Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Natural 20 posted:

Okay, I want to watch New Japan because the streaming pile of constant poo poo that is WWE is making me sad.

What do I do and where do I start?

Also because I adore Jericho.

Basically all of their big events for the past 5 or so years are worth watching, but if you're getting hyped for this year's Wrestle Kingdom maybe start with last year's (11) and hit all the big ones since then. Often the undercard isn't too exciting so you can skip to the title matches in the second half.

Specifically I'd recommend:

WK11
New Beginning In Sapporo (last three matches)
New Beginning in Osaka (last four matches)
Sakura Genesis (last three matches)
Wrestling Dontaku (Omega/Ishii)
Best of Super Junior Finals (Kushida/Ospreay)
Dominion (last four matches)
G1 Special in USA Night 1 (top three matches)
G1 Special in USA Night 2 (Omega/Ishii, Bucks/RPG Vice)
G1 Climax Tournament (too many to list, but Okada/Omega was great again)
G1 Climax Final (Omega/Naito, Bucks/Taguchi Japan)
Destruction in Hiroshima (Tanahashi/ZSJ)
Destruction in Kobe (Omega/Juice)
King of Pro Wrestling (Roppongi 3K/Taguchi Japan, last three matches)
Power Struggle (last three matches)

Once you get a feel for who you like, you'll have a better idea of what to skip and what to watch. Okada, Omega, Naito, Tanahashi, Ishii, Kushida, and Hiromu are some of my faves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

There's a youtube channel called Rasslin' Rantin' that has a series explaining New Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6tuEOOMCv0

It's pretty good, and it's a pretty quick way to get an idea of how the company presents itself and how it's different from the WWE.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Takuan posted:

There's a youtube channel called Rasslin' Rantin' that has a series explaining New Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6tuEOOMCv0

It's pretty good, and it's a pretty quick way to get an idea of how the company presents itself and how it's different from the WWE.

A channel run by a guy named Showbuckle has some good NJPW stuff, too.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Showbuckle's videos are great too, though not as introductory-level as Rasslin' Rantin'.

Though his video on Tetsuya Naito is a great way to get an understanding of the history and significance of this year's Wrestle Kingdom main event.
https://youtu.be/VZgZEgCkrs0

Takuan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 13, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Takuan posted:

Showbuckle's videos are great too, though not as introductory-level as Rasslin' Rantin'.

Though his video on Tetsuya Naito is a great way to get an understanding of the history and significance of this year's Wrestle Kingdom main event.
https://youtu.be/VZgZEgCkrs0

Yeah, it's by far the video I learned the most from. The Tanahashi vs Okada one is great, too though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Since they talked about it on WOR I caught up with the Okada/Slex match in MCW which was a fun watch, the match is pretty impressive for what it is and it's fun to see the crowds reaction to Okada:

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_archive_71_1_01

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

Okay, I want to watch New Japan because the streaming pile of constant poo poo that is WWE is making me sad.

What do I do and where do I start?

Also because I adore Jericho.

If you just want to know what to watch to be properly prepared for Wrestle Kingdom 12:

Jr Tag Title, RP3K -c- vs. The Young Bucks: G1 Finals, Young Bucks-c- vs Taguchi Japan (Ryusuke Taguchi and Ricochet); King of Pro Wrestling, Taguchi Japan -c- vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO and YOH); Power Struggle, Super Jr. Tag Final - Taguchi Japan "Super 69" (Taguchi/ACH) vs RP3K

Jr. Heavyweight Title, Marty Scurll -c- vs. Will Ospreay vs. KUSHIDA vs Hiromu Takahashi: Invasion Attack 2016, KUSHIDA -c- vs Ospreay; WK11, KUSHIDA -c- vs. Takahashi; Sakura Genesis 2017, Takahashi -c- vs. KUSHIDA; Best of The Super Jr. Finals, KUSHIDA vs. Will Ospreay; DOMINION from Osaka-jo Hall 6.11, Takahashi -c- vs. KUSHIDA; King of Pro Wrestling, KUSHIDA -c- vs. Ospreay; Power Struggle, Ospreay -c- vs. Scurll

NEVER Openweight Title, Title vs. Hair, Minoru Suzuki -c- vs. Hirooki Goto: WK11, Katsuyori Shibata-c- vs. Goto; Road to Wrestling Dontaku 4/27, Goto-c- vs. Suzuki; DOMINION from Osaka-jo Hall 6.11, Suzuki-c- vs. Goto; World Tag League Finals, Goto/Ishii/Yano/YOSHI-HASHI vs. Suzuki, Killer Elite Squad, El Desperado

Heavy Tag Title, Killer Elite Squad (Davey Boy Smith Jr. and Lance Archer)-c- vs. SANADA and EVIL: Destruction in Kobe 2017, KES vs. War Machine-c- vs. Guerillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa); World Tag League Final, GOD vs. SANADA and EVIL

Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Title, Cody-c- vs. Kota Ibushi: Power Struggle backstage comments

Intercontinental Title, Hiroshi Tanahashi-c- vs. "Switchblade" Jay White: Power Struggle 2017, Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi

US Heavyweight Title, Alpha vs Omega - "The Cleaner" Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho: G1 Special in USA Night 2, US Title Finals - Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii; Destruction in Kobe, Kenny Omega-c- vs. Juice Robinson; Power Struggle, Kenny Omega-c- vs. Beretta; World Tag League Finals, The Elite (Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks) vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO, YOH, and their "director" Rocky Romero)

IWGP World Heavyweight Title, "The Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada-c- vs. Testuya Naito:

These I need to break down into literal individual lists.

Naito:
"The Fall and Rise of Tetsuya Naito" by Showbuckle on Youtube
Wrestle Kingdom 8, challenging Okada for IWGP title
Wrestle Kingdom 8, Shinsuke Nakamura defending against Tanahashi for IC Title
Dominion 7.15 (2015), w/ Tomoaki Honma vs. Yujiro Takahashi and Bad Luck Fale
New Japan Cup 2016
Invasion Attack, challenging Okada for IWGP title
Dominion 6.19, defending against Okada for IWGP title
G1 Climax 26 B Block Finals, vs. Omega
Destruction in Kobe 2016, challenging Michael Elgin for IC title
Wrestle Kingdom 11, defending against Hiroshi Tanahashi for IC title
Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017, defending against Juice Robinson for IC title
Dominion 6.11, defending against Tanahashi for IC title
G1 A Block Finals, vs. Tanahashi
G1 Climax Finals, vs. Omega
King of Pro-Wrestling, vs Tomohiro Ishii for Guaranteed IWGP Title Shot At Wrestle Kingdom

Okada:
King of Pro-Wrestling 2016, defending against Naomichi Marufuji for IWGP Title
Wrestle Kingdom 11, defending against Omega for IWGP Title
The New Beginning in Sapporo, defending against Suzuki for IWGP Title
NJPW 45th Anniversary, defending against Tiger Mask W for IWGP Title
Sakura Genesis, defending against Shibata for IWGP Title
Wrestling Dontaku 2017, defending against Bad Luck Fale for IWGP Title
Dominion 6.11, defending against Omega for IWGP Title
G1 Special in USA, defending against Cody for IWGP Title
G1 Climax 8.5, vs. EVIL
G1 Climax 8.8, vs. Suzuki
G1 B Block Finals, vs. Omega
King of Pro-Wrestling, defending against EVIL for IWGP Title

Beyond that, he and Naito have had a bunch of tags, usually Okada/Ospreay vs. Naito/Hiromu, through World Tag League, where many times Naito caught Okada with Destino for a win, but now Okada has found a counter for it into a Million Dollar Dream with him locking his legs around the waist to turn it into a ground submission.

Going back to WK8 for Naito shows the beginning of the end of his face "Stardust Genius" persona; if you want to see him get Tranquilo, you jump forward to Dominion 2015. And yes, this is all part of one larger story of Naito flopping as the Tanahashi replacement in 2014, pulling a Rocky Maivia into The Rock sort of character shift upon returning after an excursion to Mexico and being brought into Los Ingobernables, and basically bit by bit dealing with obstacles and eventually overcoming them as well as quelling the demons of his 2014 run by skewering Tanahashi and having the run he has with the IC belt.

Okada's is much more straightforward because it's "this is the highest performing year of a world champ maybe ever and boy has it been him going through the ringer". By the time you finish his defense against Shibata, you'll be wondering how he goes through five more defenses (including one that Meltzer has called the greatest match of all time - after having called the WK11 one the best of all time) PLUS the G1 schedule without really missing a beat. They've played up his neck issues for much of the year, which conveniently slides into Naito's Destino.

You don't need to know anything about the New Japan Rumble besides "people with zero place elsewhere on the card and legends and Cheeseburger, pre-show battle royal", and there'll also probably be a NEVER Trios Tag title match which I'm betting will be Bad Luck Fale and GOD (winning the titles on a Road To show) doing a gauntlet match against a Taguchi Japan team, a Suzuki-gun team, and I'm betting Ishii/Toru Yano/YOSHI-HASHI from CHAOS. And maybe New Japan 3rd Generation vs. remaining Bullet Club members in an eight-man tag.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 17, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Tanahashi and Okada vs Naito and Switchblade wouldn't gently caress things up.

It wouldn't other than the fact that they don't do that poo poo at all even with face factions and the first time Okada and Tanahashi team up should be on a bigger show.

Which made me think about how rare it is for unaligned heels to be in NJPW and there's two in the top three matches on this show (one freelance and one main force). The last time I remember an unaligned heel in a major singles match was the gracie stuff in 2014.

Jericho's not sticking around for more than maybe one or two more big matches at most. Jay White otoh I'm sure will join or form a faction on New Year's Dash. Where do you guys think he's most likely to end up?

The two most likely possibilies to me seem to be:

1. "Silver Lion" BC faction after a split, especially now that Kenny's being portrayed as an outright face in the Jericho feud
2. Suzuki-gun. ZSJ's only an occasional guy which leaves the old, injury prone, and limited Takashi Iizuka as the only full time heavyweight besides MiSu in the stable

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

It wouldn't other than the fact that they don't do that poo poo at all even with face factions and the first time Okada and Tanahashi team up should be on a bigger show.

Which made me think about how rare it is for unaligned heels to be in NJPW and there's two in the top three matches on this show (one freelance and one main force). The last time I remember an unaligned heel in a major singles match was the gracie stuff in 2014.

Jericho's not sticking around for more than maybe one or two more big matches at most. Jay White otoh I'm sure will join or form a faction on New Year's Dash. Where do you guys think he's most likely to end up?

The two most likely possibilies to me seem to be:

1. "Silver Lion" BC faction after a split, especially now that Kenny's being portrayed as an outright face in the Jericho feud
2. Suzuki-gun. ZSJ's only an occasional guy which leaves the old, injury prone, and limited Takashi Iizuka as the only full time heavyweight besides MiSu in the stable

With the way Gedo books I can't see Okada and Tanahashi teaming up in the main event of a major show as a major deal.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

With the way Gedo books I can't see Okada and Tanahashi teaming up in the main event of a major show as a major deal.

I know modern New Japan is hardly '90s All Japan, but that would still be a cool 2nd or 3rd from the top match on like a New Beginning B show especially since neither of those guys may be in the title scene

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/BannerComedy/status/941039767386439680

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, he talked about it on KTT, he busted some cartilage in his rib between the tumble with the guardrail and the Codebreaker as well as messed up his neck (which was already a little screwed up) on taking the move from Chris.

Seeing since it's been well over a decade since he took a bump, not a surprise

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jericho got held back by rocky and gedo and he went to karaoke with ospreay so it's just a matter of time before he gets the (CHAOS) chyron

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Does Switchblade have any faction affiliation? If not, are there any other unaffiliated heels on the current NJPW roster? I might be missing some, but as far as I can tell everyone fits into CHAOS, Taguchi Japan, LIJ, Bullet Club, Suzuki-Gun, or the face remnants of of the NJPW main force that didn't get absorbed into Taguchi Japan

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Does Switchblade have any faction affiliation? If not, are there any other unaffiliated heels on the current NJPW roster? I might be missing some, but as far as I can tell everyone fits into CHAOS, Taguchi Japan, LIJ, Bullet Club, Suzuki-Gun, or the face remnants of of the NJPW main force that didn't get absorbed into Taguchi Japan

nope. as I was speculating I'm asssuming he gets one at New Year's Dash. the last time they had an unaligned heel was early ingobernable Naito in the main force and being a sullen dick to his partners for a couple months before LIJ began in earnest

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
does taguchi japan actually count as a faction now

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tokyo Sports awards courtesy of STRIGGA:

MVP: Tetsuya Naito
Best Tag Team: Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa
Best Bout: Okada vs Omega (1/4)
Technique: Hideki Suzuki
Fighting Sprit: Katsuyori Shibata
Special Award: YAMATO
Women's GP: Io Shirai
Rookie of the year: Yuma Aoyagi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm going to be disappointed with myself for hyping myself up for something that will probably never happen, but I've been thinking about the prospect of post Wrestle Kingdom being an increasingly infuriated Chris Jericho going up against Tranquilo champion Naito and I want to see it so badly.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

checksin posted:

it's the best one

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

checksin posted:

They just dropped the dopest windbreaker so yes. Also, the joy of Taguchi Japan is that the only requirement to be a member is to accept amazing coaching.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Does New Year Dash stream live NJPW World?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

iirc it was free last year so maybe?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It does and it'll be free again

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nice, i have both days booked off work :unsmith:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I'm going to be disappointed with myself for hyping myself up for something that will probably never happen, but I've been thinking about the prospect of post Wrestle Kingdom being an increasingly infuriated Chris Jericho going up against Tranquilo champion Naito and I want to see it so badly.

I mean, Jericho does have an opening in the Fozzy tour that happens to fit Strong Style Evolved, and the way he's talked to Naito on Twitter does feel like a storyline...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I mean, Jericho does have an opening in the Fozzy tour that happens to fit Strong Style Evolved, and the way he's talked to Naito on Twitter does feel like a storyline...

:pray:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't want Jericho feuding with LIJ because I'm afraid of what will happen to Daryl :ohdear:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Thauros posted:

Tokyo Sports awards courtesy of STRIGGA:

MVP: Tetsuya Naito
Best Tag Team: Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa
Technique: Hideki Suzuki
Fighting Sprit: Katsuyori Shibata
Special Award: YAMATO
Women's GP: Io Shirai
Rookie of the year: Yuma Aoyagi

OK with this although Naito isnt getting my MVP/Flair award.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Can someone please tell me in north American time when WK is so i dont book the wrong day off again. Please and thank you.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

You want to reserve Thursday the fourth off. it'll start at about 2 AM Eastern time/11 PM Wednesday night on the west coast

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

Can someone please tell me in north American time when WK is so i dont book the wrong day off again. Please and thank you.

3:00am eastern time on the morning of thursday january 4th

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

oatgan posted:

3:00am eastern time on the morning of thursday january 4th

Is the Rumble in the 2 am hour or will I get another hour of sleep that day as I try to watch?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

doors are at 1:30, belltime is listed as 3 but I'm guessing that's main card and not the preshow with the battle royal and whatever insane sponsored content they have this year

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I assumed as much.

Time to see how well I can hack my sleep. If it wasn't for NYE this would be easier.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Benne posted:

I don't want Jericho feuding with LIJ because I'm afraid of what will happen to Daryl :ohdear:

i want jericho to put daryl in the walls and then next time we see him he has tiny crutches

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

oatgan posted:

doors are at 1:30, belltime is listed as 3 but I'm guessing that's main card and not the preshow with the battle royal and whatever insane sponsored content they have this year

oh yeah don't forget guys, if you bought tickets through that external outlet NJPW recommended, you have to actually pick up your tickets at gate 22
don't be me, the guy who is absolutely going to forget and try to show up at another gate with a dumb qr code on his phone

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Thauros posted:

I'm surprised by how much I care that they picked 1/4 and not 6/11.

Glowing fingers indicate who's going over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm in the Dominion crowd because I thought it was the best of the three but can't complain about the Dome being #1

Also I have to work the day of the Dome and seriously 100% wanting to call in so I can watch it live

• Locked thread