Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’ll post spoilers if you want

Anyway, this is going to be a highly divisive film because poo poo happens that either is infuriating to you or super cool.

The space battle stuff and light saber work is top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slim Pickens posted:

That's why the dude giving you a physical for football grabbed your balls, to check if you had some intestine in your ballsack.

I...like...would the doc feel something weird or would the recipient just scream in pain and collapse, or what?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yup

doctor found it during my wrestling physical

I guess I should ask you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

cowboy elvis posted:

I’ll post spoilers if you want

that's why i asked dude

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

deaths aside from carrie fischer because what else are they going to do with leia

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gently caress I need to give this poo poo another watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1tAo2jCd7I

owns

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nobody lost their hand.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

all I know of capoeira i learned from bobs burgers

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
big big star wars spoilers. all of them here. seriously. don't do it. they are ranked from least spoilery at the top to most spoilery.

Kylo and the first order get dunked on REPEATEDLY and it is awesome.

Phasma goes out like a chump, again, and is very likely actually dead this time.

Laura Dern's character has the most surprising and awesome death. She gets played up as a corrupt or ineffective rebel leader, but ends up sacrificing herself to do more overall damage to the first order than any other character.

Leia dies, but then not really (they do a fakeout) surprisingly, for obvious reasons.

Something like 90% of the resistance are killed in various battles. Literally the remainder of the resistance is able to fit aboard the millenium falcon and escape the first order, and that's the ending.

#4 Despite all of the above, there is somehow also an unbelievable lightstaber battle 2/3 of the way through the film, where Snoke has been bragging to Rey (prisoner) and Kylo about his ability to manipulate others. He orders Kylo to execute Rey, but Kylo snaps and takes out Snoke like a total chump. This is after Snoke has been toying with Rey and Kylo repeatedly, using all kinds of force tricks (lightning, shoving them around, etc.) to show how powerful he is. But Kylo cuts him in half just like that, and when you're watching you are sensing some twist, like Kylo will grab Rey's lightsaber off the throne and hand it to her and they'll fight. But no, he just turns it on and cuts Snoke in half. Then Rey and Kylo fight Snoke's guards, and as soon as the smoke clears they realize they aren't going to be allies.

link: https://streamable.com/z4be7

Luke surrenders himself to Kylo to die in order to buy time for the resistance to escape, but then not really because it's just a sort of force projection, but then he actually does die and becomes one with the force like yoda and obi wan. This is the last thing that happens in the film, and it sounds stupid but it was actually done very well.

Stop now! you don't want the next one ruined for you. turn back goddamnit.

Chewie eats a porg. Not a joke.

edit: link to #4 spoiler scene, get it while it lasts.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 15, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:chloe:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

It's a good movie. Rian Johnson knows how to tell a story. I know the plot points sound retarded, but it really did work. Also, Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver are exceptional actors.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

cowboy elvis posted:

Good lord. The Last Jedi fantastic.

In a theater right now and the projector broke about an hour in.

There's gonna be a loving riot.

Key phrases yelled.
"You hosed up an authentic lucasfilm product"
"It's not my fault it poo poo the bread!" Not a typo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have until Sunday but I know some gently caress is going to spoil it somehow or I'll accidentally mouse over those spoilers and see buzzwords.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it really sounds dumb as hell

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah well it's a movie about space wizards with laser swords

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol at that last one

hope the next film is rated R

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
but I liked the other space wizards with laser swords when I was a kid. this just feels a bit lazy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah so what's up with Disney is Deadpool gonna be R or?

I mean, they'd never ostracize their market like that. Maybe certain exceptions?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have until Sunday but I know some gently caress is going to spoil it somehow or I'll accidentally mouse over those spoilers and see buzzwords.

I was nervous as gently caress trying to scroll past that spoiler wall with my finger. I should probably just avoid internet until Saturday night or at least never look anywhere near fyads title until then

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I don’t care about spoilers ever I just hope the movie doesn’t suck in terms of presentation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gauging the reactions on fb and posts I’ve seen so far it’s good and much better than the first...?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Woof Blitzer posted:

I don’t care about spoilers ever I just hope the movie doesn’t suck in terms of presentation.

:same:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Woof Blitzer posted:

No need to worry. All the light saber scenes are filmed wide. It’s a gorgeous movie.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah so what's up with Disney is Deadpool gonna be R or?

I mean, they'd never ostracize their market like that. Maybe certain exceptions?

If it makes money and will bring audiences back, Disney won't touch it or mess with it. They stopped getting nervous about R ratings like 20+ years ago, they just don't slap the Disney logo all over it.

Remember, they have Touchstone Pictures and some other shell studios that they use to release R movies and such. I'm not saying deadpool is going to be released through Touchstone, just that they won't mess with it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I sure am deeply uncomfortable with just how much of the film industry Disney owns

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah, it is a bit disturbing on some level, but honestly, what can you or I honestly do about it aside from not seeing any of their movies?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Did Disney's purchase of Fox include the Simpsons or other animated IPs?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yep. They pretty much got everything except for Fox Sports and Fox News.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Did Disney's purchase of Fox include the Simpsons or other animated IPs?

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/941337028913872896

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Disney taking control of Fox News would, quite literally, re-shape the cultural landscape of the US.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It will be a dark day if Futurama goes into the Disney vault

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
They already own basically everything else you lived growing up. Except for Batman.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yep. They pretty much got everything except for Fox Sports and Fox News.

what happens to fox news

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

It will be a dark day if Futurama goes into the Disney vault

I finally bit on the season pass for the entire series on Xbox last night. $50 and any that I download to my xbox will stay if it drops from the live store.

I need to get the Cleveland show and I can finally get rid of netflix.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

what happens to fox news

Both them and Fox Sports were split off into their own entity. Murdoch still owns them.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I need to get the Cleveland show

dear god why

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cleveland Show was pretty funny, for what it was. If I can get it for $5/season, I'll probably buy it.

And stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE-qEuwAfhc

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 15, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Cleveland Show was pretty funny, for what it was. If I can get it for $5/season, I'll probably buy it.

And stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE-qEuwAfhc

is that a cell phone video of a cell phone video

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Last Jedi was good, and as mentioned beautifully shot.

There’s a scene at one point, you’ll know it when you see it. The sound cuts completely out as a thing happens and goddamn is that whole sequence just gorgeous :allears:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No idea. It's the clearest version of the Cosby bit I can find on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Grognan posted:

it really sounds dumb as hell

The problem with General Hux's incompetence, the "just shoot them already" drawn out execution scene, etc etc is that an adventure film succeeds or fails on the strength of its villains. The First Order look like total idiots, down to the last man. They only use a single Star Destroyer at a time while the rest hang out motionless in the background. They make every conceivable bad tactical decision throughout the movie, and individual Resistance members clown on them repeatedly.

Problem is, they're still absolutely wrecking the Resistance, and they've already destroyed the (improbably small) military and government of the galactic Republic in the last film. So it makes the good guys look even more inept.

At least the cinematography was top notch. And those lightsaber scenes, goddamn. The part where Snoke got got, and the whole fight sequence afterward was worth the price of an IMAX ticket. I doubt I'll watch it again in the theater, but it wasn't bad by any means.

• Locked thread