Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

User0015 posted:

Maybe I'm not explaining my point properly. Forget the real life example and take it purely from a gameplay's mechanics perspective. Heavy armor doesn't restrict your bonus modifier, it sets your stat to an absolute value.

It doesn't do poo poo to your Dex value. Heavy armor just means it doesn't apply to your AC value. Dex mod still works normally for everything else and didn't modify your speed to begin with unless you mean initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

Mounted Combatant should let you ride a horse just, like, where ever.

It should let you ride anything that can bear your weight. Piggyback jousting, let’s go.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

It should let you ride anything that can bear your weight. Piggyback jousting, let’s go.

This is already how it works. You need a willing creature one size category larger than yourself.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Splicer posted:

I was making a joke.

It was a good joke. It's exactly what I'm talking about and is completely accurate, but obviously silly.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

User0015 posted:

It was a good joke. It's exactly what I'm talking about and is completely accurate, but obviously silly.

He was making a joke at your misunderstanding. Why do you still think armor does anything to your Dex score?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There is no universal law that says, 'Dex mod is added to AC score' and then heavy armor ignores it.

Some armor adds Dex mod to AC and some doesn't. In the same way that a finesse weapon allows you to add your Dex mod to attack and damage, it's not somehow logically inconsistent that others don't.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mendrian posted:

There is no universal law that says, 'Dex mod is added to AC score' and then heavy armor ignores it.

Some armor adds Dex mod to AC and some doesn't. In the same way that a finesse weapon allows you to add your Dex mod to attack and damage, it's not somehow logically inconsistent that others don't.

Isn't that exactly what it does? AC is universally 10+DEX and some armor goes on top of that but heavy doesn't? I might be missing your point though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mango sentinel posted:

He was making a joke at your misunderstanding. Why do you still think armor does anything to your Dex score?
What (I think) they were pointing out was that being bad at dodging things makes no difference if you were wearing heavy armour. I was jokingly rephrasing heavy armour to explain this by making it abide by the same rules as medium armour. Medium armour in the d&d universe is so heavy and poorly made that extremely dexterous people gain no extra benefit. Heavy armour is the same, except for everyone more dexterous than a limbless baby.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 13, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spiteski posted:

Isn't that exactly what it does? AC is universally 10+DEX and some armor goes on top of that but heavy doesn't? I might be missing your point though
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

No.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even as an ironic affectation that video's entire style is insufferable.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
No. 5e equipment and spells can now "set" your base AC which is slightly but mechanically distinct. Padded armor isn't +1 AC, it sets your base AC to 11. Similarly Mage Armor isn't +3 AC, it sets your AC to 13. You can't benefit from armor and mage armor at the same time. Similarly this is the reason that shields and certain magic items are additive because otherwise they wouldn't work.

Each piece of equipment (or lack thereof) specifies if you get to add your Dex and how much if you do.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Spiteski posted:

Y'all should really read the rules to this game sometime.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Had an interesting situation occur in an AL game last night. Our party came across our first magical item, exciting right? Well, in this case the item was a mithril breastplate. Not only does it's mithril quality not lend itself to immediate benefits, but all parties interested in medium armor already had good if not better armor already. Everyone was even further disheartened by the fact that it would count as a magical item, and automatically disbar them from any other magical items found until everyone had one. It made me think about roleplay vs gameplay, because obviously a party wouldn't just leave this on the ground if gameplay was no issue. This was an item taken straight from the TOA book by the way, not a roll on some random chart, they put it in there! I didn't think our group was 'powergaming', but here we are.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Deofuta posted:

Had an interesting situation occur in an AL game last night. Our party came across our first magical item, exciting right? Well, in this case the item was a mithril breastplate. Not only does it's mithril quality not lend itself to immediate benefits, but all parties interested in medium armor already had good if not better armor already. Everyone was even further disheartened by the fact that it would count as a magical item, and automatically disbar them from any other magical items found until everyone had one. It made me think about roleplay vs gameplay, because obviously a party wouldn't just leave this on the ground if gameplay was no issue. This was an item taken straight from the TOA book by the way, not a roll on some random chart, they put it in there! I didn't think our group was 'powergaming', but here we are.

5E SRD posted:

Mithral is a light, flexible metal. A mithral Chain Shirt or Breastplate can be worn under normal clothes. If the armor normally imposes disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks or has a Strength requirement, the mithral version of the armor doesn’t.
Breastplates do not impose disadvantage on stealth or have a strength requirement. The only use for this (if you already have half-plate) is you can wear it under your clothes for ye olde bulletproof vest trick. It's more a wondrous item than a magic armour.

Write 100GP on each of your character sheets and silently agree that you just sold it whenever it was convenient.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 13, 2017

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yup I stand corrected. It's never been an issue I just read the table and then still figure it in my head like I said. Easier to parse for me I guess.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
that's insane that no one would want mithril armor in case something better comes up. just refuse to be locked out of the divvying up of the next item, you don't have to have exactly equal amounts by number

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mango sentinel posted:

This is already how it works. You need a willing creature one size category larger than yourself.

I can piggyback other humans!

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

What (I think) they were pointing out was that being bad at dodging things makes no difference if you were wearing heavy armour. I was jokingly rephrasing heavy armour to explain this by making it abide by the same rules as medium armour. Medium armour in the d&d universe is so heavy and poorly made that extremely dexterous people gain no extra benefit. Heavy armour is the same, except for everyone more dexterous than a limbless baby.

Yup.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

mastershakeman posted:

that's insane that no one would want mithril armor in case something better comes up. just refuse to be locked out of the divvying up of the next item, you don't have to have exactly equal amounts by number

I *believe* this was explained as a limitation of adventure league, not DM fiat. A session previously we had fallen across an armory that included 6 half plates, and our one breastplate user had theirs from earlier in our travels. It was certainly an odd situation narrative wise!

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Deofuta posted:

I *believe* this was explained as a limitation of adventure league, not DM fiat. A session previously we had fallen across an armory that included 6 half plates, and our one breastplate user had theirs from earlier in our travels. It was certainly an odd situation narrative wise!

Adventurers League rules definitely lead to this kind of player-based logic for magic item acquisition. The basic rules are that 1) if everyone agrees on it, the item can go to anyone, regardless of item count, 2) if there's a dispute, it goes to the person with the least number of magic items, and 3) if people have equal numbers of magic items and there's no agreement, the person who gets it is determined randomly.

So, if you're playing with a consistent group, and you all agree to it, you can totally use a need/greed/pass system or whatever instead of "lowest magic item count get it". But as soon as you do a pickup game with some other table, or if someone with no magic items who is also a dick joins your group, they'll be able to grab the choice items easily.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"Light armor adds dex, medium adds half dex, heavy doesn't involve dex" is no more and no less intuitive then 3e's "armors scale up in their AC value but scale down on how much dex benefits you and armor type doesn't actually mean much" which again is no more and no less intuitive then 4e's "light armor adds dex, heavy armor does not," which in turn is no more and no less intuitive then AD&D's "armor type isn't even a thing, there's just armor, and you always add dexterity."

Like this ain't the first time it's changed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emy posted:

Adventurers League rules definitely lead to this kind of player-based logic for magic item acquisition. The basic rules are that 1) if everyone agrees on it, the item can go to anyone, regardless of item count, 2) if there's a dispute, it goes to the person with the least number of magic items, and 3) if people have equal numbers of magic items and there's no agreement, the person who gets it is determined randomly.

So, if you're playing with a consistent group, and you all agree to it, you can totally use a need/greed/pass system or whatever instead of "lowest magic item count get it". But as soon as you do a pickup game with some other table, or if someone with no magic items who is also a dick joins your group, they'll be able to grab the choice items easily.
The best answer is "Give it to an NPC".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If the players want in AL can't they freely trade Magic items around.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

There's not going to be any bonus action struggle since, when available, the bonus attack will always be the best option. On that note, the smite spells are actually a bad use of slots for paladins.
If you go hexblade you only need 1 level to use CHA for melee.
But since you have what, 15-16 Strength? You're better served sticking to Paladin till 6 for Aura of Protection before any multiclassing.

I don't know about Hexblade 1. Others suggested against it and pointed more toward tomelock.

Edit - I lied. They definitely recommended Hexblade 1 and a quarterstaff with PAM, which is what I have.

User0015 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 13, 2017

az
Dec 2, 2005

Question about multiclassing, isn't it sensible to go for four levels in your dip class instead of three when it means being able to grab another asi right there?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

MonsterEnvy posted:

At the cost of some downtime days and it has to be of the same rarity, but yeah.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

MonsterEnvy posted:

In exchange for items of like rarity, yes. You can’t give someone an item, nor can you trade a rare for an uncommon. You must also spend 15 downtime days to “meet” the other character to make the trade, but you can skip that if you’re at the same table as the other player.

The limitation makes sense: if you could give items away or there was no cost for trading them then you could swap your best items freely between characters and kit out your level 1 newbie with the legendary items from the level 20 monster you are retiring because there’s no more high-level content for you to play.

e: :argh:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
You can trade items while at the same table for no downtime, downtime is used mostly when you trade between your own characters. Items must be of the same rarity

EDIT: :argh:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

az posted:

Question about multiclassing, isn't it sensible to go for four levels in your dip class instead of three when it means being able to grab another asi right there?
Sometimes it's better to get your main class features a level earlier, and if you're going to 20 it means locking yourself out of the level 17.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

az posted:

Depends on your overall build and when you're doing it. Skipping a third ASI can be pretty inconsequential, skipping your first can be pretty rough. Also more than skipping that ASI, most classes get really key stuff at 5-6 and you're gonna feel really underpowered if everyone else is using big core abilities/attacking twice/3rd level spells and you've got nothing comparable for a while.

The exception to this is blaster Warlock which has it's gameplan kinda locked down at level 2, and cantrips scale on caster level, not class level.

Edit somehow decided to answer a different question mid post. Don't go 4 levels if it locks you out of 9th level spells or an important capstone like Quivering Palm.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 14, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You can trade items while at the same table for no downtime, downtime is used mostly when you trade between your own characters. Items must be of the same rarity

and you're not allowed to steal items or take them off your dead party members, right? the AL limitations are ridiculous in trying to balance items between unbalanceable characters

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

mastershakeman posted:

and you're not allowed to steal items or take them off your dead party members, right? the AL limitations are ridiculous in trying to balance items between unbalanceable characters

Why would being able to steal items from other players be a good thing in an AL game?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kaysette posted:

Why would being able to steal items from other players be a good thing in an AL game?

I think you're supposed to take characters along to different games, so if a character has way more magic gear than they should it can be overpowered.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

You can lend items to other players, but only during that session. So the wizard that somehow wound up with a magic sword can lend it to the poor starving fighter to make up for the difference at that table.

I rarely see this in practice.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Maybe it differs between communities, but I thought you couldn't trade stuff between your own characters?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Does the find steed summon use up player actions when you command it to act unmounted?

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Depends on your overall build and when you're doing it. Skipping a third ASI can be pretty inconsequential, skipping your first can be pretty rough. Also more than skipping that ASI, most classes get really key stuff at 5-6 and you're gonna feel really underpowered if everyone else is using big core abilities/attacking twice/3rd level spells and you've got nothing comparable for a while.

The exception to this is blaster Warlock which has it's gameplan kinda locked down at level 2, and cantrips scale on caster level, not class level.

Edit somehow decided to answer a different question mid post. Don't go 4 levels if it locks you out of 9th level spells or an important capstone like Quivering Palm.

I don't have my book handy; are cantrips based off character level, or caster level? I thought it was character, so even a two level dip in Warlock keeps Eldritch Blast at full if you go Fighter the rest of the way.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I meant character level, yes.

2 Warlock/18 Fighter will Eldrich Blast just as good as 20 Warlock.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

AlphaDog posted:

Was that it? I thought it was a tweet that was removed and replaced a couple of hours later. I'm probably wrong though.

Oh, I got mixed up. The quiz I was thinking of was posted on the Sage Advice blog, but that's not an official WotC blog. It simply reposts the Sage Advice tweets for convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

az posted:

Does the find steed summon use up player actions when you command it to act unmounted?

No, it is an intelligent being that acts on instinct and just happens to do whatever you want because of its bond with you.