Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

i love richard wolff but man i wish someone would fuckin annotate his points because im not watching an entire hour and a half on the economy like every time he uploads one of these
It's once a month he does the full 90 minute talks, I've annotated a few of them on reddit in the past but I can't be bothered to fish them up. I'd do this one for you but I honestly have too much going on right now between my business and scouting real estate and planning a move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

lol nn is dead

wonder if thats going to hit the tech sector at all

probably wont until lawsuits go through and/or ppl see dips in usage and/or isps start demanding more cash

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
hope it pops the tech bubble, id love to see sv fall apart

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol wrong thread again

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

hope it pops the tech bubble, id love to see sv fall apart

nobody who matters will be undone by a tech bubble collapse, just a bunch of VC funded snake oil salesmen

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

nobody who matters will be undone by a tech bubble collapse, just everyone who needs a job to live

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
oh I mean the economy will be undone, I just mean that if you're hoping the tea leaf readers at andreeson or the Chief Ballpit Officers are gonna catch poo poo for it you're insane

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/941660262586814467

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus christ WHY. Target the rich you idiots!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

probably bc it’s easier to audit poor people. also criminalization of being poor and all that

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rated PG-34 posted:

probably bc it’s easier to audit poor people. also criminalization of being poor and all that

One the most important things a friend told me was that it's expensive to be poor.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
poor people don't pay the extra 29.95 for audit protection

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

One the most important things a friend told me was that it's expensive to be poor.

Yup. A rich person has the resources to create all manners of legal headaches and drag things out, and likely will even for trivial sums, like if you tell a multi-millionaire they can't write off their $5000 fountain pen. If you're the IRS and you tell a poor person they owe $5000 they can't do poo poo about it, the IRS is effectively guaranteed to get it (and/or ruin lives in the process).

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

isn't the <25k/y group where someone who does all their business under the table would show up?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Realtalk: A ton of poor people commit tax fraud by married couples both claiming head of household when they live together, claiming kids on taxes they’re not entitled to, etc. The scale of tax fraud and money lost to the government is going to be greater from the rich tax cheats, but there are plenty of poor tax cheats out there too. It’s driven by desperation rather than greed, but it’s still tax fraud.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prav posted:

isn't the <25k/y group where someone who does all their business under the table would show up?

those poors must be up to something dastardly!!!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Prav posted:

if you do all your business in pure cash i you deserve to avoid taxes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/941600368588476416

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

His little fake check mark never fails to put a smile on my face. :allears:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Moxxis Endowment posted:

haha

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Old articles but the shift to target the poor for audits started under George HW Bush, and was continued harder under W.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/16/business/irs-more-likely-to-audit-the-poor-and-not-the-rich.html

http://www.economist.com/media/globalexecutive/perfectly_legal_e_02.pdf

http://www.blackcommentator.com/51/51_eitc.html

I have some older books from the mid-2000s in a box somewhere that goes into more depth on this. It's hard to find good articles because everything old on the web disappears into a wormhole and all the top google results are conservative sites whining about the IRS asking them for forms for their tea party group.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its much, much easier to audit the poor

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
(they should still target the rich)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I keep pimping this book but this is what Taibbi's The Divide is all about

over the last couple decades America's government has given up entirely on going after rich people because it's just too hard (and because the rich will give them directions to the money river if they're nice to the rich -- eg Obama) and instead turns the full force of the government onto the poor

class war is being waged everyday in the courts and the taxrooms

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

It's as if the state is an apparatus for furthering the material interests of the ruling class, or something.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i feel like joe is being a little naive here if he thinks the current administration cares about stopping illegitimate financial transactions

SKULL.GIF posted:

I keep pimping this book but this is what Taibbi's The Divide is all about

my favorite part: "But we can't put this white-collar criminal in prison! Have you been to prison? It's dangerous there!"

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

anime was right posted:

its much, much easier to audit the poor

i imagine poor tax fraud is failing to declare unemployment benefits or worker's comp as income and other things that are easily flagged by a computer

this is a terrible way to collect taxes. in denmark the government tax agency does everyone's taxes for them.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

There are less people in Denmark, the country has less complicated taxes, and more people are working for the government tax agency.

It's terrible, but in the US that's sort of our style

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LegoPirateNinja posted:

i imagine poor tax fraud is failing to declare unemployment benefits or worker's comp as income and other things that are easily flagged by a computer

this is a terrible way to collect taxes. in denmark the government tax agency does everyone's taxes for them.

the irs knows like 95% of whats happening even before you submit a form. theres like no reason poor people should even need to do their taxes lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

anime was right posted:

the irs knows like 95% of whats happening even before you submit a form. theres like no reason poor people should even need to do their taxes lol

Yeah I mean the reason audits even occur is that there's a huge difference between what's expected and what arrives.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

once i filled out my taxes and got a letter saying "you did it wrong, we're sending you a check with a refund twenty bucks higher" because they already know everything unless youre conducting transactions in numbered swiss accounts or through three bermudan shell companjes

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Shear Modulus posted:

once i filled out my taxes and got a letter saying "you did it wrong, we're sending you a check with a refund twenty bucks higher" because they already know everything unless youre conducting transactions in numbered swiss accounts or through three bermudan shell companjes

Same except I literally got a $1 check from the IRS 10 years ago because I added wrong.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

“A bipartisan public is receptive to lower ‘apprentice’ or ‘intern’ wage rates for young people,” [anti-worker activist] Berman says in the memo. A lower youth wage would have the additional benefit of depressing wages across the board for lower level employees, the memo states, adding, “And a ‘youth’ wage will have a sobering ripple effect on all entry level wage rates.”

"sobering" hahaha

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

"Sobering" because those filthy poors won't be able to afford the hooch they waste themselves on anymore. How better to improve their virtue?

:Scroogesay:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

platzapS posted:

"sobering" hahaha

What we're saying is that America thinks of itself as the first piece of music, but is in fact the second

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shear Modulus posted:

this but i usually get like a thousand extra back, somehow

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

black.lion posted:

There are less people in Denmark, the country has less complicated taxes, and more people are working for the government tax agency.

None of this is an excuse, fyi

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

black.lion posted:

It's terrible, but here in Nazi Germany that's sort of our style

:hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Moxxis Endowment posted:

It's terrible, but here in Nazi Germany that's sort of our style

:hist101:

even the literal Nazis had universal healthcare for their citizens, yeah?