Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Can't wait to read the transcript of Chris testifying, hopefully they include descriptions of his wild hand waving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

D_Smart posted:

As I posted on Twitter, it's Zenimax v Oculus bad. A firm like Skadden would never get involved in small potatoes.

Ok this is what we need to know. I'm not a lawyer but if it is a fairly credible firm then it probably isn't a frivolous suit and is legit. Get your popcorn ready. Derek: Christmas came early for you?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
if i may *ahem*

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MinorInconvenience posted:

They named good ol' Ortwin in the complaint for one reason--disqualification.

I guarantee that if Ortwin tries to represent Croberts & Co. in court that Skadden will immediately move to disqualify Ortwin for conflict of interest/ethical concerns. Thus, CIG will be forced to hire another lawyer for real $$$$ instead of relying on Ortwin. Makes the defense more expensive for our beloved game company.

Not to mention that Ortwin has spent years weaving tons of legal "gotchas" throughout all those shell companies - I bet CIG was counting on any incoming lawsuits having the inherent disadvantage of having to face Ortwin on his own turf, where they would be deftly outmaneuvered.

If he can't represent CIG, then some other lawyer is going to have to get caught up with the thread.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
This hasn't even reached the best bit yet.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Someone post that picture of Chris smiling like an idiot.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

It would be the ultimate justice if CIG's own braggadocio, all in service of more pledges, is exactly the thing that sinks them.

Triple-LOLs if CIG has to admit the tracker is fake to try and reduce what they owe. Sextuple-LOLs if it's not fake and they get hosed from that direction too.

All of this is better than anything CIG could have built on purpose.

Unfortunately I think if the court doesn't toss this suit it will never go to any trial. They'll settle so they don't have to disclose anything. That mean financials, tracker everything. Because we know that once stuff goes to trial: EVERYTHING comes out. So that is Sandi spending, all of management waste spending. Firings, old employees, HR, everything comes out.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

loving lol
Crobber is feverishly drafting a multi-page rebuttal post right now.

And lol at moma and his attempt at fancy lawyrin' language, ya loving clown.

HERETO AND INSOFAR AND INSOMUCH *frantically attempts to offload thousands of dollars of worthless jpeg spaceships*

It's going to be really interesting to find out just how much and how badly CIG hosed itself with bad decisions. Looking forward to finding out how much bullshit went into that funding chart too.

How's traffic on the refund sub?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hav posted:

Amicus curiae would leave me in stitches for weeks. Unlikely, though.

I checked that he's still active on the California bar; http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/135334

The more I think about it; he's co-chairman of CiG. They are going after him and Bobbers.

FYI, when I looked into this a while back, it's considered bad form to act as a legal counsel for a company you helped found or are a partner to. Basically, it's because you are a part of any legal proceedings involving that company.

I'm no expert in this area, but could anyone else speak to this issue of acting as a lawyer for a company you are personally responsible for?

For instance:

I guarantee that if Ortwin tries to represent Croberts & Co. in court that Skadden will immediately move to disqualify Ortwin for conflict of interest/ethical concerns. Thus, CIG will be forced to hire another lawyer for real $$$$ instead of relying on Ortwin. Makes the defense more expensive for our beloved game company.

XK fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 13, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.forbes.com/2009/01/23/skadden-merger-takeover-business-cx_df_0123skadden.html#719ade507f09

quote:

Skadden. The name, terse and uncompromising, symbolizes the most rarefied levels of corporate law, where clients throw platoons of attorneys at a problem and barely blink at the resulting $50,000-an-hour bills.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Kilmers Elbow posted:

this is a far cry from an ele

*golf clap*

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Someone post that picture of Chris smiling like an idiot.
Except in response to every litigation post on r/sc.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

lol

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
News hit the r/starcitizen discord. Some highlights

quote:

Lightning - Today at 2:23 PM
Imo we are for going to see a hefty settlement, and then a new capital ship for sale.

quote:

Fallen Angel ★ Takao - Today at 2:25 PM
CIG
needs to
just
put
crytek logo n what not
into
the game
or w.e

quote:

Verolish - Today at 2:26 PM
CIG bundles SQ42 and SC into one game pack toss the Crytek logo on the start up screen don't show any behind the scenes screens and pay a few mill and be done with it

quote:

count zerØstatula - Today at 2:27 PM
and if the fear is that crytek can take the engine license away from CIG, it shouldn't matter because they're on Lumberyard now...?

quote:

Verolish - Today at 2:28 PM
Ohwell its not like CIG and SC are going anywhere. Money solves everything and Crytek probably just wants some cash

quote:

Star Immigrant - Today at 2:29 PM
its possible they will bar the use of cry engine in SC which would be the death of SC completely.

quote:

Verolish - Today at 2:29 PM
Plus there are probably hundreds of loopholes and "language" in the contracts etc that lawyers will spend 5 years go over and will probablt end up with a small settlement

quote:

MuhKoInc - Today at 2:29 PM
Thing about copyrighted code is that you can only copyright a code as is
something as simple as rewriting it differently invalidates the copyright

quote:

MuhKoInc - Today at 2:30 PM
Nope
Copyright is stupid for coding that way
coding is viewed as an art form, and is only covered verbatim

quote:

Verolish - Today at 2:30 PM
@MuhKoInc Yup just like i said loopholes and language :stuck_out_tongue:
People be freaking out over nothing

quote:

MuhKoInc - Today at 2:32 PM
Yep @Star Immigrant
That is vague enough
I've had classes on copyright, patent and other IP protection

quote:

The Canadian - Today at 2:33 PM
We'll make the owner of CryEngine disappear

quote:

The Canadian - Today at 2:33 PM
Once hes gone, the lawsuit is no longer valid

quote:

Grag (definitely not Kuro) - Today at 2:35 PM
I thought they only called their companies CIG not RSI

quote:

The Canadian - Today at 2:35 PM
CryEngine .. More like CryBabies

quote:

Lightning - Today at 2:37 PM
Right? If SC could get this hearing stretched out for a year it’s over rift? If crytek can’t even afford to pay there employees
For 3 months now. They are almost dead.

quote:

Verolish - Today at 2:38 PM
"- They want to acquire all rights to StarEngine." that will never ever happen lol

quote:

count zerØstatula - Today at 2:39 PM
CIG should just make the case that Crytek didn't fulfill their end of the agreement, and their support was poo poo, and they were forced to hire former members of the company that had been ousted

quote:

BigSanta™ 🎅 UEE Citizen #40468 - Today at 2:41 PM
The spanner in this whole thing is that Lumberyard being Cryengine (basically) could protect CIG

quote:

Scratcher - Today at 2:41 PM
amazon will just give CIG money to fight it

quote:

Scratcher - Today at 2:42 PM
SC is basically their flagship game for lumberyard

that Verolish guy in particular is going loving hard. Just angry as gently caress mental gymnastics routines.

Backers haven't decided how they want to spin this yet. They are furiously bouncing between

CryTek just wants Money!
StarEngine isn't CryEngine!
Lumberyard isn't CryEngine!
StarEngine both is and is not Lumberyard which is not CryEngine!
They can just throw logos in and be done with it!
Just starve Crytek out, they will run out of money to sue!
Amazon will save the day!

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 13, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I'm going to buy all the Crysis games and Far Crys to help fund the ELE

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.
And it's a drat shame, but I agree with others who have pointed out that this lawsuit is GREAT for Chris Roberts. He can use it as an excuse to close up shop and claim that he didn't fail as a developer; instead, big bad CryTek killed his dream because they were greedy. It's the perfect cover for his ego--letting him walk away without accepting blame for promising to make an impossible game.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bayonnefrog posted:

Unfortunately I think if the court doesn't toss this suit it will never go to any trial. They'll settle so they don't have to disclose anything.

You think they have money for settlements?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Did they think that "switching" to LY was going to relieve them of their obligations to CryTek?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
lmebo, what a good day to check in on this thread

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Nearly a year ago today they put out a presser on their switch to Lumberyard. It came out on like December 23rd, and I remember thinking how insane it was that anyone would post news on the week of Christmas, especially news of an engine switch

I think this lawsuit is going to make a lot of strange moves of the last few years make sense, or at least give context for them

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I wonder if this week’s Burndown will add an Injunction from Crytek as a new blocker preventing release.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Reddit pretending this is :tif: is pretty sad.

edit: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

XK posted:

I'm no expert in this area, but could anyone else speak to this issue of acting as a lawyer for a company you are personally responsible for?

It is indeed considered poor form, in a "a lawyer who acts for himself has a fool for a client" sense, because a lawyer is supposed to give objective advice which is harder to do when the company is your baby. In the UK there's a specific provision allowing it; in the US it's on a state by state basis. But nowhere actually bans it, to my knowledge, just recommends against it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Kramjacks posted:

Can't wait to read the transcript of Chris testifying, hopefully they include descriptions of his wild hand waving.

The courtroom sketch will be an abstract smear.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

What CryTek alleges and what the facts are could very well be two different worlds here. CryTek is alleging breach of contract, insomuch that infringement on IP is a consequence hereto. CryTek also had to make its engineers available for corroboration, which might have been hard to do with all of the financial troubles they've encumbered:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-11-former-employee-sues-crytek-istanbul
https://www.pcgamesn.com/crytek-wage-crisis-black-sea-studio
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/pc/crytek-financial-troubles/1/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/5wzlf2/crytek_employee_here_havent_been_paid_in_2017/
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/source-crytek-is-sinking-wages-are-unpaid-talent-leaving-on-a-daily-basis/

etc.

They, themselves, could have breached. This is not clear yet.

Moreover, the suit itself alleges that CIG halted use of CryTek engine in 2016 (star engine in play), yet they want to lay claim to a breach when engaging Faceware in 2017. They also allege breach for SQ42, yet LumberYard is used for its development.

At worst: I see a settelement since it's completely obvious this is nothing more than a cash grab.
At best: a jury trial in CA was requested so good luck to Cry in trying to prove preponderance

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

:f5h:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

oh I see so its acutally CIG who is suing crytek

it makes sense now

Hey, don't laugh. Remember what he said about the Streetroller refunds. And pretty much everything else? Good times :grin:

----------------

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
Over 900 pages of this thread I've just skipped. Did I just miss the ELE?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru3zwjVMP3A&t=50s

New one. :gary:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

And it's a drat shame, but I agree with others who have pointed out that this lawsuit is GREAT for Chris Roberts. He can use it as an excuse to close up shop and claim that he didn't fail as a developer; instead, big bad CryTek killed his dream because they were greedy. It's the perfect cover for his ego--letting him walk away without accepting blame for promising to make an impossible game.

Chris Roberts doesn't know what's about to hit him and will have no platform for excuses at the end of it.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Yeah I know nothing about legal matters but seeing about 40 different clauses of the GLA being breached is a pretty clear indication to even a layman of the scope of this.

"They contractually agreed here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here to provide things they did not provide and are unquestionably in breach of contract"

I'm sure the legendary genius visionary Chris Roberts is going to reverse this 40 point takedown in court somehow. He is obviously doing everything completely flawlessly and the dream will be amazing.

:siren:Someone watch the grey market:siren:

I don't think doing a "10 for the Chairman" video is going to fix this one.

BUGSMASHERS

lolololol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

FYI, when I looked into this a while back, it's considered bad form to act as a legal counsel for a company you helped found or are a partner to. Basically, it's because you are a part of any legal proceedings involving that company.

It's even simpler than that, you don't represent yourself in court. Apart from having a fool for a client, there's conflict of interest in terms of pure advocacy, and cross-examining counsel gets iffy.

But he's never working in California again if he does.

hot balls man no homo posted:

You think they have money for settlements?

The ten million dollar question.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Croberts gambled Crytek would be dead by now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

It doesn't matter. According to CryTek, CryTek owns any single improvement, code change or feature CIG added to the engine since 2012. That means CryTek owns Star Citizen and SQ42, and, in their lawsuit, are not only asking for damages but the entire game to stop production, permanently.

If any asset has a single trace of CryEngine or CryTek technology, or was built or modified using those technologies, those go as well. CIG would be looking at starting from complete scratch, Lumberyard or no.

Yes. That's correct. They own any technical improvements to the engine, but nothing that pertains to "features & methodologies" (i.e. game play features) or the two IPs.

----------------

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
I just hope kevin costner comes to watch the trial

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

But nowhere actually bans it, to my knowledge, just recommends against it.

Opposing counsel can move on it and the Judge would like agree, but we're a ways off that stuff.

mrchinchin25 posted:

Over 900 pages of this thread I've just skipped. Did I just miss the ELE?

https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

Just getting warmed up.