Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Initial trip report: ahahahaha oh god they can't have tested this at all. The Brenner is utterly ridiculous - with silence skills/Frenzy I'm getting 200-ish damage with 72acc/68 stability. It's like a slightly less accurate M308 with a 150 round magazine (and effectively infinite ammo thanks to the high pickup) that you can at-will make a more accurate M308.

The Buzzsaw's even worse.

Not really sure about the Vulcan change, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
day 2 keeps crashing on one down :negative:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

EorayMel posted:

day 1 keeps crashing on one down :negative:

Fixed that for you. Also y'all should probably not try One Down right now because it crashes as soon as the host masks up on day 1.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:siren:Crash Warning:siren:

The new heist cannot be played on Normal or One Down at this time. The heist crashes immediately. I believe difficulty-specific enemies are set improperly, but I'm not sure of the details.

Additionally, a prop has an improperly set interaction cue on the right side of the escape on the last day of the heist. If any player approaches the object (it looks like a garage door button), the host and all players will crash. I think it's left over from a build where the escape was going to be shorter, but in any case, Stick to the left edge of the escape route on the second day.

We should probably expect a hotfix shortly.

As far as the incredibly dumb homogenization of the LMGs along 40 point value ratios...well, that's Jules for you. It follows the pattern of simplification and power creep that he seems to insist on taking, showing an ongoing ignorance of role-based design and, well, most of the rest of the more complicated ways that the game's systems interact. Enjoy, I guess.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 15, 2017

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Dawn of LMG superiority. Unless it's patched.

Also Bain :ohdear:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

As far as the incredibly dumb homogenization of the LMGs along 40 point value ratios...well, that's Jules for you. It follows the pattern of simplification and power creep that he seems to insist on taking, showing an ongoing ignorance of role-based design and, well, most of the rest of the more complicated ways that the game's systems interact. Enjoy, I guess.

The Brenner and RPK changes *almost* make sense, except for the fact that he's tripled their base damage. The Buzzsaw/KSP didn't need accuracy and pickup buffs either. The damage increase/stability nerf seems to come from wanting to incentivize bipod mode, but bipod mode is still a deathtrap.

With just straight damage buffs, the LMGs could have carved out a niche similar to PD:TH where they are powerful, provided you can hit anything with them. On One Down they kind of fill that role with the new changes, but on Overkill and below they're just murder machines with bottomless ammo. It's almost like the health values are too large and varied across difficulties to effectively balance the game around. :thunk:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Yeah, it’s the base damage that’s telltale here- both that it’s massively increased and homogenized, but also that it’s set to multiples of 40. He’s curving the whole damage structure around post-housewarming health values, probably on DW.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, it’s the base damage that’s telltale here- both that it’s massively increased and homogenized, but also that it’s set to multiples of 40. He’s curving the whole damage structure around post-housewarming health values, probably on DW.

Looking forward to all ARs getting +40 damage next year.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

So I’m all for absurdly powerful LMGs but what the actual gently caress???

Are they going to start balancing all weapons after DW or OD now? Is the game’s eternal cycle of making things more powerful, realizing that it’s gotten a bit too easy, add another difficulty level on op of it to counteract the power creep, and then start balancing around that ever going to stop?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

watho posted:

Are they going to start balancing all weapons after DW or OD now? Is the game’s eternal cycle of making things more powerful, realizing that it’s gotten a bit too easy, add another difficulty level on op of it to counteract the power creep, and then start balancing around that ever going to stop?
Balancing for DW has been the general goal ever since Housewarming. Playing One Down is a matter of cramming as much bullshit into one build as possible and a larger pool of bullshit to choose from would at least be entertaining.

As for Overkill, it was pretty much the copclick and chill difficulty long, long before then.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It’s not just the power creep, it’s also the homogenization. Each of these changes has removed or reduced differences between weapons.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Explaining what Jules did right is a much shorter list than what he did wrong (the last two years)

For example, he

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

To be honest the Brenner and RPK would be fine sitting at 80 damage with the current stability penalty. All the low damage ones simply needed a bump up to 40 base damage; 36 ensured they were always a point or two short of a breakpoint unless you stacked all 3 of body expertise, frenzerker and specialized killing.

If they want these changes to make any sense they'll need to roll back the pickup buffs, and also bring back the old movement penalty and inability to use silencers.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Update 168.1 Changelog
Update size: 14,3Mb

General
Fixed an issue that cause safety deposit boxes to be a lot harder to open
Fixed the 45 Degree sight that was misaligned on the Union 5.56 Rifle
Fixed a graphical issue on the Union 5.56 Rifle when using the Tactical Laser Module

Reservoir Dogs Heist
Fixed a crash related to a button near the escape on day 1
Fixed lootbags remaining in the air after Mr. Blonde leaves
Fixed a crash that could occur in the beginning of day 1 on the One Down difficulty

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
See now I want to fire up this game again. Running around clicking cops with an LMG is what I really wanted out of this game, now it's viable!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ThatOneGuy posted:

See now I want to fire up this game again. Running around clicking cops with an LMG is what I really wanted out of this game, now it's viable!

As someone who's loved the LMG since it was introduced, despite all its flaws and drawbacks, this update is manna from heaven. It's inspired me to finally actually play again after I reinstalled back before halloween (then had it sit idle virtually the entire time up until yesterday).

It's great.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
here's a mod idea: all of jacket's pager interactions are replaced with different parts of the Steamed Hams moment

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I just had a game on aftershock deathwish were everybody got into custody by doing their best three stooges routine while trying to enter the truck, but one guy somehow slipped in the driver seat and was completely impervious to the horde of cops shooting him. He stayed in the invincible truck for about 5 minutes, then daringly left and got back in, thus triggered the liftoff escape.

It was so bizarre and he was the only one that got away :stare:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I got my One Down Aftershock achievement in that manner. Good bug.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crackdown is nearing readiness for its soft launch. I'll work up a feature list and post it soon. Get hype for Day 3!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 18, 2017

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
New heist is fun, with the achievements not being too annoying for once. Not too happy with the grenade launcher nerfs, but at least they seem to have fixed spawn groups because I'm no longer seeing 6 shields spawn all at once.

New LMGs are going to be hilarious with Body Expertise and that skill that allows you to penetrate enemy body armour. But before long some grognards are going to complain and get it nerfed like they got the launchers nerfed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Oh no those loving grognards are at it again why can't we just enjoy our laser LMGs. :jerkbag:

Totallybalanced.jpeg

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh no those loving grognards are at it again why can't we just enjoy our laser LMGs.

This except unironically.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Most have seen it already but for those who hadn't: Jules explained the changes and, predictably, he wasn't paying any attention at all to a long-rear end suggestions & feedback thread about why no one was using LMGs

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Not only did Overkill not accept any of the feedback from the feedback sub-forum they set up in the aftermath of the One Down update, they also went ahead and nuked the entire sub-forum so it's like none of that player feedback ever happened.

This is just the regular amount of community interaction from Overkill.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh no those loving grognards are at it again why can't we just enjoy our laser LMGs. :jerkbag:

The worst group of people in this community are those who care way too much about weapon stats. I don't like that Overkill listened to them about launchers, but their inevitable tears almost make Overkill's ham-fisted attempts at weapon rebalance bearable.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I can think of many more worse aspects of the Payday 2 community. Besides Overkill has made it overwhelmingly clear that any discussion about balance is just shouting into the void until they surprise drop some awful changes a year later.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

See, I'm gonna break the mold and say this was a good change. The right response to the too-high HP numbers on cops for overkill and up is to just ratchet up weapon damage so that everything's on the same general level of power as shotguns. LMGs now have that. Body expertise with an LMG is now a great fuckin' build. Fartgun LMGs without Body Expertise are now a great fuckin' build. It feels like actually having a machinegun when the LMG cuts cops down like wheat beneath the scythe. Please also buff SMGs, ARs, handguns and sniper rifles now. Shotguns, GL's and LMGs are all three now in a pretty happy/good place. Bring everything else up to this level, plzkthxbye.

Also the akimbo Grimms are pure delight and have made Hitman into a great perk deck. I should really update my guide with perk deck stuff but basically the list of perks that suck entirely is down to Yakuza. Sociopath is actually an excellent pairing for a Tag Team buddy, as is Stoic and/or Kingpin. Misdreavous and I were having quite a fun time on the new heist on mayhem with him Tag Teaming my Sociopath, just standing in the street effectively invulnerable.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Somebody recommend me "good" gimmick builds for my next infamy.

A pubbie told me to do a one down viable melee build but I do not know how.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

*kicks open door, staggers into room carrying stack of pizzas and design documents*

Sorry for the wait, heisters! Day 3 is here!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

*kicks open door, staggers into room carrying stack of pizzas and design documents*

Sorry for the wait, heisters! Day 3 is here!

This is...quite thorough.

Eventually this will be hamfisted in the vanilla game right?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

maswastaken posted:

Most have seen it already but for those who hadn't: Jules explained the changes and, predictably, he wasn't paying any attention at all to a long-rear end suggestions & feedback thread about why no one was using LMGs

I mean, clearly this was a ham-handed and poorly thought out change to the LMG stats to try and address the LMG "problems". But I was someone that was using LMGs very frequently even when they were sub-40, even when they slowed you down, the entire time.

This update remains a christmas miracle for me...which is why I hope it at least lasts through christmas, so I can enjoy it a little longer before they overreact and nerf the gently caress out of them as a clumsy response to criticism.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

When LMGs slowed you down, enemy health wasn't so hideously inflated that having to score a second shot was an issue.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

chairface posted:

See, I'm gonna break the mold and say this was a good change. The right response to the too-high HP numbers on cops for overkill and up is to just ratchet up weapon damage so that everything's on the same general level of power as shotguns. LMGs now have that. Body expertise with an LMG is now a great fuckin' build. Fartgun LMGs without Body Expertise are now a great fuckin' build. It feels like actually having a machinegun when the LMG cuts cops down like wheat beneath the scythe. Please also buff SMGs, ARs, handguns and sniper rifles now. Shotguns, GL's and LMGs are all three now in a pretty happy/good place. Bring everything else up to this level, plzkthxbye.

Also the akimbo Grimms are pure delight and have made Hitman into a great perk deck. I should really update my guide with perk deck stuff but basically the list of perks that suck entirely is down to Yakuza. Sociopath is actually an excellent pairing for a Tag Team buddy, as is Stoic and/or Kingpin. Misdreavous and I were having quite a fun time on the new heist on mayhem with him Tag Teaming my Sociopath, just standing in the street effectively invulnerable.

Or you know, they could just not have everything have too-high HP. That seems like a much more reasonable response. LMGs did used to cut everything to pieces before Overkill's lead designer decided that giving police units over 1000 health was a good idea.

But it's looking pretty likely that they're just going to buff everything else instead so you're getting what you wanted. Maybe this is for the best; pistols already needed a rework before the One Down update, and 80 damage rifles long had zero reason to exist as long as 160 damage rifles did as well with very few comparative drawbacks.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 18, 2017

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fewer shots to kill is the end result either way and the way we all want it to go, so if Jules wants to get us there by adjusting weapon damage UP to the inflated health values instead of the other way around I'm happy enough with the end result, whatever mental gymnastics were involved in getting there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

chairface posted:

Fewer shots to kill is the end result either way and the way we all want it to go, so if Jules wants to get us there by adjusting weapon damage UP to the inflated health values instead of the other way around I'm happy enough with the end result, whatever mental gymnastics were involved in getting there.

I'd agree with you, chairface, except it requires trusting them to perform the execution well. Adjusting weapon damage up involves a lot more changes than reversing on health.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Other than inflated HP, the sheer number of enemies is still a problem. Re-balancing weapon stats should be done concurrently with re-examining enemy HP and/or numbers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I found a new wishlist item:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I found a new wishlist item:

SUPERDOZER DEPLOYING IN THREE, TWO, ONE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Psion posted:

Explaining what Jules did right is a much shorter list than what he did wrong (the last two years)

For example, he

drat he's even crashing posts now