Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

infernal machines posted:

my card specifically says "swipe not allowed" if you try to use the magstripe on a terminal that has a chip reader

simple, just put the card through the washer. if reading the chip fails enough times, it will accept a swipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i get that this is the android thread, so doing stupid poo poo specifically to bypass security is de rigueur, but why would i want to do that?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
so you cab swipe your card. Duh!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

what if android but no apps and a six year old browser that will never again be updated

pretty sure you can buy that android new in a store today

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chip is too slow, so sabotaging my card and having to wait for it to fail 3 times and take the card in and out so I can eventually swipe is a totally feasible solution

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

pretty sure you can buy that android new in a store today

pretty sure every new android in stores comes preloaded with thousands of your service provider's best apps for your enjoyment

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Plank Walker posted:

pretty sure every new android in stores comes preloaded with thousands of your service provider's best apps for your enjoyment

the unspoken part of "no apps" is "worth using"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you get a new credit card every 4 years right? i've had a chip for 3 then. i think i've used it 3 times, plus once when i put it in the reader and the cashier told me i have to swipe it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

you get a new credit card every 4 years right? i've had a chip for 3 then. i think i've used it 3 times, plus once when i put it in the reader and the cashier told me i have to swipe it

if you can go four years without a breach or using the wrong gas pump or having it delaminate or…

current card is metal, let’s see how it holds up

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you can go four years without a breach or using the wrong gas pump or having it delaminate or…

current card is metal, let’s see how it holds up

you put diesel in your credit card by accident?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but my card gets skimmed so frequently!

*~posts about 80 ways of disabling/bypassing the chip*~

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i just assume those metal cards are going to get bent to poo poo by my fat rear end

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

what if android but no apps and a six year old browser that will never again be updated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYEDdSndCtg

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

im still using my samsung flip-phone from 2006. it gives a warning that it's not provisioned every time i turn it on and it fails to ring half the time people call me, but it still "works"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HoboMan posted:

im still using my samsung flip-phone from 2006. it gives a warning that it's not provisioned every time i turn it on and it fails to ring half the time people call me, but it still "works"

this was me up until ~2012 or so, with a samsung flip from 2001

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HoboMan posted:

"my phone fails at the most basic phone functions" is a v android statement

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

HoboMan posted:

:chloe:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HoboMan posted:

im the username post combo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
https://twitter.com/androidpolice/status/940740081110867969

this is what we call a massive failure

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
how many billions of dollars did rubin raise to produce this stillbirth?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
inessential

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"look at the bright side, we still sold 100x more units than the microsoft kin!"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

the pre-sale valuation of the company was the product of an extremely thoughtful and totally sane market

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao im seeing a lot of spin out there - "50000 isn't that bad for a startup" and "well it's gonna get android 8.1!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that's including the firesale sprint just had that goons and slickdeals types were getting in on

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
still have more hard evidence of sales than for the iwatch

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

as stated the way this gets discovered is via a play store entry that shows the total number of downloads for an app that is only available for one model of phone

i wonder what happens when you look at an app which is only available for the pixel

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
google are ashamed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

There are two possibilities here. First, this could simply be a bug in the listing that Google will fix at some point. Second, Google is locking the install count to hide the number of Pixels in the wild. As Pixels are the only phones that run the Pixel Launcher, this install count gives a general estimate of total sales. Before this change, the Pixel Launcher was in the 1-5 million installs group.

It looks like Google has made the same change to all the Pixel-exclusive apps. ARCore, Data Transfer Tool, and others are all locked to 1-5 installs as well.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

why do you have to download the camera app from the store?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Generic Monk posted:

it’s anroid

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Generic Monk posted:

Purportedly for easier and quicker updates because otherwise they have to do it via an OTA update.

In short

Themage posted:

it’s anroid

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

you dont its preinstalled but if its on the store the manufacturer can update it without having to push an update to the phone. phone updates are routinely blocked by carriers so this allows the manufacturer to actually fix things without having verizon stopping them

large portions of the os itself are also broken into apps which are on the store for the same reason

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol what a mess

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

lol what a mess

Themage posted:

it’s anroid

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Last Chance posted:

lol what a mess

its worse than i presented in the interest of clarity

weirdly there some os framework "apps" on the store that can be updated silently like google play services and the store itself so one would have to wonder why things like the webview or carrier frameworks need to present updates to the user. if a user were so inclined they could avoid updating apps critical to security by doing so within the play store interface (and its android so users are definitely inclined to do this)

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the pre-sale valuation of the company was the product of an extremely thoughtful and totally sane market

anroid nerds desperately want a phone that isn’t bad but are too snobby to consider an iphone so it was at least extremely predictable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
why do these rinky dink companies keep imagining they can compete with apple and samsung and LG

high-end smartphone production seems to be spectacularly capital-intensive

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why do these rinky dink companies keep imagining they can compete with apple and samsung and LG

high-end smartphone production seems to be spectacularly capital-intensive

this one was andy rubin cashing in on his name to get sick vc money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

this one was andy rubin cashing in on his name to get sick vc money

when someone milks their name for a flop can we call it

rubin one out?