Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
One ship could slice the entire Death Star in half lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Liquid Drink posted:

No offense but if you like this movie at all you are most likely braindead and jump up and down when Coke commercials come on.

It's going to make several billion dollars and nobody will give a poo poo about anything you said.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

*Turns around pensively like Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi*

"I believe one thing only... It's time for the Skywaker Saga to end."

Fixed ya post.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They probably should have demoted Poe again, for the mutiny and whatnot. The Resistance, led by Private 1st Class Poe Dameron!

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
One thing about TFA is I left the theater totally psyched to see the next installment. TLJ leaves me scratching my head at what will happen next, and not really in a good way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

One thing about TFA is I left the theater totally psyched to see the next installment. TLJ leaves me scratching my head at what will happen next, and not really in a good way.

Probably some force stuff, some laser swords, a couple of space battles.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm sure my feelings on this movie are going to change over time, but I'm 100% sure it's an improvement over TFA in just about every way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I was so glad to see a...cameo? Or just a role really, for Adrian Edmonson. That got a bigger gasp in my cinema than the secret person in Rogue One really.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gareth Edwards cameo was better tho.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also as cool as the visuals were I thought it was silly how the movie starts with the reveal of the big rear end super dreadnought star destroyer... which gets immediately clowned by the rebels. Then after they escape they immediately bring an even bigger star dreadnought destroyer... which also gets clowned. At this point the First Order is like 2 steps away of having super dreadnought destroyers made of giant dreadnought. By the end up episode 9 we’ll get a fleet of Death Stars somehow managing to lose to some x-wings.

This is something I didn't mind too much because neither one is an easy victory. The first time it might as well be a failure for all the people that Poe gets killed. The second time leads to the resistance getting down to a handful of people

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Gareth Edwards cameo was better tho.

I like the guy that yells LAAAAAAUNCH at him. One line but man he made it work.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My god, what is said in the trailers "Let The Past Die, Kill It!" can't be more than true for this movie series.

The violence towards women in this movie!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't have anything new to add, but will share my quick thought. I was feeling uneasy and a bit bored for the first hour or so, but then it really picked up and I walked out a happy man. I love star wars

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My favorite part is where Luke used the force to remove himself from the franchise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's an interesting movie that takes some narrative risks, which is basically what people were asking and hoping for after they left 7. I'm not sure it's so much challenging as it doesn't make total sense until you finish it. The stuff surrounding the ship and the Laura Dern character will be a lasting source of controversy as to whether it worked or not, but it all wrapped up and paid off well. All of the people in my theater bought in and loved it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
In hindsight this movie was pretty loving dark for Disney:

Kylo Ren turned to the dark side because Luke contemplated murdering him, leading Luke to live a life of shameful exile.

Rey's parents sold her for drug money.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Danger posted:

In hindsight this movie was pretty loving dark for Disney:

Kylo Ren turned to the dark side because Luke contemplated murdering him, leading Luke to live a life of shameful exile.

Rey's parents sold her for drug money.

That's only true from a certain point of view

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

Probably some force stuff, some laser swords, a couple of space battles.

Spaceships flying through narrow tunnels.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The one thing that didn't work for me was adam driver assuming Rey would be fine with hundreds of people dying immediately. Dude really needs to work on his pitch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Spaceships flying through narrow tunnels.

Yeah that's always good too. I bet C3PO and R2D2 will be in it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

kater posted:

The one thing that didn't work for me was adam driver assuming Rey would be fine with hundreds of people dying immediately. Dude really needs to work on his pitch.

The Force isn't about logic, it's about the Feels.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I just saw the movie and I liked it a lot. Not everything worked, but I'm encouraged that Disney let Rian Johnson get sorta weird and make a Star Wars movie that doesn't really feel like a Star Wars movie. Unlike the first movie, I did not have the twist spoiled for me so that was a very pleasant surprise.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Seaniqua posted:

I just saw the movie and I liked it a lot. Not everything worked, but I'm encouraged that Disney let Rian Johnson get sorta weird and make a Star Wars movie that doesn't really feel like a Star Wars movie. Unlike the first movie, I did not have the twist spoiled for me so that was a very pleasant surprise.

I saw the movie and have a question for you: What do you consider the "twist"?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mulva posted:

Biggest surprise has gotta be Snoke getting murked

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

General Dog posted:

Biggest surprise has gotta be Snoke getting murked

100% it's Snoke getting wrecked in a super undignified way by Kylo Ren... and he's still a bad guy despite turning on his master

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

kater posted:

"If you agree i'll call it off and take them prisoner so you can talk to them" would be such an easy lie. Kinda makes me wish they had struck a deal

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I laughed when they eventually got back to the aftermath and give a closeup of his face omgosh maybe he's ali-cut to the other half of his body sitting on the throne. No one else in the theater did, just me laughing at the mangled old guy corpse. I think Luke pulling a Kansas City shuffle is a much bigger spoiler.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

I paid 35 us for the Chinese theater 6pm

In my defense there were Australians who felt it was Worth coming and also free pizza afterwards thouhh you didn't have to pay if you just walked up and pretended you owned the place you could get some slices

Oh apparently Carrie Fisher's dog was at our screening

https://twitter.com/ABC7Veronica/status/941533853511909376

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

grieving for Gandalf posted:

100% it's Snoke getting wrecked in a super undignified way by Kylo Ren... and he's still a bad guy despite turning on his master

Thats kinda the whole sith deal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats kinda the whole sith deal

You think they'd catch on at some point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

How could Snoke know that the grandson of Darth Vader would be capable of turning on his master?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 15, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lord Hydronium posted:

This feels like nitpicking at this point. Like half the PT characters are also OT characters, and it's a dream sequence/flashback, so yeah, it's not going to have a subtitle. TFA also mentions clone troopers and the Sith and had Ewan MacGregor do a voice cameo as Obi-Wan. If Disney's trying to pretend the prequels don't exist, they're doing a really lovely job of it (and that's not even mentioning all the EU stuff and other merchandising they're still doing in that era).

Like really, this idea feels more like "I wish Disney would ignore the prequels."

Haha yeah man, the guy who's been saying how much he's come to like the prequels recently is saying I wish Disney would ignore them. You got me.

Clones come from the OT. Sith is an OT thing. Do you not know Star Wars?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's not like TFA didn't invent a whole new global city capital planet.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
lol I was surprised to see so many people in here hating this, and then I gradually realized a lot of you were praising the prequels, and now I'm getting the gently caress out of this subforum asap. you monsters

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The best thing that happened to the prequels was when the major plot planet was exploded in TFA. Oh poo poo apparently they moved the senate to another planet and they didn't blow up Croissant.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 15, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SlipkPIe posted:

lol I was surprised to see so many people in here hating this, and then I gradually realized a lot of you were praising the prequels, and now I'm getting the gently caress out of this subforum asap. you monsters

"The new Star Wars movies are bad" is about the same level as "The D.C. superhero movies are good" where I'm just like, this person lives in another reality from me, and we're never gonna bridge that gap.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tenzarin posted:

The best thing that happened to the prequels was when the major plot planet was exploded in TFA.

It wasn’t Coruscant, though. They made up a brand new not-Coruscant and blew that up instead

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zoran posted:

It wasn’t Coruscant, though. They made up a brand new not-Coruscant and blew that up instead

I went and checked just to be sure. That is super lame.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Coruscantblowthisplanetup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Mulva posted:

It's this, especially because they'd set the table for Kylo's redemption plot and he totally does not redeem himself. I'm not saying it was the most mindblowing thing ever, I'm just saying it was a pleasant surprise.