Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Bribase posted:

Theres already enough out there that the people in the know trying to find the leak will know its been spilled. So cut the pretense and just say it.

Who says there is just one tin of beans to spill? Mayhaps there are numerous juicy beany tins? And furthermore.

PederP fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Codezombie posted:

I've done it for the daily totals.

1 Count 339
2 Count 237
3 Count 310
4 Count 251
5 Count 204
6 Count 194
7 Count 137
8 Count 98
9 Count 85
Grand Count 1855

Edit: Data is scraped from here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

I'll play more with it later;

As anomaly;

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 13, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

Reminds me of the suit Zenimax filed against John Carmack, saying he took ideas developed while working for them when he went over to Oculus. I think Oculus lost that to the tune of $500 millo, not that it stopped them.

I guess CIG's best hope is to get bought out by Facebook for 4 billion dollars?

Or bought by Amazon because Amazon is hungry.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

The Crytek Complaint posted:

15. On November 20, 2012, Crytek and Defendants entered into a Game
License Agreement ("GLA") with Crytek. The GLA was extensively negotiated, and
negotiations on behalf of the Defendants were led by one of the Defendants' cofounders,
Freyermuth. In prior years, Freyermuth also represented Crytek in
negotiations of similar license agreements with third parties. Notwithstanding that
he had confidential information about Crytek's licensing practices that would
unfairly advantage Defendants, Freyermuth never recused himself from those
negotiations and never resolved that conflict of interest with Crytek. The
negotiations on behalf of Crytek were led by Carl Jones, then an employee of Crytek.
Jones later left Crytek and became an employee of Defendants.

Oooh... Ortwin might be in trouble...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Speaking of lawsuits:

quote:

In September 2017, Philipp Schulz requested a refund of more than $24,000 from the team working on Star Citizen. Today, more than 80 days later, he has yet to receive the requested amount in full, or compensation for the legal fees he has incurred since that date, Schulz says.

Over the past few weeks we’ve talked with Schulz about how he came to spend so much money crowdfunding a video game. We’ve also attempted to find out why it has taken so long for him to receive a refund. But, in order to tell the tale we need a quick preamble on why it’s even a story in the first place.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/13/16767590/star-citizen-refund

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MinorInconvenience posted:

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Hav posted:

I'll play more with it later;

Sorry that should be I've done it for the *MONTHLY* totals, not daily. OP has been altered to reflect that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This is Logic Sol's space court opportunity to shout 'OBJECTION' and then be all 'Actually I think you'll find they are now using Starengine so this case is DISMISSED YOUR MAJESTY :smug: ' and then gesture to Messi Knessi who is sat wallowing in a green cloud in the corner 'MY I PRESENT EXHIBIT A - Our Reddit archive, Mr Knessi if you will...'

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 13, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

This is Logic Sol's space court opportunity to shout 'OBJECTION' and then be all 'Actually I think you'll find they are now using Starengine so this case id DISMISSED YOUR MAJESTY :smug: ' and then gesture to Messi Knessi who is sat wallowing in a green cloud in the corner 'MY I PRESENT EXHIBIT A - Our Reddit archive, Mr Knessi if you will...'

But the archive was closed! All that work, lost, just as they need it most.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MinorInconvenience posted:

Looks like we might get some hot space court action. What you quoted is fairly brutal.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Derek's thread has been deleted and replaced with one that doesn't link his twitter.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7jkocy/crytek_gmbh_v_cloud_imperium_games_corp_et_al/?st=jb5bot5k&sh=b4789a2b

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

Actually it was made read only as Derek's involvement is now irrelevant with the release of 3.0 :smug:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Codezombie posted:

Sorry that should be I've done it for the *MONTHLY* totals, not daily. OP has been altered to reflect that.

Doesn't really matter, although the dataset itself is small. It's basically predicated on a set probability for the first digit being '1'. Larger datasets would be better, but this one is fun enough.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Sarsapariller posted:

Like tears in rain....again.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

quote:

COMPLAINT Receipt No: 0973-20960362 - Fee: $400, filed by plaintiff Crytek GmbH. (Attorney Kevin James Minnick added to party Crytek GmbH(pty:pla))(Minnick, Kevin)

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Hav posted:

Doesn't really matter, although the dataset itself is small. It's basically predicated on a set probability for the first digit being '1'. Larger datasets would be better, but this one is fun enough.

The daily totals are in that link I posted, but only as running totals, so its a bit more work to calculate the deltas, not impossible, but slightly more effort.
If I can be arsed I'll whip up a bit of code that extracts the hourly pledges from the running totals. But it won't be till I get home tonight and have a free hour or so.

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 13, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Christ, that makes the Bug smasher guy look somewhat healthy.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Amazon buys Star Citizen.
Amazon fires Chris Roberts.
Amazon releases Star Citizen a few years later in a massively scaled down form with private servers.
Freelancer 2 finally delivered.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

I'm sure they haven't used CryEngine for ages, so don't know how they could be done for breach of copyri...oh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsGxm0FHlU&t=263s

Remember how I wrote a blog saying they really didn't switch?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Crytek v. CIG (Uploaded by qwints): https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Hav posted:

Ignore me, I'm talking shite, again, it *is* the daily totals... *sigh*
I'm thinking about extracting the *hourly* totals, and got confused.

In my defense I'm writing a frequency analysis window routine, and posting during test runs, so I'm a bit distracted. ;)
(my actual defense, clearly, is I'm an idiot)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
so I guess it wasn't turbulent that was owed all those back dollars based on a SC release in 2017

or maybe that will be a separate lawsuit lol

giving you the slow clap over here derek. I even have my assistant standing up with me doing it

o7 commando

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I don't want to bother quoting any of this. The whole thing is gold. Read it right now.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Look at all this delicious dirt.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
It's such delicious karma that CIG are planning a huge Squadron 42 marketing blitz.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm so hard right now

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

lol at everything

'but but they are using starengine!!!' the backers cry - 'gently caress YOU NERD' replies Ironside

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Yeah this is serious. I only deal with this sort of thing from the view of some work working as a coder, but *each and everytime* I provide a build, assets or even a drat code snippet, to a trusted middleware developer (usually Audiokinetic) I check that our legal agreements still stands with said developer.

This is *serious* business, and if Crytek's complaints are true, then CIG is in deep doo doo.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

This looks like an honest to Smart E.L.E from an unexpected angle. If those documents have any truth to them, CIG have been monumentally brazen and stupid about their license.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

"Derek's thread"? I didn't create any such thread.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Quoting the poo poo out of this, cause I want.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

"Derek's thread"? I didn't create any such thread.

I think they meant the thread which linked directly to your tweet.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Codezombie posted:

Ignore me, I'm talking shite, again, it *is* the daily totals... *sigh*
I'm thinking about extracting the *hourly* totals, and got confused.

Yeah, I got two digits into the daily analysis and thought, 'this seems familiar'.

I was getting deep into google sheets and I should write something better.

"Section 2.1.2 of the GLA contained a promise by Defendants to use CryEngine for the development of only one video game."

lol

quote:

On December 16, 2015, Defendants announced that "Squadron 42," a single-player video game involving space combat, would be sold separately from Star Citizen. 23.

On January 29, 2016, Defendants made a further public announcement about Squadron 42, stating that it would be made available for purchase as a stand-alone video game. 24.

On February 5, 2016, Crytek notified Defendants that their plan to distribute Squadron 42 as a standalone game was not covered by the GLA's license, because the GLA did not grant Defendants a license to embed CryEngine in any game other than Star Citizen. 25.

On February 14, 2016, Defendants moved forward with their plan for Squadron 42 notwithstanding their failure to obtain a license and began offering the video game for separate purchase. As a result, Defendants are intentionally and willfully using CryEngine without a license and in violation of copyright laws.

Ha, it bit them on the rear end.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
So for once the big deal is actually kind of a big deal. Impressive!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this is bad. like really bad

quote:

Section 2.1.2 of the GLA expressly states that CIG has a license only to "embed CryEngine in the Game and develop the Game." The GLA limits the use of the CryEngine computer program to a single video game called Star Citizen.

21. Exhibit 2 of the GLA states that "the Game does not include any content being sold and marketed separately," such as content "sold and marketed as a separate, standalone PC game."

22. On December 16, 2015, Defendants announced that "Squadron 42," a single-player video game involving space combat, would be sold separately from Star Citizen.

23. On January 29, 2016, Defendants made a further public announcement about Squadron 42, stating that it would be made available for purchase as a stand-alone video game.

24. On February 5, 2016, Crytek notified Defendants that their plan to distribute Squadron 42 as a standalone game was not covered by the GLA's license, because the GLA did not grant Defendants a license to embed CryEngine in any game other than Star Citizen.

25. On February 14, 2016, Defendants moved forward with their plan for Squadron 42 notwithstanding their failure to obtain a license and began offering the video game for separate purchase. As a result, Defendants are intentionally and willfully using CryEngine without a license and in violation of copyright laws.

26. On December 23, 2016, in reference to Star Citizen and Squadron 42, Defendants announced that "[b]oth games are currently in development and are backed by a record-breaking $139 million crowd funded effort."

27. Crytek has not been compensated for Defendants' unlicensed use of Crytek technology in the Squadron 42 game, and has been substantially harmed by being deprived of that compensation, which would ordinarily include a substantial up-front payment as well as a substantial royalty on game sales.

lol at CIG hoisting themselves from their own petard

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Someone post this poo poo on r/Games, that'll really stir up some poo poo!

God I loving love this thread/game.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Bravo Derek! You deserve a “called it” Scooby Snack.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

this is bad. like really bad

lol at CIG hoisting themselves from their own petard

Super atomic auto-wedgie.

quote:

Chris Roberts publicly sought to minimize Crytek's contribution to Star Citizen, stating that "we don't call [the video game engine] CryEngine anymore, we call it Star Engine" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDROliuDczo).

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

quote:

On May 6, 2015, Defendants began posting a series of videos online titled "Bugsmashers." The videos contain excerpts of information from CryEngine that were confidential, in breach of the GLA, and should not have been shown to the public. The series continues today.

I take everything back, this is amazeballs.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

"Section 2.1.2 of the GLA contained a promise by Defendants to use CryEngine for the development of only one video game."

lol

Ha, it bit them on the rear end.

Good, gently caress em all the greedy twats