Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

does this apply to everything or just people. Like, if you blow out a tire do you no longer recognize your own car, cause yours was easier to steer?

I guess that's one way to solve the problem of Theseus' Ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oh, thanks! I for some reason had the impression his personality remained changed, but it makes sense that he'd recover.

Also, this is an even 'better' one since it legitimately raises questions of selfhood (because it's the loss of the sense of self): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Sauce everywhere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also, this is an even 'better' one since it legitimately raises questions of selfhood (because it's the loss of the sense of self): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion

Holy poo poo:

quote:

The Cotard delusion also has resulted from a patient's adverse physiological response to a drug (e.g., aciclovir) and to its prodrug precursor (e.g., valaciclovir). The occurrence of Cotard delusion symptoms was associated with a high serum-concentration of 9-Carboxymethoxymethylguanine (CMMG), the principal metabolite of the drug aciclovir. As such, the patient with weak kidneys (impaired renal function) continued risking the occurrence of delusional symptoms, despite the reduction of the dose of aciclovir.

Aciclovir is the main antiviral treatment for genital herpes outbreaks (and chickenpox and shingles). So this poor bastard was walking around thinking he was dead, and also probably had dong sores. That sucks.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I for one am glad that Allison has finally decided to shuck off this scorpion that she has been carrying across the river.

Only now there's a scorpian driving her brain like some kind've horrifying pilot.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
That passageway was to the invisible maze, Allison's going solo now.

I hope the cat's still okay :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

am i different person every time i wake up in the morning

Loss of continuity of consciousness. Maybe! Don't think about it.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

who says there's other mornings

does this apply to everything or just people. Like, if you blow out a tire do you no longer recognize your own car, cause yours was easier to steer?

Is it still your car when you wreck it?

How about after it's crushed into a steel cube?

How about when it's molten down?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Objects, and distinctions between them across time, are subjective or intersubjective inventions of those who interact with it. There's no objective point at which a car stops being a car because there's no such objective thing as a car, just a loose pattern of atoms.

Subjectively, you might think of a lump of metal as your car if it was made from some atoms in a different configuration that you previously thought of as your car, or you might not, and your reasons for thinking that way will probably have a lot to do with your memories of the car and your knowledge of how it became that lump of metal.

Intersubjectively, others in your community may disagree about whether it is a car and also about whether it is yours, though if they agree that it is yours then they may be inclined to grant your interpretation of its car-ness a degree of privilege above theirs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So what you're saying is that we should crush Clevin into a cube

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Breaking a devil's mask destroys the anchor holding its consciousness and personality together, and it rapidly reverts to a chaotic mass of the hot black flame, because devils cannot maintain individuality without their masks. Even if someone manages to recover the mask and painstakingly put it back together, it isn't necessarily the same devil that comes back: see Cio vs Yab.

So what you're saying is that everything will be ok as long her head/face remains intact and thus everything will be fine for Cio! :buddy:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

So what you're saying is that we should crush Clevin into a cube

A cube is too harsh a shape for Clevin. He can only be compressed into a soft, round shape.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Aurium posted:

Is it still your car when you wreck it?

How about after it's crushed into a steel cube?

How about when it's molten down?

It's my car until the insurance cuts me a check for totalling it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SoupyTwist posted:

That passageway was to the invisible maze, Allison's going solo now.

I hope the cat's still okay :ohdear:

the cat is certainly dead

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The cat is fine, its just hanging out with the Gunwitch on her crate of teacups.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Not that that stops Zoss.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

The cat came back
The very next day
The cat came back
They thought he was a goner but
The cat came back
He just couldn't stay away

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Phy posted:

The cat came back
The very next day
The cat came back
They thought he was a goner but
The cat came back
Because he was Royalty

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Mindblast posted:

So what you're saying is that everything will be ok as long her head/face remains intact and thus everything will be fine for Cio! :buddy:

tbh Oscar was just shot several times point blank and suffered nothing worse than a ripped coat and a slightly grumpy attitude so yeah, Cio's probably okay.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm pretty sure the RIP is for everyone else in the explody maze.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oscar is a BAD MAN in more than one way

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hell that old man bug dude is probably fine, just very confused right now

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

hell that old man bug dude is probably fine, just very confused right now

That Old Man McCoolHat CL-11 didn't actually get to shine in some way before getting unceremoniously eviscerated is the biggest travesty in this entire comic, really.

The next would be if Catmaster and Cat didn't somehow make it through this, also.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
CL-11 took out the entire maze and Cio if you think about it

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

CoolHat's head was cut from his neck and he still took out goddamn near everyone. Meti would be proud.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhaka posted:

CoolHat's head was cut from his neck and he still took out goddamn near everyone. Meti would be proud very disappointed about his choices in life

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

:golfclap:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Clevin is an old meme, passe. Let's let it die, and usher in a true hero, one we can all get behind.

Supergreg.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
woah supergreggy

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Allison's mind is at least 80% vaguely threatening ghosts, by volume.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Are we about to see Zoss throw down from beyond the grave? I'd like that.

I also hope that Incubus can see him too and starts freaking right the gently caress out.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
"This cycle"? Implying there have been others, perhaps?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

Could arguably be just "The original Rulers -> Zoss -> The Current Shitlords " as a cycle of people gaining mastery over existance

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Allison is extremely "gently caress you, dad!" right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

Cycles of time, every time Zaid goes back in time and becomes Zoss, the story changes slightly as he reacts to the events of the last timeline that lead him there. Each time he's hoping Allison won't fall to darkness.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MikeJF posted:

Cycles of time, every time Zaid goes back in time and becomes Zoss, the story changes slightly as he reacts to the events of the last timeline that lead him there. Each time he's hoping Allison won't fall to darkness.

That would be cliche and sucky

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That would be cliche and sucky

I have to agree.
One of the great things about this story is that Allison really is just someone who grabbed out of her world for having some qualities Zoss liked (as he was dying) and then he shoved a key into her head.

Having this in fact be part of a repeating time cycle would rob it of that kinetic sense of the universe hanging in the balance.

That being said I'm pretty sure it's a cycle in the mythic sense, where each usurper is flawed and repeats the sins of their predecessors, which Zoss thought to avoid.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It should also be kept in mind that the current Demiurge kings are not the ones who have been around forever. It's implied the keys have changed hands many times in the course of the horrible universal war. So the cycle of plucky young hero kills demiurge, takes key, becomes horrible monster over time, gets killed by plucky hero is probably old hat by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I mean Soloman still thinks he's a righteous ruler ( and TBF by what Abbadon has mentioned before his section of 111,111 worlds is probably the least messed up so he may have a point ). So he probably WAS one of those plucky heroes that took the key from some other formerly plucky hero that turned into a monster after they took the key etc etc.

Also running back to the explosion scene, it pretty much blew up the entire maze itself. Abbadon mentioned possibly keeping one or two of the other demons alive after this adventure.

Now, who were the only two demons NOT openly in the maze that we saw?

Maybe the cat WILL come back.

Or not because a near total party kill is a near-given in a mostly chaotic evil party anyway in a dungeon run.