Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Here we go

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42353545

quote:

Walt Disney buys Murdoch's Fox for $52bn

Walt Disney says it is to buy 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets for $52.4bn (£39bn).

The deal includes Fox's 39% stake in satellite broadcaster Sky, and the 20th Century Fox film studio, Disney announced.

Fox's remaining assets, including news and sports, will form a new company.

The deal ends more than half a century of media expansion by Mr Murdoch, who is 86 years old.

He turned a single Australian newspaper he inherited from his father at the age of 21 into one of the world's largest news and film empires.

Mr Murdoch's shift to selling assets rather than buying them has come as a surprise to those who expected him to hand over the businesses to his sons, James and Lachlan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Disgusting

Serf
May 5, 2011

thanks i hate it

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Top Gun posted:

It also means:
-the Alien and Predator franchises can be relaunched properly (Possibly within the Star Wars Universe this time?)
-Avatar Land in Walt Disney World can now be expanded as Fox is the distributor and production partner of James Cameron
-The entire X-Men Universe and Fantastic Four can be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and can now be used in theme parks (except Orlando)
-Murdoch will be able to finance Fox News for the next few decades and rebuild them back into a conservative powerhouse that can take on Breitbart
-Home Alone, Cocoon, Independence Day and Die Hard can all be relaunched
-Disney will own Hulu
-Family Guy, Simpsons, and King of the Hill are now part of the Walt Disney Company

These are just off the top of my head. It's a win win win for everyone

BRING BACK FIREFLY MOTHERFUCKERS

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

BRING BACK FIREFLY MOTHERFUCKERS

Depends. How much are you willing to pay for Disney's Hulu?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Top Gun posted:

Ridleys plan for the Alien franchise is to focus on AI is the big threat and main story and less aliens. He’s been talking this up in interviews. After Covenant he should be fired from the franchise. It needs a completely new direction and relaunch.

Ridley Scott should be fired from the franchise? He made Alien with the likes of Giger. It’s his series. You don’t fire him and continue on. Does Scott hold the rights?

I mean granted I suppose you could fire Michaelango before he finishes the Sistine Chapel and hire Liefeld’s ancestor who tries his best to draw foot anatomy but why? For the morbid who want to pay to see train wrecks?

EDIT: Disney buying Marvel I feel is what kickstarted his whole thing. It’s been good for them.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just give me a properly done DOOM and Galactus and we'll call it good yeah?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Scyantific posted:

Just give me a properly done DOOM and Galactus and we'll call it good yeah?

I feel like either James Gunn or Taika Waititi stand a good chance at doing Galactus justice.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I can see it now. Galactus is looming over planet earth, people are panicking, this is the end of the world... And then a homeless guy looks up in terror and says "boy howdy did i pick a bad day to stop doing meth!"

Galactus eats earth, burps, moves on, all the while F4 are watching helplessly from a spaceship.

Thing says "aint that revoltin'"

Qué credits

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Silver Surfer: You're so selfish! There's no I in Galactus!

Galactus: But there is an *us*

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well

We just had some excellent news from Alabama

Of course something had to fall to pieces, why not let it be Hollywood

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you don't like David, there's the airlock yo.

I need to see what hijinks my boy gets into. Don't take this from me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gonz posted:

That sound you hear faintly in the distance is Disney executives rolling up to Hugh Jackman's house with a dump truck full of 24 karat gold bricks.

Also, the dump truck itself is gold plated. Every last piece.

Gold is very soft so this wouldn't work. It wouldn't support the weight of a dump truck full of itself. And by that I mean a dump truck full of gold, not a dump truck that's really haughty and conceited.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This buyout is loving disgusting.

A big "gently caress you" to any nerds just thinking for themselves and all their action figures finally being able to have sex with each other.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

This buyout is loving disgusting.

A big "gently caress you" to any nerds just thinking for themselves and all their action figures finally being able to have sex with each other.

No but you see this means I can finally see Iron man take on darth vader on a death star being attacked by galactus while Captain Sparrow and Captain America fight of the Alien and predator team up!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is there any possibility for the buyout being denied over accusations of Monopoly or something? :ohdear:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

What's funny is, Reeve's Superman is not that dissimilar to Synder's take right up until he went into the Fortress of Solitude for like, a year and came out THE SUPERMAN

Donner's whole Superman is about Clark finding what it means to be Superman. He is certainly no "THE SUPERMAN" when he flies away from the Fotress. He's still very much Clark Kent in a suit.

Reeves' Superman doesn't reveal himself to the world until someone personal to him (Lois) is in trouble, only after his actions are seen by the world does he take to fighting bad guys, and the only bad guys he fights are common thieves. Which of course leads him to the moment of hubris when the first time he encounters someone who's intellectually his superior (Lex), it nearly leads to his death. It's interesting that his salvation comes only because of someone else's selfish motives (Miss Tessmacher's desire to save her mother), who wouldn't have been in danger in the first place is Superman hadn't revealed himself to the world.

Then there's the whole baptism metaphor with Superman putting someone else's desires (promising to save Miss Techmacher's mother) over his own wants. He even pleads to be allowed to save Lois first. Reeves' Superman is one who is very much flawed. People just overlook it because they expect a "flawed" character to be full of angst all the time.

Sometime when people talk about Superman The Movie, I wonder if they even watched it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Nah, hasbro isnt involved

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"This acquisition reflects a changing media landscape increasingly defined by transformative technology and evolving consumer expectations" Disney CEO Bob Iger said in a call with investors and analysts. "Today's empowered consumers want more: more compelling, high quality entertainment; more access to content; more choice; and more convenience."

"Which is why we're trying to create a monopoly."

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Burkion posted:

Well

We just had some excellent news from Alabama

Of course something had to fall to pieces, why not let it be Hollywood

Net Neutrality vote today as well. Take your pick.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Donner's whole Superman is about Clark finding what it means to be Superman. He is certainly no "THE SUPERMAN" when he flies away from the Fotress. He's still very much Clark Kent in a suit.

Reeves' Superman doesn't reveal himself to the world until someone personal to him (Lois) is in trouble, only after his actions are seen by the world does he take to fighting bad guys, and the only bad guys he fights are common thieves. Which of course leads him to the moment of hubris when the first time he encounters someone who's intellectually his superior (Lex), it nearly leads to his death. It's interesting that his salvation comes only because of someone else's selfish motives (Miss Tessmacher's desire to save her mother), who wouldn't have been in danger in the first place is Superman hadn't revealed himself to the world.

Then there's the whole baptism metaphor with Superman putting someone else's desires (promising to save Miss Techmacher's mother) over his own wants. He even pleads to be allowed to save Lois first. Reeves' Superman is one who is very much flawed. People just overlook it because they expect a "flawed" character to be full of angst all the time.

Sometime when people talk about Superman The Movie, I wonder if they even watched it.

The main thing that I was referring to, which I decided not to go into because it would be a whole thing

After Superman leaves the fortress, we rarely see him as a person again. He's there, HE IS there, but it's muddled because he wears two different masks.

He wears the mask of Clark Kent Buffoon and he wears the mask of Superman, demi god savior of all

We only get to see the REAL Clark in very brief moments there after, the real person behind both facades.

He especially shows up when Lois dies and he's just unable to cope with that. Refuses to allow that to happen.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Fantastic Four are included in the Disney-Fox deal.

https://screenrant.com/disney-fox-deal-marvel-fantastic-four/

quote:

The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. The addition of Avatar to its family of films also promises expanded opportunities for consumers to watch and experience storytelling within these extraordinary fantasy worlds. Already, guests at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort can experience the magic of Pandora—The World of Avatar, a new land inspired by the Fox film franchise that opened earlier this year. And through the incredible storytelling of National Geographic—whose mission is to explore and protect our planet and inspire new generations through education initiatives and resources—Disney will be able to offer more ways than ever before to bring kids and families the world and all that is in it.

Fantastic Four / National Geographic crossover :swoon:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

10 Beers posted:

Net Neutrality vote today as well. Take your pick.

loving Christ

Fine

Take your morally bankrupt monopoly if that nightmare doesn't happen

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

The main thing that I was referring to, which I decided not to go into because it would be a whole thing

After Superman leaves the fortress, we rarely see him as a person again. He's there, HE IS there, but it's muddled because he wears two different masks.

He wears the mask of Clark Kent Buffoon and he wears the mask of Superman, demi god savior of all

We only get to see the REAL Clark in very brief moments there after, the real person behind both facades.

He especially shows up when Lois dies and he's just unable to cope with that. Refuses to allow that to happen.

It’s there and the other time we see the real him is when he reveals himself to Lois in the Niagara Falls hotel room after he’s supposed to have burned his hand. And I think in the diner when he’s powerless. When he’s vulnerable.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Fantastic Four are included in the Disney-Fox deal.

https://screenrant.com/disney-fox-deal-marvel-fantastic-four/

Fantastic Four / National Geographic crossover :swoon:

That’s the poo poo that’s needed. Nation Geographic sells its exploding of space and the world with the Fantastic Four guiding the journey.

EDIT: Oh poo poo....PLEASE REPLACE TONY STARK WITH SCROOGE MCDUCK AT ONCE. Thank you. And get me Darkwing in the Avengers please. He can be the teams Batman.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 14, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is there any possibility for the buyout being denied over accusations of Monopoly or something? :ohdear:

with this legislative and executive branch?

:laffo:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Seers, Oracles

(1998)

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 14, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Antitrust laws haven't been used for like a decade at this time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

If you don't like David, there's the airlock yo.

I need to see what hijinks my boy gets into. Don't take this from me.

I agree with you but I mean, this is exactly what happened to Snyder's DC series so why wouldn't it happen to Ridley's Alien stuff? The general audience hates it and complains about stuff not making sense and it underperforms at the box office so it will get increasing studio interference until poo poo's unrecognizable and the director we love leaves. There is no reason to hope :smith:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm having trouble seeing how Snyder's Superman is existentialist, but I fully admit to finding that philosophy largely uncompelling.

Superman spends all of Man of Steel wrestling with the question of who he is and what his abilities oblige him to do; his main moral guide, Kevin Costner, refuses to instruct him except by example.

Zod, the antagonist, sees all his own actions as determined. He was made to protect his people and he cannot do anything else. This bad faith is uncovered in the final act when, with the death of the remaining Kryptonians, he acts freely in revenge on Superman. Superman choses to kill him, aware and accepting of the monstrosity of his act.

The codex, and the discussion on bringing back the glories of Krypton, are also fairly straightforward existentialism. Why attribute to Kryptonian society the potential for more great wonders when that is exactly what it did not achieve? Krypton is literally the sum of the people who lived on it, in the physical object of the codex.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Antitrust laws haven't been used for like a decade at this time.

Nah, regulators blocked the Sprint and T-Mobile merger just a few months ago.

They won't block this, though, because it doesn't affect the Fox TV network, and IP consolidation doesn't fall under antitrust rules.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

lmao murdoch would rather have disney own his assets rather than his kids running things

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PenguinKnight posted:

lmao murdoch would rather have disney own his assets rather than his kids running things

One of Murdoch's kids is now being discussed as a potential successor to Iger.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In school we were taught rule of thumb for actionable monopolies was around 70% market share.

According to the only thing I found cited multiple places:
https://www.the-numbers.com/market/2016/distributors
...this deal moves Disney from 26% to 39%. WB next at 17%, Universal at 13%, etc. I think it would be too low, although if adjusted 2017 numbers bump that up nearer to 50% there might be some foothold legally.

But the Justice Department is currently trying to block AT&T/Time Warner so maybe this won't be as open-shut as it seems... the current landscape is so unpredictable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think Trump's Justice department will put any roadblocks in front of something Rupert Murdoch wants to do

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Davros1 posted:

Reeves' Superman is one who is very much flawed. People just overlook it because they expect a "flawed" character to be full of angst all the time.

Reeves only flaw is that he decides, for no earthly reason, to pretend to be a stupid greasy nerd around a woman he loves. There's zero motivation given for this, zero reason for him to act this way. It's actually really dumb. (his Superman is top notch Daddy Superman, though).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 14, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think Trump's Justice department will put any roadblocks in front of something Rupert Murdoch wants to do

Particularly since the Justice Department's complaint about AT&T/Time-Warner seems to revolve around CNN, against whom Trump holds a grudge.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Timby posted:

One of Murdoch's kids is now being discussed as a potential successor to Iger.

Murdoch's kids are worthless by the way, Lachlan just lost a stack of money, influence, and political capital for Fox getting outmaneuvered by unions and CBS in a TV channel purchase here in Australia

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reeves only flaw is that he decides, for no earthly reason, to pretend to be a stupid greasy nerd around a woman he loves. There's zero motivation given for this, zero reason for him to act this way. It's actually really dumb. (his Superman is top notch Daddy Superman, though).

Yeah this is my main problem with Donner films. I hate "Oh gee whiz Lois, aw shucks, aw beans, that sure seems risky oh boy" nerd Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
SMG has a good analysis of it that makes sense from a thematic perspective but as a character beat it's wack as hell.

Davros1's framing of Superman loving Lois and wanting to protect her, or Superman having mixed desires, as "flaws" is frankly really bizarre. That's just motivation.

• Locked thread