Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

These past few ladies should also declare it 'No D December' and :sever: with pruning shears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that is not even close to $1000 worth of pufferfish unless you are shopping at the west elm of garbage tier gaffe taxidermy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's like $240 worth, max, assuming you didn't even argue bulk pricing. $1000 of pufferfish. gently caress. my rear end. where is this, l.a.? eat my rear end

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haifisch posted:

I (24f) just accidentally obliterated an EXPENSIVE Christmas gift from my boyfriend (27m). Do I secretly replace it or tell him? Help!

"Reddit, should I react like a sitcom character, or should I just tell my boyfriend what happened?"

Eh, if she's got the disposable income I'd replace them so he has the opportunity to make the surprise and that's apparently a big deal but after Christmas confess what happened because thats the sort of stupid white lie that ends up breeding resentment somehow.

If she doesn't have the cash lying around confess.

On the other hand....

quote:

we both really enjoy giving and receiving gifts. It's a shared love language and is a major way we show each other we care

Set fire to the car, the fish, the boyfriend and yourself.

therobit posted:

Men who want thier women completely shorn are either gay or closet pedophiles, possibly both. HTH.

How tha fuk do you arrive at the conclusion that make a dude gay?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

we both really enjoy giving and receiving gifts. It's a shared love language and is a major way we show each other we care

https://i.imgur.com/9yJS0H2.mp4

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Are you gonna get onto reddit and give her bad advice so her relationship implodes and you can swoop in and teach him how to love again by showing him where to get pufferfish?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Are you gonna get onto reddit and give her bad advice so her relationship implodes and you can swoop in and teach him how to love again by showing him where to get pufferfish?

No, trying to sabotage other people's relationships so you can try to swoop in like a vulture is completely and totally reprehensible. I lose a massive amount of respect for anyone who tries it, even if they're doing it to someone else.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pick posted:

No, trying to sabotage other people's relationships so you can try to swoop in like a vulture is completely and totally reprehensible. I lose a massive amount of respect for anyone who tries it, even if they're doing it to someone else.

What if the partner is the vulture, and you're more of a glorious eagle trying to save the fragile goat carcass from the depredations of the evil scavenger?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The taxidermy respecter has logged on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Outrail posted:

What if the partner is the vulture, and you're more of a glorious eagle trying to save the fragile goat carcass from the depredations of the evil scavenger?

Pick is more like those Eagles that gently nudge baby goats off cliffs and eat them, putting them out of their misery of lowered expectations of doting goat parents.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pick posted:

That's like $240 worth, max, assuming you didn't even argue bulk pricing. $1000 of pufferfish. gently caress. my rear end. where is this, l.a.? eat my rear end
If it makes you feel any better, some people in the comments are pointing out that there are places you can get pufferfish on the cheap.

quote:

[–]space_time [score hidden] 2 hours ago

Just so you know, he might have been able to find them wholesale and they might have cost far less than what you are anticipating. I've done several "coastal" trade shows and seen those guys for a dollar or two apiece. Definitely talk to him, but then see about buying a bunch from wholesaler!

[–]derickjl [score hidden] 50 minutes ago

Good idea! A quick search on eBay for "puffer fish taxidermy" brought up lots of results for as low as $8 a piece.

quote:

[–]AnimalCity [score hidden] 52 minutes ago

Someone else here made a comment about how you might be able to find them wholesale for cheaper. You should definitely look into that -- I did a quick google and it's easy to find dried pufferfish for 5-10$ each, with a more thorough search they might get even cheaper.

But OP insists these are super special rare pufferfish, so who knows:

quote:

]thrownaway0515 [S] [score hidden] 44 minutes ago

Thank you so much for your insight! Everyone is so drat kind, it makes me really happy.

These are a specialized kind of puffer fish with a unique coloration and are very large. I looked online and only found them a tiny bit cheaper if I were to buy them in enormous qualities from Asia.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Panfilo posted:

Pick is more like those Eagles that gently nudge baby goats off cliffs and eat them, putting them out of their misery of lowered expectations of doting goat parents.

In this scenario Pick would be simultaneously the eagle, the vulture, the baby goat carcass and David Attenborough's voice over as he narrates the eagle eating the vulture and choking on it's wishbone. In the distance a coyote howls (also Pick).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Outrail posted:

In this scenario Pick would be simultaneously the eagle, the vulture, the baby goat carcass and David Attenborough's voice over as he narrates the eagle eating the vulture and choking on it's wishbone. In the distance a coyote howls (also Pick).

*pensively perches next to crippled goat on a cliffside*
*goat crawls under truck to avoid awkawrd conversation*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

PetraCore posted:

Kids can tell if mom and dad loving hate each other and dad makes mom miserable. I wish I could tell this to people who decide to stay in horrible relationships for the children. It doesn't help them.

IIRC there was a study a few years ago that disputed the wisdom of splitting up a miserable marriage with a kid but what it ultimately came down to was economic stability, so if the kid would be thrown into economic turmoil then it would actually be better for them to grow up with mommy and daddy together hating each other.

I don’t remember anything that would help me look it up.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

I (24f) just accidentally obliterated an EXPENSIVE Christmas gift from my boyfriend (27m). Do I secretly replace it or tell him? Help!

"Reddit, should I react like a sitcom character, or should I just tell my boyfriend what happened?"

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about a year and a half, and we both really enjoy giving and receiving gifts. It's a shared love language and is a major way we show each other we care, so we tend to both go "overboard" for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc.

Hmmm.

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about a year and a half, and we both really enjoy being extremely aggressive. It's a shared love language and is a major way we show each other we care, so we tend to both go "overboard" for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc.

Ah, there we go. The obvious truth here is that they are both co-abusive.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Haifisch posted:

If it makes you feel any better, some people in the comments are pointing out that there are places you can get pufferfish on the cheap.

But OP insists these are super special rare pufferfish, so who knows:

It feels so easy to just turn the question around and ask herself "what would I want him to do if he did the same thing and was mortified?" I don't know how the answer can be unclear at that point. Obviously they are different people and can react to different things in different ways but come on, they even have the same love language.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It feels so easy to just turn the question around and ask herself "what would I want him to do if he did the same thing and was mortified?" I don't know how the answer can be unclear at that point. Obviously they are different people and can react to different things in different ways but come on, they even have the same love language.

Yes, their ability to think about the problem in a calm, empathetic and logical manner is what leads all these people to post in the first place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I would understand it being a tough call if their love language were wild and zany antics though.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

therobit posted:

Men who want thier women completely shorn are either gay or closet pedophiles, possibly both. HTH.

It ain't gotta be bald but it does need some management.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Outrail posted:

Yes, their ability to think about the problem in a calm, empathetic and logical manner is what leads all these people to post in the first place.

IE the benefit of hindsight. It is so easy to break down the situation when it is methodically laid out in a text format. But when emotions are involved, when there is a ton of insecurity, second guessing, fear of the unknown, and peer pressure happening, people can do very different things.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

La Brea Carpet posted:

My boyfriend (M23) is actually doing "No D December" because I (F23) did no-shave November.

quote:

I almost want to tell him I can get "D" elsewhere if I chose.

Doooooo iiiiiiiiiiittttttt

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

Doooooo iiiiiiiiiiittttttt

Lolling at how mad people are getting over this one, so big ups to the celibacy troll

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would understand it being a tough call if their love language were wild and zany antics though.

r/relationships fakeposts as sitcom characters would be almost too easy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just write a post describing a sitcom episode and see if people pick up on what you're referring to or try to give actual advice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
bitch your puffer fish ain't special

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

La Brea Carpet posted:

My boyfriend (M23) is actually doing "No D December" because I (F23) did no-shave November.

If you're in a relationship and one person is withholding sex as a punishment that relationship should end.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

This one is p funny. I don't think anyone would bat an eye if he wasn't so upfront about the joke, it'd be p hard to claim "withholding sex" if your wife didn't sleep with you for a month cause she was stressed out about x/y/z.

I do think she should break up with him, or at least have a serious conversation first, but it is legit a bit a funny to see the trope turned upside down.

As far as shaving concerns go, that's just something people have to do to participate in society. Neckbeard is an insult for a reason.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
This is my love language: https://i.imgur.com/pjB4jHb.gifv *nws*

Edit: phone posting automatically embeds?

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 14, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

blarzgh posted:

Careful now, lest goons assume this is how an aroused woman's genitalia behaves! :ohdear:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

I hate you

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I know at least two girls that was told that they where infertile by their doctor, one is on her 3rd or 4th abortion and the second became a mom at 20.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
/r/relationships: doctors are some lying motherfuckers

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Apologies if this Dear Abby has been posted already.

Peeved in California posted:

My husband met a gal 33 years younger than he is at a doctor’s office. It seems they “became close,” so they went off and bought real estate together in another state. They spend weeks at a time together there alone.

When they are both here in town, they have “business” meetings several times a week. I am not allowed to attend, know when they take place or even ask what was discussed.

They never have phone conversations while I’m near, and their texts to each other are “none of my business.” My husband’s words: “I don’t know why you’re so mad; you’re just jealous.” Your thoughts, please?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I (30M) am honestly not sure if my fiance (26) is mentally disabled, or has a learning disability. Can't talk to any of my friends about this, and I don't know if I should bring it up to her. I'm terrified she might just be unintelligent and that if I bring it up she will think I'm calling her dumb.

quote:

Before the accusations start getting thrown around, I do love my soon-to-be-wife. I love her to death. I really hope this doesn't just come off like I am calling her stupid and trying to sound like some kind of pretentious rear end in a top hat about how much smarter I am than her. But I hope by the end of this you will get what I mean. This isn't normal kind of unintelligence.

We dated for the first few weeks and it went amazing, then we went on an impromptu trip to NYC and fell in love. We ended up moving to long island, stayed there for 10 months, then to new jersey 2 months ago. I asked her to marry me 1 week ago.

But I have some problems, just things that I need to tell SOMEBODY or something because its so strange that I am not sure how to bring it up to anyone. I am not sure if my fiance went to school, and if she did, I am not sure if she retained anything. To put this in the most blunt terms, she is strikingly unintelligent. Not like critical thinking skills, those don't seem to be too bad, but just KNOWING things. She couldn't point out New York on a map, she pointed at georgia. She had never heard of hand sanitizer before I told her. She didn't know that in WW2, we fought Japan. She didn't know what the USSR was. She didn't know what the word 'capital' meant. When I talked to her about how crazy the flat earth theory was, she said "Well we dont really know, do we?". When we watched Kung Fu panda, she complained that animals knowing kung fu was unrealistic. She one time said the "iran war" meaning to say the iraq war to my friend, then blushed when she found out 'there were two of them'. She had no clue what the word 'metaphor' meant. She didn't know what 'metal music' was, like at all. I can keep on going and going on.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I honestly am astounded sometimes that she has gone her entire life without knowing these things, and its a lot of things. At a certain point I just assume she doesn't know anything beyond a 8th grade level, and I feel just so frustrated, it makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat just to feel these thoughts towards her and type them out, but I cant exactly run away from them anymore. She was so drat smart seeming when I first dated her, she was sophisticated, she dressed very well, she enjoyed talking about certain topics (usually about like, feminism and womens rights, not like history) but we never dwelved into topics that you had to know a lot about specifics and such, like history or politics or anything even remotely related to that.

So my first thought was, okay, she has a learning disability. Or she is mentally disabled in some way, not a major way but maybe she just doesn't retain information well. And honestly, I still love her, a lot, so for a while I just pushed it to the side and convinced myself it wasn't that bad. I have been as understanding as I can be, I have never tried to be pretentious say stuff like "wow, you didnt know that? really?" or anything like that. I have always tried to just act like her not knowing something obvious was at least relatively normal so she doesn't feel bad. But it does sometimes upset me on the inside, knowing that we may never truly connect on that level. And it worries me that she might be aware of this, and just isn't showing it.

So... how do I go about this? I am sure there are at least a few people here who have dated people who are markedly less intelligent than them? I mean school wise, not like, overall. She isn't a complete dunce, she is still witty, charming, funny, and she is very good at socializing. Which kind of makes it even more shocking when you find this stuff out. I know she went to college and dropped out. I am not sure if I should just... wait it out? Never bring it up? I mean its a weird thing to bring up, right? Like "hey you seem to not know a lot of things, are you dumb?" that just sounds so ridiculous. She would get offended.

So what am I supposed to do?

tl;dr: Fiance seems to be very unintelligent in certain ways and I have spent our whole relationship never confronting this problem.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

I am not sure if my fiance went to school,
If you know that little about her, why are you marrying her? :psyduck:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Palpek posted:

I (30M) am honestly not sure if my fiance (26) is mentally disabled, or has a learning disability. Can't talk to any of my friends about this, and I don't know if I should bring it up to her. I'm terrified she might just be unintelligent and that if I bring it up she will think I'm calling her dumb.

The irony of this chode calling his fiance a moron is delicious.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Dear reddit, I think my fiancee might be a man but I'm not sure.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I've worked with people who are otherwise intelligent people but have an extremely shallow knowledge base. It's frankly embarrassing and I wonder how they managed to avoid knowing anything about the world.

But I do know that it isn't because they're retarded, it's just that they don't seek out knowledge. If something comes up and they don't know anything about it they just drop it and don't pursue it, whereas most (maybe not, I'm biased and in academics) people would do a cursory google search on the matter or read a wiki article.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The guy is a moron but I just want him to keep going with the list of things his future wife doesn't know. Make it a daily blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

My [20 F] boyfriend [23 M] of 2.5 years claims I'm going "hyperspeed" on life and it's unfair.

quote:

We met my first year of college. We have been going to couples therapy lately. But I'm afraid it's been the last straw but I'm also terrified of making a mistake.

We both admit we got into the relationship for the wrong reasons--we were both afraid of being alone. And it was never perfect. He never answered his phone the first two years. He was always at least an hour late when picking me up. He claims he had a "video game addiction" as to why. Sex has never been great. He was my first but even after the first time it's never stopped being painful.

But I let it go. I don't believe he's a bad person and nobody is perfect.

But: I'm graduating in three years, debt free. I worked 70 hour weeks over the summer. I got and maintained my academics for scholarships. I got a prestigious internship and now a job offer from a major company with a salary 15k more than I expected on graduation.

I finally persuaded him to get a job so he could stop asking his mom for money. Part time delivery driver. He's got 20k of debt and will be graduating next year, for a total of 6 years in college. He keeps failing courses. He keeps gaming.

We moved in together and that's been helpful in some ways but not others. I'm frugal but even though rent with him is much less than I have been spending, my overall expenses has gone up. He never wants to eat in. It's killing me financially because every penny counts right now as I struggle to pay for Christmas presents and next semester.

I dream of doing FIRE one day--financial independence retire early--so that I can focus on my dream of writing. He says it's unrealistic to be already planning for retirement and saving money. He says I have more than him (a good job now and at graduation, no debt) and that it's not fair. I'm too ambitious, I plan too much, I'm going "hyperspeed" and it makes him look bad.

Ever since he said that I've been crushed. We've been rocky for a month or so now since he started questioning his major again. He needs to graduate. I'm moving across the country for my job and I wont be here to wake him up and help him study.

He's been doing better, applying to jobs and even got a tutor for finals since then. But I'm still... frustrated. And since he said the hyperspeed thing the other night, I can't stop agonizing over it.

I worked hard. I got my jobs by networking my rear end off and scraping dollars together to attend professional conferences students don't normally go to. I've been fortunate and lucky in some cases but it's only because I positioned myself to get lucky, if that makes sense. I don't want to slow down. I don't want to stop planning.

He loves me a lot and it would hurt so much to leave him. Am I being unreasonable?

TL;DR Bf and I haven't been great, but now I'm being too successful and ambitious and it makes him feel bad. Not sure if I should leave or not.
Jesus, when 20 year old people go into couples therapy the therapist should tell them to gtfo, break up and not waste their time. "The first 2 years..." at such a young age. Sure they're both young enough to be still loving around but that girl should ditch the loser bringing her down, young people are so dumb.

EDIT: her fresh comment

quote:

The post doesn't convey how sweet he can be when he spends time with me. But I was clearly not a priority for a long time.

God this sucks. First relationship. Now a first break up coming. Was probably bound to happen but it's a lot.
Thank god.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 14, 2017