Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m just confused by the order of the names. Why aren’t they listed in the same order they’re shown on the poster? It’s not alphabetical. Is it in order of popularity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who is directing that Ocean's 8 ?

Gary "The Hunger Games" Ross.

Also god drat your custom text.

Alhazred posted:

They seriously couldn't find 11 actresses?

It's a sequel / sidequel. Sandra Bullock is Danny Ocean's sister; Matt Damon has a cameo.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 14, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why would they not make Julia Roberts one of the eight?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why would they not make Julia Roberts one of the eight?

They’re saving her for the after-credits Ocean’s Cinematic Universe teaser.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I’m just confused by the order of the names. Why aren’t they listed in the same order they’re shown on the poster? It’s not alphabetical. Is it in order of popularity?

Order of names on the poster follows more complex rules where recognition might be expressed through either coming early in the list or having a special credit like "with Rihanna," whereas the left-to-right placement and relative size of their images is more cleanly an ordering of how famous they are as movie stars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thwomp posted:

uh, what?
SHIELD and the Avengers are a different entity in every film in which they appear. The DoD actually pulled out of participating in The Avengers because they were utterly confused about how they were being portrayed.

Steve Rogers is a different character in every film, so that the only trait that consistently resonates with fans is that he's cute and he might be gay. (There's more continuity between the first two Captain America movies and The Guest than there is with Age of Ultron and Civil War.) Mark Ruffalo's Hulk has the same "soft reboot" continuity with Ed Norton's Hulk that exists between Christan Bale's Batman and Ben Affleck's Batman.

That's without even touching on things that go beyond plot continuity and world-building.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Phylodox posted:

Names are almost never in the same order as the people below. A lot of actors have clauses in their contracts about top billing on posters and the exact order of names is often the result of a lot of negotiations by a bunch of lawyers.

I vaguely remember some 70s disaster movie where two actors wouldn't budge on top billing so eventually they compromised by one of their names being first but the second name being slightly above the other names.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Alhazred posted:

Maybe its a planned trilogy? Oceans 8, 9, and 10. Its like star wars. :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Names are almost never in the same order as the people below. A lot of actors have clauses in their contracts about top billing on posters and the exact order of names is often the result of a lot of negotiations by a bunch of lawyers.

Heck, Jack Nicholson had top billing on Batman, despite not being the lead, due to his contract.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cage posted:

Maybe its a planned trilogy? Oceans 8, 9, and 10. Its like star wars. :v:

God, don't give them ideas, soon we'll start getting stuff like "The Start of the Seven: The Crimes of Calvera" or some poo poo.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Timby posted:

Also god drat your custom text.

Oh well thanks for pointing that out so I went back to look at it

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The women's version of the Ocean franchise only gets 79% of the budget of the men's version.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ALFbrot posted:

Oh well thanks for pointing that out so I went back to look at it

Same here.

DON'T GO BACK AND READ HIS RED TEXT, IT'S SPOILERS FOR THE LAST JEDI!

Unless they're fake spoilers. Which I hope they are now.

gently caress.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

Awkwafina is a horrible stage name, holy poo poo.

It represents the purity of her vag

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Same here.

DON'T GO BACK AND READ HIS RED TEXT, IT'S SPOILERS FOR THE LAST JEDI!

Unless they're fake spoilers. Which I hope they are now.

gently caress.

That would be implying that there's anything in Last Jedi to spoil.

There's really nothing in Star Wars to spoil after Empire Strikes Back.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

Uh, what's your reasoning for that?

Any movie with the MCU logo on it is going to do $$$ unless they release a few absolute stinkers in a row, I don't think that's really up for debate at this point.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know anything about that,

They literally can't say Captain America on Netflix Marvel. They have to refer to everyone as "the shield thrower" and "the green guy." They also don't acknowledge any events in the movies beyond the NYC battle in Avengers 1 but even that is just called "the incident."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the post credits scene where Luuke walked into the resistance base and says "You're gonna need a bigger Luke"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The post-credit scene actually reveals that Bigger Luke is an imperial lie and the real truth is Smaller Han

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Does anybody even watch the marvel TV shows? Like the movies are at the last watchable, some even being fun and cool, but the TV shows just kinda suck all around. I get not having a budget for cgi for sfx or whatever but the quality of the acting, writing, and editing just stinks

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"I've got a big feeling about this."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like all powerful men, it is revealed that Luke is a shitbag when he makes inappropriate sexual advances towards Rey. She uses a lightsaber to spill his guts (in a delightful callback to the Tauntaun being eviscerated on Hoth) and is therefore The Last Jedi.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Marvel TV shows were OK until you realize they're the same story beats stretched out over 13 episodes repeated over and over. I didn't even finish Defenders I guess because seriously, who cares? I'll give Punisher a shot at some point.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Does anybody even watch the marvel TV shows? Like the movies are at the last watchable, some even being fun and cool, but the TV shows just kinda suck all around. I get not having a budget for cgi for sfx or whatever but the quality of the acting, writing, and editing just stinks

Jessica Jones at least had an original premise, and fantastic villian. All others get pulled down by slabs of meat punching each other for way too many episodes.

Luke Cage was fun, but ironically Harlem was waaay too black these days for me to take it seriously since I actually live there. As realistic as a gritty Hells Kitchen.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

48 Hours getting a remake from the Good Times directors Benny and Josh Safdie. Jerrod Carmichael is cowriting with Josh.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/48-hours-remake-works-good-time-filmmakers-1067212

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Yes except for Iron Fist which I abandoned after 5 episodes, and Agents of SHIELD which I never bothered to start and The Inhumans which looked like the worst show in the history of tv. Most of the Netflix shows are 2-4 episodes too long. Will probably shotgun The Runaways soon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

Agents of SHIELD which I never bothered to start and The Inhumans which looked like the worst show in the history of tv.

Agents of SHIELD is legit good.

Inhumans is legit bad.

EDIT: Iron Fist is boring and frustrating, as is Defenders.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lobok posted:

Like all powerful men, it is revealed that Luke is a shitbag when he makes inappropriate sexual advances towards Rey. She uses a lightsaber to spill his guts (in a delightful callback to the Tauntaun being eviscerated on Hoth) and is therefore The Last Jedi.

Rey spends the first third of the movie grinding for gems so she can get a crate with a working hyperdrive but eventually gives up and spends real life money to just make one show up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Any movie with the MCU logo on it is going to do $$$ unless they release a few absolute stinkers in a row, I don't think that's really up for debate at this point.
We haven't seen a MCU movie that made megabuxxx while being generally regarded as a downright lousy film. I despise review aggregators, but it's meaningful that the worst MCU films get an aggregate reaction of "This is lazy and sloppy in places, but still fun." And the worst MCU movies are propped up by having the actors and characters you remember from better films. So I'm not seeing any real evidence that a MCU movie cannot fail.

I'm not sure Disney is actually interested in making any Marvel films that don't come with a tentpole blockbuster budget. If they remade Blade in such fashion, it could be the first of those hypothetical stinkers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phylodox posted:

Inhumans is legit bad.

This will never stop making me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Agents of Shield is fun and has fairly original stories going on, from winter soldier fallout to inhuman colonies to Daddy Dale Cooper and Mr Hyde to alien prison planet to parasitic cthuloid Hydra embodiment to Ghost Rider to life model decoys, the matrix, and MODOK.

Something uncharted for the mcu is always going on. Haven't watched this season yet, I think they are in space 80 years in the future right now or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timby posted:

If that were indicative of the rest of the show, it wouldn't have been half as terrible as it was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
With Iron Fist and the Defenders, my issue is that these are shows with a bunch of superhero fights where the action directing just doesn't cut the mustard compared to Daredevil Season 1 and the Punisher. I will watch an entire show of nothing but fights if they're, y'know, good.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Timby posted:

I thought this was an Oblivion NPC dialogue meme video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahwwuy1aLkE

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Halloween Jack posted:

We haven't seen a MCU movie that made megabuxxx while being generally regarded as a downright lousy film. I despise review aggregators, but it's meaningful that the worst MCU films get an aggregate reaction of "This is lazy and sloppy in places, but still fun." And the worst MCU movies are propped up by having the actors and characters you remember from better films. So I'm not seeing any real evidence that a MCU movie cannot fail.

I'm not sure Disney is actually interested in making any Marvel films that don't come with a tentpole blockbuster budget. If they remade Blade in such fashion, it could be the first of those hypothetical stinkers.

At this point, I think the only thing that will kill the MCU is time. One of their 'big names' is going to keel over sooner or later, either through age or sheer bad luck. What the gently caress do they do then, write their character out? I guess you could try to replace the actor but people are going to notice if RDJ isn't Iron Man anymore.

Halloween Jack posted:

Steve Rogers is a different character in every film, so that the only trait that consistently resonates with fans is that he's cute and he might be gay. (There's more continuity between the first two Captain America movies and The Guest than there is with Age of Ultron and Civil War.) Mark Ruffalo's Hulk has the same "soft reboot" continuity with Ed Norton's Hulk that exists between Christan Bale's Batman and Ben Affleck's Batman.

That's without even touching on things that go beyond plot continuity and world-building.

You really notice this in Ragnarok by the way, Thor might as well just be a completely different character. Also I couldn't help but laugh at how quickly and unceremoniously Asgard got taken out, don't need to worry about working that tangled cosmology into the continuity anymore! :v:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Halloween Jack posted:

With Iron Fist and the Defenders, my issue is that these are shows with a bunch of superhero fights where the action directing just doesn't cut the mustard compared to Daredevil Season 1 and the Punisher. I will watch an entire show of nothing but fights if they're, y'know, good.

Iron fist was garbage, and they decided to make Defenders heavy on Iron Fist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I feel bad when a character's Thing is that he's Good At Punches and then they do a superteam where he's about as Good At Punches as everyone else and probably less so than Daredevil and Elektra.

I also thought it really watered down the last few episodes of Luke Cage to make it a plot point, in the show about a bulletproof man, to arm a whole squad with special bullets that can still hurt him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

At this point, I think the only thing that will kill the MCU is time. One of their 'big names' is going to keel over sooner or later, either through age or sheer bad luck. What the gently caress do they do then, write their character out? I guess you could try to replace the actor but people are going to notice if RDJ isn't Iron Man anymore.

RDJ is getting literally $80 million per movie and says he wants Stark to be re-cast James Bond-style, so I figure he's biting it in Avengers 3.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They are going to at least partially reset stuff after Avengers 4, as in focus on different actors, but there are no real details yet as much of it is being kept under wraps, probably due to who gets sequels and who doesn't might be spoilers. That or they had multiple contingencies in place before they knew if the Fox deal would go through and don't want to be changing their announced films every few weeks like DC is doing. But probably both.

Halloween Jack posted:

Their choice for Danny Rand was terrible and it is painfully obvious he has little martial arts experience and they won't put him in a mask so they can use stunt doubles so it looks even worse.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It's worth noting that the guy who made Iron Fist and Inhumans is Scott Buck, AKA "the guy who ruined Dexter" so that probably isn't a coincidence.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Ocean’s 8 name: 8/11 =72%, and women earn 72% of what men do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

It's worth noting that the guy who made Iron Fist and Inhumans is Scott Buck, AKA "the guy who ruined Dexter" so that probably isn't a coincidence.
Wow, I never heard of him before. Can I blame him for Rome getting canceled?

• Locked thread