Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Oh my god 9S, a bomb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Zoe posted:

...I was half expecting A2 to wander in again and shank the last 2B model in front of him...

That would've been hilarious.

How does this keep HAPPENING?!?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

the B stands for bomb

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

...! posted:

Surely that was the last thing the machine network can do to gently caress with 9S...

...Oh wait, I already did the JamesonLaugh.gif joke.

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.

McDragon posted:

the B stands for bomb

They told 2B she was a sex bomb, that was a terrible mistake. An android was sure to take it litterally.

Also, Number of times 9S gets owned: +1.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

The Dark Id posted:

He gazed upon these 2Bs. Three routes it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden under that Emil mask. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved this poo poo.

:allears:

And now the cycle is complete. 9S may die freely in any number of apocalypses to sate Overlord Yoko Taro's every whim.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zoe posted:

Oh jeez that laugh. :(

Really starting to wonder too just what the hell is motivating the machine network here. I had a theory before when the virus first showed up that it was all going to turn out to be related to what he did in the Route A ending, but what they're doing with these towers goes far beyond that and would have taken preplanning and massive amounts of resources.

Wouldn't you dunk him if you could? Repeatedly?

Edit: You just know the machine network just had to chuckle when it came across the stash of spare 2B bodies.

...! fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 13, 2017

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

...! posted:

Wouldn't you dunk him if you could? Repeatedly?

I'm concerned that whatever the machines' plan is has been completely sidetracked by mission creep from Project Swirlie here.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
That's what you get for reminding 2B to enable her self destruct, 9S.

That is what you get.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

I'm concerned that whatever the machines' plan is has been completely sidetracked by mission creep from Project Swirlie here.

I'm beginning to wonder if they have any plan other than Project Swirlie at this point.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, so that's what else he had to lose.

His partner.

Again.

A dozen times over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now he has a whole bunch of 2b parts, he can build himself a new one.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Supersonic Shine posted:

His partner.

Again.

A dozen times over.

Hey, remember Auguste and Frederich?

Now, that's foreshadowing.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

The Dark Id posted:

He gazed upon these 2Bs. Three routes it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden under that Emil mask. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved this poo poo.
:golfclap:

The explosion might not necessarily have killed him, but the old 9S is definitely gone now.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
My problem here is that it's TOO calculated. One of the primary themes is that all sides and individuals have little idea of their own motivations and are just doing it by rote, let alone others. Heck, Adam and Eve were the most functional machines; and their best efforts at understanding somebody else was dressup and having tea-parties.

Suddenly we have the Network doing a calculated assault on 9S's psyche based on his experiences. Where did the understanding to do this come from?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Andyzero posted:

My problem here is that it's TOO calculated. One of the primary themes is that all sides and individuals have little idea of their own motivations and are just doing it by rote, let alone others. Heck, Adam and Eve were the most functional machines; and their best efforts at understanding somebody else was dressup and having tea-parties.

Suddenly we have the Network doing a calculated assault on 9S's psyche based on his experiences. Where did the understanding to do this come from?

The understanding was already there. Not sure why you think it wasn't. :confused:

The machine network became self-aware and then killed its alien masters because it didn't like them. It has an extremely high level of intelligence. It has emotions and fully understands them. Adam and Eve were merely underlings.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

I was going to say that he hasn't been forced to murder 2B himself, but then I remembered the last resource unit.

As God is my witness, I thought they'd only do it once.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like what Dark ID did with 9s dialog face lol.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Andyzero posted:

My problem here is that it's TOO calculated. One of the primary themes is that all sides and individuals have little idea of their own motivations and are just doing it by rote, let alone others.
You could make this observation about "21B" as well. I think there's a certain element of suspension of disbelief involved because the narrative is trying to tell you something about 9S here rather than the machines, but yeah, so many coincidences start to look like intention.

Of course, that is the joke, right? After all, they're just machines. Nothing they do has any meaning.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

As God is my witness, I thought they'd only do it once.

The Machine Network knows when the audience wants an encore.

And by "wants" they mean "will be driven even batshit crazier by".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Supersonic Shine posted:

His partner.

Again.

A dozen times over.

It can't get any worse.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

The Hamelin Organization was basically Umbrella Incorporated tasked with handling the salt monster Legion apocalypse in the original NieR’s backstory. They did this by doing a bunch a dumb poo poo with magic they didn’t really understand like making super-powered child soldiers or sticking people’s souls in magic books, turning people into giant grinning cartoon skeletons or giving petrification vision to kids and whatnot. They likely also made the original androids to oversee the Plan Z of throwing magic poo poo at the wall and hoping for the best that was Project Gestalt.

Also OG NieR had that predilection to name their bosses after fairy tales, so I guess it makes sense that not-Umbrella would be named after the (Pied Piper of) Hamelin, especially since they probably also made Devola and Popola and them leading you on through the story.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: The Tower
(You should listen to this. It’s the final dungeon theme.)

Ahhh, one of my favorite ambient tracks from the game, right up there with the amusement park pre-Machine Zombie Apocalypse.

So, is it just me or do Yoko Taro's villains tend to be massive trolls? We had Manah, Grimoire Noir, the Flower, and now the Machine Network. Technically Gismor too I guess, but who wants to remember Drakengard 2?

e:

exploded mummy posted:

It can't get any worse.

Oh, my sweet summer child. This is a Yoko Taro game we're talking about - it can always get worse.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
To be fair to the Hamelin Organization, humanity was kind of facing extinction. It's understandable you might skip a few ethical reviews here and there.

On the other hand I'm still not sure what Umbrella's obsession with bioweapons was all about, honestly. I can't imagine their BOW&Viruses division ever turned a single dollar of profit over its entire existence.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I’m not going to say that this escalated quickly, but boy did it ever keep escalating. This kind of reminds me of Xenogears in that respect.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Maybe we're being too harsh on the machine network. I mean, it probably remembers from Adam how much 9S wants to **** 2B, and it is going out of its way to give Nines every opportunity it can to do so. At this point, 9S just seems unappreciative, if anything.

Actually, the network has been nothing but friendly and welcoming in every interaction it's had with 9S. It knows he's upset about losing 2B, so it keeps bringing her back for him to ****, tries to hook him and A2 up, and even found 21B wandering around the wilderness and set up a reunion between her and 9S. Nines is just being a jerk

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

...! posted:

The understanding was already there. Not sure why you think it wasn't. :confused:

The machine network became self-aware and then killed its alien masters because it didn't like them. It has an extremely high level of intelligence. It has emotions and fully understands them. Adam and Eve were merely underlings.

So Adam and Eve were mods, and the machine network is Lowtax?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

McFetusBurger posted:

So Adam and Eve were mods, and the machine network is Lowtax?

9S keeps getting dunked on because he refuses to buy plat.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought the joke was that Lowtax was never around. That would make him the humans on the moon, yeah?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So 9S' entire rampage has been one massive :banme:

Does that make A2 an FYAD poster or something?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

every thread's a deal
every post's a win

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Really Pants posted:

every thread's a deal
every post's a win

Looking back over this thread, I find this one somewhat debatable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sometimes it's only a win for existential suffering

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

It can't get any worse.
I’m sure the machine network has some plan to make 9S relive the worst moments of his life for eternity.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr. Snark posted:

I heard about that happening but I love actually seeing Emil completely killing the mood. That's just great.

Yeah, this is the best.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/940324608615464960

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

...! posted:

It understands emotions now. I like to believe Adam and Eve were created for that very purpose.

Unfortunately 2B taught them mostly hate and fear.

Just makes more sense to me narratively that way. The network used Adam and Eve to try and find a new purpose. It found one in torturing 9S.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mokinokaro posted:

It understands emotions now. I like to believe Adam and Eve were created for that very purpose.

Unfortunately 2B taught them mostly hate and fear.

Just makes more sense to me narratively that way. The network used Adam and Eve to try and find a new purpose. It found one in torturing 9S.

Given what we've seen of the Network, I can fully believe that it made Adam and Eve go through their little existential journeys just to kill some time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Join us next time as 9S falls down the tower again, well either that or the Network gives him a wedgy.

So, how long until the ghost girl shows up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I forget, did we ever see what happened to the corpse of the original 2B or did it just get launched when the network tower burst up?
I don't think it would really do anything to 9S that hack space memory 2B and the copied models haven't done, but still.

The Dark Id posted:

It’s not like everyone was in YoRHa were with 9S and 2B

Guessing "who was in"

• Locked thread