Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Guess I'm the only one that thought the animated TDKR was really good. Glad to see MoS getting some support around here.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Dark Knight Returns: the cartoon, is a really good piece of animation. Judging it by the comic is, obviously, stupid as hell. Not coincidentally it released just the year before Snyder's Man of Steel...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My fave example of this is in Avengers, when everyone is given a DHS folder that says “surprise! Aliens exist and here’s a bunch of footage of Thor, the Marvel version of Superman who is literally a god. BTW it turns out that Old Norse was the correct religion all along.”

And then it just cuts to five minutes later and nobody gave a poo poo.

No one changing their mind in the face of evidence sounds about right for America, actually.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

RBA Starblade posted:

No one changing their mind in the face of evidence sounds about right for America, actually.

That's what the Avengers movies present.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Post-World War II history is a lie concocted by Nazi illuminati.

This is never brought up again.

The movie ends in deflationary and frankly ludicrous "blow up 3 sky-ships and all the Nazis leave the government! Yay!" videogame territory. It's moronic. No one cares, they're too busy analyzing the 17 ways that Superman's eyeline indicates he doesn't care about killing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It’s one moment of Whedon having a good stroke but still loving it up for a quip. Captain America sees Gods, Man has made techno armor capable of putting him on even footing fighting a God and Man’s physical ID made manifest due to scientific research and cosmic happenstance leads to Hulk smashing a God and you have Cap quip “There’s only one God ma’am and he doesn’t dress like that.”

That’s the sum of such profound finding.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"So Cap, how did meeting God feel?"

"...itchy"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The movie ends in deflationary and frankly ludicrous "blow up 3 sky-ships and all the Nazis leave the government! Yay!" videogame territory. It's moronic. No one cares, they're too busy analyzing the 17 ways that Superman's eyeline indicates he doesn't care about killing.

I hated this because at the end they do make a pretty bold move in that they have Captain America perform 9/11 on the setting's equivalent of the NSA headquarters. Like to their credit by MCU standards it's a pretty game changing ending, they just didn't actually change the game in any of the other movies. The worst was how then on top of that Tony almost destroys all life on earth by creating Ultron/etc. out of his paranoia and love of high tech military stuff and so he gets like this massive warehouse in upstate NY that the Avengers can use as their HQ and Nick Fury is just sort of flying around on a helicarrier like no big SHIELD is gone but back and I'm not part of it but the governments of the world are cool with my having access to this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well it's 9/11 on a mostly empty building of government spooks fighting an internal coup but yeah I get what you're saying.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Well it's 9/11 on a mostly empty building of government spooks fighting an internal coup but yeah I get what you're saying.

I, for one, am appreciative of Marvel's attempt to reclaim kamikaze attacks for the white man.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/940948334021312512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

In the dream they took me to light.

A beautiful lie.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
DCEU movies have consequences, one consequence is that nobody likes them and Justice League is an incredible disaster creatively and commercially

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fair

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I hated this because at the end they do make a pretty bold move in that they have Captain America perform 9/11 on the setting's equivalent of the NSA headquarters. Like to their credit by MCU standards it's a pretty game changing ending, they just didn't actually change the game in any of the other movies. The worst was how then on top of that Tony almost destroys all life on earth by creating Ultron/etc. out of his paranoia and love of high tech military stuff and so he gets like this massive warehouse in upstate NY that the Avengers can use as their HQ and Nick Fury is just sort of flying around on a helicarrier like no big SHIELD is gone but back and I'm not part of it but the governments of the world are cool with my having access to this.

I can't think of any movie series that has profound continuity between movies. Even Ridley Scott has spent the twilight years boring down on his movies enough that continuity is really just a profound joke.

You can only take these movies on their own really.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I can't think of any movie series that has profound continuity between movies.

I can think of several that constantly advertise themselves on this premise. They all start with

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

McSpanky posted:

I can think of several that constantly advertise themselves on this premise. They all start with

:thejoke:
Advertising is a lie

BttF had neat continuity

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

More like BttF had continuity ERRORS, AM I RIGHT?

Don't think I don't see your sleeve button going from unclasped to clasped between takes, McFly! What is this horse poo poo?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

got any sevens posted:

:thejoke:
Advertising is a lie

Well duh, but Marvel is egregiously disingenuous about it in a way that's only possible when the production does in fact meticulously track everything, in order to know what to keep, what to ignore and when to do so for maximum desired effect. Only a historian can be an effective revisionist.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Guess I'm the only one that thought the animated TDKR was really good. Glad to see MoS getting some support around here.

The TDKR cartoon is basically BVS but actually good, so of course it is hated here.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

The TDKR cartoon is basically BVS but actually good, so of course it is hated here.
What was good about it? Why would someone ever watch it instead of reading the comic?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Other than "I believe you", does BvS Batman ever quote any other lines from Dark Knight Returns? I'm curious because he definitely has the Miller aesthetic and fights Superman but it's in a very different context, IMO.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Other than "I believe you", does BvS Batman ever quote any other lines from Dark Knight Returns? I'm curious because he definitely has the Miller aesthetic and fights Superman but it's in a very different context, IMO.

the "my parents taught me a different lesson.... dying for no reason at all" line is in DKR

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DC kinda shot themselves in the foot with those DKR and Year One adaptations and now they're having trouble selling the graphics novels because people just watch the movies instead. Who knew being too accurate to the source material could have such adverse effects?

(Weller as Batman is fantastic casting.)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
the Christopher Drake DKR soundtrack is pretty good.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
the main theme is on my workout playlist plus a bunch of hans zimmer and Yuki Kajiura stuff

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I really liked the old school comic title, not the new movie-verse one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Martman posted:

What was good about it? Why would someone ever watch it instead of reading the comic?

That's a pretty stupid question I think.

"Hey, they're making this movie from a comic I like" seems like a good reason. Why would I want to see Watchmen, 300 or Sin City when there's already a comic? Also, the fact that the comic is like 30 years old and maybe a lot of people haven't read it so there's an entire generation of a potential new audience.

I thought the animation and the acting were terrific. Plus I still love the comic. I'd enjoy and Astro City or Kindom Come animated film. Unsure why that's a weird thing to desire seeing.

what an odd post.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

DC kinda shot themselves in the foot with those DKR and Year One adaptations and now they're having trouble selling the graphics novels because people just watch the movies instead. Who knew being too accurate to the source material could have such adverse effects?

(Weller as Batman is fantastic casting.)

did they really though? either way dc's getting money out of you

like, they're probably having trouble selling the graphic novels because they're graphic novels

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well they definitely want you hook you in to buy the monthly comics. It's quite the gateway drug. They do those movie/graphic novel combos though. Dunno how much those help them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

from a business sense it's hard for me to picture the actual funnybooks as anything beyond a testbed for what new characters/arcs/etc could show up 5 years from now in movies, games, and tv shows

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Davros1 posted:

Not according to the DC threads, if one mentions they didn't like certain portrayals in Snyder's films.

Pages back, but just wanted to say the difference is that Snyder's films are the correct interpretation of Superman, and the "not my Superman" claims are ironic in not understanding their "favorite" character. Raimi spidermans shoves aside character attributes to stream line the believability of a man being able to shot web. And marvel smoothed over others to fit him onto their conveyor belt.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

bushisms.txt posted:

Pages back, but just wanted to say the difference is that Snyder's films are the correct interpretation of Superman, and the "not my Superman" claims are ironic in not understanding their "favorite" character. Raimi spidermans shoves aside character attributes to stream line the believability of a man being able to shot web. And marvel smoothed over others to fit him onto their conveyor belt.

Another thing is Reeve's Superman was confident, self assured and more complete a person. His entire demeanor had a confident "I got this handled and am in complete control of the situation." vibe which relaxed people. His Superman was in a world soon after the space age and around the Silver Age Superman.

Cavill's Superman is in a different world with modern convention thinking where he's going to be raised up and brought down based on the whims of how the mob feels or projects themselves onto him like a lot of modern celebrities or Christ figure. Snyder's Superman is a true Clark Kent interpretation, a good man doing his best to deal and bring the world forward with him on his shoulders but he fails to live up to what people want. So he's imperfect because of that. He can fail, he's not in control of the situation, he's inexperienced and he's facing challenges like Zod and participating in the complete destruction and extinction of his world and species. Superman 2 didn't exactly deal with that complexity as it was a bit more black and white. Hence "Not my Superman!" because he isn't the ideal in someone's head that they can rest everything on. That's also what his Father feared, when would he be ready to go out into the world and be mature enough to deal with it. Instead he toughs it through doing his best but his best is not good enough for some.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a pretty stupid question I think.

"Hey, they're making this movie from a comic I like" seems like a good reason. Why would I want to see Watchmen, 300 or Sin City when there's already a comic? Also, the fact that the comic is like 30 years old and maybe a lot of people haven't read it so there's an entire generation of a potential new audience.

I thought the animation and the acting were terrific. Plus I still love the comic. I'd enjoy and Astro City or Kindom Come animated film. Unsure why that's a weird thing to desire seeing.

what an odd post.
I meant that question to be particular to the TDKR cartoon, not adaptations in general (although it applies to lots of the DC animation in the last 10 years or so). DC has been watering poo poo down for their animated movies for years now, they all just seem to improve nothing on the originals while also making them significantly blander.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gatts posted:

Another thing is Reeve's Superman was confident, self assured and more complete a person. His entire demeanor had a confident "I got this handled and am in complete control of the situation." vibe which relaxed people. His Superman was in a world soon after the space age and around the Silver Age Superman.

Cavill's Superman is in a different world with modern convention thinking where he's going to be raised up and brought down based on the whims of how the mob feels or projects themselves onto him like a lot of modern celebrities or Christ figure. Snyder's Superman is a true Clark Kent interpretation, a good man doing his best to deal and bring the world forward with him on his shoulders but he fails to live up to what people want. So he's imperfect because of that. He can fail, he's not in control of the situation, he's inexperienced and he's facing challenges like Zod and participating in the complete destruction and extinction of his world and species. Superman 2 didn't exactly deal with that complexity as it was a bit more black and white. Hence "Not my Superman!" because he isn't the ideal in someone's head that they can rest everything on. That's also what his Father feared, when would he be ready to go out into the world and be mature enough to deal with it. Instead he toughs it through doing his best but his best is not good enough for some.

What's funny is, Reeve's Superman is not that dissimilar to Synder's take right up until he went into the Fortress of Solitude for like, a year and came out THE SUPERMAN

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

you'd better put me on whatever weird tape trading listserv you're using to distribute this

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Could you splice in a little extra kimmel in there? They delete his scenes in the theatrical cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8iRvQdSGA

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I love this moment so much. It's beautiful in motion. Lex is the best part of the movie.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

you'd better put me on whatever weird tape trading listserv you're using to distribute this

Same

Can we talk about how Lex mirrors Jorl-el's theft of the codex from MoS during his initial visit to the ship, even down to the dialogue? These nerds don't deserve Snyder.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Some of those shots remind me of a 50s type sci fi movie.

• Locked thread