Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Taro train never stops.

No-one stops.

(This is an example of how useful keeping a localization team from game to game is. You can get callbacks to previous changes, allowing you to build on the ideas you'd already established within a series to convey its themes to the viewer. Also, there is an update last page.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
"Programmed to feel constant feelings of guilt" was a kinda dumb capstone to this touching story. Felt a little silly.
Enjoyed the pure distilled Yoko Taro before that though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does that mean PopoDevola were the ones from NieR and had been wiped to not know it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No these are different unrelated ones.

What else could they do though, like they cant make humanity go extinct... twice.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

quote:

With the original Gestalt lost, humanity was doomed to an inevitable extinction.
Knowing this, we gathered what remaining Replicant data we could find
and launched it to the surface of the moon.
And though success was as unlikely as finding a lost sand grain in the desert,
we still had to attempt it. We still had to try.
We were androids, you see. Protecting humanity was our instinct.

So humanity IS hiding up on the moon, in a way.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bruceski posted:

Does that mean PopoDevola were the ones from NieR and had been wiped to not know it?

I mean, it's theoretically possible, I guess, but probably not.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Bruceski posted:

That’s how I read it too, but who knows.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

There's literally no way they're the same. Popola vaporized herself, Devola's body, and (most of) Emil's original body when she lost her poo poo over Devola's death.

Materant fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 12, 2017

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I don't remember all the details of Nier's plot, but there's something bugging me about this, admittedly limited, recap: why, if Nier was the original Gestalt, was he fighting Shades at the beginning of the game?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"Original" doesn't mean the first one. It's a mistranslation, I think. For whatever reason, Papa Nier is :words: and therefore remains self-aware even after becoming a Gestalt, and therefore he... uh, secretes?... special Maso that keeps other Gestalts sane. See id's LP for example https://lparchive.org/NIER/Update%20133/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

" I hurry to staggers and falls in the soft yet unforgiving sand."

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Weren't those the White Chlorination shades, not the Gestalt shades?

Anyway no way Automata's Popola and Devola are the same ones as in Replicant/Gestalt. Those two were killed by Replicant Jimbo and thoroughly vaporized.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

The shades in Nier's prologue, as I understood it, were failed attempts. Nier was the Origional Gestalt because he was the first one to successfully turn into a Gestalt without going crazy or something like that.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

XavierGenisi posted:

The shades in Nier's prologue, as I understood it, were failed attempts. Nier was the Origional Gestalt because he was the first one to successfully turn into a Gestalt without going crazy or something like that.

It's this. They had been trying to find a suitable Shadowlord to keep the shades sane for a while and had been handing out the grimoires to try and get someone who would work. OG nier is the first they could find and they had an easy way to compel him with Yonah, (who I believe was succumbing to WCS originally)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

Weren't those the White Chlorination shades, not the Gestalt shades?

Anyway no way Automata's Popola and Devola are the same ones as in Replicant/Gestalt. Those two were killed by Replicant Jimbo and thoroughly vaporized.

I just realized I read that pod update as happening before the story so it would be false memories in the viewpoint PopoDevola. Paired with their "it was other models that did it" that led to the conclusion. If you read the memory wipe as happening after the journal then it serves as a resolution rather than another Taro Twist.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

oath2order posted:

It's this. They had been trying to find a suitable Shadowlord to keep the shades sane for a while and had been handing out the grimoires to try and get someone who would work. OG nier is the first they could find and they had an easy way to compel him with Yonah, (who I believe was succumbing to WCS originally)

Yonah had terminal CCD, Compulsive Cookie Desire.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
yeah this moment got me
stupid text being so effective

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Incidentally, I already said it but it bears repeating.

gently caress YoRHa/Android High Command (the actual one, not the fake Council of Humanity one). Bunch of evil assholes.
Which makes them amazingly human :v:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Worst changelog ever.

"Due to reports of our product spontaneously erupting into fiery wrecks that killed your family, we have issued a patch that ensures all remaining updated versions to feel really bad about what happened."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gnome de plume posted:

Worst changelog ever.

"Due to reports of our product spontaneously erupting into fiery wrecks that killed your family, we have issued a patch that ensures all remaining updated versions to feel really bad about what happened."

Shouldn't have put Aperture Science in charge of android production

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

All these drat onions around while I’m trying to read the lp.

:smith:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Holy gently caress, I never picked the option that gave the "No one stops" callback. That's insane.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Popola and Devola: We'll explain everything!

:yokotaro:
"What? Allow a main character to make an informed decision? I THINK NOT."
:shopkeeper:

Wow, if there ever was a flag in Drakenier, that's it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Andyzero posted:

Wow, if there ever was a flag in Drakenier, that's it.

Isn't existing enough of a flag in DrakeNier already?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

My understanding of Gestalt Nier was that he was basically Murphy from Robocop and all the shades at the beginning were the failed attempts from Robocop 2 that went insane because they had no duty they to fixate on.

Original Nier had a pipe and a daughter to save and that was apparently enough to hold himself together as a Gestalt.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

shame they made him a load bearing boss

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Scapegoating is one of the most rear end in a top hat things humanity as a whole engages in. "You have absolutely nothing to do with the thing I hate, but I'm too much of a putz to deal with that poo poo without blaming someone else so gently caress YOU anyway. What the gently caress is wrong with you, you piece of poo poo!?"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
https://twitter.com/BabyGotBell/status/940555341074522113

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Being programmed to feel constant, crushing guilt for something you don’t remember is probably the most dour fate in the game.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

Attitude Indicator posted:

Being programmed to feel constant, crushing guilt for something you don’t remember is probably the most dour fate in the game.

The androids probably have Omelas built on top of Salem, Oregon somewhere.

https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf

@SupremeZero: But Yoko Taro is right. Nier: Automata does suck; as a gaming experience, it's incomplete and often shoddy, and it doesn't deserve the GOTY. It's a great improvement from the days of Drakengard, where it was 100% Yoko Taro's pedophile incest adventures, N:A is much more playable, while retaining much of his unique sensibility, but it's not a masterwork. What's charming about YT (holy poo poo, it's a Neal Stephenson reference) is that he's not afraid to admit it, while not making trite pronouncements about how his next game will be better or thanking his fans.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

It seems ridiculously over the top. Kind of ruins the mood of the piece to have that as a capstone.

Change it so it says "Somehow, all Devola and Popola models became afflicted with constant feelings of guilt, no solution has been found" and it's a bit less evil scientist-y.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It seems ridiculously over the top. Kind of ruins the mood of the piece to have that as a capstone.

Change it so it says "Somehow, all Devola and Popola models became afflicted with constant feelings of guilt, no solution has been found" and it's a bit less evil scientist-y.

That's the thing, though. The Devola and Popola models, besides the Project Gestalt operators, did nothing wrong. The joke is that the other DP models were basically scapegoats (making the Omelas reference more relevant) who ended up suffering because android society needed someone to blame for the death of humanity.

So when you're looking at the Devola and Popola blowing themselves up in N:A, you're looking at completely innocent people who've been forced to suffer guilt pangs for something completely unrelated to them--it's almost literally Jews in medieval Europe getting pogromed once in a while because Christ, a Jew, was executed by the Romans at the behest of Jewish elites, when Christ himself wanted to die and it was closer to assisted suicide..

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Charles_Kinbote posted:

So when you're looking at the Devola and Popola blowing themselves up in N:A, you're looking at completely innocent people who've been forced to suffer guilt pangs for something completely unrelated to them--it's almost literally Jews in medieval Europe getting pogromed once in a while because Christ, a Jew, was executed by the Romans at the behest of Jewish elites, when Christ himself wanted to die and it was closer to assisted suicide..

No, it isn't, you loving moron.

They're robots who got guilt chips

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

GeneX posted:

No, it isn't, you loving moron.

They're robots who got guilt chips

Go play on the road, but the parallels to the condition of European Jewry are definitely there. "Killed" "God"? Check. Uninvolved persons scapegoated? Check. Doomed to wander as in the European myth of the Wandering Jew? Check. An attempt at genocide? Check. You'd suspect Yoko Taro did his research and drew inspiration from the historical models, but it's fun thinking of Devola and Popola as Jewish a la Scarlett Johansson.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
:yikes:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

You're being weird again. Stop being weird.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Charles_Kinbote posted:

Go play on the road, but the parallels to the condition of European Jewry are definitely there. "Killed" "God"? Check. Uninvolved persons scapegoated? Check. Doomed to wander as in the European myth of the Wandering Jew? Check. An attempt at genocide? Check. You'd suspect Yoko Taro did his research and drew inspiration from the historical models, but it's fun thinking of Devola and Popola as Jewish a la Scarlett Johansson.

haha what the gently caress

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It seems doubly weird that all the other androids would hate Popodev for "killing off humanity", when none of the other Androids are supposed to know that humanity is gone. If humans are supposed to be doing fine, hanging out on the moon, what is there to be so drat pissed at the twins for?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

It seems doubly weird that all the other androids would hate Popodev for "killing off humanity", when none of the other Androids are supposed to know that humanity is gone. If humans are supposed to be doing fine, hanging out on the moon, what is there to be so drat pissed at the twins for?

"THEY KILLED MANKIND" is catchier than "THEY FORCED MANKIND TO EVACUATE PLANET EARTH AND RELOCATE TO THE SURFACE OF THE MOON"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

They don't actually know the details. They just know the old version of the twins committed a horrible crime that put humanity's future in jeopardy.

• Locked thread