Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mulva posted:

Just like Disney will inevitably do to all media in 2077.

There isn't going to be any copyrights, media, or Disney in 2077. At least not in any form we'd recognize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There isn't going to be any copyrights, media, or Disney in 2077. At least not in any form we'd recognize.

Mickey Mouse will be the name of my kid's hellscape mad max car.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kevin Fiegie in five years:

"Our next film, X-Men Invasion is totally based on Straw Dogs."

*Is not much like Straw Dogs

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Burkion posted:

Oh God this is great

I hope Deadpool 2 is just the biggest fiasco for them now

I don't see Deadpool 2 as having any issues, and the timing of this has me hopeful that they can sneak in a nice joke or two of Deadpool popping up in the MCU or being a Disney property in the future. As part of an ensemble he can fit into a PG-13 world just fine, and poke fun of how he's stuck as a censored version of himself. That, and any other X-men or FF characters popping up in the MCU, are still years off though, I'm confident that Disney and co. will be able to figure out how to do that well.

Ironically Agents of Shield has set up a good approach for how they should handle lots of the existing Fox Marvel properties, let them keep on going and tie in to the MCU when appropriate (which will typically be not at all) while having the MCU barely ever touch on them. Just because they have the license doesn't mean they should immediately lump in all the characters to the MCU or make sure that everything fits in to that framework.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Yeah, I really want to know what's going to happen with Noah Hawley and the stuff he's doing.

I hadn't heard Hawley was doing a Dr. Doom movie, but goddamn that sounds awesome and I hope he gets to do it. I fear he's more likely than most to be screwed since Doom is a fine villain to plug in to the MCU so I'm sure they'll have their own plans for him, even if there aren't immediate FF plans.

Ultimately there will be casualties of what could have been interesting movies or already interesting shows, but when you end up with Wolverine vs. Hulk and all the other crazy combinations that are out there for the inevitable Avengers vs. X-men movie in about 4-5 years it turns out there's a lot of acceptable losses for me, including Disney turning into an entertainment monopoly.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

josh04 posted:

Superman spends all of Man of Steel wrestling with the question of who he is and what his abilities oblige him to do; his main moral guide, Kevin Costner, refuses to instruct him except by example.

Zod, the antagonist, sees all his own actions as determined. He was made to protect his people and he cannot do anything else. This bad faith is uncovered in the final act when, with the death of the remaining Kryptonians, he acts freely in revenge on Superman. Superman choses to kill him, aware and accepting of the monstrosity of his act.

The codex, and the discussion on bringing back the glories of Krypton, are also fairly straightforward existentialism. Why attribute to Kryptonian society the potential for more great wonders when that is exactly what it did not achieve? Krypton is literally the sum of the people who lived on it, in the physical object of the codex.

A search for truth and justice is hardly limited to existentialism. Man of Steel is structured using Plato's Republic, with Krypton being the 'Ideal City' with programmed breeding. Superman having the codex parallel's Plato's writings about how an ideal city is structured in the same way as an ideal soul; he internalizes the lessons of his people and emerges to give humans an ideal to strive for.

Existentialism overemphasizes subjectivity as a reaction toward Hegel's rigorous conceptions of freedom and god viz. the declaration that all men are free and are solely responsibility for all of their choices. It's deeply individualistic, "But I cannot count upon men whom I do not know, I cannot base my confidence upon human goodness or upon man’s interest in the good of society, seeing that man is free and that there is no human nature which I can take as foundational...'one need not hope in order to undertake one’s work.' " I don't see those beliefs in Man of Steel.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
If you remember when Disney bought Lucasfilm a lot of stuff like Star Wars 1313 And several planned novels got cancelled. I expect every X Men and FF related film not in production will either get cancelled or put on hold. Deadpool series will continue as long as it brings in the fat stacks of cash and that goes for X-Force as well. Disney already does R rated Marvel content with the Netflix shows.

All Alien projects are probably on hold too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Top Gun posted:

And literally nothing of value was lost

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Speaking of Superman, Superman the Movie is added to the national film registry

https://iearths.blogspot.ca/2017/12/superman-joins-national-film-registry.html

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MiddleOne posted:

And literally nothing of value was lost

Awful opinion.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Awful opinion.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Awful Opinion

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dont even fink about it posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Awful Opinion

The Awful Opinion Megathread

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Uncle Ben isn't really a character though, in the same sense that someone like Flash's mom isn't a character. He/she just exists to give the main character motivation

Fun fact Flash's Mom was a character. (A minor character but one none the less.) Until like 2008 were she was in universe retconned to die. (Thawne went back in time and murdered her. But until he did that, it was never part of the flash history)

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Davros1 posted:

Speaking of Superman, Superman the Movie is added to the national film registry

https://iearths.blogspot.ca/2017/12/superman-joins-national-film-registry.html

There was also a 3 hour cut of it released on Blu-Ray a few months back with little fanfare.

It's not good, but it's interesting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

roffels posted:

There was also a 3 hour cut of it released on Blu-Ray a few months back with little fanfare.

It's not good, but it's interesting.

Yeah, it was an extended cut ABC aired over two nights on its TV debut. I remember watching it when it was on.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So what comes after comic book movies? Like, is it just remakes of remakes with a smattering of good stuff until end of time? What's the next trend? Video Game movies?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gatts posted:

So what comes after comic book movies? Like, is it just remakes of remakes with a smattering of good stuff until end of time? What's the next trend? Video Game movies?

Fully immersive VR simulations of wildly inaccurate historical events.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The Awful Opinion Megathread

Red Letter Media thread already got moved out of here

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

Cave paintings

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gatts posted:

Serious guess: more films of fanfiction.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

Oh they're already well underway on the video game trend but they just can't get it right so it refuses to take off, they've been trying to crack that nut since the early 90s. We recently had Warcraft and Assassin's Creed movies and in a few months we'll have Rampage with The Rock and a rebooted Tomb Raider. Apparently we'll be getting films based on Sonic the Hedgehog, Detective Pikachu and Minecraft in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games#International_live-action_films

There's dozens and dozens more movie adaptations of video game IPs that have been announced, we're supposed to be getting a big budget Tetris trilogy at some point: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/tetris-movie-trilogy-1201805092/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 15, 2017

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Top Gun posted:

If you remember when Disney bought Lucasfilm a lot of stuff like Star Wars 1313 And several planned novels got cancelled. I expect every X Men and FF related film not in production will either get cancelled or put on hold. Deadpool series will continue as long as it brings in the fat stacks of cash and that goes for X-Force as well. Disney already does R rated Marvel content with the Netflix shows.

At this point New Mutants, Deadpool 2 and Dark Phoenix which are already deep into production are safe. What has been canned is the Gambit spinoff, X-Force, X-23 solo film and that Multiple Man movie with James Franco as well as any continuation of the X-Fox universe. Oh, and that Fantastic 4 sequel that Fox has been hemming and hawing over since 2015.

What I expect is Marvel will not announce their Phase 4 slate until after Avengers 4 (also deep in production) because they have to figure out where F4 and X-Men are going to go. I expect GOTG3 and Spider-Man Homecoming 2 to have their release dates shifted as well.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Next phase is gonna be Avengers vs XMen but I dream of Hickmans FF and Avengers run.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh they're already well underway on the video game trend but they just can't get it right so it refuses to take off, they've been trying to crack that nut since the early 90s. We recently had Warcraft and Assassin's Creed movies and in a few months we'll have Rampage with The Rock and a rebooted Tomb Raider. Apparently we'll be getting films based on Sonic the Hedgehog, Detective Pikachu and Minecraft in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games#International_live-action_films

The same way the MCU taking off has lead to stuff like Steppenwolf and Guardians of the Galaxy and so on being in huge budget movies. If any of these VG flicks ever actually takes off it makes me wonder if we'll see people grabbing onto not quite as known series to make movies out of. Like we've had movies for popular and cult series like Super Mario Bros., Max Payne, King of Fighters, Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat, World of Warcraft, Street Fighter, and so on. It will be interesting to see if like ten years from now we're seeing trailers for an Echo Night: Beyond or Kizuna Encounter movie or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

The same way the MCU taking off has lead to stuff like Steppenwolf and Guardians of the Galaxy and so on being in huge budget movies. If any of these VG flicks ever actually takes off it makes me wonder if we'll see people grabbing onto not quite as known series to make movies out of. Like we've had movies for popular and cult series like Super Mario Bros., Max Payne, King of Fighters, Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat, World of Warcraft, Street Fighter, and so on. It will be interesting to see if like ten years from now we're seeing trailers for an Echo Night: Beyond or Kizuna Encounter movie or something.

Get me some weirdo niche director to do an honest attempt at Deadly Premonition.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can't get over there being a Gambit movie, that's just inherently funny.

It ain't you, it Gambit.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I can’t wait until Kevin Feige gives gambit the respect he deserves

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

wyoming posted:

It ain't you, it Gambit.

lol, did that originate here? I can't remember what the context for this was but it always cracks me up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I didn't watch anything Inhumans related until seeing the clip posted on this page and now I looked at a bunch of other clips and oh man. :laffo:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What is Simon Kinberg going to be doing now? He pretty much has control of the X-Men for now and he's one of the top producers at Fox. If the X-Men movies are put under Marvel Studios, I can see him not getting along with Kevin Feige if he has his own ideas of what the X-Men movies should be like.

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/941323404417802241

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 15, 2017

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

lol, did that originate here? I can't remember what the context for this was but it always cracks me up.

I don't know if this is just a photoshop or an actual panel from a comic, someone from BSS probably knows off the top of their head.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

What is Simon Kinberg going to be doing now? He pretty much has control of the X-Men for now and he's one of the top producers at Fox. If the X-Men movies are put under Marvel Studios, I can see him not getting along with Kevin Feige if he has his own ideas of what the X-Men movies should be like.

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/941323404417802241

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Such daring vision, really on the ball.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How are they going to shoe horn mutants in the mcu? "By the way tony i heard you sisters a mutie"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reset

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean if they're smart, they'd do House of M with Scarlet Witch for the fourth Avengers movie

Only instead of her erasing Mutants, she makes them a thing

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wolverine just shows up

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
No, more mutants!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kurtofan posted:

Wolverine just shows up

A flashback arc where Wolverine and Captain America were on a mission together during WWII.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Captain America rescued Magneto from the concentration camp. He owes him own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kurtofan posted:

How are they going to shoe horn mutants in the mcu? "By the way tony i heard you sisters a mutie"

Reports of them slowly become more and more common. Each time the Avengers try to find one, the mutant mysteriously vanishes right before they get there. This leads to them discovering the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

• Locked thread