Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you need an iot id to sign into an id:iot account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

RFC2324 posted:

at some point i started reading iot as idiot of things

I can't unsee it now.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Jabor posted:

you need an iot id to sign into an id:iot account

heh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Potato Salad posted:

Well, he didn't, because I have something very very vulnerable exposed in a terrifying way

text me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
someone claims to have stolen the registered voter database for the state of california (it's a mongoDB), and is demanding a bitcoin ransom

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

what information of any use to criminals would actually be in there? it might be interesting to someone if it had party affiliations, but otherwise it's just names and addresses, information which is generally publicly available.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lots of states charge money for those public records tho so CA would lose out on that revenue stream.

maybe they have poo poo in there they aren't supposed to like SS #s

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For ransom: list of names and addresses freely (as in freedom) given out to everybody involved in politics at the relevant level, mostly overlapping other existing public records.

Good luck with that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the voter database itself is probably already publicly available from the state

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

wtf?

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/941710362717470720

apparently microsoft are bundling a vulnerable version of keeper with win10 because...?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cheese-cube posted:

apparently microsoft are bundling a vulnerable version of keeper with win10 because...?

because cross promotion synergy install base uh.... please use apps, we have apps now, here are some of our apps

but yeah, the pro version of windows now includes oob bundleware straight from microsoft

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hopefully there's some way to get an enterprise image stipped of that garbage?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, you can still sysprep images and create gpos to disable the pre-install crap, but some of it is per user so it'll try to download it again for every new user that logs in to the machine

also the rolling updates regularly break the gpos and will just ignore some settings

supposedly the enterprise sku is better about that, idk though since we're not using it anywhere

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

it is better but still garbage in many ways.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

firefox installed an opt-out force-installed addon containing an arg for a tv show :allears:

https://twitter.com/steveklabnik/status/941709050718416897
https://twitter.com/ra6bit/status/941715498609373184

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

it is better but still garbage in many ways.

at work we're on the cusp of developing a win10 SOE (pending PO and funding) and from all the poo poo i've read i get exactly the same impression. win10 has heaps of desirable features, especially in the sec space, but lol there's still heaps of garbage in there.

i guess at the end of the day it's really just the same poo poo as previous windows releases.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

the voter database itself is probably already publicly available from the state

It depends on the county, but you’re supposed to be associated with a campaign of some sort, but it’s a joke in practice. Also the cost to obtain these lists are so low as to be negligible.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jewel posted:

firefox installed an opt-out force-installed addon containing an arg for a tv show :allears:

what the gently caress

guess i need to disable shield studies

mozilla: Shield Studies is a function of the Shield project that prompts a random population of users to help us try out new products, features, and ideas. This feedback helps Mozilla to make more informed product decisions based on actual user needs.

so i guess an unrequested marketing add-on tied to a media property is an actual user need?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

It depends on the county, but you’re supposed to be associated with a campaign of some sort, but it’s a joke in practice. Also the cost to obtain these lists are so low as to be negligible.

A person seeking to obtain all voters databases in the country need only file to run a presidential campaign and spend $150,000 in total to buy access to all the databases and be authorized to do so. Most expensive state is Arizona for some reason - $30,000

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jewel posted:

i'm trying to remember if chrome or internet explorer/edge has ever hosed with their users to the extent that firefox has and i'm not coming up with any evidence. like the worst thing chrome's done in recent memory was block flash and java but those were both announced pretty far ahead of time and actually good for their userbase, and not things like changing everyone's default search engine to yahoo because yahoo gave them money to do it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

*chome :chome:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

wtf?

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/941710362717470720

because microsoft's idealized version of the start menu is one in which they can sell that space to companies who put flashing banner ads onto your computer

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

chrome feeds your entire browsing history into google adsense

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

are you saying there was an abrupt change to that model at some point

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

No, they don't.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, i mean, it largely does, by way of tracking cookies, but that is true of all browsers

Jewel
May 2, 2009

the starbucks bitcoin thing turned out to be someone had hacked the local ISP :v:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...ource=mbtwitter

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chrome subtly breaks things between updates but nothing so egregious iirc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
microsoft sent me a scary email at 7pm last night telling me about this terrible vulnerability in their azure/office 365 integration tool but it looks like the issue is "someone on your helpdesk who has the ability to change passwords could change the password of the service account running dirsync" :confused:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

Chrome subtly breaks things between updates but nothing so egregious iirc
oh there was that font thing last year(?) but i don't know if that was the chrome team's fault or the google fonts team's fault

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

RFC2324 posted:

i just realized that at some point i started reading iot as idiot of things

i prefer to read it as "internet of trash"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idiots of trash is such an easy compromise

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

microsoft sent me a scary email at 7pm last night telling me about this terrible vulnerability in their azure/office 365 integration tool but it looks like the issue is "someone on your helpdesk who has the ability to change passwords could change the password of the service account running dirsync" :confused:

yeah, it's basically just about hardening your AADC service account. the account is highly-privileged by design, more or less so depending on what AADC features you have enabled. even if you delegate following principle of least privilege the AADC service account still ends up with pretty dangerous permissions so to mitigate the account itself needs to be hardened.

more recent versions of the AADC setup wizard will do the hardening for you however those who deployed AADC prior to that update need to implement the hardening manually.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

are you saying there was an abrupt change to that model at some point

they started feeding your synced browser history into the targeted advertising with the usual mealy mouthed "better user experience" PR bullshit fairly recently

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

idiots of trash is such an easy compromise

:golfclap:

Internet of Turds really bridges the Internet of poo poo naming divide nicely.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

they started feeding your synced browser history into the targeted advertising with the usual mealy mouthed "better user experience" PR bullshit fairly recently

link?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

technically yes its not a vulnerability because its all working by design. If you give a user the ability to reset everyone's passwords they'll be able to login as any user, of course. But the issue is that if you used the Azure AD connect wizard to create the sync user its probably getting defaulted to the Users container which, by default, can have their passwords reset by Account Operators. This isn't going to affect anyone who understands how to safeguard service accounts, but for those who just clicked next, next, next, finish on it they could be in trouble.

Also, Microsoft should really have azure ad connect run as a managed service account so the password is entirely managed by AD and the account cant be used outside of the computer and/or service its assigned to.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks for posting chrome eula v 0.0.1 (INITIAL ALPHA RELEASE)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

hasn't the tos for google services/chrome pretty much always been "expect your data to go to ads"? thats literally their business model for the free stuff so what else would you expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/?hl=en

quote:

"Depending on your account settings, your activity on other sites and apps may be associated with your personal information in order to improve Google’s services and the ads delivered by Google."

"your activity on other sites and apps" is underlined, if you mouse over it or click on it you get a popup which starts with this:

https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/example/your-activity-on-other-sites-and-apps.html

quote:

"This activity might come from your use of Google products like Chrome Sync or from your visits to sites and apps that partner with Google."

necrotic posted:

hasn't the tos for google services/chrome pretty much always been "expect your data to go to ads"? thats literally their business model for the free stuff so what else would you expect?

Chrome Sync browser history used to be excluded from this, they announced the reversal of this policy fairly recently and then proceeded to make the explanation on https://privacy.google.com (which isn't actually their privacy policy) and the configuration preferences controlling this on https://accounts.google.com as misleading as possible.

• Locked thread