Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile Bannon is apparently gonna double down in his war on the GOP leadership because of course he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Meanwhile Bannon is apparently gonna double down in his war on the GOP leadership because of course he is.

How's that going for him?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the GOP will absolutely try to prevent Moore from running again anywhere but he isn't the type of guy that takes "No" for an answer

What a renegade... He really molests tells it like it is

Also that clip of Moore on the horse who had enough of his poo poo was positively Dukakisian in retrospect. :allears:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/940939246613028864

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
I'm going hunting in Alabama in a few weeks, and this election was kinda making me feel bad about paying the license fee to the state. While I'm still not exactly stoked about giving money to them, at least I know there's zero chance Roy Moore will have any influence on how it's spent. :unsmith:

Seconding Wind River - I watched it a few weeks ago on Netflix (Prime?), and it was easily worth the fee for the month.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Handsome Ralph posted:

It keeps his business empire alive, are you kidding?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

loving :lol:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Immanentized posted:

The same director/writer did a movie called Seven Psychopaths a few years back, also featuring Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson. It's more along the comedy lines, but retains his really dark sensibilities. Generally recommending to anyone who's down to watch a two hour dialogue-heavy comedy. Great payoff in the end.

he also did In Bruges, which has Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes in it. I think that one is his best work but all of his films are definitely worth checking out.

Like most directors he seems to have actors he likes working with but so far the only guy in all three has been Zeljko Ivanek

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I have a lot of problems with Pete King, but he's an old school classic party politician who at least actually respects the functions of government.

He used to be tight with the large Muslim community in his district but 9/11 kinda broke his brain (ironic, considering he was a HUGE supporter of the IRA.)

One of my favorite King quotes:

quote:

I hate Ted Cruz, and I think I'll take cyanide if he ever got the nomination.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 13, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

I have a lot of problems with Pete King, but he's an old school classic party politician who at least actually respects the functions of government.

No he isn't. He's just as willing to throw bombs at his own party if it suits him. He's a hack and an embarrassment. (and a cynical white supremacist with the most anti-immigrant views in the House)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
NY Times podcast The Daily has a guy on who made some interesting points. Particularly that yes, Moore won big amongst white people, the democrats turned enough suburban and affluent white republicans to either vote Jones or go third-party to make a difference. The guy says these are the people who vote Bush/Romney without any issues. That along with the huge turnout for black people were what won the election for Jones.

You all wanna talk about a dipshit democrat candidate because we got one in Illinois campaigning for governor. JB Pritzker has an estimated worth of 3 billion. He comes from a wealthy rear end family, so his money wasn't earned. He has no real policies beyond "NOT TRUMP." He's like a blind man's interpretation of Jay Leno gone awry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzz9Ne5d3Z8

bloops fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 13, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Thwomp posted:

No he isn't. He's just as willing to throw bombs at his own party if it suits him. He's a hack and an embarrassment. (and a cynical white supremacist with the most anti-immigrant views in the House)

look the republican party has sunk low enough that a politician that admits the opposition might actually be human and dosen't actually eat the peanuts from his own poo poo is a shining beacon of hope

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
gently caress the process and gently caress keeping up appearances. This is basically war with the poo poo the republicans are trying to pull. gently caress anyone who thinks we need to be nice and respectful to people literally trying to make you poor and dead.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm eating a hot steaming bowl of backpedalling this morning and it tastes delicious.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

gently caress the process and gently caress keeping up appearances. This is basically war with the poo poo the republicans are trying to pull. gently caress anyone who thinks we need to be nice and respectful to people literally trying to make you poor and dead.

This was from The Pain in 2002 and will always be relevant

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I got so loving high last night in anticipation of Moore winning but instead it turned out really good :unsmith:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/940929859353825281

I wasn't aware that Weinstein endorsed Moore

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oh man, Omarosa got fired and raised a scene too.

https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/940967236675817473

The official statement from the White House is that Omarosa resigned as of January 20th.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Trump needs a new token now that she's gone and Clarke is PNG

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Clarke is the embodiment of the saying "all hat and no cattle"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i mean he literally had a guy harassed at the airport because he made fun of his hat

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/MazMHussain/status/940813349578838016

Wouldn't be surprised if Erik prince was involved in this somehow

Edit:

Lol get hosed sessions/trump

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/940977344369561600

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

cowboy elvis posted:

NY Times podcast The Daily has a guy on who made some interesting points. Particularly that yes, Moore won big amongst white people, the democrats turned enough suburban and affluent white republicans to either vote Jones or go third-party to make a difference. The guy says these are the people who vote Bush/Romney without any issues. That along with the huge turnout for black people were what won the election for Jones.

You all wanna talk about a dipshit democrat candidate because we got one in Illinois campaigning for governor. JB Pritzker has an estimated worth of 3 billion. He comes from a wealthy rear end family, so his money wasn't earned. He has no real policies beyond "NOT TRUMP." He's like a blind man's interpretation of Jay Leno gone awry.

Daily is very good on a daily basis.

And while that guy definitely looks like a dipshit at least he knows to pay people to make non-poo poo ads. Politicans making poo poo ads have probably swung 5% of the vote against them because TV is so important to lazy voters

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

*Nods*

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

M_Gargantua posted:

Daily is very good on a daily basis.

And while that guy definitely looks like a dipshit at least he knows to pay people to make non-poo poo ads. Politicans making poo poo ads have probably swung 5% of the vote against them because TV is so important to lazy voters

I would argue that every ad I’ve seen of his has been awful. They tell me nothing about him other than he’s not a Trump fan. That’s not good enough.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

cowboy elvis posted:

I would argue that every ad I’ve seen of his has been awful. They tell me nothing about him other than he’s not a Trump fan. That’s not good enough.

I have a feeling that the game plan for most Democrats running in 2018 is "not trump, Russia bad" and that's about it. It only worked here cause Moore is a loving dumbass goof and that black people know history well

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I have a feeling that the game plan for most Democrats running in 2018 is "not trump, Russia bad" and that's about it. It only worked here cause Moore is a loving dumbass goof and that black people know history well

Yea and it’s a silly strategy. Unsustainable if you aim to keep voters voting democrat for years What worked in Virginia for that woman and Jones was talking to people about everyday issues that immediately impacted their lives day to day. Jones called that “kitchen table issues.”

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

cowboy elvis posted:

Particularly that yes, Moore won big amongst white people, the democrats turned enough suburban and affluent white republicans to either vote Jones or go third-party to make a difference. The guy says these are the people who vote Bush/Romney without any issues.

They say that every time, no matter the electoral outcome.

The income of a lot of democratic politicians and consultants seems to depend on their not understanding the success of populist candidates, whether Trump or Sanders.

I share Sir Charles' hope that after this election at least some of them wake up and start helping black people again.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri was more dark and sad than a dark comedy. I advise waiting for it to go on hbo or showtime instead of paying box office ticket money.

Doug Jones winning is the beginning of the mattering, in my humble opinion. Watch. Just watch.

I really want to see that movie. Maybe it's the 13 or so years living in small town Missouri. I dunno, but it hits close to home for me.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Brute Squad posted:

I really want to see that movie. Maybe it's the 13 or so years living in small town Missouri. I dunno, but it hits close to home for me.

It's worth seeing in theaters.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Smiling Jack posted:

look the republican party has sunk low enough that a politician that admits the opposition might actually be human and dosen't actually eat the peanuts from his own poo poo is a shining beacon of hope

This is why I changed my view of the Bushes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

cowboy elvis posted:

I feel like it hasn't been stated enough that 40% of college educated white people in Alabama voted blue too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Eej posted:

I feel like it hasn't been stated enough that 40% of college educated white people in Alabama voted blue too.

Is that an increase from prior elections? I keep seeing stats on white voters and am reading how the democrats turned some of them. Without numbers, it’s difficult to see the swing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Democratic strategy in 2018 is to focus on grass roots, which is exactly what they did in Alabama and Virginia. Perez has pretty much come out and said this, because it's much more effective at actually getting people elected than worrying about messaging on the national level. Yes, anti-Trump messaging helps, but ground-level stuff translates that into actual wins.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

Democratic strategy in 2018 is to focus on grass roots. Perez has pretty much come out and said this, because it's much more effective at actually getting people elected than worrying about messaging on the national level. The last time they tried this was 2006 under Howard Dean, and it worked really well.

If it worked back in the day, why was this strategy abandoned?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

If it worked back in the day, why was this strategy abandoned?

Because Democrats thought they could ride the popularity of Obama and abandon their focus on state level politics. Part of the reason why they lost so many seats at the national and local level in 2010 was because they thought Obama being Obama would be enough. They dedicated their resources to national level messaging, rather than focusing efforts at the grass roots to recruit local candidates.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This was the GOP plan from 2008-2016. Obama bad, will not work with him! For 8 years Republicans told their base a sad story without coming up with alternatives. Now they have nothing but poo poo plans from healthcare to taxes and can barely govern.

If the Dems spend the next 3-7 years like the Republicans did this country is hosed.

As much as I like Nancy, I really hate her grip on leadership. The Dems need new blood at the top, I wish she would realize this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cowboy elvis posted:

Yea and it’s a silly strategy. Unsustainable if you aim to keep voters voting democrat for years What worked in Virginia for that woman and Jones was talking to people about everyday issues that immediately impacted their lives day to day. Jones called that “kitchen table issues.”

Careful, you'll be lumped in with me in the crazy right wing corner of GIP.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

cowboy elvis posted:

Is that an increase from prior elections? I keep seeing stats on white voters and am reading how the democrats turned some of them. Without numbers, it’s difficult to see the swing.

It’s muddled here.

Alabama has something like the 6th or 7th highest percentage of the population with HS degree or less. Targeting these voters is core to success in the state for any political race. I’m not sure this can be racked up as a Democrat or Jones win as much as a rejection of Moore himself. 2020 is going to be interesting to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Peak Biden here, though it's about cancer so feel free to avoid it, if so inclined :shobon:

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/940983874946924544

• Locked thread