Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This is some hilarious math

oh gently caress better sperg out because someone rounded numbers on the internet, get your abacus out and tell me how off my numbers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ice skating is on the eventually list. My building has a gym and I’m using the stationary bike there, I can post and ride. I can finally do 30 minutes, but my heart rate averages 145.

This is also advice I should take.

Elevated heart rate is good, so long as you're not going over your max (220 - your age). Try interval training too, it's really good at burning fat continuously.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
My partner is 9 years older than me and the age difference rarely, rarely comes up, like every so often there is a movie/TV show or bar that I don't remember.

But I'm in my mid 30s so I think we are both more grounded in our adult lives and friendships than high school/college, neither of us has any desire for kids so there is no ticking time bomb or worries about raising children as we age, we have both been in serious relationships so we have more grounded expectations than someone in their early 20s and we both hosed around a lot and have had open relationships (ours isn't) so I think we got our other fish in the sea, spread our seed out of system.

A few times it has been weird though because I look a lot younger than I am so some people think there is closer to a 20 year age difference than a 10, a friend of ours has actually been dating someone closer to a 20 year age difference for a few months and he thought we were around the same age until last weekend. Oh, honey, no, I'm closer to your boyfriend's age than yours.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

MF_James posted:

oh gently caress better sperg out because someone rounded numbers on the internet, get your abacus out and tell me how off my numbers are.

A woman who thinks 3 miles is too far for any person to walk because it takes her 20 minutes to drive is funny. The details of your commute are loving boring except for the implication that you drive 100+ mph 🤷‍♂️

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

A woman who thinks 3 miles is too far for any person to walk because it takes her 20 minutes to drive is funny. The details of your commute are loving boring except for the implication that you drive 100+ mph 🤷‍♂️

honestly as someone who has a 20 minute commute whether biking or driving 4 miles, she's a terrible driver as well as person.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

Though I thought the umbrage was at the fact she considered 3.1 miles an insurmountable distance to even walk.

That was only a mild irritation, the multiplier effect of whining about an outdoor mall trip and then caroling (because more walking) is what put her over the top.

Don't get me wrong, caroling is lame as gently caress but not because of the physical demands. Otoh, what the gently caress do I know I'm not on the verge of getting confined to a rascal scooter

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MF_James posted:

What? Do you live in some weird world where there isn't traffic? I live in Chicago, I commute 29ish miles to work, it takes me 45 minutes, not because I drive 2 miles an hour, but because the first 2-3 miles to get to the highway take 20-30 minutes.

Same in Dallas, I commute 12 miles, the drive to the highway makes up about 20% of my commute miles and about 80% of my commute time. Coming home I will be stuck in traffic for an extra 30-40 minutes if I drive straight home instead of stopping by happy hour and chatting with friends for an hour-ish and then breeze home in about 10 minutes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tactlessbastard posted:

That was only a mild irritation, the multiplier effect of whining about an outdoor mall trip and then caroling (because more walking) is what put her over the top.

Don't get me wrong, caroling is lame as gently caress but not because of the physical demands. Otoh, what the gently caress do I know I'm not on the verge of getting confined to a rascal scooter

I highly recommend going to reddit and reading the comments though the story itself is gone now. I put a few up a couple pages ago but I was tickled pink.

Humans aren't meant to run 3.1 miles because of our upright spines! Her doctor said so!

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Here's one I hope gets an update!

I [28m] can’t have children. My girlfriend [25f] of three years is pregnant. What do I do?

Reddit consensus is "get a paternity test because fertility tests mean nothing"

My money is that he's not... the father

If I remember correctly, we've had at a very similar post in this thread except the guy had already left his wife, found out the paternity test was positive, and wanted advice on how to get her back after she told him to go gently caress himself.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

Humans aren't meant to run 3.1 miles because of our upright spines! Her doctor said so!

Our upright posture isn't ideal and sacrifices a lot but homo sapiens is the premiere endurance running species on the planet so i dont know what to tell her other than where she can plug in her rascal

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

tactlessbastard posted:

Our upright posture isn't ideal and sacrifices a lot but homo sapiens is the premiere endurance running species on the planet so i dont know what to tell her other than where she can plug in her rascal

Up until around ~30,000 years(?) ago our entire society was based on walking around and picking fruit and poo poo, or slowly jogging after animals until the keeled over and bashing their heads in with a rock.

OP would be considered a prey animal.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Thin Privilege is being able to trot after a water buffalo for 72 miles until it dies.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Same in Dallas, I commute 12 miles, the drive to the highway makes up about 20% of my commute miles and about 80% of my commute time. Coming home I will be stuck in traffic for an extra 30-40 minutes if I drive straight home instead of stopping by happy hour and chatting with friends for an hour-ish and then breeze home in about 10 minutes.

Do you really live in Uptown, and then commute outside the beltway? lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Up until around ~30,000 years(?) ago our entire society was based on walking around and picking fruit and poo poo, or slowly jogging after animals until the keeled over and bashing their heads in with a rock.

OP would be considered a prey animal.

OP either wouldnt be fat in such a scenario because there wouldnt be enough calories in their diet or be fat for by inventing mass agriculture and animal husbandry in which case I will grant you a fat pass for being the single most influential human of all time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Do you really live in Uptown, and then commute outside the beltway? lol.

I moved to Oak Cliff awhile back, I still have my condo in Uptown though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

fruit on the bottom posted:

Fiancé (27M) is angry I (29F) am opposed to his choice of name for our unborn daughter (due in February). Am I disrespecting his feelings (or even his culture)? Or can you guys see what I'm saying?

They have their own language!? Those crazy Celts, what will they think of next?

My last name is spelled differently than it sounds and while it isn't the worst thing, it does get annoying. My wife didn't take my last name in part because she couldn't deal with it. (I really, honestly, don't care. I fell in love with her with her name.)

My name only has a superfluous 'e' that changes the vowel sound. I can't imagine dealing with a name with that many opportunities for mispronunciation, let alone it sounding completely different. It would happen when someone who met her wrote down her name too.

I guess she would have a certain protection from Facebook stalking.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

OP either wouldnt be fat in such a scenario because there wouldnt be enough calories in their diet or be fat for by inventing mass agriculture and animal husbandry in which case I will grant you a fat pass for being the single most influential human of all time.

Grog the Fat First Farmer drowning in Neanderthal pussy. Thankfully he has no trouble staying homo erectus if you catch my genetic drift

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Beachcomber posted:

The facebook stalkers are the ones who would find out how to spell it, and guess what, no one else has that name so it's super easy to find her.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

My last name is spelled differently than it sounds and while it isn't the worst thing, it does get annoying. My wife didn't take my last name in part because she couldn't deal with it. (I really, honestly, don't care. I fell in love with her with her name.)

My name only has a superfluous 'e' that changes the vowel sound. I can't imagine dealing with a name with that many opportunities for mispronunciation, let alone it sounding completely different. It would happen when someone who met her wrote down her name too.

Are you the Daniel Pryzbyz (pronounced Shibbish) that I went to high school with?

e: not his real first name

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 13, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Beachcomber posted:

Heritage and personal history and poo poo is well and good, but if I moved to the sub-Saharan desert and married one of the locals I'd pick a name that isn't weird in that culture. Preferably one that works in my culture as well. Giving your kid a name that has special meaning to you but is weird as hell in the area they'll grow up is just narcissistic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Outrail posted:

Heritage and personal history and poo poo is well and good, but if I moved to the sub-Saharan desert and married one of the locals I'd pick a name that isn't weird in that culture. Preferably one that works in my culture as well. Giving your kid a name that has special meaning to you but is weird as hell in the area they'll grow up is just narcissistic.

I’m naming my son “Tasteful Hentai” and that’s that. Don’t tell me how to parent.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m naming my son “Tasteful Hentai” and that’s that. Don’t tell me how to parent.

Future All-American and Heisman winner.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The facebook stalkers are the ones who would find out how to spell it, and guess what, no one else has that name so it's super easy to find her.

I cherish my ignorance of stalking methods.

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Are you the Daniel Pryzbyz (pronounced Shibbish) that I went to high school with?

That last name doesn't have an 'e' in it?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haha Shibbish! Does his first name start with an A?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

If I remember correctly, we've had at a very similar post in this thread except the guy had already left his wife, found out the paternity test was positive, and wanted advice on how to get her back after she told him to go gently caress himself.

Yes, I remember that story. Does anyone recall it? Would love to read it again.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

I cherish my ignorance of stalking methods.

That last name doesn't have an 'e' in it?

I wasn't actually asking, just comparing the two.

MF_James posted:

Haha Shibbish! Does his first name start with an A?

Unless they hosed up his first name as bad as his last, nope.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Vargatron posted:

Future All-American and Heisman winner.

Secretly hoping for president

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I already go by my middle name, and a shortened version of it due to pronunciation reasons, to try and keep people from screwing it up. People see my name and want to pronounce it with a long e sound instead of an i. So I'll constantly be incorrectly called, like 'Teeger' instead of 'Tiger' (no, my name is not actually Tiger). When they pronounce it wrong, I have to ask 'do you think my parents would really name me that?!'

Transmogrifier posted:

Yes, I remember that story. Does anyone recall it? Would love to read it again.

Was that that stupid motherfucker that demanded a paternity test because one of his friends convinced him that like half of all men are raising children that aren't even really theirs and didn't even know it?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 13, 2017

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was that that stupid motherfucker that demanded a paternity test because one of his friends convinced him that like half of all men are raising children that aren't even really theirs and didn't even know it?

I think that was a different story, but either way they are both good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Transmogrifier posted:

Yeah they’re hardcore boners

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dong Tuna may be a beautiful ancestral name in your family but if you plan to live in the United States I'd probably not recommend that as the name you pick.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Transmogrifier posted:

Was it this knobjob?

Me [27 F] with my ex fiance [29 M] of 5 years, he is the father, wants our relationship back but I don't know...

quote:

So, my ex who we will call Derek and I met at a work related meetup, we are both software engineers. We hung out, we clicked and after a couple of weeks we officially started dating. I was smitten. He was the first man I ever actually loved and really wanted to spent my future with. After three years together we got engaged. He proposed and I said yes. I thought I would get the fairy tale ending that I never even knew I wanted.

So we start planning the wedding, start looking at buying a house, daydream about our future family, 3 kids, a dog, warm apple pie, the whoooole 9 yard. And then, 2 months before the wedding I find out I am pregnant.

It wasn't planned, we always used condoms but to be honest, to me it seemed like fate. I know this sounds stupid, but we were already on our way to (my dream) marriage and this little accident seemed to me like it was just destiny... So, that day, I go home, pick up a little something on the way, make us dinner with candles, because honestly I thought this called for a little celebration. I really fully believed he would be excited.

So he comes home, sees the dinner, is happy at first, we sit down, eat and then I say "I got a surprise for you". He was all giddy, since it wasn't to unsual for me to get him something small now and then, just because, but then I put the little something I got on the table. They're baby socks. In gender neutral mint green... Anyway, he looks at them, and his face just kinda goes from thinking about the meaning of this to just shock, disbelief and then raaaaaaage. My god did he flip his poo poo. After pretty much what feels like hours of screaming at me, calling me a whore and every name in the book, asking me how I could do this to him, how I could cheat on him bla bla bla. I just sit there in tears not knowing what the eff is going on. So, long story short: When he was in his early 20s he apparently found out he was infertile. When did he plan on telling me this? I don't know. So he is convinced that I must've cheated and this child is from my (non-existent) lover. He got all condescending and told me that I must have had some excersise and probably cheated on all my previous partners too, since I was so good at hiding it that he never even noticed. I told him he never noticed because I never cheated. Anyway, he said some really nasty things, packed his stuff and went to his parents. He told me I had two weeks to move out, then he wanted his apartment back. So 9 months of torture began.

I knew I would not abort. I (personally) feel like abortion is not something you can justify without having some good reasons and I just didn't... THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION FOR MY LIFE. I will never judge someone else by them and they are not up for discussion, I just feel I have to clarify for the sake of this post. Anyway, I had a stable job in a good career with benefits and where I live mothers are protected by the state, too.

So I went on with the pregnancy. The first 3 months I really desperately tried to get him to talk to me, to see reason. To tell him to get checked again by docs and that maybe his first diagnosis was wrong or inaccurate. He denied all my attempts and just kept calling me a cheater. Then he told all our friends and his parents "why we had broken up". That I got knocked up by another man and was an unfaithful whore. I lost a lot of people in that time that I would've called my friends. His parents who had never outright loved me jumped on that opportunity and gave me hell as well. So after a while I just gave up. I cried myself to sleep every night for a loooong time and had to go through all the pregnancy classes, checkups and all that good stuff alone. Then in the last couple of weeks before giving birth Derek contacted me. He said that he got checked by a different doctor and that apparently, though extremely slow, his swimmers weren't completely useless. That him conceiving a child naturally was super unlikely, but not impossible. So he asked for a paternity test. I was unwilling to get one during the pregnancy, since it had already been a little bit complicated and my doc didn't recommend it, but I said that as soon as baby was born I would sign the necessary documents and we could get it done.

So now baby is here. We had some sparse contact over the last couple of weeks before birth, but he wasn't there when I actually delivered my son and even though I put him on the birth certificate, for now I have full custody.

So he gets me the documents and I sign and after about two weeks the results come back... well, what do you think? He is the god drat father. That was 3 month ago. Ever since then he has begged and begged for me to take him back. He says he made the biggest mistake of his life, that he should've never doubted me, that he will do everything to make up for it and that he just wants to have a family with me. He went out of his way to make sure that all of the people he told about this got a corrected update of the whole situation, he has publicly apologised and made his parents apologise. He brought me flowers, baby toys, spent thousands on furniture for Baby's room and has all in all be wonderful and supportive.

And I want him back. I want it so badly. After all he has done I still love him. But I don't know if I can forgive him. He said horrible things, I lost so many friends, almost had to quit my job because of that and had to go through the pregnancy alone, even had to move because he threw me out of the apartment that we shared at the time and I just don't know if I can... Am I being selfish? I am denying my son the right to grow up in family with both parents and it feels like I should be able to get over the things in the past for him at least. I just still feel so humiliated... What do I do???

Edit: I am sorry if that didn't become clear in my post, I was never reluctant to do the paternity test, I just told him that I was going to do it after Baby was born which was only a short time to wait anymore anyway, from when he contacted me. I was 100% in favour of doing it, just not while Baby was still hatching.

Edit 2: Because a couple of people have brought it up: A prenatal PT is not legal in my country, except when ordered by court in case of crimes. So for me to get one I would have had to go to one of the neighbouring countries. Here is where the problem lies. That would've included some traveling. Planes were out of the question and my gyn highly recommend I do not take any trains or busses for several hours. Also, I would've not been covered by insurance and it would've been up to 2000 euros worth of money. I thought it was a little too much detail to put in the original, but people really seem to think this is a big deal. I still 100% agreed to let him get one AFTER Baby was there, which really wasn't a long wait anymore anyway...

TLDR: Fiance left when I was pregnant, suspected me of cheating. Child pops out, paternity test shows it's his, now he wants back together. What do I do?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

This went a completely different direction to what I was expecting:

I [23 M] have a rather big problem with my girlfriend [25 F] of three years dad [50-60 M].

quote:

My girlfriends dad is staying with us for a month from Russia. I bought his tickets as a surprise for her. He's been here for a week so far and we have only been alone together for a few hours at a time. Tonight my girlfriend is at work until late and it will be just me and him all evening. Here's where the problem lies.

I've ran out of Russian films with English subtitles and English films with Russian subtitles, we could play Monopoly but he's a Russian accountant and insists we do vodka shots every time we do a 'business deal'. Last time we played was great but I have work tomorrow and can't stay up doing shady back-door Monopoly deals over a bottle of Столи all night. I bought two watercolour painting kits with easels and the like so we'll try some painting tonight but he's here another 3 weeks and I'm fast running out of ideas of things to do that bypass the language barrier. My Russian is very basic and his English is very basic so we can at least establish some basic guttural conversation.

Other than that though I need ideas! My girlfriend will be back to her usual working schedule after New Years Eve and as much as I'm told her father enjoys my company and likewise, I refuse to let the man spend his holiday just sat around doing nothing. Any help welcome.

Tl;dr: I can't handle my vodka on week nights so I need other ideas of what to do with a grown Russian man while his daughter is at work.

Quick edit to mention we're in England and he's already been to the city last year so we've done the whole touristy thing last year.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was it this knobjob?

Me [27 F] with my ex fiance [29 M] of 5 years, he is the father, wants our relationship back but I don't know...

lmao that's the one. I hope she took him back and immediately cheated on him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Werong Bustope posted:

I [23 M] have a rather big problem with my girlfriend [25 F] of three years dad [50-60 M].

I guess you should give him state secrets to get him off your back

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was it this knobjob?

Eh, maybe this is a hot take and the dude definitely sounds like an extreme turbo douche, but someone finding out they can't have children getting a girl pregnant is liable to get loving angry and suspect foul play, realistically. I don't think the guy did anything most people wouldn't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lmao @ insisting on vodka shots after monopoly "deals", that's the sorta thing I invented this thread for

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Werong Bustope posted:

Your father in law owns, do the shady backroom Monopoly deals

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was it this knobjob?

It was not but that was a great find. I hope she has enough self respect to tell him to piss off. I don't feel like that's a situation you can really come back from if you're in her position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lmao that's the one. I hope she took him back and immediately cheated on him.

Marry him, own him for life. Nothing he could do would ever be enough.