Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

This describes basically every console in its first year, 1/10

It describes the PS4 in its 4th too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don't have a Switch yet but it seems like it's had a pretty fantastic first year and there's a bunch of games coming out for it that I really want

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

In Training posted:

P5 is all i need

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alder posted:

I don't want to buy a switch since I already own a vita and I'm broke. also, I hope all the jrpgs move to PC like god intended for all video games.

No thanks I like my games to work

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

No thanks I like my games to work

are you an unbeliever? <:mad:>

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

its been so long since i turned on my vita it forgot what time it was

it also deleted my games

not a very good track record

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Switch can't be the Vita 2 yet because it doesn't have enough anime tiddies.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXN8-eIqhM

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I know the Vita is a joke and such, but I've put so many hours into it and am happy when new games come out, even though I have a couple titles I still want to play through. Ive probably put like a hundred hours into Toukiden Kiwani, I've got Cold Steel waiting for me afterwards, halfway through Digimon Cyber Sleuth - these are (almost) all available on better consoles, but there's no way I'd be putting half as many hours into them if I didn't have the portable option.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

I`m the titty depth of field.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Guess what system Gal*Gun 2 isn't coming out on.

Checkmate, Vita.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I`m the titty depth of field.

gaze into my crimson orbs

no, the other ones

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Someone ported Legend of Sword and Fairy to Vita homebrew and that's lovely.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Takoluka posted:

Guess what system Gal*Gun 2 isn't coming out on.

Checkmate, Vita.

Yeah but what system will feature full frontal Arstotzkan nudity???????

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

If you don't play visual novels, VA-11 HALL-A is pretty OK.

In terms of character development: yeah, there's not a lot aside from maybe the main character. Character development in VA-11 HALL-A is not so much an arc as it is learning more about that particular individual as the days progress, although the setting (Glitch City at Megachristmas) definitely seems to have its own arc.

With regards to characters - I think it's easy to relate to Jill's struggles. If you've ever been a 20/30-something and in a job/position that you just sort of fell into, had second doubts about a relationship because you believe you haven't experienced the world enough, or lost someone you never had the chance to reconcile with/express your feelings towards - VA-11 HALL-A does an alright job getting you to think about those things. Hell, if you've ever been a regular at a bar at some point in your life, it feels very familiar. I also enjoyed how the game recognizes and rewards you when you serve a particular patron's favorite drink with very little prompting/guidance. It's not a difficult game in the slightest - if you do what it asks you, it holds your hand pretty well - but it's an enjoyable experience.

If I had to give VA-11 HALL-A a theme, I would say that it's a story about living with the regret from lost opportunities but still finding a way for yourself despite that. Granted, this is just based on my experiences with the front half of the story - the back half might consist of the majority of the monkeycheese that a lot of previous posters alluded to.

Is it simplistic? Yes, you only really ever see the same two backgrounds (the bar and Jill's apartment). Characters have one major sprite modified to represent them speaking, blushing from too much alcohol, changing their expression, or some slight movement.

Are there questionable elements? Yes, Dorothy is a character that exists. They take a lot of pains to represent her as being someone of 'age' (chronologically, she's older than Kira-Miki (the Miku clone) who is an international idol) despite her physical appearance (which they 'justify' in her line of work by more or less establishing that there are creepy guys into underage girls). I think more often than not these efforts feel hollow because she tends to come across as a collection of tropes rather than something interesting.

Are there moments of humor? Yes, but it's definitely a mixed bag. I can easily see myself hating the hell out of a 5-minute series of dumb weiner jokes (haven't gotten to that part yet), but I did enjoy it when Jim Sterling's Virgilio character shows up and acts like a pompous rear end. His behavior winds up playing into his drink requests, which are always weird, obscure suggestions that actually force you to think about the drinks in the recipe book well beyond most other characters' suggestions.

The music is really solid. Whoever did the music clearly loves Snatcher and wanted to do music in that style with a lot of interesting variations.

For the price ($15), I think it's a solid addition to your library if you're curious and don't typically play visual novels (VNs). On top of that, its simplicity means that it takes up very little of the precious space on your Vita memory card (~200-300 MB). If you're a VN enthusiast though, I don't think I can recommend the game since it seems like there are a lot of other options that are probably much, much better.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

With regards to characters - I think it's easy to relate to Jill's struggles. If you've ever been a 20/30-something and in a job/position that you just sort of fell into, had second doubts about a relationship because you believe you haven't experienced the world enough, or lost someone you never had the chance to reconcile with/express your feelings towards - VA-11 HALL-A does an alright job getting you to think about those things. Hell, if you've ever been a regular at a bar at some point in your life, it feels very familiar. I also enjoyed how the game recognizes and rewards you when you serve a particular patron's favorite drink with very little prompting/guidance. It's not a difficult game in the slightest - if you do what it asks you, it holds your hand pretty well - but it's an enjoyable experience.

If I had to give VA-11 HALL-A a theme, I would say that it's a story about living with the regret from lost opportunities but still finding a way for yourself despite that. Granted, this is just based on my experiences with the front half of the story - the back half might consist of the majority of the monkeycheese that a lot of previous posters alluded to.

there is an ending where Jill talks about once having a fight with her ex--the one that died of a literal broken loving heart caused by NANOMACHINES SON--and hiding all the dildos in the house as punishment, and her ex retaliated by masturbating with a cucumber and then eating it in a salad

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

vns are a land of contrasts.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
That game's writing was so bad that I couldn't play it for more than like 15 minutes, the dialogue was just like really amateurish, I dunno.

Doesn't sound like it makes up for it with amazing plot

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vita holiday sales: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/12/12/ps-stores-holiday-sale-5-weeks-of-savings/

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some good savings on...uhh...Crypt of the NecroDancer?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
drive girls is $15 at gamestop

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You shouldn't buy that if it was $0.15

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

John Romero posted:

drive girls is $15 at gamestop

Alright, that's my piece point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My Vita USB cable finally gave up today. Replacement won't be here until next week. Vita..

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

there is an ending where Jill talks about once having a fight with her ex--the one that died of a literal broken loving heart caused by NANOMACHINES SON--and hiding all the dildos in the house as punishment, and her ex retaliated by masturbating with a cucumber and then eating it in a salad

Never played it but based on that description I'm suprised the game wasn't originally developed for vita.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Really Pants posted:

...And it's probably for the best that I haven't tried to get all the endings. Yep. Sounds like I should keep it that way.

This sort of encapsulates what I'd consider my major criticism of the game. When it focuses on larger themes, it does OK. But when it gets down to the smaller, individual level every female character is written like how a guy imagines women talk to each other, which results in the above poo poo dialogue/concept.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 13, 2017

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Really Pants posted:

whom among us cannot relate

i have been stalking my gamestops like some kind of ghoul, collecting their vita games as they are discounted and put behind a shelf. yesterday i got love plus, dynasty warriors next, ragnarok odyssey and lego lotr for like fifteen dollars all together. it is likely that none of these games are good and will sit in a ziploc bag in my coffee table, never to be played on my dead gay system.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

John Romero posted:

i have been stalking my gamestops like some kind of ghoul, collecting their vita games as they are discounted and put behind a shelf. yesterday i got love plus, dynasty warriors next, ragnarok odyssey and lego lotr for like fifteen dollars all together. it is likely that none of these games are good and will sit in a ziploc bag in my coffee table, never to be played on my dead gay system.

why must u hurt urself so? Only 10% of the vita library is what i call OK.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

John Romero posted:

You did not purchase a game called Love Plus on your Vita.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Takoluka posted:

You did not purchase a game called Love Plus on your Vita.

Lol

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
love max, sorry

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

John Romero posted:

Arcana Heart Love Max is a decent fighting game but it's on Vita so, DW Next is an okay Warriors game dragged down by it being an early Vita title and needing to use the touch screen, Ragnarok Odyssey is a meh Phantasy Star Online/Monster Hunter thing, it's not bad just boring, and Lego LotR is a 3DS port that was free on PS + years ago. It was my first platinum trophy ever.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

John Romero posted:

love max, sorry

Had me going there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

Never played it but based on that description I'm suprised the game wasn't originally developed for vita.

It was supposed to come out a couple of years ago, alongside the PC release, but the port took forever.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i bought the drive girls and I like it

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So I tried to like Demon Gaze 2. I really did. But man it sucks. Everyone said it wasn't as good as the first, but I didn't believe them. Man was I wrong. There is one thing that 2 does better and that's a matter of taste in making your encounters with Prometh not feel creepy as gently caress.

I been debating for a few days on if I should write a bunch of:words:, but ask yourself this question. Which game would you rather be playing based on screenshots alone? The art of Demon Gaze was absolutely amazing and made up for the grind.

Art comparison 1

Art comparison 2

Take it from one of the biggest Demon Gaze cheerleaders on these forums, play a different dungeon crawler and don't bother with Demon Gaze 2. Not even when it's on sale. If you get the urge for some Demon Gaze, replay the original.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Your main complaint is the hips?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

SelenicMartian posted:

Your main complaint is the hips?

Hips don't lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002