Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

LesterGroans posted:

I wouldn't really call Pan "over-serious"

More "over-boring"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
That's definitely accurate.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

muscles like this! posted:

Blacklist time!

How about a biopic about a young JK Rowling? No? Then how about a biopic about John Hughes? A biopic about Anne Frank's father trying to get the diary published? A biopic about the guys in charge of Google?

Edit: A biopic about Elon Musk?

Edit2: A biopic about the couple who created Curious George?

Edit3: A biopic about David Prowse?

Edit4: A biopic about the time that Michael Jordan played baseball, which will probably not involve the conspiracy theory that it was a soft ban from basketball for gambling on games.

I know the guys who wrote the script that has the top spot. Amazing guys and writers, they also just had their spec script Mimi from Rio picked up for production by Ridley Scott/Netflix. They are going to be crazy in demand after these two projects get made.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phanatic posted:

Yes, but the movie is still painting the Germans as the bad guys. Chris Pine is the good guy, escaping from them, the Germans show up on the beach as bad guys trying to recapture them. The *audience's* sympathy is plainly intended to lie against the Germans. The only enemies we see are Germans. It's the Germans who are shown doing all the bad things, like using chemical weapons, shooting their own troops, conquering formerly-picturesque German towns. The allies aren't shown doing anything like that, when of course they did. This has nothing to do with Ares or WW, it's a deliberate choice because the alternative would be to have to deal with WWI as more than just a costume.

Yeah, WW misunderstands what's going on in-universe, but out-of-universe the Germans in this movie are presented exactly as the Nazis are in most WWII films: faceless bad-guy goons who it's okay to kill in great numbers. Basically the antipathy towards Nazis is such a deep part of the cinematic context that it extends retroactively by decades.

That's the idea. The movie is doing everything it can to trick you into thinking Wonder Woman is right when a basic knowledge of history would tell you she's wrong. The fact that it worked so well a lot of people went away from the movie never realizing Wonder Woman killed a whole bunch of innocent people for no raisin notwithstanding.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I remember the story of getting the Diary of Anne Frank published was an interesting story, although I unfortunately don't remember what it was.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neurolimal posted:

Pretty much. My only guess as to why it's set in WW1 and not WW2 is because the producers were concerned about having a War Bad story set in The Nazi War.

It's because Captain America did that first and they didn't want the bad press of outright copying it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No this movie am totally different, it has a blonde haired blue eyed American military hero named Steve played by a guy named Chris who helps win a war by sacrificing himself on a plane with a superweapon

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Conjuring lawsuit is over before we could decide if ghosts were real by trial

http://deadline.com/2017/12/conjuring-lawsuit-settled-warner-bros-new-line-demonologist-tony-derosa-grund-1202226100/

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No this movie am totally different, it has a blonde haired blue eyed American military hero named Steve played by a guy named Chris who helps win a war by sacrificing himself on a plane with a superweapon

Her Steve doesn't come back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Her Steve doesn't come back.

Well other Steve's brunette bombshell doesn't come back (in romanceable form)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Eff that. Aunt May almost married Mole Man twice in the newspaper comics.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She has Alzheimer's and died

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

She has Alzheimer's and died

She was still alive in The Winter Soldier. I think there was even a deleted scene (or one planned) where she and Steve danced.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

She died in Civil War, but these are comic book movies and you can bet dollars to donuts Agent Carter will be seen again in some form.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

She had a two season TV series.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Well there are these things called Infinity Stones...and...like...I'm sure when you collect them all you can bring people back from the dead. It'll be like Dragon Balls.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gatts posted:

Well there are these things called Infinity Stones...and...like...I'm sure when you collect them all you can bring people back from the dead. It'll be like Dragon Balls.

Howard the Duck grabs them and wishes for a pair of panties

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Howard the Duck grabs them and wishes for a pair of panties

And this is how thanos is defeated
Then howard gives the panties to Death and quack-cucks thanos

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iron Fist enters the world martial arts tournament and is defeated by the guy who smells real bad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Iron Fist enters the world martial arts tournament and is defeated by the guy who smells real bad Fat Cobra

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

basic hitler posted:

the germans arent really bad guys outside of Herr Roete Herring and Frau Gas

The rest of german high command is on the "gently caress this poo poo" train

When you use Germans from any of the WW's in your movie, you are going to be a little less subtle if your goal is to say that not all the Kinda Nazi Uniform-wearing guys are bad. Like, in every scene where one of the non-evil German officers appears he should be cradling a baby or pet a dog and express their affection for freedom.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

got any sevens posted:

And this is how thanos is defeated
Then howard gives the panties to Death and quack-cucks thanos

That made me realize that now that Disney owns the Deadpool movie rights that means they could technically do the Deadpool/Death romance thing and have Thanos in on a corner as well.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I wonder if Marvel has the copyright Death

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I wonder if Marvel has the copyright Death

Dunno since DC has their own Death character as well, with both being human females.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rirse posted:

Dunno since DC has their own Death character as well, with both being human females.

They should do what they do when selling the toys, and call her "Marvel's Death".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I want a CYE style sitcom starting Ms. Death.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cooked Auto posted:

That made me realize that now that Disney owns the Deadpool movie rights that means they could technically do the Deadpool/Death romance thing and have Thanos in on a corner as well.

I wonder if Disney is even going to touch Deadpool. I'm not sure they are going to want a R-rated film franchise be a part of their extended universe. It's probably why there hasn't been a new blade movie. Thankfully, it's probably too late for them to meddle with the sequel.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wonder if Disney is even going to touch Deadpool. I'm not sure they are going to want a R-rated film franchise be a part of their extended universe. It's probably why there hasn't been a new blade movie. Thankfully, it's probably too late for them to meddle with the sequel.

They don’t seem to mind their Netflix shows brushing pretty close to that R territory. Given how lucrative Deadpool proved, I don’t see them shying away.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are a lot of reasons not to make a new Blade movie, and I don't think R-rated content is a major one. Blade was an obscure character before Wesley Snipes played him, and Wesley Snipes is now a somewhat less sad and crazy Steven Seagal. Reviving the franchise for the still-difficult mid-budget action movie market is a risky prospect whether you go with him or a new actor.

The Punisher series is technically set in the MCU, although that makes absolutely no sense at all and is not at all credible from a storytelling perspective. It occurred to me a few times while I was watching it, that these deep state ghouls are talking about protecting the American empire and secret unaccountable power and violence, etc. and no one ever mentions that things have changed a little since we found out gods and aliens exist and they attacked New York City. It's an extremely loose continuity, to say the least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The deal won't close for at least a year, so anything in production right now won't be affected.

Iger said today he sees room for a "Marvel-R" brand for things like Deadpool.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

There are a lot of reasons not to make a new Blade movie, and I don't think R-rated content is a major one. Blade was an obscure character before Wesley Snipes played him, and Wesley Snipes is now a somewhat less sad and crazy Steven Seagal. Reviving the franchise for the still-difficult mid-budget action movie market is a risky prospect whether you go with him or a new actor.

A new Blade could own they can just do what happened in the comics and have Snipes pass the torch and be the new Whistler/heavy hitter weaponsmith dude and have it be about his daughter finding out she was adopted/learning about vampire society/becoming the new Blade. So you could have a violent action movie that still has enough of the generic comic book origin tale plot beats that it could be pitched and sold as a comic book movie first. And I mean yeah that sounds risky but if Disney or any of studios its owns wanted to go for it unless it was complete poo poo it would still be a financial success just from how marketed it would be and the merchandise around that and stuff.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Punisher series is technically set in the MCU, although that makes absolutely no sense at all and is not at all credible from a storytelling perspective. It occurred to me a few times while I was watching it, that these deep state ghouls are talking about protecting the American empire and secret unaccountable power and violence, etc. and no one ever mentions that things have changed a little since we found out gods and aliens exist and they attacked New York City. It's an extremely loose continuity, to say the least.

The way they're "in the MCU" is extremely stupid for sure. I know why it's the case because of pettiness between the two people that run Netflix Marvel and movie Marvel but the way they would kind of try to refer to them in the Netflix shows but not really always came off as really stupid outside of Daredevil's first season. I think it works in Netflix's favor that they just don't even try anymore as it got shakier and shakier with each show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

And I mean yeah that sounds risky but if Disney or any of studios its owns wanted to go for it unless it was complete poo poo it would still be a financial success just from how marketed it would be and the merchandise around that and stuff.
Uh, what's your reasoning for that?

Neo Rasa posted:

The way they're "in the MCU" is extremely stupid for sure. I know why it's the case because of pettiness between the two people that run Netflix Marvel and movie Marvel but
I don't know anything about that, but I believe Marvel wants the continuity to be extremely vague and flexible. There's often not a lot of continuity between the movies, either.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Awkwafina is a horrible stage name, holy poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like that may be worse than Ghostbusters in terms of both quality of the film, and quality of the nuclear takes whenever the first trailer comes out. (Though likely won't receive the same quantity of hate)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They seriously couldn't find 11 actresses?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

The way they're "in the MCU" is extremely stupid for sure. I know why it's the case because of pettiness between the two people that run Netflix Marvel and movie Marvel but the way they would kind of try to refer to them in the Netflix shows but not really always came off as really stupid outside of Daredevil's first season. I think it works in Netflix's favor that they just don't even try anymore as it got shakier and shakier with each show.

Honestly, the way Spiderman Homecoming went about establishing a lower-level angle on the MCU was great and felt nicely grounded. Much more so than the Netflix shows which only really referenced their connection to the movies only in Daredevil Season 1.

Halloween Jack posted:

There's often not a lot of continuity between the movies, either.

uh, what?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Who is directing that Ocean's 8 ?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

They seriously couldn't find 11 actresses?

There aren't many women in Hollywood who can match the star power of Scott Caan and Eddie Jemison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who is directing that Ocean's 8 ?

Gary Ross (Seabiscuit, Free State of Jones), which is a brutal step down from Steven Soderbergh.

• Locked thread