Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

i've never understood this desire by android people to have nothing at all on their home screen

its something about the icons. i have tablets for three platforms and android is the only one with nothing beside a dock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Android is copying IOS again...

iOS is always broken because most of its userbase is too dumb to change default settings or even know that settings exist at all.

you can coerce iOS to behave if you get a phD in Settings and fiddle about with it a bit

in android you always leave the settings menu thinking "this is the best compromise i'm gonna get"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hide icons and taskbar on windows

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lol if you ever see your desktop except in that short time between rebooting and opening an application to actually do something

i mean, do some of you just sit there and stare at the pretty colours of your chosen wallpaper?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Jabor posted:

lol if you ever see your desktop except in that short time between rebooting and opening an application to actually do something

i mean, do some of you just sit there and stare at the pretty colours of your chosen wallpaper?

look at this single monitor scrub 😷

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

look at this single monitor scrub 😷

with every window maximized too/. what a tard.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

don’t use that word about android users, it’s cruel to the mentally diverse

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

i've never understood this desire by android people to have nothing at all on their home screen

someone pretty much said it flat out

Negrostrike posted:

Because it ain't no loving iPhone

Live wallpaper

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's a $400 super google home now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

there's a $400 super google home now

did they make buttons work this time?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's the best Android equivalent app to Apple's Passbook? For tickets, mainly.

nimper posted:

Google keeps track of your tickets for you, n'est-ce pas?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sort of. Take ticketfly for example, the barcodes are right in the email body when I purchase and pkpass files for Passbook are attached. Sometimes, Google will pop up a QR code when it's concert time, but those never work and I'm not sure where the QR code is from as the tickets are barcodes. It's a pain to open my email client and pull up the email body to scan when I enter the venue, and I'm jealous of how seamless it is for my buddy and his iphone.

Blue Train posted:

Take a screenshot of it and set it as your lockscreen wallpaper

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
how about no

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i have literally never used passbook or seen anyone use passbook, ever. is there even anything in the uk that uses it beyond airlines? the most high tech thing i or anyone i know does before any gig or event is have the pdf ticket in dropbox or something

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Generic Monk posted:

i have literally never used passbook or seen anyone use passbook, ever. is there even anything in the uk that uses it beyond airlines? the most high tech thing i or anyone i know does before any gig or event is have the pdf ticket in dropbox or something

since they cancelled the annual roundhouse iTunes gigs, no

john lewis use it for their loyalty card I guess

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

i use it all the time. concert and movie tickets use it, store loyalty cards use it, my gym uses it, airlines use it, etc.

and when i use it at those places, i generally see lots of other people using it, as well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you mean wallet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fart simpson posted:

you mean wallet?

wallet was formerly called passbook

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

when I was in uk I didn’t use it loads, loyalty cards etc. but in the us I have about 50 Ticketmaster stubs, a bunch of Airlines etc. mostly one offs. it works well and more places should use it, i like how it’s ready to go on the start screen when it knows it’s the right time and date for the event so I’m not digging it out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i only use it for boarding passes but i always use it for boarding passes

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

thanks, installed this and couldn't find it because apparently I had to select a wallpaper from google now launcher and not live wallpapers lol google

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

i only use it for boarding passes but i always use it for boarding passes

also pay

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably pretty good for everyone if a couple of these more clear-cut lock-in systems like passport and pay don't become too ubiquitous

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

probably pretty good for everyone if a couple of these more clear-cut lock-in systems like passport and pay don't become too ubiquitous

how are optional-use convenience systems lock-in systems? there's no reason someone couldn't make an android app that can read and use .pkpass

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

how are optional-use convenience systems lock-in systems? there's no reason someone couldn't make an android app that can read and use .pkpass

or from just sliding a card

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

might be dangerous if Apple had a stranglehold on the notoriously closed systems of displaying QR codes or making RFID payments, which are definitely not available elsewhere.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I've personally built a system that could do passbook manipulation (to a limited degree) for a previous company i worked at, so yeah, there's literally no reason this couldn't be done.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
now that stores can have RFID loyalty cards it's a bit more worthwhile than simply displaying a barcode on your screen that the scanner won't ever read first try

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

might be dangerous if Apple had a stranglehold on the notoriously closed systems of displaying QR codes or making RFID payments, which are definitely not available elsewhere.

this, except unironically, was the point yeah. it didn't come to pass as such, but if e.g. pay had become dominant it is easy to imagine the stickiness of a situation where people goes "eh, my card only works with pay so changing phones would be too much of a hassle", or special rebates involved or whatever. far better to have it remain a bit messy and not have choice of phone hardware also come with too many ecosystem effects

not that it is immoral by apple out anything either (perhaps good to imagine google in the same place to more clearly see it as an issue), but there not being a lot of deals in place keeps things rather more flexible

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
shut up bitch

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you're certainly a touchy bunch!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

i use it all the time. concert and movie tickets use it, store loyalty cards use it, my gym uses it, airlines use it, etc.

and when i use it at those places, i generally see lots of other people using it, as well

fair. i always forget that it exists whenever i do something that might make use of it so prob at least partially on me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

this, except unironically, was the point yeah. it didn't come to pass as such, but if e.g. pay had become dominant it is easy to imagine the stickiness of a situation where people goes "eh, my card only works with pay so changing phones would be too much of a hassle", or special rebates involved or whatever. far better to have it remain a bit messy and not have choice of phone hardware also come with too many ecosystem effects

so let me see if I can break down this tortured logic:

1) if Apple Pay was not built on industry standard tokenized RFID payments (same as the ones used by Samsung Pay and Android Pay)
2) and it required vendors everywhere and credit providers to support a proprietary interface before it gains any traction
3) and it became the dominant pay method
4) and for some reason credit card makers would restrict your card to only working with Apple Pay

then it would be a bad thing.

yes, I suppose that’s true.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

so let me see if I can break down this tortured logic:

1) if Apple Pay was not built on industry standard tokenized RFID payments (same as the ones used by Samsung Pay and Android Pay)
2) and it required vendors everywhere and credit providers to support a proprietary interface before it gains any traction
3) and it became the dominant pay method
4) and for some reason credit card makers would restrict your card to only working with Apple Pay

then it would be a bad thing.

yes, I suppose that’s true.

makes u think

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

so to an extent the incentive to use Apple Pay is right here because card issuers have to ship a slow contact chip in the card but can punt spending extra on a fast contactless chip because Apple and various knockoffs bundle and provision their own contactless

and the short version is that’s why i Apple Pay at the grocery store instead of waiting on the chip

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so to an extent the incentive to use Apple Pay is right here because card issuers have to ship a slow contact chip in the card but can punt spending extra on a fast contactless chip because Apple and various knockoffs bundle and provision their own contactless

and the short version is that’s why i Apple Pay at the grocery store instead of waiting on the chip

but, as the management noted in 1), if you have an android, you can do the same with google pay or samsung pay. hell, with samsung pay, there doesn't even need to be an nfc reader, since the magnetic strip emulator thing apparently works well.

your incentive is to use contactless over using the real card, not to use apple pay. if google and samsung don't make people aware of their versions, that's not on apple

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 13, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the speed seems to be more correlated with the terminal than the chip. costco's terminals don't do nfc yet, but using a chip card there is almost as fast as apple pay anywhere else.

i would think that the increased security would be a bigger incentive to the credit card companies since digital wallets are locked with a pin/biometrics and the transactions involve one-use tokens and a device number instead of your real card number, so even if there is hacking or skimming they can't do anything with the information and it's trivial for the card issuer to just push a new device number to you vs cancelling and re-issuing your physical card.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what 3rd world hellhole do y'all live in where your cards haven't all had contactless for at least five years?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's practically impossible to find a place here that accepts credit/debit and doesn't have a contactless reader. every card issued by anyone has had an nfc chip since like 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

what 3rd world hellhole do y'all live in where your cards haven't all had contactless for at least five years?

America. Chips are new to us.