Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Volmarias posted:

Frankly if you can do anything from the infotainment system, you'll do what the manufacturer could not.

I played angry birds on a recent delta flight. It was pretty good, even for a low dpi capacitive touch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Imagine if your job is creating fart apps but for airline entertainment systems :gonk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Imagine if your job is creating fart apps but for airline entertainment systems :gonk:

Lead ColdFusion Wizard

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spankmeister posted:

an ex manager at my old job was a test engineer for airline entertainment systems and he was far and away the worst programmer and manager ive ever met.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

spankmeister posted:

So I popped to the last page after not reading for a bit, and I'm now wondering what the dickens is going on.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

the box itself takes literal years to go from prototype to flight ready and that includes being locked in to specific chips and poo poo

not hard to see why there’s a push for wifi

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://zwclose.github.io/HP-keylogger/
has this been posted yet?

quote:

TL;DR: HP had a keylogger in the keyboard driver. The keylogger saved scan codes to a WPP trace. The logging was disabled by default but could be enabled by setting a registry value (UAC required). Get the list of affected hardware and patch here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05827409

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

why would you possibly care about this though? the only thing i can come up with where it'd matter on a security level is that it limits the possible aslr entropy, but even that is very minor, making this a hugely irrelevant number on a spec-sheet for almost all purposes

64-bit is the delineation for enforcing kernel driver signing. Maybe they'll shoehorn that in to ARM as well but if they're building it off x86 I doubt it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

64-bit is the delineation for enforcing kernel driver signing. Maybe they'll shoehorn that in to ARM as well but if they're building it off x86 I doubt it

I thought the limitation on signing enforcement on 32 was compatibility with the billion unsigned 32-bit drivers out there. 64-bit let them set the rules for a new ecosystem, and they could do that on ARM as well.

can’t you turn on enforcement on 32-bit, if you have a carefully curated set of drivers?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've never seen a user-controllable way to do it. Maybe somewhere in the guts of the thing the capability is there if you patch the right file though it will probably die when it sees the signing on the module you tampered with is wrong

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought you could do it with a boot flag, but I’m on my phone and the first few pages on Google are all about disabling.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I went through all the bcdedit parameters and I don't see anything that looks like it will enable signing for 32-bit

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah yeah, this is a good point. as was pointed out above i think this is not the case arm, because at least the old s/rt stuff i am pretty sure had to be all signed, so it'd be weird to drop that. still, this is a solid reason why phasing out x86 does matter a bit

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the box itself takes literal years to go from prototype to flight ready and that includes being locked in to specific chips and poo poo

not hard to see why there’s a push for wifi

It is also becoming quite popular to implement in-flight servers as wireless "carry-on" boxes that are just stuck on a shelf and never connected to aircraft systems via any physical cables, thereby avoiding the need for FAA certification. They just swap them out during stops to recharge. However, battery life is an issue - no good to have inflight movies for the first 2 hours of your 10 hour trip!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EssOEss posted:

It is also becoming quite popular to implement in-flight servers as wireless "carry-on" boxes that are just stuck on a shelf and never connected to aircraft systems via any physical cables, thereby avoiding the need for FAA certification. They just swap them out during stops to recharge. However, battery life is an issue - no good to have inflight movies for the first 2 hours of your 10 hour trip!
it's kind of weird that that would have to have a battery but i can plug in my 15" mbp just fine

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

EssOEss posted:

Why not just have five of them? Or have two battery slots and have the air crew swap in fresh batteries as necessary?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.zerodayinitiative.com/blog/2017/12/13/remote-root-in-directvs-wireless-video-bridge-a-tale-of-rage-and-despair

command injection by user-agent string :downsa:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Also, DV-LINK is at it again

https://bgpmon.net/popular-destinations-rerouted-to-russia/

fins fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 13, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I went through all the bcdedit parameters and I don't see anything that looks like it will enable signing for 32-bit

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx

It looks like nointegritychecks might do it.

https://www.technipages.com/enable-disable-device-driver-signing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thanks to the verbose logging on this page I could see that changing my user-agent to "; id; uname -a #" had indeed changed the syntax of the command to be executed. The return value also showed the device had happily executed my new commands and executed them as the root user, too! No login prompt. No input sanitization. Very helpful, verbose output. It literally took 30 seconds of looking at this device to find and verify an unauthenticated remote root command injection vulnerability. It was at this point that I became pretty frustrated.
06/14/17 - ZDI disclosed the report to the vendor (security@linksys.com)
09/14/17 - ZDI sent a follow-up to the vendor requesting a status update
10/10/17 - ZDI sent a follow-up to the vendor requesting a status update
11/20/17 - ZDI notified the vendor of the intent to release the 0-day report on 12/12
We have never received any reply.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

krebs was right!

Three Anime Fans Plead Guilty to Creating Mirai

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

anime is a disease

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Thanks to the verbose logging on this page I could see that changing my user-agent to "; id; uname -a #" had indeed changed the syntax of the command to be executed. The return value also showed the device had happily executed my new commands and executed them as the root user, too! No login prompt. No input sanitization. Very helpful, verbose output. It literally took 30 seconds of looking at this device to find and verify an unauthenticated remote root command injection vulnerability. It was at this point that I became pretty frustrated.
06/14/17 - ZDI disclosed the report to the vendor (security@linksys.com)
09/14/17 - ZDI sent a follow-up to the vendor requesting a status update
10/10/17 - ZDI sent a follow-up to the vendor requesting a status update
11/20/17 - ZDI notified the vendor of the intent to release the 0-day report on 12/12
We have never received any reply.

Astounding.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/GCHQ/status/941241855102083073

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, seeing how that one in isolation appears to just be ansi terminal escape codes for some, among others, red and yellow text, i'd guess it is going to be stupid but non-nefarious

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yeah, if you look back at the previous days, it's shaping up to be "print out a colourful christmas tree"

or at least, that's what it's going to look like it's done...

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Verge says Minecraft is to blame: https://www.wired.com/story/mirai-botnet-minecraft-scam-brought-down-the-internet/

edit: ugh... my mind is not working. Wired obv.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 14, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That was a good read. Thanks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there's a good krebs article about it too where he internet detectives some of the authors via their love of some anime character. this was way before any court stuff too

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/who-is-anna-senpai-the-mirai-worm-author/

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there's a good krebs article about it too where he internet detectives some of the authors via their love of some anime character. this was way before any court stuff too

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/who-is-anna-senpai-the-mirai-worm-author/

Verge article was good. Flashback to Krebs article is always great.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Jabor posted:

yeah, if you look back at the previous days, it's shaping up to be "print out a colourful christmas tree"

or at least, that's what it's going to look like it's done...

the classic Christmas tree attack

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i too wish it was 2009 and not 2017 but alas

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

somebody calling themselves Dr. Cyborkian is claiming they spent the last year operating botnets that bricked everything that could be bricked

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Well, he didn't, because I have something very very vulnerable exposed in a terrifying way because of awful business needs.

afaik it's still chugging away

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah that's been making the rounds and adds up to events previously seen in the year. notably their reasoning is disabling iot devices that were already being targeted to minimise damage

the work in the background of this makes a single person unlikely, but this isn't the first time an anonymous post has appeared from an entity claiming to be a single person with no security background and showing a lot of credible evidence they've done what they've said (e.g. the internet census 2012)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

poisonpill posted:

the classic Christmas tree attack

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah that's been making the rounds and adds up to events previously seen in the year. notably their reasoning is disabling iot devices that were already being targeted to minimise damage

the work in the background of this makes a single person unlikely, but this isn't the first time an anonymous post has appeared from an entity claiming to be a single person with no security background and showing a lot of credible evidence they've done what they've said (e.g. the internet census 2012)
if something like that were actually happening i would expect to have seen a lot more "hey my iot lightbulbs stopped working after a poc regarding this same model of iot lightbulbs was published"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

if something like that were actually happening i would expect to have seen a lot more "hey my iot lightbulbs stopped working after a poc regarding this same model of iot lightbulbs was published"
yeah it's pretty unlikely to be happening, but there is precedent for events of this magnitude to actually happen

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

i just realized that at some point i started reading iot as idiot of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

i just realized that at some point i started reading iot as idiot of things

Well, you're not necessarily wrong.

• Locked thread