Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

indigi posted:

just because I don't think Wentz is a top 8 qb yet doesn't mean I'm happy to be starting Nick Foles

You are tripping so hard. Wentz was well into the top 5, obviously. The way he played that game against the Rams was loving incredible. Honestly, it was that game, where he was severely injured, which made a believer of me. He carved that defense the gently caress up with amazing throw after amazing throw. The one thing he didn't do well was land properly and protect his body, but that's because he was playing like a loving champ and a warrior. I'm not a rabid fan of any team, but Wentz was loving legit this season.

aBagorn posted:

I'm seriously not worried.

With 4 weeks of reps (3 games + bye) - I think Nick can run the offense well enough in the postseason to score 25+ on pretty much the entire NFC, barring the Vikings.

Also, apart from the Saints or Rams, I'm not really scared of anyone's offense. Gurley really gashed them today, but there was also a lot of very sloppy tackling which seemed very out of form for this secondary/linebacking corps.

You should be scared. Play some highlights from Wentz's season and tell me Nick Foles could've pulled that off. Better yet, watch all his third down plays.

The Eagles are set up, but to believe they can win in the playoffs without him is foolish. At the end of the day, no way in hell are they taking the super bowl now. It's likely they won't even win a single playoff game. Before the injury, they would've been my favorites.

Still, it's gonna be a good season, and once he's healthy he'll get back to it. But losing Wentz is everything to that offense, don't kid yourself otherwise.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I can imagine Foles is going to rely on the run game and Zach Ertz, if he is out of concussion protocol then thats really good as he is a uncertain QBs best friend right now.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Nick Foles for your Dick Holes.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Hey guys, Jesus has a plan. Carson Wentz said so. So I don't know why you are freaking out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...anyway-playoffs

BGN posted:

EFF YOU, WE'RE WINNING ANYWAY

Not gonna lie: the last couple of days have been really tough.

This year just felt like our year, man.

It finally felt like people weren’t going to be able to tease us about the Philadelphia Eagles having no Super Bowl rings. It finally felt like we were going to see that parade down Broad Street.

And then the worst thing possible happened.

Carson Wentz tore his ACL.

Out for the season.

All while the Eagles officially clinched the NFC East by defeating the Los Angeles Rams.

It was hard to know how to feel.

Other than hopeless.

It was hard not to be resigned to the Negadelphia mentality that we are CURSED and nothing good is allowed to happen here.

“Imagine enjoying a sport in Philadelphia,” as a good friend once put it.

But then something happened.

As time passed, the negativity started to slip away.

I felt better after watching Carson tell us that the season isn’t over just because he’s out.

I felt better watching Doug Pederson and Malcolm Jenkins deliver inspiring postgame speeches after the Eagles’ win in L.A.

I felt better after seeing Brian Dawkins, the GOAT, call on Eagles fans to not give up.

But perhaps most importantly, I remembered the words of a wise man.

EFF YOU, WE’RE WINNING ANYWAY!

The time for negativity is over. Yeah, it really sucks that Wentz is out. He’s the MVP. He’s our baby.

But guess what? There are still games to be played. And it’s VERY possible the Eagles can clinch the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoff picture.

Wentz is a big reason why this team got to 11-2. He was a big reason why the Eagles have been able to overcome all of the other major injuries they’ve suffered.

But he wasn’t the ONLY reason.

It starts with the coaching staff.

Doug Pederson has been coaching his butt off all year long. To be honest, I’m not even sure if he has a butt anymore. The guy is clearly the Coach of the Year. He’s creative and aggressive. There might not be a coach with bigger balls in the league.

Jim Schwartz’s defense is tough as hell. Yeah, they’ve had some issues recently. But this defensive line kicks rear end on a regular basis. They’re going to continue to beat the crap out of other quarterbacks. And if you try to run on them, you’re going to get your rear end handed to you.

Dave Fipp’s special teams units have also had some issues, but we’ve seen him coach some of the best ST units in the league. He’s going to have his guys ready to bounce back.

Then there’s the players.

Let’s start with the offense.

The Eagles’ offensive line might be weakened on the left side but Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, and Lane Johnson are arguably the best players at their positions in the NFL this season. They’re going to continue to maul anyone in their way.

Zach Ertz is finally delivering on his promise and both Brent Celek and Trey Burton can contribute as well. Burton had hell of a game in L.A. Just more weapons in that passing attack.

Speaking of, the wide receivers are more than able to contribute. Nelson Agholor has become DANGEROUS in the slot. And not dangerous to the Eagles anymore, but to the other team! Alshon Jeffery has made some really clutch catches for this team. Torrey Smith is still a deep threat.

The running game has the potential to run wild all over their opponents. You think defenders are looking forward to tackling tough-running power backs such as Jay Ajayi and LeGarrette Blount? Think again! That’s not going to be fun, especially in the fourth quarter of those freezing cold playoff games at the Linc. Smash-mouth football.

And then there’s the quarterback: Nick Foles. This is admittedly a tough one for me. But if Foles can somehow take this team on an unexpected run, it wouldn’t be the first time he’s surprised me. Maybe he really can be the Eagles’ Jeff Hostetler. Go prove the doubters wrong, Nicholas.

And then there’s the defense.

With Carson going down, this unit really needs to step up. As I said before, we already this defensive line kicks rear end. So that’s encouraging. They can alleviate pressure off of the rest of the team by generating pressure on the quarterback.

At linebacker, Nigel Bradham and Mychal Kendricks need to continue to fly around and make plays. Let’s see you actually catch some of those dropped interception, Nigel.

The secondary has done some real nice things at times this year. They’ve made plays on the ball. The corners haven’t been as nearly bad as expected. They’re going to need to continue to defy expectations down the stretch. One thing you can say for sure is that they don’t lack the confidence.

And let’s not forget about the special teams guys.

Jake Elliott can probably kick a field goal from here to the sun, if he really wanted to. Donnie Jones is still going to be kicking bombs from the retirement home. And the Eagles just brought back the dude who literally said his mentality is: “KILL. MAIM. DESTROY.” So we’re all set!

This is still a good TEAM. Emphasis on that last word because the chemistry they’ve had this year is incredible. This isn’t a group of guys who are ready to fold.

But it ain’t just about the team. The fans matter here, too.

The Eagles need you to be there for them. They need you to keep believing. They need you to show up to the Linc for the playoff games and cheer louder than you ever have before.

Getting to the Super Bowl with Wentz this year was certainly possible, but it wasn’t even guaranteed. Getting there now will be even more difficult.

But giving up isn’t an option.

Negativity isn’t going to get us anywhere.

Now, if you’re not feeling ready to be as optimistic as your fellow fans, I don’t blame you. It took me a couple days to feel better. Everyone is going to take their own time to heal.

Eventually, though, we NEED you to get on board. The enemies, the doubters, the nay-sayers, the Cowboys fans ... they WANT to see you down in the dumps. They WANT you to give up on your team. We can’t let THEM win!

And if that means being irrationally confident about a team you might not even believe it, so be it! Who said fandom had to be rational?!

Don’t be that fan who is waiting to say “I told you so” when things go wrong! No one like that person anyway! Believe in them and hope for the best!

You think this season is over?

NOTHING IS OVER UNTIL WE DECIDE IT IS!!!

WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?!!?

HELL NO!!!

THE EAGLES ARE WINNING THE SUPER BOWL THIS SEASON AND NO ONE CAN TELL US OTHERWISE! WE ARE THE BEST FANS IN THE NFL AND WE DESERVE THIS!

EFF YOU, WE’RE WINNING ANYWAY!

I believe in Nick "Big Dick" Foles

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

:same:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Play posted:

You are tripping so hard. Wentz was well into the top 5, obviously.

you're nuts. right now I'd take Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Ryan, Ben, and probably Rivers over Wentz without a second thought

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Well yeah he has a torn ACL, dumbass

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

BIG 👏 DICK 👏 NICK 👏

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

🍆 Foles

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

indigi posted:

you're nuts. right now I'd take Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Ryan, Ben, and probably Rivers over Wentz without a second thought

Before the injury, I would have taken zero of those guys over Wentz. He was playing on a completely different level from anyone I've seen in the NFL to date.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

rujasu posted:

Before the injury, I would have taken zero of those guys over Wentz. He was playing on a completely different level from anyone I've seen in the NFL to date.

Yeah, well you're probably just looking at the results then!

Seriously though, I do see where Indigi is coming from. There are certain habits and mechanical issues that Carson Wentz will need to improve to be the best Carson Wentz he can be. I think a good comparison might be Ben Simmons. So far, Ben Simmons has displayed the kind of talent that could make him one of the best players in history. But he can't shoot a basketball, which nobody will deny is an important skill for basketball players. Certainly Carson Wentz needs to continue to work on his throwing mechanics and Ben Simmons needs to learn to shoot an elbow-extended jump shot. But these are young players at the beginnings of their careers. You can choose to worry about the things they don't do well, or revel in the things they do at an extraordinary level. I choose the latter.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 14, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, well you're probably just looking at the results then!

Seriously though, I do see where Indigi is coming from. There are certain habits and mechanical issues that Carson Wentz will need to improve to be the best Carson Wentz he can be. I think a good comparison might be Ben Simmons. So far, Ben Simmons has displayed the kind of talent that could make him one of the best players in history. But he can't shoot a basketball, which nobody will deny is an important skill for basketball players. Certainly Carson Wentz needs to continue to work on his throwing mechanics and Ben Simmons needs to learn to shoot an elbow-extended jump shot. But these are young players at the beginnings of their careers. You can choose to worry about the things they don't do well, or revel in the things they do at an extraordinary level. I choose the latter.

That's....

a very apt comparison

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
whos joel embiid then

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Asproigerosis posted:

whos joel embiid then

He's his own thing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

indigi posted:

Wentz not top 5 this season? Seriously? I'm not an Eagles fan whatsoever, but that guy was carving up defenses on a platter. His last game this season might've been his best ever. Tons of people all over the NFL are crushed that he won't appear in the postseason. The way he was playing, it's just sad we won't get to see what he can do in that situation. The guy's got serious skills, and every single qb you mentioned is a veteran while he is in his second year. Rodgers missed the majority of the season. Brees will always be amazing and so will Rivers, but Wentz showed enough promise that he could be better than both of them. Big Ben? If Wentz was at Pittsburgh he'd be outplaying Big Ben so hard.

Also, I can't loving believe you put Matt Ryan on this list. He's really good, but Wentz is so obviously better than him that it makes me think you're just trolling.

rujasu posted:

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I'd have Wentz over them all except maybe Wilson who has also had an MVP worthy year while carrying that team on his back and obviously Brady as well who until Monday night just past has looked great as well.

The rest of the names mentioned just baffle me and I can only assume those names have been mentioned based on what they have done in the past rather that what they're doing right now. I mean 2017's Big Ben over Wentz ? Are you making GBS threads me ? The guy has been up and down all season and looked terrible at times, luckily he has possibly the best tandem wr and rb to help him out and has improved over the past few weeks. Some of the other names as well are just nonsense.

El Patron fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 14, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Carson Wentz had his ACL repair yesterday and the surgery was successful. Now let's hope he can rehab in time for training camp.

https://twitter.com/cj_wentz/status/941107383291564032

Big Dick Nick will lead us to the promised land

nah
Mar 16, 2009

that Jesus poo poo sure is annoying. i hope the NFL owners collude to ban him from the league like they did with Tebow

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I'm souring big time on wentz.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

They won’t need to. Someone is gonna make a sign comparing Wentz to Jesus and upon seeing it Carson will feel like he’s leading the flock astray so he’ll quit football and start a youth ministry.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Cant wait for Carson to discover the majesty of Satan and replace Brady as the new Dark Lord (TM)

Edit: Also his wife looks like every uber conservative sorority girl I knew in college. The kind my Jamaican roommate was banging on the down low pretty much every weekend lol

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 14, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

For real the NFL needs more outspoken satanists to balance all this Christianity. I’m feeling oppressed because my dark lord isn’t fairly represented.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
You’ve got Bill Belichick what more do you want.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the deeply religious boy from North Carolina who grew up in North Dakota might have some problematic views, but as long as he keeps them largely to himself (as he has been doing), I can't understand giving a gently caress

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Carson Wentz is the most perfect QB ever.

Good ole small town, deer huntin', Jesus lovin' football player. The yin to Tom Brady's yang.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I wanted to see Wentz vs. Brady for the championship :cry: :cry: :cry:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Carson Wentz is the kind of Christian that Christians are supposed to be but almost never are.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
For some reason, he decided to make his hunting mansion in New Jersey, when he could have built an Amish commune by going west instead of east :confused:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

Carson Wentz is the kind of Christian that Christians are supposed to be but almost never are.

Truth.

He keeps his faith-related stuff very personal and doesn't try pushing it on others. He doesn't talk about how loving Jesus makes him some super awesome person. He does Good Works in the community and doesn't make a big show of it. He never mixes in anything political.

If more people of faith acted like Wentz I think they'd have a much better reputation among the younger generation.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah more Christians need to be really great quarterbacks.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

axeil posted:

If more people of faith acted like Wentz I think they'd have a much better reputation among the younger generation.

Speaking as a non-faither, I know lots of people of faith who do act like that, but you don't hear from them much, because, well, that's the point.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

For pretty much anything a person is into, the better kind of people are the ones who don't talk about it too much

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

If the eagles win the Super Bowl I will get a Jesus tattoo to balance out my baphomet tattoo. This is a :toxx: that I don’t need to worry about too much.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If the eagles win the Super Bowl I will get a Jesus tattoo to balance out my baphomet tattoo. This is a :toxx: that I don’t need to worry about too much.

Quoting this just in case.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the deeply religious boy from North Carolina who grew up in North Dakota might have some problematic views, but as long as he keeps them largely to himself (as he has been doing), I can't understand giving a gently caress

NotWearingPants posted:

Pretty much this, he's like the polar opposite of what Teabow was (in pretty much everyway).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Play posted:

Wentz not top 5 this season? Seriously? I'm not an Eagles fan whatsoever, but that guy was carving up defenses on a platter.

sorry but are we just tossing the KC, SF, and Seattle games out the window? because he didn't carve anything off those defenses, and his inability to make touch short throws actually hampered the offense pretty significantly

e:

El Patron posted:

I'd have Wentz over them all except maybe Wilson who has also had an MVP worthy year while carrying that team on his back and obviously Brady as well who until Monday night just past has looked great as well.

The rest of the names mentioned just baffle me and I can only assume those names have been mentioned based on what they have done in the past rather that what they're doing right now. I mean 2017's Big Ben over Wentz ? Are you making GBS threads me ? The guy has been up and down all season and looked terrible at times, luckily he has possibly the best tandem wr and rb to help him out and has improved over the past few weeks. Some of the other names as well are just nonsense.

you're baffled why someone would take Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Matt Ryan over Carson Wentz, yet I'm the one posting nonsense? lol get the gently caress out of here

indigi fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 15, 2017

Play
Apr 25, 2006

indigi posted:

sorry but are we just tossing the KC, SF, and Seattle games out the window? because he didn't carve anything off those defenses, and his inability to make touch short throws actually hampered the offense pretty significantly

Oh my, Wentz led his team to two losses over the course of almost an entire season. Obviously, he's poo poo. A good quarterback wins every game, EVERYONE knows that! - this retard

Meanwhile, Matt Ryan leads his team to five losses. You pretty clearly don't have much vision for the game of football, Wentz's play was fantastic this season. That's why people throughout the sport, people who do this for a living, are frustrated that they won't see him in the postseason. He played so well this year that losing him literally cheapens the entire rest of the season.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Tom Brady lost more games than Carson Wentz this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

e:

you're baffled why someone would take Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Matt Ryan over Carson Wentz, yet I'm the one posting nonsense? lol get the gently caress out of here

I'm new here and all but I'm 99% sure you're just some bitter dummy because that's not what was said lol. On top of the fact you seem to be on your own stupid island in general.

• Locked thread