Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It hit me later today that the tone of this movie was basically Airplane or Hot Shots Part Deux played slightly straighter. It could be classified a parody.

Like the shot of Luke throwing the saber over his shoulder just needed a boi-oi-oi-oing effect and it could have been a Zucker movie. Maybe a dash of Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'd have thought you people would love this movie way more considering Luke just all out says "the Jedi are garbage and everything is their fault" like you've been bouncing around for years now

if you think that CineD star war posters are majority prequel likers than you have surely never been in the hellworld that is a CineD star war thread

on this very page is

Nessus posted:

But isn't this also bad, because it acknowledges the prequels were films that existed?

TFA, R1 and TLJ are incredibly popular amongst people who don't like the prequels because Marvel is giving 38 year olds the Star Wars movies they wanted when they were 12 and reading Wolverine and Lobo comics and equating cynicism with depth

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

TFA, R1 and TLJ are incredibly popular amongst people who don't like the prequels because Marvel is giving 38 year olds the Star Wars movies they wanted when they were 12 and reading Wolverine and Lobo comics and equating cynicism with depth
lol

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"all the people who don't like the space movies i like are dumb and liked dumb things as children that i was too smart to like. also, the cute girl didn't realize how smart and nice i was and she was an idiot for getting with the dumb guy who liked wolverine."

the way people talk about their opinions on media on the internet will never stop being hilarious. you've taken your star wars opinion and turned it into a story you tell yourself about how you're smart.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
but TLJ isn't really cynical.

The only cynical characters are the bad guys, and Luke, who overcomes that cynicism, and becomes the symbol of the group that represents hope.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Emperor doesn't need any backstory though because it's not important, ANH builds this universe of "The Empire are the Space Nazis and control everything." You don't need to give a poo poo about how they came to power because we don't know anything before then (until he prequels came into being and ruined that). You just accept it. The problem with the new trilogy is that ROTJ establishes that the Empire is destroyed and done with, yet this crippled Dark Jedi re-establishes the Empire somehow and makes it even larger and more powerful than before? That's a whole lot of bullshit the audience has to just accept. It doesn't work at all.

This also points the problem with Rogue One, because no one gives a poo poo about how anyone got the plans to the Death Star.

This

"How did the empire of roj become the mega powerful one of the tfa?" This random force god! Who is he? Just some random guy!

Despera fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 15, 2017

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

cams posted:

"all the people who don't like the space movies i like are dumb and liked dumb things as children that i was too smart to like. also, the cute girl didn't realize how smart and nice i was and she was an idiot for getting with the dumb guy who liked wolverine."

the way people talk about their opinions on media on the internet will never stop being hilarious. you've taken your star wars opinion and turned it into a story you tell yourself about how you're smart.

wowza OP this is uh

well it's something

Dexo posted:

but TLJ isn't really cynical.

The only cynical characters are the bad guys, and Luke, who overcomes that cynicism, and becomes the symbol of the group that represents hope.

I guess i mean more in general, in a meta-narrative and marketing sense. In order to make sure TFA was beloved, Disney made a rehash of ANH and purposefully included a lot of behind the scenes marketing to pander to the things that became meme-y "problems" with the prequels (NO POLITICS! PRACTICAL EFFECTS! FUCKABLE CHARACTERS!). But in doing so--in resetting the movie status quo--they undermined all of the struggles and victories of the original films.

Luke is a disgraced teen molester/murderer now, Han and Leia are disgraced parents who couldn't make their marriage work and therefore birthed actual satan, and the Rebellion not only failed, but it turned to bitter infighting that allowed a third Death Star.

Even now, just one movie after TFA, there's rewriting in order to appeal to the memes about TFA. Snoke being important and any mystery surrounding Rey get dumpstered for...why?

It's all incredibly bitter and cycnical imo

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 15, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Waffles Inc. posted:

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is...dumb

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

One of the big themes of the movie is letting the past die. Snoke's character solely exists as a stereotype of the most sith-est sith that ever sithed just to be completely destroyed. The movie is trying to shove in our face the fact that ideas of the Jedi and the Sith are done now, they gave us a cartoon Sith to clearly show us that it's over.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I almost pity all these feeble-minded plebeians crying for mummy’s milk because they were struck down and dumbfounded today by Rian Johnston’s cinematic genius... almost.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

zandert33 posted:

One of the big themes of the movie is letting the past die. Snoke's character solely exists as a stereotype of the most sith-est sith that ever sithed just to be completely destroyed. The movie is trying to shove in our face the fact that ideas of the Jedi and the Sith are done now, they gave us a cartoon Sith to clearly show us that it's over.

So why retell ANH just to say "we're not doing that anymore"? who cares? start with something new instead of coming up with a plot contrivance that resets the plot and undoes the original movies.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Starting the movie off with Poe insulting General Hux set the tone right off the bat. So we're not supposed to take The First Order seriously?

Did anyone expect/want there to be any romance between Finn and Rose? The gently caress.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

cams posted:

The thing is though, I’m not saying I don’t like the film. I really do. When I talk about snoke, I’m bugged because without the backstory, at all, without context, it makes the death less interesting. In a movie that is all about interesting ideas over strong logical plot ( the military issues, and so on already brought up) it detracts from an interesting choice. Having the new big bad being killed by our new emo Vader, as a choice, could be cool. I’m down for that subversion. But The context of him isn’t there. Does he not have a new title? Is he just the first Jedi? A former sith? We get Great poo poo on Lukes thoughts on the force. We get Emo Vader at the end wanting to burn it all down. But nothing from Snoke? One line about light and dark balance?

Making him more interesting before you kill him off like a chump would make it a stronger beat, and make emo Vader, I don’t know, actually scary? Where did he come from? We get glimmers of just how strong Snoke is, but if there was just a slight bit more, I wouldn’t be hung up on it. And I’m talking about like maybe a minute of film? Five tops? It would make his death far more interesting. You could still get that he dies like a dumbass, but as it is now, it’s just yet another joke. In a movie, that has plenty of them.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

I guess i mean more in general, in a meta-narrative and marketing sense. In order to make sure TFA was beloved, Disney made a rehash of ANH and purposefully included a lot of behind the scenes marketing to pander to the things that became meme-y "problems" with the prequels (NO POLITICS! PRACTICAL EFFECTS! FUCKABLE CHARACTERS!). But in doing so--in resetting the movie status quo--they undermined all of the struggles and victories of the original films.

Luke is a disgraced teen molester/murderer now, Han and Leia are disgraced parents who couldn't make their marriage work, and the Rebellion not only failed, but it turned to bitter infighting that allowed a third Death Star.

Even now, just one movie after TFA, there's rewriting in order to appeal to the memes about TFA. Snoke being important and any mystery surrounding Rey get dumpstered for...why?

It's all incredibly bitter and cycnical imo
tfa pmuch explicitly set up the audience to think snoke was important and to think rey's origins are important because the entire theme of the movie is that they aren't important at all in the grand scheme of things. the movie is about how people are people who make mistakes and should not be seen as heroes or legends or creatures of myth.

the reason so many people are reacting negatively to this is that they hold these types of stories dear. the original trilogy was entirely a story of a chosen one and his friends managing to actually accomplish their goal. new trilogy says "that's great, but the story never ends and you're just a small part of it."

tlj was imo only a b or b- film itself, mostly due to the bloatedness of the branching plots, but the reactions people are having to it are amazing

cams
Mar 28, 2003

LionArcher posted:

The thing is though, I’m not saying I don’t like the film. I really do. When I talk about snoke, I’m bugged because without the backstory, at all, without context, it makes the death less interesting. In a movie that is all about interesting ideas over strong logical plot ( the military issues, and so on already brought up) it detracts from an interesting choice. Having the new big bad being killed by our new emo Vader, as a choice, could be cool. I’m down for that subversion. But The context of him isn’t there. Does he not have a new title? Is he just the first Jedi? A former sith? We get Great poo poo on Lukes thoughts on the force. We get Emo Vader at the end wanting to burn it all down. But nothing from Snoke? One line about light and dark balance?

Making him more interesting before you kill him off like a chump would make it a stronger beat, and make emo Vader, I don’t know, actually scary? Where did he come from? We get glimmers of just how strong Snoke is, but if there was just a slight bit more, I wouldn’t be hung up on it. And I’m talking about like maybe a minute of film? Five tops? It would make his death far more interesting. You could still get that he dies like a dumbass, but as it is now, it’s just yet another joke. In a movie, that has plenty of them.
after i saw tfa i assumed that snoke would not be of any real consequence to the plot, and as soon as we actually see him in his physical form in this one i figured he was dead. like, i get the "desire" to see his backstory explored and established more, but that's not the story they were telling. after rotj there was a power vacuum and resources and someone was going to step in. it is a political reality. it was snoke because they were already following a powerful sith guy so following this one will come naturally.

also the thing i am most struck by reading this thread is that there are people who took something from the star wars franchise as a whole other than "the battle between 'good' and 'evil' is unending and eternal and the physical battles we fight are just proxies for it."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

cams posted:

the reason so many people are reacting negatively to this is that they hold these types of stories dear. the original trilogy was entirely a story of a chosen one and his friends managing to actually accomplish their goal. new trilogy says "that's great, but the story never ends and you're just a small part of it."

So again we're back to "it's good mostly because it's triggering people"

You even say yourself "the reactions people are having to it are amazing". Is that the defining characteristic of a star war movie now in 2017?

It's kinda sad, OP

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

cams posted:

tfa pmuch explicitly set up the audience to think snoke was important and to think rey's origins are important because the entire theme of the movie is that they aren't important at all in the grand scheme of things. the movie is about how people are people who make mistakes and should not be seen as heroes or legends or creatures of myth.

tlj was imo only a b or b- film itself, mostly due to the bloatedness of the branching plots, but the reactions people are having to it are amazing

It's not even really about how people shouldn't necessarily be seen as legends or heroes. It's about how legends and heros are sometimes necessary for people to have hope, or needed for people to act, but in those stories of legend the truth of the humanity, or flaws in a person is often obfuscated.

Like no one cares or really needs to know that Luke's momentary failure was the reason that Ben because Kylo. They just know that he is the one who decided to sacrifice his life standing up to the First Order on the salt planet, so the resistance could escape and continue on.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

cams posted:

after i saw tfa i assumed that snoke would not be of any real consequence to the plot, and as soon as we actually see him in his physical form in this one i figured he was dead. like, i get the "desire" to see his backstory explored and established more, but that's not the story they were telling. after rotj there was a power vacuum and resources and someone was going to step in. it is a political reality. it was snoke because they were already following a powerful sith guy so following this one will come naturally.

also the thing i am most struck by reading this thread is that there are people who took something from the star wars franchise as a whole other than "the battle between 'good' and 'evil' is unending and eternal and the physical battles we fight are just proxies for it."

That’s a very fair take. And what I suggested wouldn’t change that, it would just make what they were going for stronger.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

You even say yourself "the reactions people are having to it are amazing". Is that the defining characteristic of a star war movie now in 2017?

It's kinda sad, OP
...it's good because i thought it was good and i enjoyed it. my enjoyment of weirdos on the internet is an entirely separate matter.

i kinda think you're a really dumb guy tbh

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, a series of movies that is so derivative of the originals and tries to play on the fond feelings people have for anything with that branding can't really make a good point about how the past is irrelevant. Also, Rey steals the ancient texts and the Resistance changes it's name to be more like the good guys from the original trilogy. I mean, if episode 9 ends with no implication that Rey is going to found a new school/order of space monks and the First Order isn't completely destroyed or there's some emphasis on the idea that the Republic won't return as such, then fair enough. But it seems more like the only reason they reset things was so that the new, Disney-created characters could achieve what the original characters achieved, more or less, rather than any true commitment to the theme of war never being over or of progression from old ideas.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 15, 2017

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So why retell ANH just to say "we're not doing that anymore"? who cares? start with something new instead of coming up with a plot contrivance that resets the plot and undoes the original movies.

I think that some people were so soured after the PT that when they wrote E7 they decided to make the most "Star Wars-y" movie they could think up, it was basically comfort food.
With the new movie that actually decided to do something original. I'm not saying everything worked (I think the movie has plenty of flaws to write about), but letting some things from the past die is one of the things that did.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

cams posted:

...it's good because i thought it was good and i enjoyed it. my enjoyment of weirdos on the internet is an entirely separate matter.

oh

oh no

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's almost like two totally different people wrote these two movies

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's kinda sad, OP

the only sad thing here is your memory of TFA and or your projection

but really

cams posted:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dexo posted:

It's not even really about how people shouldn't necessarily be seen as legends or heroes. It's about how legends and heros are sometimes necessary for people to have hope, or needed for people to act, but in those stories of legend the truth of the humanity, or flaws in a person is often obfuscated.

Like no one cares or really needs to know that Luke's momentary failure was the reason that Ben because Kylo. They just know that he is the one who decided to sacrifice his life standing up to the First Order on the salt planet, so the resistance could escape and continue on.
yeah i was overplaying the pessimistic nature of it. really it is most accurate to say that it is very, VERY pragmatic. heroes and legends are good explicitly because they give us the strength us to fight when necessary.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's kinda sad, OP

Do you honestly expect anything else from an SA thread?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Do you honestly expect anything else from an SA thread?

Not when a new star wars comes out anyway. Post TFA and post R1 were the same thing. It's interesting to see the cycle repeat

cams
Mar 28, 2003

so far all i know about you is that you didn't like this movie (and i guess the other new ones) and you think this is because you're smart and all the dumb people read wolverine and lobo comics. when i pointed this out you just got defensive and started posting default "i am the puppetmaster" stuff. this leads me to believe you engage in internet opinion fights to maintain a personal sense of superiority to people who like the space movies you don't like.

people who moralize their media opinions are defective and should be given assistance

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The Last Jedi is the entire Star Wars universe trying to talk itself into destroying liberalism and then concluding, "No, the problem is that Hillary was too old. Next time we'll nominate Lena Dunham and everything will work out."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

The Last Jedi is the entire Star Wars universe trying to talk itself into destroying liberalism and then concluding, "No, the problem is that Hillary was too old. Next time we'll nominate Lena Dunham and everything will work out."

:thunk:

Please Elaborate

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

cams posted:

so far all i know about you is that you didn't like this movie (and i guess the other new ones) and you think this is because you're smart and all the dumb people read wolverine and lobo comics. when i pointed this out you just got defensive and started posting default "i am the puppetmaster" stuff. this leads me to believe you engage in internet opinion fights to maintain a personal sense of superiority to people who like the space movies you don't like.

people who moralize their media opinions are defective and should be given assistance

you can PM me if you want to like actually no poo poo insult me this is a bit weird

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
We learn more about roses backstory than snokes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I almost pity all these feeble-minded plebeians crying for mummy’s milk because they were struck down and dumbfounded today by Rian Johnston’s cinematic genius... almost.

This, but largely without irony

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

you can PM me if you want to like actually no poo poo insult me this is a bit weird
why it's only fun if people can see it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

I had basically this exact thought, that the Jedi=The Democratic Party

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

General Dog posted:

I had basically this exact thought, that the Jedi=The Democratic Party

That’s the main thrust of the prequels, yes, that the Jedi are all self-satisfied, wealthy liberals with little interest in the suffering of regular people.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Despera posted:

This

"How did the empire of roj become the mega powerful one of the tfa?" This random force god! Who is he? Just some random guy!

That's good writing for ya!

zandert33 posted:

So they show us that the Jedi and Sith are done now by replacing the worst Sith in the series history with a giant crybaby Sith and the now mopey old Jedi with Rey who's really dull? Uhhhh.... what?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So between her things for Chewie and Justin Theroux, I guess Maz Kanata is confirmed for a size queen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Zoran posted:

That’s the main thrust of the prequels, yes, that the Jedi are all self-satisfied, wealthy liberals with little interest in the suffering of regular people.

Sure, that's a fair point for the prequels. Or even the Government that formed after RotJ.

But how in the world do you pull that from this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tree Dude posted:

To all the kids watching Star Wars Rey being a nobody (and the kid in the last shot) communicates that anybody can be a cool Force using Jedi person. You don't need special blood or anything!
Ok cool so I wasnt imagining things when I saw the kid use the force to levitate the broom into his hand? Because it was a split second thing that was never expounded upon and half the people I saw the movie with never even saw it.

• Locked thread