Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Halloween Jack posted:

Wow, I never heard of him before. Can I blame him for Rome getting canceled?

I thought Rome got canceled because it was expensive as gently caress.

Tars Tarkas posted:

That or they had multiple contingencies in place

They'll CG the actor's faces on, a la Carrie Fisher, until we basically reach The Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If Agents of Shield can be called "legit good", what's Legion? "A god drat masterpiece"? :rolleye:

Disney grabbing more and more IPs is just bad for the business. I liked how Fox had carved up their own lil comic book niche tonally and stylistically and I trust Marvel not to gently caress that up and make it bland cookie cutter competent as much as I trust the next Avengers movie is a noir heist caper or Winter Soldier was All the President's Men or whatever the gently caress

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GrandpaPants posted:

That massive set they made of the forum and urban centers burned down like a few months after the show was cancelled too, was that someone collecting an insurance check or something?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FreudianSlippers posted:

Names are almost never in the same order as the people below. A lot of actors have clauses in their contracts about top billing on posters and the exact order of names is often the result of a lot of negotiations by a bunch of lawyers.

I vaguely remember some 70s disaster movie where two actors wouldn't budge on top billing so eventually they compromised by one of their names being first but the second name being slightly above the other names.

The Towering Inferno. If you read it from the top down, Paul Newman has top billing, but if you read left to right, Steve McQueen is toped billed. (And to be even more pedantic, I think their contracts specified that they each had to have the exact same number of lines to speak as well)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Timby posted:

This will never stop making me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyDbb5uozt8

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Fox made a good call, they had a nice run with X-Men but they’ve wrapped up their two most popular actors with Logan.

Also, Singer was a pretty consistent moneymaker for them. And he’s gone, and radioactive.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I do hope that Disney is seeing what Fox was doing with Logan/Deadpool/probably New Mutants, and just let a corner of the MCU factory not be the same homogenized superhero BS that the Avengers are. And this is coming from a guy that mostly doesn't mind what Disney's MCU films are, but diversity is something that's needed in the genre. And as of late Fox was pulling off in spades.

Basically, I hope New Mutants is phenomenal and they don't gently caress with that roadmap.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I do hope that Disney is seeing what Fox was doing with Logan/Deadpool/probably New Mutants, and just let a corner of the MCU factory not be the same homogenized superhero BS that the Avengers are. And this is coming from a guy that mostly doesn't mind what Disney's MCU films are, but diversity is something that's needed in the genre. And as of late Fox was pulling off in spades.

Basically, I hope New Mutants is phenomenal and they don't gently caress with that roadmap.

I have a feeling that will happen, like there'll be a small corner of Miramax that are the R rated Marvel movies.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If Agents of Shield can be called "legit good", what's Legion? "A god drat masterpiece"? :rolleye:

Yes? That's basically the majority opinion. I really don't get the constant dismissing of Marvel TV series.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

They aren't that good. I don't get why people consume that poo poo, myself. I accept that tastes differ and i dont think about it much else save for moments like this, but Marvel branded TV is consistently mediocre in a way that only just begs you to ignore it if you can imagine enjoying literally anything else your mind could possibly imagine consuming or doing instead.

Marvel movies would do the same thing if not for the charisma of the actors and special effects those movies can afford to shove in your face, something the TV side can't do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, that's pretty much 95% of TV. NCIS, The Big Bang Theory, reliable unchallenging mediocrity to entertain people of a particular demographic. The Marvel TV is to tide over people who can't get enough of their fix from the movies.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

basic hitler posted:

They aren't that good. I don't get why people consume that poo poo, myself. I accept that tastes differ and i dont think about it much else save for moments like this, but Marvel branded TV is consistently mediocre in a way that only just begs you to ignore it if you can imagine enjoying literally anything else your mind could possibly imagine consuming or doing instead.

Marvel movies would do the same thing if not for the charisma of the actors and special effects those movies can afford to shove in your face, something the TV side can't do.

Actually, I think the show written by the guy behind Fargo is, in fact, good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Decius posted:

Yes? That's basically the majority opinion. I really don't get the constant dismissing of Marvel TV series.

I think we have a different threshold of what's worth our time. Because I think of Legion as "good", the Marvel Netflix series as "mediocre to bad" and, even though I hear it's greatly improved over time, season 1 of Agents of Shield was "unwatchable". I'm not going to bother watching something I consider mediocre or lesser when there are too many really good things out there that I haven't watched yet.

But yeah, other than grouping in Legion with the rest, basic hitler is spot on.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Why do people watch anime, come to think of it?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Gotta say, "Every con has its pros" is a fantastic tagline!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Anime is good

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tiger posted:

Gotta say, "Every con has its pros" is a fantastic tagline!

This but unironically

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I think we have a different threshold of what's worth our time. Because I think of Legion as "good", the Marvel Netflix series as "mediocre to bad" and, even though I hear it's greatly improved over time, season 1 of Agents of Shield was "unwatchable"

For all the flaws that the first half of season 1 of Agents of Shield had it never hit the nadir that was the Scott Buck run Marvel shows - Iron Fist and The Inhumans. Are you trying to pretend that they don't exist or do you just have a raging hard-on for him?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Anime is blood

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really wanted to like Agents of SHIELD, because I caught half of the 2nd season finale with a friend and it looked very good, though I didn't know what was going on. I tried to get into it and, like, it was just not interesting enough for my mind to take hold.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ookiimarukochan posted:

For all the flaws that the first half of season 1 of Agents of Shield had it never hit the nadir that was the Scott Buck run Marvel shows - Iron Fist and The Inhumans. Are you trying to pretend that they don't exist or do you just have a raging hard-on for him?
Iron Fist is not great, but I would watch that many times over before I would go back to early AoS.

I didn’t even bother with Inhumans, I have never had interest in that side of Marvel and the trailer for the series made it look like a fan production.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FlamingLiberal posted:

I didn’t even bother with Inhumans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc&t=26s

jk, I know what you mean.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FlamingLiberal posted:

Iron Fist is not great, but I would watch that many times over before I would go back to early AoS.

I didn’t even bother with Inhumans, I have never had interest in that side of Marvel and the trailer for the series made it look like a fan production.

It's going to be interesting, seeing as the only reason Marvel started to push Inhumans was because they didn't have the live action rights to the X-Men universe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

I can't imagine what someone's standards would have to be in order to give those shows a shot after Luke Cage.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Davros1 posted:

It's going to be interesting, seeing as the only reason Marvel started to push Inhumans was because they didn't have the live action rights to the X-Men universe.

Even the comics have started to sideline the Xmen since marvel cannot get that sweet tie in audience. I smell a(nother) Xmen vs Inhumans storyline.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Decius posted:

See, this is fine then. Just means adjusted standards. For me Legion is the bare minimum of quality if I'm gonna be watching a comic book tv show. It was good to decent. Often very good! But god drat masterpiece? I get that most tv is trash but that's why i like being selective not just shrugging and bellyflopping into it. Like I guess if Legion is some masterpiece to you then it makes sense.
Happy! looks fun to okay. Maybe the Lazarus and Deadly Class shows will be good. It's just that if you're trying to sell me on Marvel television and the height of that that you have to present is "season one of Daredevil" then...I'm good. Different strokes for different folks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

IIRC what happened was that Rome was a coproduction and the co part dropped out, so it became prohibitively expensive for HBO to do it themselves.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Neo Rasa posted:

I have a feeling that will happen, like there'll be a small corner of Miramax that are the R rated Marvel movies.

Why would Al Jazeera care about Marvel? Disney sold Miramax years ago

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They could resurrect Touchstone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been listening to http://372pages.com/ and Ready Player One is soooooo bad. Even putting aside the extremely terrible prose, it's the plot that gets to me. There's some potential in a story about a treasure hunt in a virtual world in a dystopian future, but somehow Cline manages to bury all of it and make the shittest possible choice at every opportunity.

How did this become a movie!?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Same way as Fifty Shades of Grey.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
To be fair, I haven't heard many nice things about the book versions of Jaws, the Godfather or whatever book Die Hard was based on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been listening to http://372pages.com/ and Ready Player One is soooooo bad. Even putting aside the extremely terrible prose, it's the plot that gets to me. There's some potential in a story about a treasure hunt in a virtual world in a dystopian future, but somehow Cline manages to bury all of it and make the shittest possible choice at every opportunity.

We live in a world where thousands of people pay $20/month to have a box of random pop culture tchothkes sent to their home so that they can label and self-identify themselves as nerds.

It’s not surprising.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all the individual assets, characters, movies, TV shows, etc. that Disney now owns as a result of buying Fox?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shadowvine118 posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of all the individual assets, characters, movies, TV shows, etc. that Disney now owns as a result of Buying Fox?

Well, the Tommy Westphall universe I think is the tally so far (all other universes included free of charge)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

shadowvine118 posted:

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all the individual assets, characters, movies, TV shows, etc. that Disney now owns as a result of buying Fox?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The above, except for the DC comics. Or the Marvel ones? idk, either one

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

To be fair, I haven't heard many nice things about the book versions of Jaws, the Godfather or whatever book Die Hard was based on.

I keep reminding myself of this. And Starship Troopers. I wonder how Cline would react if Spielberg turned his (presumably) 100% earnest book into a biting satire.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

The above, except for the DC comics. Or the Marvel ones? idk, either one

Somebody post the more recent ones

ah heck, this fool is a legend

https://storify.com/HunkyJimpjorps/the-saga-of-gamemaster-anthony-s-birthdays-33-39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

I keep reminding myself of this. And Starship Troopers. I wonder how Cline would react if Spielberg turned his (presumably) 100% earnest book into a biting satire.

No pun intended, of course.

• Locked thread