Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

7 day guest passes again:

NEEHGVI-S1DG9IE-D4AR4FK-8B3I6
SQJ2S90-JFQ2E8K-34V2QV3-HJPKM
VUP1GRC-FEIMG1E-KCG8LN6-8831L
HJG8H0A-GUUATA2-VGI99P9-90E1Q
LLIIMMT-I05SS96-UG525C5-BBOG6
6O6A5L3-G5G1PBN-88AP69S-B45H8
LVRQFUU-BIJV7D0-QL6VKSF-93E4G
KK6N1QO-I7QH79R-DNU9FM9-CGPML
8QBPSU1-8TCMCPJ-H7JVETQ-FJIE
2P0I839-3PV42R5-4SD26A0-EB6RF

Sorry! Post updated! :D

Katt posted:

I strongly recommend this video for players who want to gain contribution points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5LdczQOE38

It gives something like 1-2 points per day until something like level 250.

As well as a large chunk of energy. (does not affect energy cap just more energy that you would recover normally)

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Katt posted:

Sorry! Post updated! :D

In case it wasn't clear, the energy thing is a bdo meme because kakao doesn't know poo poo about this game.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn posted:

In case it wasn't clear, the energy thing is a bdo meme because kakao doesn't know poo poo about this game.

Ohhhh I see. I didn't want the post to imply that daily quest energy affects the energy cap. That's a good video though.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What are the similarities between Striker and Mystic? Do they literally have the same skills or is the similarity "unarmed melee class"?

I am having a lot of fun playing mystic but cannot remember my striker being this much fun, or fun at all really. I no longer have a striker or free slots so i can't really check either.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This game has the weirdest quests.

A warrior woman is being a bit tomboy-ish.

You buy her a ham and that solved everything. Mission Accomplished.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

What are the similarities between Striker and Mystic? Do they literally have the same skills or is the similarity "unarmed melee class"?

I am having a lot of fun playing mystic but cannot remember my striker being this much fun, or fun at all really. I no longer have a striker or free slots so i can't really check either.

Their attacks change, primarily her source of pve killing, which is the machine gun fist thing she does with the shift button and mouse bottons held down.

She's also faster, more springy, jumpy that striker. She's really fun and Im thinking of dropping cash to get her an outfit and junk even though I shouldnt

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Katt posted:

This game has the weirdest quests.

A warrior woman is being a bit tomboy-ish.

You buy her a ham and that solved everything. Mission Accomplished.

I'm returning after not playing since launch and boy did I miss the incredibly weird six layers of translation feeling yet still being legible writing style of this game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I also have not played for a very long time, but have decided that, instead of participating in the Koreagrind, I wish to become the Cooking Mama. Are there any good guides for following my dreams out there because I've seen a fair amount of conflicting information

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I also have not played for a very long time, but have decided that, instead of participating in the Koreagrind, I wish to become the Cooking Mama. Are there any good guides for following my dreams out there because I've seen a fair amount of conflicting information

Same. The only consistent advice so far seems to be that Tamer can carry the most weight and Ranger runs around the fastest as general life skill advice.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I really like the lifeskills side of this game and can probably answer most questions about it. Except hunting/training stuff, I've not messed with those myself. But everything else I can probably help with. I'll repost an old post of mine, since workers and contribution points are the backbone of lifeskilling, and cooking happens to be the best way to gain contribution points. For cooking, you'll want to get your cook time reduction down as much as you can, I have a list of all the things that do that below. Then you have to source materials, either from workers and nodes, gathering it yourself, or from the market. The high tier cooked meals in this game tend to be composed of lots of other subcombines, and keeping track of all the materials you need can be exhausting. Fortunately, someone has a great spreadsheet that will create a shopping list of materials for whatever you're looking to make that includes all the subcombines. For an in-game map that shows nodes and gathering spots, famme's site is great.

J posted:

Yeah, if the node and worker system is what interests you and you want to be the biggest slavemaster you can be, here's how I'd do it.

Take all the nodes that produce the main ingredient for beer. Wheat, barley, potato, corn. These are near velia, heidel, and calpheon. There is a sweet potato node in mediah too but no need to worry about that early on. Don't sell these, you'll be using them yourself.
Once you're level 40, you'll have access to most of the daily quests in calpheon. This is a 15ish minute circuit of running around town that should get you a few CP per day until you start hitting CP softcaps. Here's a walkthrough of what order to do them in.
Don't burn yourself out on this, but if you just loving love daily quests and are level 50+, mediah has a shitload more of them.

The daily quests are more to build up your node empire while you're new and don't have a lot of silver to throw around. In the long run, cooking is the best way to get CP, but to do it effectively you need to be able to stack effects that reduce your cooking time. Many of these require effort, silver, or both that you probably won't have as a new player. I'll list them anyways though.

Advanced cooking utensil. -1s cooking time, and 900 durability compared to the vendor bought utensil that has 100 durability. You can make these from a level 3 tool workshop. You'll need to mine rough stones, and chop logs to make these.
Teff sandwiches (-.5s), or teff bread if you can't get sandwiches. -.3s
Alchemy stone of life. Depends on tier, but somewhere between 1 and 1.4seconds off.
Silver embroidered cook's clothes. -1second per enhancement level. +1 clothes are easy to get, just smash +0s together until you get one, don't worry about failstacks. +2s are more difficult, you'll want 10-15 failstacks before trying those. +3s are a much bigger pain in the rear end, +4 is super duper expensive. +5s basically don't exist. The market prices for these are hard capped way too low so the higher level ones basically never get sold.
Pearl shop cooking outfit, -2seconds.

Get as many of the things on that list as you can, and then just cook beer. You'll end up needing it to feed your workers sooner or later. Cooking anything produces byproducts that can be turned into npcs for a reward. One of them is contribution experience. If you go hog wild and get all of that stuff I just listed, including high tier cook's clothes and an alchemy stone, you can get your cooking speed down to 1 second per combine and can burn through an entire advanced utensil in 15 minutes. Then it's just a matter of producing enough utensils and having enough cooking materials to keep going.

Early on when your node network is small and your workers aren't artisan level yet, you might get tempted to sell excess beer. Don't do it. Eventually you'll get lazy about cooking, eventually your network will grow and you'll need more of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
kinda a stupid question but since this game is so grind heavy do I really need to worry about doing story quests or should I just spam-murder cute things and pick up quests for poo poo like bag space as I want?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

kinda a stupid question but since this game is so grind heavy do I really need to worry about doing story quests or should I just spam-murder cute things and pick up quests for poo poo like bag space as I want?

Baaaaasically, yeah, from what I understand. Quest EXP is useless since you'll get levels way way way way faster by just killing enemies, you can hit level 50 in like a few hours, and once you get higher in levels you'll be able to do repeatable quests that will get you the contribution EXP you would have normally gotten through playing the game normally, since just killing enemies won't get you any. It's really funny being level 55 and having 14 contribution total like I am

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Doing story missions is a great source of knowledge though which increases your energy cap.

As well as a ton of silver and blackstones.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Katt posted:

Doing story missions is a great source of knowledge though which increases your energy cap.

As well as a ton of silver and blackstones.

And apparently a lot of story quests also give you inventory expansions so you might wanna just do them anyways, though I will say the game hands you so much free silver in the form of house glory rewards and also for apparently no reason I already have like 33 million+ in the bank with a bunch of uncollected gold bars and I've actively played for maybe 10 hours total

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

J posted:

I really like the lifeskills side of this game and can probably answer most questions about it. Except hunting/training stuff, I've not messed with those myself. But everything else I can probably help with. I'll repost an old post of mine, since workers and contribution points are the backbone of lifeskilling, and cooking happens to be the best way to gain contribution points. For cooking, you'll want to get your cook time reduction down as much as you can, I have a list of all the things that do that below. Then you have to source materials, either from workers and nodes, gathering it yourself, or from the market. The high tier cooked meals in this game tend to be composed of lots of other subcombines, and keeping track of all the materials you need can be exhausting. Fortunately, someone has a great spreadsheet that will create a shopping list of materials for whatever you're looking to make that includes all the subcombines. For an in-game map that shows nodes and gathering spots, famme's site is great.

There are also spirit stones now. They are like very good alchemy stones, cost 990k but can't be repaired. They last 8 hours worth of activations.

They practically render alchemy stones obsolete unless you already had one levelled.

It's comparable to the third best alchemy stone but also the alchemy stone where most people stop levelling.

Keep in mind that Kakao is aware of the imbalance with spirit stones and seem to be gradually nerfing them. In the long run you should probably make an alchemy stone anyway

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

And apparently a lot of story quests also give you inventory expansions so you might wanna just do them anyways, though I will say the game hands you so much free silver in the form of house glory rewards and also for apparently no reason I already have like 33 million+ in the bank with a bunch of uncollected gold bars and I've actively played for maybe 10 hours total

Silver is pretty much the true levels in this game. Gear has no level requirements and improves your characters performance way better than levels do after 56.

Since gear it also not character bound you can trade the same armour and accessories around between your characters.

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Katt posted:

It's comparable to the third best alchemy stone but also the alchemy stone where most people stop levelling.

*fifth* best actually, sharp, resplendent, splendid, and shiny are all above sturdy, but the blue tier does apply yellow stone effects. Not really sure where the nerf rumors are coming from

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn posted:

*fifth* best actually, sharp, resplendent, splendid, and shiny are all above sturdy, but the blue tier does apply yellow stone effects. Not really sure where the nerf rumors are coming from

Yeah sure if you for cooking purposes count multiple stones of the same strength :p

The speeds goes -1,1 second. -1,4 seconds and -1,7 seconds (best) and the spirit stone offers -1,1.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The mystic feels how mmo combat should feel.

For all the lovely P2W and gear grind thats in this game, its basic gameplay is sooo drat good

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Did something change that added P2W to this game? I keep seeing that but there's like, no good way to P2W

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Drythe posted:

Did something change that added P2W to this game? I keep seeing that but there's like, no good way to P2W

I suppose you could buy a hundred value packs and sell them on the market and use the silver to buy some tri stuff?

Most pearl stuff is either aesthetic or quality of life stuff.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yea but that ratio is like, terrible, even for idiots like me.

The only people doing that would be oil tycoons who would probably just buy an account

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Drythe posted:

Yea but that ratio is like, terrible, even for idiots like me.

The only people doing that would be oil tycoons who would probably just buy an account

Yes and even with tons of silver the best of the best stuff never go on the market to begin with. You have to make them yourself.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
The main story quest also gives you a good piece of chest armor at the end.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Every time I have to press the R button to pick up an enemy drop I say "gently caress you" aloud knowing that if I shelled out five human dollars I could get a pet that picks all the drops up for me which would make the five minute grinding sessions in between my half-hour horseback rides to the storage NPC to clear out my six inventory slots go much more smoothly

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Every time I have to press the R button to pick up an enemy drop I say "gently caress you" aloud knowing that if I shelled out five human dollars I could get a pet that picks all the drops up for me which would make the five minute grinding sessions in between my half-hour horseback rides to the storage NPC to clear out my six inventory slots go much more smoothly

1/10, doesn't even mention crippling weight issues

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You can get more inventory through quests, it's still pretty bad but it doesn't feel that restricting unless you are carrying a bunch of trash that not worth anything or gear that will probably weigh you down faster than just the lack of inventory space

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The only reason to buy inventory slots is when you do a lot of heavy duty fishing

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

A single 16 slot is nice, but otherwise yeah. My fisher has a gently caress load of inventory expansions and that's about the only one

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Katt posted:

Yeah sure if you for cooking purposes count multiple stones of the same strength :p

The speeds goes -1,1 second. -1,4 seconds and -1,7 seconds (best) and the spirit stone offers -1,1.

It starts at 0.5 and goes up 0.3 every tier. It's just that the highest tier doesn't exist because it has like a 0.15% chance to upgrade and explodes if you fail

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn posted:

It starts at 0.5 and goes up 0.3 every tier. It's just that the highest tier doesn't exist because it has like a 0.15% chance to upgrade and explodes if you fail

Okay I admit defeat.

J
Jun 10, 2001

For some reason a lot of the early and mid game grind spots flood your inventory with tons of garbage that you should probably destroy. Later on, the spots tend to drop 1 main stackable trash item, with the occasional rarer drops that don't poo poo up your inventory anywhere near as bad. You can alleviate a lot of inventory weight issues by taking advantage of this one trick that lets you stack a near-infinite amount of one item on your mount. Take the 1000 imp butts that are weighing you down and put the entire stack on your horse. Then the next time you get another 1000 imp butts, go back to your mount, and take the 1000 imp butts on your mount and put them in your inventory. Now you have 2000 imp butts in your inventory and you're super overweight, but as long as you're moving one complete stack at a time, it will let you put those 2000 imp butts back on your mount. You can keep doing that as many times as you want to stack up a giant stack of 1 item on your mount and largely ignore the weight limit. Just be sure to keep moving the entire stack all at once each time. Once you're ready to go back to town, you can put the whole stack on your character and ride your mount at full speed back to town.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

You can also ignore the generic advice of buying grunil because you should get 2 piece hercules set if on characters without weight which both adds extra max weight and reduces the weight of your armor by like 70%

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:stare:
Took me like 25 weapon stones to go from 0-15 on this rosar gauntlet

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Is there any grouping in this game or is it just a single player game disguised as an mmo like everything else these days?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kak posted:

Is there any grouping in this game or is it just a single player game disguised as an mmo like everything else these days?

PVP is very much a group thing but PVE is basically solo most of the way even though partying in grind spots is popular.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
So apparently the latest Windows 10 and Nvidia GeForce Driver don't mix well for BDO. I guess I'm taking a break from this good bad game until it's fixed (I'm not going to roll back a Win10 update for one game).

I was really looking forward to the Mystic too :(

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Svensken posted:

So apparently the latest Windows 10 and Nvidia GeForce Driver don't mix well for BDO. I guess I'm taking a break from this good bad game until it's fixed (I'm not going to roll back a Win10 update for one game).

I was really looking forward to the Mystic too :(

Creators update and BDO are known to not play well with each other

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So what's the best way to buy this game? Are the $30 or $50 packages worth it? Or is there a way to get the game for less than $10?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Alpha Mayo posted:

So what's the best way to buy this game? Are the $30 or $50 packages worth it? Or is there a way to get the game for less than $10?

If you want the game and will commit to leveling to 30 before quitting, someone will gift you the game as long as you don't care about steam. If you want the packages, you can either buy the $50 one outright or upgrade later--again i don't know how or if this works on steam. The 50 package is a good value, the 30 one less so. Sometimes they have 50% off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah I don't care about Steam. I have like 5 videogame launchers on my PC right now (Blizzard, Steam, Uplay, Origin, GMG).

Though actually since the Steam sale is around the corner, maybe I will just get it through steam. Apparently all the packages went on sale in November and lately Steam just mirrors the same sale for their Christmas sale.

Plus I can't really commit to reaching any level. I could just get bored and stop playing, and would hate for someone not to get their rewards because of that. How many hours would it take for a new player to reach 30 anyway?