Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Huh I always kind of assumed the sentimentalism was Chris Columbus

I can assure you Chris Columbus doesn't understand what makes the stories he's had a hand in bringing to the screen good or interesting.

But no, his script involved the Gremlins killing and eating the dog, decapitating people, and other really dark violent stuff. I'm sure there's a list of things in the original script, or maybe even a copy of his version floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A few years ago I would've defended Columbus solely on the first Harry Potter flicks, which I called the best.

Then I rewatched them. Lmao.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Is Get Out on HBO only the alternate ending? They really don't have the theatrical anywhere?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

A few years ago I would've defended Columbus solely on the first Harry Potter flicks, which I called the best.

Then I rewatched them. Lmao.

Sorcerer's Stone is pretty clumsy, but still impressive for what it is. Chamber of Secrets I think is legit good though, just not quite as good as the Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The_Rob posted:

Is Get Out on HBO only the alternate ending? They really don't have the theatrical anywhere?

I just checked it, that was the original ending I saw in theater... I know another ending exists but I haven't seen it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I just checked it, that was the original ending I saw in theater... I know another ending exists but I haven't seen it.

Oh that's really weird. Because on the app it just says alternate ending on the cover.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Oh that's really weird. Because on the app it just says alternate ending on the cover.

That's just something they do. I've seen HBO use the covers for Logan Noir and Fury Road Black and Chrome for the regular theatrical versions. It's never an alternate version unless the text title says otherwise.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Franchescanado posted:

I can assure you Chris Columbus doesn't understand what makes the stories he's had a hand in bringing to the screen good or interesting.
You say that, but the rest of the post leads me to believe he's responsible for the scene where the mom sticks a gremlin in the microwave

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You say that, but the rest of the post leads me to believe he's responsible for the scene where the mom sticks a gremlin in the microwave

Yeah that's probably true. And killing the science teacher with a syringe.

edit: Here is the original(?) script by Chris Columbus. Of course the shopkeeper is called ORIENTAL MAN and not ASIAN MAN or anything more specific.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 13, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah that's probably true. And killing the science teacher with a syringe.

edit: Here is the original(?) script by Chris Columbus. Of course the shopkeeper is called ORIENTAL MAN and not ASIAN MAN or anything more specific.

It was the 80's, saying "oriental" was the proto-PC thing to say instead of chinaman or even worse.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Finally watched Paris Is Burning after having it in my list for years. It was perfect and amazing. It’s probably entered my list of favorite docs alongside Hoop Dreams, American Movie, and various Herzog things. Plus now I finally understand HUNDU’s avatar.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Edit...nevermind

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I just realized that Bright comes out on the 22nd and god drat am I looking forward to Training Day but in Shadowrun.

It's directed by David Ayer who is in his element with it being a cop movie taking place in LA and written by Max Landis, who I think can be hit and miss, but I'm pretty optimistic about the story being cool since offbeat stuff is his specialty. From what I've seen of Smith and Edgerton, they seem like they have great chemistry.

I can tell that even if it turns out to be trash somehow, I'm gonna love every second of it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

There's a short documentary on prime called Living Dolls about doll collectors. And not just 'I have a few high-end Barbies' but in the severe mental illness range. It's morbidly fascinating. Home equity loan for gently caress Dolls.

Bonus: when they introduced the one guy, David, I didn't think much of it, until they introduced his 'girlfriend' Bianca, then I let out the loudest 'Ohhhhhhhhhh!'

If any of you guys hung out in GBS during the insanity of the dollfucker thread Dave Hockey showed up trying to throw down against goons. He also owns the actual doll used in Lars and the Real Girl but spent thousands of dollars to make her 'functional

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

There's a short documentary on prime called Living Dolls about doll collectors. And not just 'I have a few high-end Barbies' but in the severe mental illness range. It's morbidly fascinating. Home equity loan for gently caress Dolls.

Bonus: when they introduced the one guy, David, I didn't think much of it, until they introduced his 'girlfriend' Bianca, then I let out the loudest 'Ohhhhhhhhhh!'

If any of you guys hung out in GBS during the insanity of the dollfucker thread Dave Hockey showed up trying to throw down against goons. He also owns the actual doll used in Lars and the Real Girl but spent thousands of dollars to make her 'functional

God drat, as soon as I saw you said "Bianca" I was like "ohhhh gently caress". I lurked the hell out of the dollfucker thread. I'm gonna have to check that out. Unrelated, is there a way to remove a movie you've watched from your viewing history?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God drat, as soon as I saw you said "Bianca" I was like "ohhhh gently caress". I lurked the hell out of the dollfucker thread. I'm gonna have to check that out. Unrelated, is there a way to remove a movie you've watched from your viewing history?
Actually, there is: https://m.wikihow.com/Delete-Recently-Watched-Movies-or-Shows-on-Netflix

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Unrelated, is there a way to remove a movie you've watched from your viewing history?

Netflix will still know, and their social media guy is going to throw you under the bus as soon as he runs out of material.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sarchasm posted:

Netflix will still know, and their social media guy is going to throw you under the bus as soon as he runs out of material.

These are the risks you take when you watch documentaries about people loving dolls. Roll the dice!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

These are the risks you take when you watch documentaries about people loving dolls. Roll the dice!

Guys, it's not that bad. Only one of the people in the doc is a dollfucker. The other three are weird-rear end doll people, but they draw the line at loving.

One's a weird hoarder guy that modifies dolls to look like robots (but then makes stop motion movies about said robots banging), one guy is obsessed with Barbie, lives with his mom and barely leaves the house, and the third is a lonely, depressed SAHM with weird gender/sexuality issues that is driving her family crippling debt/financial ruin because she can't stop buying dolls and doll-related poo poo (I feel so bad for her husband and kids).

The Dave Hockey parts are straight up goddamn nasty.

E: I also exposed myself as an internet weirdo because my boyfriend had no clue why I reacted so strongly once I realized it was Dave Hockey. I had to pause and explain the dollfucker saga. I'd like to think his bewilderment was at the tale, not that I knew the details.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 14, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Finally watched Paris Is Burning after having it in my list for years. It was perfect and amazing. It’s probably entered my list of favorite docs alongside Hoop Dreams, American Movie, and various Herzog things. Plus now I finally understand HUNDU’s avatar.

It's definitely a must watch for everybody. And for many reasons.

1) For a peak into one aspect of queer life in the 1980s.

2) More specifically, queer people of color.

3) More specifically, many trans people of color.

4) As the direct origin of so much pop culture still relevant today. So much slang. So much dancing. So much music. None of it would have happened if it wasn't for this movie documenting this specific scene in New York 1980s.

Edit: Also relevant and also on Netflix, Strike a Pose. A documentary about the dancers who choreographed Madonna's "Vogue" video, and were on her Blonde Ambition Tour. The way she just totally stole from gay culture, exploited those men, and threw them in the trash when she was done with them really disgusted me.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 14, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Haha, yessss

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Where is Paris Is Burning available? I’ve been meaning to watch it since I learned it’s HUNDU’s avatar.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That is a pic of what HUNDU really looks like and I won't hear otherwise.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
If it wasn't for PIB I'd probably still think Madonna invented voguing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Where is Paris Is Burning available? I’ve been meaning to watch it since I learned it’s HUNDU’s avatar.

Do you even have to ask?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hedJer7I1vI

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's also on Netflix.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's been streaming on Netflix for years and years and years.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Voyeur is pretty loving insane

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Best world war 1 movie on streaming?

On second thought, the question is "does a ww1 movie exist at all other than Wonder Woman".

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Idk if it’s on Netflix but Gallipoli is a decent ww1 movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

Best world war 1 movie on streaming?

On second thought, the question is "does a ww1 movie exist at all other than Wonder Woman".

War Horse by Spielberg

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Lawrence of Arabia
Paths of Glory

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aces High is on Prime and The Blue Max was on there at some point. Two good movies about WW1 aviators.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Lost City of Z has some WWI in it iirc

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nroo posted:

Lawrence of Arabia
Paths of Glory

While I agree I don't see them on any streaming services

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

eighty-four merc posted:

Lost City of Z has some WWI in it iirc

Yea, and it stars Tom Holland and is based on a true story!

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

While I agree I don't see them on any streaming services

It looks like Lawrence of Arabia is on ... Starz?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Jean-Claude Van Johnson is on Amazon Prime Video and it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQ72f-jjx4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dave Made a Maze is on Hulu already, it's definitely a good wacky little indie comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oh wow Prime is entirely useless overseas, guess I'll have to make a new netflix account and remember to cancel it before the month is up.