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Love when people make their submissions to a parliamentary inquiry in comic sans

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Let me have my honeymoon period guys

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
People would be much happier if we simply installed the Greens as a government and ignored elections/democracy.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

People would be much happier if we simply installed the Greens as a government and ignored elections/democracy.
"Stealing our votes!!!!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

"Stealing our votes!!!!"

They obtain that 10% or whatever by campaigning? You can't steal a vote.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

They obtain that 10% or whatever by campaigning? You can't steal a vote.
Labor's gonna lose Batman just like it lost Northcote.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

I'd prefer Communism, but I'll take whatever comes

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Labor's gonna lose Batman just like it lost Northcote.

Probably, a lot of new money white people live there.

You Am I posted:

I'd prefer Communism, but I'll take whatever comes

I'm a tankie, I'll back anything that's immediate full communism with a dash of militarism.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You wouldn't download a vote.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Amoeba102 posted:

You wouldn't download a vote.

Well you can't with the NBN

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

This but unironically. Then I can join the communist party and have the greens complain about how the left belongs to them and them alone

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

This but unironically. Then I can join the communist party and have the greens complain about how the left belongs to them and them alone
TBH that pretty much happens already now too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/RichardMBaines/status/940716442332282880

https://twitter.com/emgramenz/status/940728813217968130

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lol if the crusade against Dastyari ends up with Turnbull losing the prime ministership due to a 10 point by election swing because of wechat

this would be the perfect end to the year, cmon chinese tories, let your nationalism triumph over your conservatism

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is pretty loving good. I wish Vic would contemplate it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Also remember that when you're arguing with coal shills you can see the live output of Australias solar power production anytime you want.
http://pv-map.apvi.org.au/live

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tas Labor must be the best state Labor because you never constantly hear about them doing bad stuff.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

That is brilliant and I wish more states and federal bodies would get on with clamping down. The lobby must be incredibly powerful, and since they're gulping money out of so many pockets it's impossible for them not to be.

Gambling is at record Fukt levels at the moment, particularly the visibility and impunity with which they advertise. I am pretty sure every other even self regulated advertised code has something about the line between advertising and content/programming and there are shitloads of gambling ads playing on the "news desk" code during news broadcasts. And the rise of smart phone apps ... gently caress me ... Can't play Hotline Miami 2 with classification but you can sure as poo poo lose your life savings with any Play Store account.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

BBJoey posted:

this would be the perfect end to the year, cmon chinese tories, let your nationalism triumph over your conservatism

The secret Santa gift was a prophecy

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

G-Spot Run posted:

That is brilliant and I wish more states and federal bodies would get on with clamping down. The lobby must be incredibly powerful, and since they're gulping money out of so many pockets it's impossible for them not to be.

Gambling is at record Fukt levels at the moment, particularly the visibility and impunity with which they advertise. I am pretty sure every other even self regulated advertised code has something about the line between advertising and content/programming and there are shitloads of gambling ads playing on the "news desk" code during news broadcasts. And the rise of smart phone apps ... gently caress me ... Can't play Hotline Miami 2 with classification but you can sure as poo poo lose your life savings with any Play Store account.
It's the platform Xenophon really rose to prominence with in South Australia and I'm honestly surprised Labor didn't take similiar policies on board to try take some of that public support, being the true champions of the working class and all.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Most homeowners with mortgages couldn’t handle a minimum rate rise, survey finds

quote:

More than half of Australian homeowners with a mortgage would be in dire straits if their repayments increased by more than $100 a month, new data shows.

A nationwide survey found 54 per cent of borrowers do not think they could handle a repayment rise of more than $23 a week.

Worse still, almost a third (31.83 per cent) of the 633 people recently surveyed by finder.com.au did not think they could pay more than $50 extra a month – about $11.50 extra a week.

“There are a lot of burnt out borrowers out there,” Finder money expert Bessie Hassan said. “We have seen a lot of Australians overextending themselves, borrowing more than they should.”

Based on a national average mortgage of $371,700, at the average standard variable rate of 4.97 per cent, a rate rise of just a quarter of a percentage point, would cost borrowers an extra $57 a month over a 30-year loan.

If rates were to jump half or a full percentage point, monthly repayments would rise by $114 and $232 per month.

“It would only take a few interest rate movements for 1.5 million people to lose grip on their home loan repayments,” Ms Hassan said.

She said it was vital for homeowners to think long-term when taking out a mortgage and to have enough of a buffer to handle both rate rises and lifestyle changes.

“You need to make sure that you’re not going to put yourself in a position where more than 30 per cent of your income is going to be chewed up by repayments, as that will put you in mortgage stress.”

About 15 per cent of borrowers have no financial buffer at all, a recent survey by Canstar found, meaning they would be unable to cover mortgage repayments if they lost their job, or faced sudden expenses such as emergency medical bills.

With people already facing significant hikes to energy bills, and water bills expected to soar in the coming years, St Vincent de Paul NSW chief executive Jack de Groot said even slight rate rises could hurt.

“About 3 per cent of the people we help are homeowners with mortgages and that figure has stayed relatively constant over the past 18 months as interest rates have stayed put,” he said.

“Given the significant cost increases people are facing, a little extra demand on their home payment could put more people over the edge.”

Mr de Groot said the increase in loan sizes meant rate rises would be more severely felt than in previous cycles, and expressed concern that investors would pass any additional costs to renters, who made up the bulk of the people who received aid.

While finder.com.au’s latest figures are concerning, Ms Hassan said they were an improvement on survey results from April, when 57 per cent of borrowers said they could only handle a minimal rise.

She said an increase in people looking to refinance ahead of anticipated rate rises next year, and borrowers taking advantage of competitive interest rates from lenders, could be behind the improvement.

AMP Capital chief economist Shane Oliver said it was likely interest rates would stay put until the second half of 2018.

“In April there was more talk of higher interest rates coming in, now there’s more talk of them staying where they are,” he said. “I don’t see a move for traditional principal and interest loan repayments to go up until late next year.”

He said when the Reserve Bank did look to interest rate rises, it would do so very slowly.

“What they’ll do is they’ll raise it by 0.25 per cent and then sit on their hands for three months, if things become as bad as surveys like this suggest, they won’t lift them again,” he said.

“They only need to raise interest rates to a point to bring inflation back under control.”

Imagine two of four properties on the edge of a cliff...

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tokamak posted:

Tas Labor must be the best state Labor because you never hear about them

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

The secret Santa gift was a prophecy

Still a lovely present Anidav

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What he doesn't know is what we're sending him back.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ili posted:

Yes. He had a donation pay off 40k (iirc) of his personal legal bills, and another one paid the remainder of his travel costs once he'd gone over his allowance limit or something.

lol

CrazyTolradi posted:

What he doesn't know is what we're sending him back.

You're sending Anidav back to his home dimension?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Knobb Manwich posted:

You're sending Anidav back to his home dimension?

Urumqi

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

G-Spot Run posted:

Yes but have you considered that you just hate poor people?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Given everyones relentless mocking of his partner, it was a pretty loving funny & good gift.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

:thunk:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Van Badtake

e: even the promo pic is a failure

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

Given everyones relentless mocking of his partner, it was a pretty loving funny & good gift.
I don't honestly recall Mith ever mocking Abby??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I can't be hosed reading this in it's grueling entirety, but Vic didn't have pokies until the government greedily had them installed to stop people going to NSW to punt on them (literal busloads of grey haired retirees heading to Murray river clubs). Those clubs were hosed after Vic legalised gambling because they thought they had all this revenue forever, but lo and behold, many have survived by doing what they say they do on the box. They provide a good golf course, bowling green, sports bar, whatever it is the club is meant to be about. WA still doesn't have them. The Kew RSL refuses to install them and gets by on cheap beer, decent food and a new outdoor area for people to relax in with their mates.

gently caress off.

• Locked thread